PDA

View Full Version : Juniors... Which ones leaving?

msstate7
11-30-2015, 11:58 PM
I've pretty much conceded jones and bear, but really hope we can hold on to Ross, James, aj, and Benny.

Anybody got any inside info?

CadaverDawg
12-01-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bear returns, and possibly even Jones. I expect a "Jones is gone" response...but I'll wait until I see it happen. Just a hunch.

We return Bear, Ross, Jones, Jefferson...we'll be dangerous next year. May not compete for the West, but we'll be better than most think.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm expecting Bear and Chris Jones to be gone. Maybe Nick James. I've heard rumblings about Richie Brown but I think he probably could benefit from coming back personally.

Cole Carter went through senior day, and I've heard that Jake Thomas and Gus Walley might not return.

msstate7
12-01-2015, 12:18 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bear returns, and possibly even Jones. I expect a "Jones is gone" response...but I'll wait until I see it happen. Just a hunch.

We return Bear, Ross, Jones, Jefferson...we'll be dangerous next year. May not compete for the West, but we'll be better than most think.

If we get our juniors back, we could potentially be a good team if some CBs step up and rankin can lock down LT effectively

MarketingBully
12-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Hard to say right now. My hunch is Jones and Wilson are gone. Jones' deliverables are just too awesome. If he has a great pro combine, I would have to think he would be a first rounder.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Bear is more out the door than Chris. Bear is ready to test the waters of pro ball & I would be very surprised if he came back. Chris isn't 100% on leaving but I just can't see him returning. It would be great if he came back but I'm not expecting it. I don't see anybody else leaving.

MarketingBully
12-01-2015, 12:21 AM
If we get our juniors back, we could potentially be a good team if some CBs step up and rankin can lock down LT effectively

The talent on our OL would go up immensely next year with Rankin and assuming we get Lashley. Those are your anchor right and left tackles and guys you can build a bad ass line around.

MarketingBully
12-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Bear is more out the door than Chris. Bear is ready to test the waters of pro ball & I would be very surprised if he came back. Chris isn't 100% on leaving but I just can't see him returning. It would be great if he came back but I'm not expecting it. I don't see anybody else leaving.

That's my view point too and when we get AJ Brown and plug him into Bear's spot, we won't miss a beat. Paul Jones said Brown reminded him of Treadwell. If that's the case, we are only going to see him here three years. I do agree with Paul too that a kid from Starkville with that much talent and presence around him I just don't see anywhere but at State. I think the draw to play for his home town will be too much in the end.

Statefan
12-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Any chance Ross leaves?

sandwolf
12-01-2015, 12:30 AM
I will be interested to see who all declares. I just got through looking at a few different mock drafts (walterfootball.com, drafttek.com and draftsite.com) and Chris Jones is not listed as a 1st rounder in a single one of them.....only one of them had him going in the 2nd round and the rest showed him in the 3rd round. Aside from Jones, I think Wilson was listed as a 3rd rounder in one of the mocks and that was it. I know that the mock drafts aren't usually very accurate, but like I said, I will be interested to see who all declares.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2015, 12:38 AM
Any chance Ross leaves?

Don't see it. He's a great player but he doesn't have the measurables or combine #'s to generate a high draft grade.

deltadawg99
12-01-2015, 12:39 AM
Bear is still very raw and could benefit from another year. Hard to believe he's only played football for 4 years. He certainly has all of the physical tools, but another year learning the game could increase his draft stock.

I don't know how much jones can improve his stock. He drew a lot of attention from most teams and got double teamed a lot. He was more consistent the final 3 or 4 games of the year and that's what teams seem to remember. He'll be a combine freak.

Beaver
12-01-2015, 12:44 AM
I have a relative who works with CJ's mom. She says he's ready to go. -- I still say he needs another year, but that's more wishful thinking than an expert opinion.

Dawg61
12-01-2015, 12:46 AM
I really want to see one more year of Bear & Ross. If Bear puts in the work he has 1st round potential. He won't sniff that this year if he leaves.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 01:07 AM
I have a relative who works with CJ's mom. She says he's ready to go. -- I still say he needs another year, but that's more wishful thinking than an expert opinion.

CJ will be gone- he's a first round grade for sure. His worst outcome is what Preston saw last year which was really, really good at the end of the day. Wish him well and look forward to seeing what Cory Thomas can do in that spot on a full-time basis.

