PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of Mississippi State coaches who don't give a shit

Mutt the Hoople
11-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Seems like Dan Mullen, Manny Diaz, et. al. are only the latest in a long line of MSU coaches who don't give a shit and don't even try. Ron Polk, Jackie Sherrill his last three years, Croom, etc.

His first 2-3 years, Mullen was all about "relentless effort", and most of all, whipping TSUN like the little bitches they are. However, nowadays he just does his best Rockey-Felker-On-The-Sidelines-Looking-Befuddled impression we all remembered from the late '80s.

Yeah, he is a good coach. However, he's getting paid $4 million a year to coach and recuit, and if he doesn't like the work, or Starkville, or whatever, maybe he should leave and not act like a Government worker 1 month from retirement.

Swagger Vance
11-30-2015, 08:25 PM
He is over paid....no doubt about it. If he were making half of what he does now, I'd feel like we were gettin pretty good results. But 4mil to smile and chuckle on the sidelines as you drop a deuce all over the field is emberassing.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Preach it Mutt.

smootness
11-30-2015, 10:07 PM
If you ultimately come to the conclusion that a ton of State coaches just don't care and don't try, perhaps there is another explanation. I seem to sense one common denominator here....

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 10:21 PM
That is at least one thing I appreciate about Cohen. He seems to at least act like he wants to freakin' win. Polk used to piss me off to no end with the "that's baseball" attitude. No wonder we never won anything nationally when he had every talent advantage in the world. Here is a thought, if you are an MSU head coach of a major sport and you do NOT care about whether you win or lose, given the large salary you are being paid, could you at least put on a good show in pubic and pretend you do????

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 10:26 PM
If you ultimately come to the conclusion that a ton of State coaches just don't care and don't try, perhaps there is another explanation. I seem to sense one common denominator here....

Fans that defend said coach to death and an administration that keep them around too long?

Maybe more than one common denominator.

Dawgface
11-30-2015, 11:06 PM
He is over paid....no doubt about it. If he were making half of what he does now, I'd feel like we were gettin pretty good results. But 4mil to smile and chuckle on the sidelines as you drop a deuce all over the field is emberassing.

Definitely over paid.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:08 PM
Fans that defend said coach to death and an administration that keep them around too long?

Maybe more than one common denominator.

One of us thinks we would be insane to fire a coach who has won 18 games the past two years, took us to #1 last year, and just developed easily the best player in our history.

The other thinks that coach should be fired because he doesn't care and doesn't want to be here.

Yes, I'm the insane one.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 11:15 PM
One of us thinks we would be insane to fire a coach who has won 18 games the past two years, took us to #1 last year, and just developed easily the best player in our history.

The other thinks that coach should be fired because he doesn't care and doesn't want to be here.

Yes, I'm the insane one.

No one is saying he should be fired. WE are saying that if Dan doesn't want to be here he should leave.

If Dan stays and is unhappy, we ALL lose. It's best for Dan to leave on his own accord because if he doesn't and he is basically here collecting a paycheck we are going to decline- and then we will end up firing him when it's all said and done. And he won't be able to get a job better than being Meyer's OC at that point.

Bottom line is we are in a very bad position right now and I just hope this resolves itself- it actually would be a lot more simple if we could just fire him outright.

GreenheadDawg
11-30-2015, 11:16 PM
The roots of mediocrity are so deep in some of you it's amazing.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 11:19 PM
The roots of mediocrity are so deep in some of you it's amazing.

The amazing thing to me is that they never learn. No matter how many times we keep a coach too long. And then they wonder why we are always constantly rebuilding.

tcdog70
11-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Holy Shit is we kick the FG against LSU we have a chance to win ten games in a season where most thought we would be in last place in the SEC west. Go back and see how many people thought we would win 8 games, not many.

pilldawg
11-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Since it is also said that our head coach wants out of Starkville, would it not be in his best interest to care and win the damn game. I guarandamntee that he cares if we win or lose. I'm sorry he didn't express the emotion you wanted to see on the sidelines but other than that your're a 17ing dumbass. We sucked the other night, but it didn't have anything to do with passion for the game. Probably the opposite as I think our team was so focused on sending Dak out a winner they didn't play loose. Mullen's gameplan sucked and he didn't push the right buttons, but I am pretty sure he cared.

yjnkdawg
11-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Yes, I'm the insane one.

I agree with smootness. You know some time we are our own worst enemies. There has been only speculation and rumors that Mullen does not want to be here, unless somebody believes Feldman, who started all this? There has been no substantiail evidence that I am aware of to prove any of this true. Feldman does not like us and he likes Ole Miss and has had no correspondence with Mullen. The longer this stuff keeps going the longer Ole Miss will be happy.

Dawg61
11-30-2015, 11:26 PM

Hey look Todd you're talking about yourself with Cohen. It's funny how Cohen can do no wrong for you and Dan can do no right.

