PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about these 5-7 teams getting to go to a bowl game this year?

Jack Lambert
12-01-2015, 11:06 AM
I think it Horse Poop. If the NCAA is going to allow so many bowl games they need to come up with something else. Maybe letting FCS teams participate. Letting 6-6 teams kind of demised getting to go to a bowl game but now five win teams is just Horse poop. I like the bowls because that means more football but dang 5 win teams really is getting bad.

smootness
12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Honestly, who cares. I mean, I can't imagine the fans of those schools are actually excited about the bowl game, but the bowls have already been diluted to the point that making one doesn't really mean much of anything except extra practice time.

Big4Dawg
12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
9-3/8-4 gets you fired. 5-6 gets you to a bowl.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 11:16 AM
I think it Horse Poop. If the NCAA is going to allow so many bowl games they need to come up with something else. Maybe letting FCS teams participate. Letting 6-6 teams kind of demised getting to go to a bowl game but now five win teams is just Horse poop. I like the bowls because that means more football but dang 5 win teams really is getting bad.

Any idea which ones are likely to go? I heard on TV that Pinkel was going to decline to coach a 5 - 7 team if they were offered... which I think is the right thing to do. 6-6 is really stretching it already.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Any idea which ones are likely to go? I heard on TV that Pinkel was going to decline to coach a 5 - 7 team if they were offered... which I think is the right thing to do. 6-6 is really stretching it already.

ESPN said based on APR Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State had the highest at .985. They are followed by Minnesota .975, San Jose State.975, and Rice at .973. Mizzou said they will not go but Nebraska said yes. Don't know about the others but if these coaches still get bonuses for going to a bowl game, lucky bastards.

K-State still has one game left to play so I guess they are in no matter what.

Blackout
12-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Who cares

TUSK
12-01-2015, 11:25 AM
I remember when "we" went to SIXTEEN bowls and goin' "WTF????"

My preference would be only top 20 to 30 teams get bowl invites...

getting a bowl invite has meant very little for a long time... Hell, NYD bowls have lost a lot of luster, IMO...

starkvegasdawg
12-01-2015, 11:34 AM
When you every company in the world sponsoring a bowl it's not going to change because of the $$$. That's why we'll continue to see two piss ant teams play in the Brokeback Mountain Astroglide bowl. It just is what it is.

BulldogBear
12-01-2015, 11:35 AM
I hate it Jack. This is coming from a bowl advocate thay does not want to expand past 4 for the playoff. It's th3 one area I always agreed with Phil Steele about. I loooooooovvvvvveee bowl season and always have since I was a child.

But there are too many. And we keep adding more. We took something awesome and cheapened it. They need to actually cull back by 10-15.

Blackout
12-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Where are the concussion Hawks on this. More football is bad right???

msudawg1200
12-01-2015, 11:48 AM
I hate it Jack. This is coming from a bowl advocate thay does not want to expand past 4 for the playoff. It's th3 one area I always agreed with Phil Steele about. I loooooooovvvvvveee bowl season and always have since I was a child.

But there are too many. And we keep adding more. We took something awesome and cheapened it. They need to actually cull back by 10-15.

I feel the same way. I love the bowls and always have. I like seeing the matchup's of teams that don't usually play, but this has gotten absurd. I think it needs to be cut back to at least 30-32 bowls. It's cheapened the reward.

chef dixon
12-01-2015, 11:55 AM
This will get flamed, but let's just be honest, the concept of bowls is stupid. The tradition, getting to play 1 more game, making a trip out of it etc is neat but its just really silly to play one more game that means absolutely jack crap. Might as well wear Upward jerseys and not keep score. I look forward to the day when about 16 teams make a playoff and can actually have something to play for.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 11:58 AM
I remember when "we" went to SIXTEEN bowls and goin' "WTF????"

My preference would be only top 20 to 30 teams get bowl invites...

getting a bowl invite has meant very little for a long time... Hell, NYD bowls have lost a lot of luster, IMO...

It's another way to get cash out of everyone's pockets, that's what it's become. Makes the football season a little bit longer which is kind of nice, especially if you get tired of the NFL like I do.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2015, 12:03 PM
It's another way to get cash out of everyone's pockets, that's what it's become. Makes the football season a little bit longer which is kind of nice, especially if you get tired of the NFL like I do.