Bear needs to stay but won't, he'll figure it out. Guy is very talented and if he works hard, makes the most of it and has a little luck he'll have a nice NFL career.

JoseBrown
12-01-2015, 01:08 AM

What she probably means is that he, personally, is ready to go. Doubt she's implying anything else. Same with Bear, I believe he's been planning to go the whole time if he can get there and improve his financial standing a little.

Beaver
12-01-2015, 01:34 AM
What she probably means is that he, personally, is ready to go. Doubt she's implying anything else.

I'm sure she's ready for him to go too. I would be as a father I think... Because especially with a DT, one play - a blow to the knee, can cost you millions.

But you're right, he's not unhappy with MSU, just ready to move on.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 02:07 AM
Don't see it. He's a great player but he doesn't have the measurables or combine #'s to generate a high draft grade.

I am really happy with how Fred progressed throughout the year. He started to become more and more of a deep threat and I only see him improving next year with MSU.

RadtechBulldog
12-01-2015, 02:16 AM
Chris is gone. He's already told mama

Bothrops
12-01-2015, 03:38 AM
CJ will be gone- he's a first round grade for sure. His worst outcome is what Preston saw last year which was really, really good at the end of the day. Wish him well and look forward to seeing what Cory Thomas can do in that spot on a full-time basis.

Bear needs to stay but won't, he'll figure it out. Guy is very talented and if he works hard, makes the most of it and has a little luck he'll have a nice NFL career.

Damn, I had forgotten about Cory Thomas. I'm surprised he didn't play a lot more this year, especially late.

JohnnyQuid
12-01-2015, 05:18 AM

I'm sure you're right about wilson, but like someone else said he seems pretty raw still and not a great route runner ( hell he might be but my untrained eye says that). Im sure the nfl loves his size and potential tho. wish he'd stay, but won't hold my breath at this point.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-01-2015, 06:54 AM
I've heard that Jake Thomas and Gus Walley might not return.
Nothing new on Thomas, there was talk earlier in the season that he would be on medical scholarship due to a neck injury.

dawgoneyall
12-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Bear is not ready and the NFL will tell him so.

bulldawg28
12-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Bear is gone. Scouts already know this and feel they can develop him in the NFL based on his God given ability and potential.

Jones is already gone..self explanatory on him.

Dawgology
12-01-2015, 08:35 AM
I'm sure that both Bear and CJ will go but I think they would both benefit from staying another year and probably improve their draft stock. You kind of saw things click for Jones at the end of the season so he could put up monster numbers next year and be positioned better in the draft with a lot of his competition leaving for the draft this year....Bear too

msstate7
12-01-2015, 08:45 AM
So the consensus is bear and jones are gone... Aj and Simmons are a must bc they have similar talent and should be able to step right in.

Aj
Ross/Dear/Myles
Gray
Justin Johnson/Thomas/d. Jones/Roberson

That group will make it an easy transition for the new qb assuming rankin can come in and lock down LT

GreenheadDawg
12-01-2015, 08:50 AM
So the consensus is bear and jones are gone... Aj and Simmons are a must bc they have similar talent and should be able to step right in.

Aj
Ross/Dear/Myles
Gray
Justin Johnson/Thomas/d. Jones/Roberson

That group will make it an easy transition for the new qb assuming rankin can come in and lock down LT

Step right in and do what? Play 10 snaps a year. Don't you know we will have seniors that need to play! Practice warriors.....

Jack Lambert
12-01-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm expecting Bear and Chris Jones to be gone. Maybe Nick James. I've heard rumblings about Richie Brown but I think he probably could benefit from coming back personally.

Cole Carter went through senior day, and I've heard that Jake Thomas and Gus Walley might not return.

I think all of them can benefit from coming back. I just hope they think it through. I guess a lot of it will come down to family needs and being able to help them out.

msstate7
12-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Step right in and do what? Play 10 snaps a year. Don't you know we will have seniors that need to play! Practice warriors.....

They'll play... Bear and jones did as freshmen

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2015, 09:07 AM
A few things:

1. People thinking Lashley will help our line next year are a little out there IMO. He's a 5 star talent but extremely raw. He'll redshirt and hopefully make the 2 deep in 2017.

