PDA

View Full Version : The realm of the in between

BayouDawg
12-01-2015, 01:22 AM
On this board we have people who have gone to extremes on both sides. There's people who think Dan has no flaws and should be worshipped even after we just got out willed and out coached by a bafoon like Freeze for the 3rd time in 4 years. Then there's the other side where people believe Dan has checked out and needs to go. I'm trying to make my home in the realm of the in between. Dan has done some really wonderful things for this university there's no denying it. At the same time he still has some flaws that he needs to correct if we are going to take that next step as a program. I don't know if Dan has checked out or wants out, but it was pretty obvious to me that something is different about him. Even Chad Bumphis said on The Slant that the team seemed different and Dan seemed different when he was on the sideline with the team Saturday night. Maybe Dan is shopping his name and wants out or maybe he's burnt out and needs to get away from the every day grind for a couple of weeks to reenergize. All that said if Dan is still the coach here for next season he really needs to work on some things. He needs to figure out a way to upgrade recruiting, he needs to quit micromanaging his assistants and stay out of the defense, he needs to cut bait with Hev (likely won't happen). In recruiting we don't have to land top 5 or top 10 classes every year, but there is no reason we shouldn't be in the 16-22 range every year. 3 or 4 straight top 20 classes would go a long way in helping us reach our goal of getting to Atlanta. The reason we don't do this is because Dan goes after system guys and that's all fine and dandy until like this year your system guys don't develop the way you invisioned (the o line specifically). Tim Tebow wrote in his book that when he was on his official visit to Florida Dan told him it didn't matter who the quarterback running his system was because his system is so great. That's extremely arrogant and you would think that having Tyson Lee running your system for a year would be a nice slice of humble pie. Now don't get me wrong Dan's system is very good but it's not above criticism. He does a great job at developing quarterbacks there is simply no denying it, but he needs to continue to evolve as a coach and humble himself or we will never reach the next level as a program.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Good post, but personally I like Swagger Dan better than Humble Danno. That's the guy I saw on Saturday and I'd like to beat his ass with a lead pipe honestly, he looked whooped and like he was booking a moving fan during halftime rather than getting his shit together.

Get some fire Dan!!! Outwork Freeze for the next 60 days on the recruiting trail, bust your ass in bowl prep, and let's get this thing back on track.

BayouDawg
12-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Good post, but personally I like Swagger Dan better than Humble Danno. That's the guy I saw on Saturday and I'd like to beat his ass with a lead pipe honestly, he looked whooped and like he was booking a moving fan during halftime rather than getting his shit together.

Get some fire Dan!!! Outwork Freeze for the next 60 days on the recruiting trail, bust your ass in bowl prep, and let's get this thing back on track.

Oh I totally agree we need swagger Dan. What I meant by humbling himself is that he needs to realize he's an offensive guy and to stay out of the defense mainly and a few other things as mentioned. But he definitely needs to get his mojo back. Freezus has pulled a Dr. Evil and stolen Dan Powers mojo

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 02:12 AM
So, we have actual players that played for Dan coming out and saying that "something has changed" with Dan? Very interesting info for the "how do you know he has changed" crowd.

JohnnyQuid
12-01-2015, 07:26 AM
So, we have actual players that played for Dan coming out and saying that "something has changed" with Dan? Very interesting info for the "how do you know he has changed" crowd.

had one of same players say they wouldn't know if dan was leaving or not.. according to one of these rumorists round here.

it's a rumor on the internet.
just sayin'.

Statefan
12-01-2015, 10:37 AM
The same player in the same interview said he talked to Dan pregame and he was fired up and ready to go (insinuating he was taking the game seriously)

I don't buy that he doesn't care but I could buy that he has gotten a bit complacent with 18 wins and his senior QB and this game is a kick in the mouth telling him to earn that 4 mill over the off season

BayouDawg
12-01-2015, 01:03 PM

I don't know what's going through Dan's mind, but he just seemed different to me and I think something is going on. I don't know what but I guess we'll just have to let it play out and hope for the best

BayouDawg
12-01-2015, 01:06 PM
The same player in the same interview said he talked to Dan pregame and he was fired up and ready to go (insinuating he was taking the game seriously)

I don't buy that he doesn't care but I could buy that he has gotten a bit complacent with 18 wins and his senior QB and this game is a kick in the mouth telling him to earn that 4 mill over the off season

He did say that and then he said something seemed different on the sideline with the team and Dan. Maybe Dan just needs to recharge his batteries or maybe he needs to take a mission trip to Haiti lol. But he just seemed different to me.

Maroonthirteen
12-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Im in-between myself. While I do believe Dan did in fact give his best effort last week and cared about that game. I have scratched my head all year about a number of things. One being Malik Dear not playing RB but I digress....the point is, I'm smart enough to realize the guy isn't perfect and makes questionable decisions. However he is much MUCH better than any coach we have ever had.

I don't blame him for looking at the UGA and USC job. He is in his 7th year here. His rival has an upper hand in talent and recruiting from cheating their ass and nothing is being done about it. The fans are getting so illogical that they are using his record vs the greatest football program in the FCS as some indication that he can't coach. Which is ridiculous. However I wish he would be a little more discreet about his job search. But I also realize all in the media isn't true. Also, it is the business of college football for coaches to look around and be fired in just a few seasons. Hell, Sherrill tried to leave. Was turned down by the NFL. We almost fired him after two bad seasons. He turned it around and tried to get the Bama job. Coaches come and go...especially now a days.