PDA

View Full Version : My question, and a serious one.

Msujd164
12-01-2015, 01:12 PM
IF Mullen is indeed shopping his name around and interviewing, and as some have said, "wants out", then what are your feelings if he does not land any of these jobs and is back with us next year? Do you trust the guy who tried to leave us this year/didn't want to be here? Do you believe he would have a fire to lead us? Honestly those would be very big concerns of mine if I were Stricklin.

Sacrifice
12-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Was it Croom who told the recruits "if your looking, we're looking"?

Swagger Vance
I dont really care what happens one way or the other. Its all out of our control and a waste of time to worry about. But, It is obvious that Mullen does not have the same fire and tenacity that he had when he arrived. Maybe its maturity, maybe its lack of interest. Who knows, but you can definatly see a Mark Richt kind of quality there, where winning most of your games and going to bowl games is just fine as long as youre taking care of your kids and keeping your program stable.

Big4Dawg
Was it Croom who told the recruits "if your looking, we're looking"?

no, that was Mullen.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 01:22 PM
IF Mullen is indeed shopping his name around and interviewing, and as some have said, "wants out", then what are your feelings if he does not land any of these jobs and is back with us next year? Do you trust the guy who tried to leave us this year/didn't want to be here? Do you believe he would have a fire to lead us? Honestly those would be very big concerns of mine if I were Stricklin.

This is what we've been talking about since Saturday night. It's a huge concern - I know a bunch of people don't want to believe Dan has interviewed, and the Maryland rumors and news got out of hand, but bottom line there is something to this and it should be a concern. I liked CD's post this morning and I still hope it proves to be correct, but we'll know within a week (because Dan will be gone) or by the bowl game if Dan is committed. In the next 5 weeks, we'll know if Dan is truly committed or not because it will be obvious.

I have interviewed for a job in the past, nearly left, and then come back and recommitted. But it's a process and takes work for anyone that goes through that separation, especially if where you work is a big part of your identity. I think we'll know pretty quickly if Dan is recommitted or not.

Blackout
12-01-2015, 01:22 PM
What is about to happen here???

Dan: "Hey guys I guess you heard I'm doing everything I can to bail on you but nobody wanted me... So let's make up! Y'all will respect me and bust your ass for me right? RIGHT?!?! You recruits want to come play here right???? I pinky swear I want to be the MSU coach!

drummerdawg
12-01-2015, 01:23 PM
This is the problem I see with that scenario. He would lose fan support, recruiting would be bad because recruits will be unsure about him staying and I'm sure Dan won't put any more effort in to recruiting, Dak will be gone and there will almost be nothing to get excited about next year "IF" all of this happens. I'm not sure what we should do but Dan really needs to find a place to go and quickly.

ScoobaDawg
12-01-2015, 01:26 PM
no, that was Mullen.

Nope it was Croom. Just found it

UMCDawg16
12-01-2015, 01:27 PM
At this point, Mullen has to go. He will be doing the program more harm than good if he stays. Everyone knows he wants out at this point.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-01-2015, 01:28 PM
It's pretty funny Mullen criticized Collins for making a lateral move last year.

PendingTransaction
12-01-2015, 01:29 PM
If Scott doesn't take this opportunity to grow a pair and take this program back from Dan, he will 17 this program up.

Big4Dawg
12-01-2015, 01:31 PM

I thought Dan's whole things is he sees taking other visit as looking around and if you're looking around, we will look around. thats why most of our commits only take 1 OV.

Sacrifice
12-01-2015, 01:33 PM

Yeah Croom said it back in 2008. I honestly don't think Strickland has the balls to do anything with Mullen. Every time I see those two together, they look like best friends that just got finished having family dinner with each other.

FISHDAWG
12-01-2015, 02:02 PM
I thought Dan's whole things is he sees taking other visit as looking around and if you're looking around, we will look around. thats why most of our commits only take 1 OV.

then he should apply that same mentality to himself ... if he doesn't want recruits visiting elsewhere then he should know how the fans, administration, boosters, AND RECRUITS feel about his hypocrisy .... if this is true, then it's a game changer for me. I have been one of his stronger supporters here and now I feel like an idiot

AROB44
12-01-2015, 02:19 PM
No different that when the Kang tried like hell to get the Bama job. He wanted to leave....but he stayed and we did just fine (until his last 3 years). What Mullen does is totally out of my control and I will not lose any sleep over it. I do hope he stays because unlike some, I like what he has done and the direction I feel the program is going. Mullen should do what he feels best for his career and his family. No different that what anyone on this message board would do.

PassInterference
12-01-2015, 02:20 PM

You lost me at "IF". No serious question is a hypothetical one.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 02:31 PM
No different that when the Kang tried like hell to get the Bama job. He wanted to leave....but he stayed and we did just fine (until his last 3 years). What Mullen does is totally out of my control and I will not lose any sleep over it. I do hope he stays because unlike some, I like what he has done and the direction I feel the program is going. Mullen should do what he feels best for his career and his family. No different that what anyone on this message board would do.