2. I think Bear & Jones will go, but IMO, both should come back. For Jones, I believe coming back and playing like he did the last month, will make him a 1st rounder. For Bear, we make way too much out of the round a player will go in and not enough out of the fact that NFL coaches don't have the time or desire to develop players. They just want to win and, if you currently can't help them do that, they have no use for you. Josh Robinson maximized his draft value, but now he's on the practice squad because he wasn't ready for the NFL. If he'd have come back for his SR year, he would've gotten more reps and been more prepared to be a successful NFL player. Don't underestimate that in college you can get reps and improve. Bear may go in the 4th round, he won't stick because he's, currently, too raw.

For a 6'5" WR, has anyone ever seen Bear catch a ball at its highest point over the DBs? For a 6'5" guy, why isn't he better of fade routes? He's good at using his body to block DBs out, but he's extremely average to below avg at using his height to beat defenders. He's a good talent, but he needs more reps or he'll also be on the practice squad halfway through the season.

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2015, 09:16 AM
I think Fred will definitely evaluate where his draft grade is, he was the leading Wr in the Sec this year and I would think at worst a 4th round pick.

I think he is faster than people give him credit for, and he has amazing hands. Would love to have him back.

preachermatt83
12-01-2015, 09:22 AM
When Bear gets his draft grade he will be coming back. Jones is gone and Nick James wants to be but he won't risk not getting drafted.

preachermatt83
12-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Bear is not ready and the NFL will tell him so.

This

BB30
12-01-2015, 09:31 AM
A few things:

1. People thinking Lashley will help our line next year are a little out there IMO. He's a 5 star talent but extremely raw. He'll redshirt and hopefully make the 2 deep in 2017.

2. I think Bear & Jones will go, but IMO, both should come back. For Jones, I believe coming back and playing like he did the last month, will make him a 1st rounder. For Bear, we make way too much out of the round a player will go in and not enough out of the fact that NFL coaches don't have the time or desire to develop players. They just want to win and, if you currently can't help them do that, they have no use for you. Josh Robinson maximized his draft value, but now he's on the practice squad because he wasn't ready for the NFL. If he'd have come back for his SR year, he would've gotten more reps and been more prepared to be a successful NFL player. Don't underestimate that in college you can get reps and improve. Bear may go in the 4th round, he won't stick because he's, currently, too raw.

For a 6'5" WR, has anyone ever seen Bear catch a ball at its highest point over the DBs? For a 6'5" guy, why isn't he better of fade routes? He's good at using his body to block DBs out, but he's extremely average to below avg at using his height to beat defenders. He's a good talent, but he needs more reps or he'll also be on the practice squad halfway through the season.

Completely agree on bear he needs some work. He is big and physical but lacks the ability to play the ball and is not a burner. He definitely needs another year.

Saltydog
12-01-2015, 09:38 AM
like we wanted him too but yes, his measurable are very good.

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2015, 09:42 AM
This

He is at worst a 3rd round pick. I don't think he is ever a first round pick, he gone.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Only losing Wilson and Jones is pretty much our best case scenario and was to be expected from the beginning of the season.

preachermatt83
12-01-2015, 10:25 AM
He is at worst a 3rd round pick. I don't think he is ever a first round pick, he gone.

He will get a grade of 4th- 5th round grade and will come back.

pdawg10msu
12-01-2015, 10:46 AM

He is bigger the Odell right?

JohnnyQuid
12-01-2015, 11:00 AM
I think Fred will definitely evaluate where his draft grade is, he was the leading Wr in the Sec this year and I would think at worst a 4th round pick.

I think he is faster than people give him credit for, and he has amazing hands. Would love to have him back.

I think fred is a great receiver but also possibly benefited from bear being opposite drawing alot of attention.
not to take anything away from him and I am less than a novice. Id be kinda shocked if he went tho.. just pure speculative no info shock

Irondawg
12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
You guys are forgetting the academic side of things. We're assuming none of these guys tossed the books aside this semester. You would hope they would all be working on their degree but some of them may have bet heavy on the NFL which means they'll be leaving no matter what.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Yes.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2015, 11:07 AM
You guys are forgetting the academic side of things. We're assuming none of these guys tossed the books aside this semester. You would hope they would all be working on their degree but some of them may have bet heavy on the NFL which means they'll be leaving no matter what.

We don't usually have this problem. When is the last time 1 of our players were ineligible for the bowl game due to grades?