I will not go to Nashville or Charlotte for a bowl game. I would consider Texas. I will go to all other bowls.

Big4Dawg
12-01-2015, 12:11 PM
With 12 games being played now, I thought it would be interesting to go look at some of our Sherrill's years and see if we would have made a bowl with an extra game (assuming we won the OOC extra game).

Here are the Sherrill's seasons:
91 - 7-5 - bowl w/ out extra win
92 - 7-5 - bowl w/ out extra win
93 - 4-5-2 - I was 4 during 1993, how did we have two ties?
94 - 8-4 - bowl w/ out extra win
95 - 3-8 - no bowl
96 - 5-6 - bowl w/ extra win
97 - 7-4 - why didn't we go to a bowl this year?
98 - 8-5 - bowl
99 - 10-2 - bowl
00 - 8-4 - bowl

So assuming we got an extra win, and 2 games in 93 didn't end in a tie and we went to a bowl in 97, we would have made it to 9/10 bowl games 91-00. Doesn't mean much but interesting

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 12:14 PM

There are too many bowls period.

Bothrops
12-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Yep, and having 3 freaking bowl games in the state of Alabama is absolutely ridiculous.

ScoobaDawg
12-01-2015, 01:05 PM
ESPN said based on APR Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State had the highest at .985. They are followed by Minnesota .975, San Jose State.975, and Rice at .973. Mizzou said they will not go but Nebraska said yes. Don't know about the others but if these coaches still get bonuses for going to a bowl game, lucky bastards.

K-State still has one game left to play so I guess they are in no matter what.

Nebraska has already said they coaches would get no bonuses for playing in a bowl.

shrimp
12-01-2015, 01:05 PM
We tied the state of Arkansas in 1993. Tied Ark State at home and tied Arkansas in Little Rock. Bad year.

With 12 games being played now, I thought it would be interesting to go look at some of our Sherrill's years and see if we would have made a bowl with an extra game (assuming we won the OOC extra game).

95 - 3-8 - no bowl
98 - 8-5 - bowl
99 - 10-2 - bowl
00 - 8-4 - bowl

So assuming we got an extra win, and 2 games in 93 didn't end in a tie and we went to a bowl in 97, we would have made it to 9/10 bowl games 91-00. Doesn't mean much but interesting

Dallas_Dawg
12-01-2015, 01:06 PM

95 - 3-8 - no bowl
98 - 8-5 - bowl
99 - 10-2 - bowl
00 - 8-4 - bowl

93 - Arkansas and Arkansas State, believe it or not
97 - we got screwed, wasn't near as many bowls as there are now

ScoobaDawg
12-01-2015, 01:07 PM
There are too many bowls period.

Exactly. but that won't ever change to how much money is made at the bowls...
It's impossible to know how many teams will be bowl eligible at the end of the year. and this will be the first time it will be multiple teams.
It's only happened with 3 teams prior

"In the past 20 years, only three teams with losing records have received bowl berths: Georgia Tech (2012), UCLA (2011) and North Texas (2001)."

Quaoarsking
12-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Limit it to 25 bowls, but let any 6-6+ teams not selected schedule their own game in December. That way you never get .500+ teams left out (which happens most years) or sub-.500 teams in bowls.

OR let every team not selected play an extra game. Those loser teams need the extra practice more than anyone...

AusTexDawg
12-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Limit it to 25 bowls, but let any 6-6+ teams not selected schedule their own game in December. That way you never get .500+ teams left out (which happens most years) or sub-.500 teams in bowls.

OR let every team not selected play an extra game. Those loser teams need the extra practice more than anyone...

While the powers that be would never go for it, ^this is an interesting idea, and State could definitely have benefited from extra practice and game experience following some of our middling seasons.

ESPN is total or part owner of most of the bowl games, and most of the newer ones were created solely as a platform for for more TV advertising more than anything else. There are around 125 FBS teams —> 20 or 25 bowls is plenty to reward good seasons.

That said, I do think State has benefited from the expansion of bowls. In the late '90s, when we were left out of the post-season, we were told it was because we didn't turn on TV sets or put butts in seats. We've had a chance to show many of the bowls that we can show up as well as some of the traditional power programs.