Yep. Funny some body asked who was better, Dan or Jackie the other day and people completely forget that Jackie was a lot lot closer to being fired from here than Mullen has ever been and Jackie really wanted the Bama job. I don't blame him because of the connections and all. But his level of pursuit of Bama was above anything Mullen has done. The Miami and Georgia jobs are the closest he has gotten to Jackie's pursuit of another job.

starkvegasdawg
12-01-2015, 02:33 PM
If he wants out but ends up back here I think he tries to win as many as possible to make him as attractive a candidate as possible next year.

AROB44
12-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Thank you. At least some of us on here have a memory that goes back past last Saturday night.

dparker
12-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm not worrying about whether he stays or goes either but him missing out could be a good thing too. If you really want out (again not saying he does) and no one takes you because the on field results aren't good enough; are you going to come back and half-ass it? No, you'll bust your ass to prove them wrong and get your name in for the next big job. That's the whole problem with the "Dan lost us the Egg Bowl because he wanted out narrative". If you really want to polish your resume you do it by winning. Not by mailing it in.

DistrictDawg92
12-01-2015, 03:25 PM
It becomes pretty clear when you think of it in a sense of women. Would you want to stay with a woman who appreciates you're money but would jump at the first man she considers more attractive than you? Do you choose to stick with her bull shit and allow her to have you by the balls? or move on and realize that there are many fish in the sea.
The fact is we are married to a woman that doesn't love us and we are basically just sitting here waiting on divorce papers. I appreciate Mullen for laying out the foundation for success at Mississippi State, and part of me says "if he stays he will find his passion back and everything will go back to normal", but realistic me says "something has changed, he doesn't want to be here, and hopefully 2 years from now we won't be looking back at this point of time wishing we had moved on then".

It's a very tricky situation, and if Mullen finds it in him to stay and give a ****, he needs to come out publicly saying he is the coach at Mississippi State and will be until he is told to leave. It really is that simple, and if he were to say that, 99% of the fan base would have his back. But I just don't see him saying that and I think that means it might be time to start looking around ourselves. This is a time when we as fans and especially our athletic department can not act like we are still "poor ole Mississippi State". We have nice facilities, a beautiful stadium, a more than passionate fan base and can easily pay a top 15 coaching salary. Our Athletic Department needs to be a step ahead in this situation and not get caught off guard IF shit hits the fan.

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2015, 03:30 PM
I keep hearing that Mullen isn't getting the job. Richt is going to pick first and between SC, Maryland and Miami, with his roots, Miami makes the most sense.

My money is that Mullen would have landed the gig until Richt was fired. Once that happened, I don't think he was number 1.

Maroons
12-01-2015, 04:21 PM
If Scott doesn't take this opportunity to grow a pair and take this program back from Dan, he will 17 this program up.

What are you suggesting? Fire him if he doesn't take another job? Really???

dawgpound
12-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping he leaves wherever that might be. He has gone to far to come back and still unite the fan base around him. By publicly looking around and wanting to jump ship he has divided the fan base to a point that there is no making up.

PendingTransaction
12-01-2015, 04:43 PM
What are you suggesting? Fire him if he doesn't take another job? Really???

No, I'm not suggesting that he fire him. What I am saying is Scott needs to tell Dan that he screwed up. And as a result of this screw up things are changing. Then proceed to be his boss. Dan has dismissed Scott for years. He cusses Scott like he thinks he's Saban.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 04:55 PM
No, I'm not suggesting that he fire him. What I am saying is Scott needs to tell Dan that he screwed up. And as a result of this screw up things are changing. Then proceed to be his boss. Dan has dismissed Scott for years. He cusses Scott like he thinks he's Saban.

I believe Dan and Stricklin have already spoken about this and the coaching searches. Miami called us last week about talking with Dan if I'm not mistaken. Someone closer might can collaborate or clarify that though.

ScottH
12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
I believe Dan and Stricklin have already spoken about this and the coaching searches.

If they haven't Keenum should fire Stricklin today.

JUNKYARDAWG
12-01-2015, 05:25 PM
I am a huge Mullen fan, have been from the jump. He brought fire and passion to the program when it was truly needed and we have had winning seasons ever year and he had us knocking on the door last year. We lacked depth to kick it in but we were talked about nation wide and how that didn't result in a top recruiting class is unbelievable and unacceptable. If Dan doesn't want to be here he needs to go. The last thing we need is for him to continue to go thru the motions and drag it out a year or two when his mind was made up mid way thru this season it seems. He lost his fire somewhere along the way. Firing Mullen is not an option but what Scott can do is pick his assistant coaches for him. Have a house cleaning and then bring in an offense or defense coordinator that has head coaching potential and will be ready to step up and take over the program the minute Mullen decides to leave. A coach in waiting and some assistant coaches that are proven recruiters is what is needed yesterday and who knows a firm hand from Scott may be all it takes to have Dan fall back in line and try to finish what he started here. If he couldn't live with that then he could resign and if the right pieces were put in place we shouldn't miss a beat!