JohnnyQuid
12-01-2015, 11:09 AM

odell has huge hands I think around 10 inches. Prolly doesn't hurt for the those 1 hand grabs

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2015, 11:15 AM
odell has huge hands I think around 10 inches. Prolly doesn't hurt for the those 1 hand grabs

He also killed it at the combine. He had the best 20 & 60yd shuttles for WR. To go along with a 4.43 40yd dash, 38.5" VJ, & 10' BJ. Not to mention he has some of the best hands to come out of college maybe since Larry Fitzgerald.

pdawg10msu
12-01-2015, 11:31 AM
He also killed it at the combine. He had the best 20 & 60yd shuttles for WR. To go along with a 4.43 40yd dash, 38.5" VJ, & 10' BJ. Not to mention he has some of the best hands to come out of college maybe since Larry Fitzgerald.

Do we know Fred's 40yd dash and VJ?

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Fred is faster than people give him credit for.

Also, Kelvin Benjamin was a first round pick - there is zero chance Bear falls past the third round. Bear has what every NFL team has - he can win one on one battles. That is what the NFL is all about.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Mid 4.50's & low 30's.

chef dixon
12-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Comparing Ross to Odell? Come on dudes.

To me Ross isn't really the prototype guy you'd expect to jump to the NFL early. Remember half his catches this year have been screen passes, not exactly what the NFL wants. Great college player and I'd go out on a limb and say he will no doubt be back in M&W next season.

RAYn_Man
12-01-2015, 12:21 PM
I hope we stretch the field next year. Gray, F. Brown, Bear(if he returns), Gabe have all shown they can go deep. Fitz and Staley have shown they throw good deep balls, not 30 yard back shoulder bullets like Dak. I don't even care if we complete half of them, just show that we are capable of it.

bulldawg28
12-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Fred is faster than people give him credit for.

Also, Kelvin Benjamin was a first round pick - there is zero chance Bear falls past the third round. Bear has what every NFL team has - he can win one on one battles. That is what the NFL is all about.

Scouts say the same thing....He gone!!!

FanninDawg
12-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see Malone apply for a medical hardship to make up for the year he got hurt against Oklahoma state.

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2015, 01:37 PM
I'd like to see Malone apply for a medical hardship to make up for the year he got hurt against Oklahoma state.

You can only apply for medical hardship if you have two seasons of medical injuries - anyone know if he had a previous injury? My guess is that this isn't likely.

Political Hack
12-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Nick James, Fred Ross, and Chris Jones will get the best NFL grades of the JRs in my opinion. bear may get a high one too when testing but his film is going to hurt him. He's got to expand his hands more to play in the NFL. If he can't high point a ball n the end zone his 6'5" is really about as good as a 6'0" flat. He's smooth on his routes, but he's got to show scouts he can catch with his hands. You can't let the ball get into your chest in the NFL the way he does. It's just not going to work. I think if he comes back next year and corrects that, he's potentially a day 1 type guy.

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Nick James, Fred Ross, and Chris Jones will get the best NFL grades of the JRs in my opinion. bear may get a high one too when testing but his film is going to hurt him. He's got to expand his hands more to play in the NFL. If he can't high point a ball n the end zone his 6'5" is really about as good as a 6'0" flat. He's smooth on his routes, but he's got to show scouts he can catch with his hands. You can't let the ball get into your chest in the NFL the way he does. It's just not going to work. I think if he comes back next year and corrects that, he's potentially a day 1 type guy.

I don't think we used Bear enough in the red zone. We should have done what we did against Mizzou more - just throw it up to him and he normally makes the play.

Im wondering if Nick James is in a Josh Robinson situation. He knows where he will probably get drafted this year or next. I really hope he comes back for selfish reasons, but I understand leaving.

JohnnyQuid
12-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Comparing Ross to Odell? Come on dudes.

To me Ross isn't really the prototype guy you'd expect to jump to the NFL early. Remember half his catches this year have been screen passes, not exactly what the NFL wants. Great college player and I'd go out on a limb and say he will no doubt be back in M&W next season.

He's very good off the screen and idk the numbers I'd guess it's less than 1/4 from screen. total guess by watching. he's become a legit threat. hell never be a 1 receiver in nfl but I feel like with his skill set could make the leage.

see some really bad ones up there now. but like u said he benefits from bear not doubt in my mind. bears so big draws attention and Fred cleans up. I like it