Dawg61
11-30-2015, 11:29 PM
The amazing thing to me is that they never learn. No matter how many times we keep a coach too long. And then they wonder why we are always constantly rebuilding.

Does Cohen count too?

Beaver
11-30-2015, 11:34 PM
I believe 100% Mullen has questioned whether he wants to stay at MSU for the long term. He might be a bit burned out (especially after losing 2 games right off the bat). Maybe he feels he's done all he can do here and is looking elsewhere. Maybe he's just tired after dealing with another death of a player combined with losing one of his best friends/players (Dak). I'm fine with our coach having conflicting thoughts.. That's human nature.

Stricklin is not an idiot. I'm sure he's already talked to Mullen. If he thought Mullen didn't care or just wanted to get out right away, then wouldn't he just fire him or agree to 'mutually part ways'?

I think Mullen cares. He's built this program his way. I think he loves his players and staff, and I think he likes Starkville. He was elated after beating Arkansas. However, I do think he's is weighing his options, and he should be allowed to do that. If he leaves, so be it. If he stays, he'll be 100% committed to doing his job. Just because he laughs after a failed onside kick doesn't mean he couldn't care less about the outcome. Some of yall would really hate David Shaw...

yjnkdawg
11-30-2015, 11:35 PM

This smiling after the onside kick debacle is getting old. Sometimes when things go bad and and they get worse and you have no control to change it, it is better to just go ahead and smile and relieve some of the stress and tension. Smiling does not necessarily mean that he was happy at what happened. I have done that in my job. That's pretty common if you have a stressful job.

DancingRabbit
11-30-2015, 11:46 PM
No one is saying he should be fired. WE are saying that if Dan doesn't want to be here he should leave.

If Dan stays and is unhappy, we ALL lose. It's best for Dan to leave on his own accord because if he doesn't and he is basically here collecting a paycheck we are going to decline- and then we will end up firing him when it's all said and done. And he won't be able to get a job better than being Meyer's OC at that point.

Bottom line is we are in a very bad position right now and I just hope this resolves itself- it actually would be a lot more simple if we could just fire him outright.

We went through this in 2013. "Dan's not gonna cut it. We're 6-6. Hire Hud!"

Then Dan went out and put up 10-2.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 11:47 PM
Does Cohen count too?

We'll see what Cohen puts out there on the field this year. He has to win himself. I think Butch leaving was a blessing for us- but we'll see.

It's different because Cohen isn't constantly looking other jobs and if anything Cohen has the opposite problem that Dan has- I think he cares too much sometimes and that results in Cohen over coaching some because he wants to win here so badly. I can stand that more than a guy shopping himself around all the time. Plus, if anything Cohen coaches overaggressively at times where is Dan is over conservative.

FootLongDawg
11-30-2015, 11:49 PM
Seems like Dan Mullen, Manny Diaz, et. al. are only the latest in a long line of MSU coaches who don't give a shit and don't even try.

His first 2-3 years, Mullen was all about "relentless effort", and most of all, whipping TSUN like the little bitches they are. However, nowadays he just does his best Rockey-Felker-On-The-Sidelines-Looking-Befuddled impression we all remembered from the late '80s.

Yeah, he is a good coach. However, he's getting paid $4 million a year to coach and recuit, and if he doesn't like the work, or Starkville, or whatever, maybe he should leave and not act like a Government worker 1 month from retirement.

could it be that Mullen is over his head? He has tried to make contact to leave.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 11:51 PM

Then DAK went out and put up 10-2.

fify

Also, non-competitive in our three losses... Pretty big games

Blackout
11-30-2015, 11:53 PM
It's different because Cohen isn't constantly looking other jobs

Bingo and let's add that he is a recruiting animal... By far his best contribution to the baseball program

If Cohen can find an elite hitting guy he will be the PERFECT model for a head coach (and some in-game meddling improvements)

That's what Dan doesn't get as far as that goes among many other things.. Your job is to bring the talent in and handle the game/program management. Quit micromanaging everything holy shit.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Then Dan went out and put up 10-2.

No we haven't been through this at all. We were 4-6 before Arkansas in 2013 with some obvious cracks in the foundation. Then we won our last two in OT and the Liberty Bowl with Dan showing a whole hell of a lot more emotion and creativity- likely fueled by the fact that Tyler and Dak were hurt more than anything- than he did this year. THAT is why people stopped calling for Hud.

We went 10-2 because Dan had to play Dak and Josh like most people in 2013 wanted because Tyler and Perk graduated- personnel decisions that would have led to an even better 2013 season. And then people like you latched on to Dan like he was some genius. He's not- graduations forces his hand to play the players that most of us wanted all along in 2013 and it worked out. And then you take credit for it. Hilarious.

Right now is not even remotely the same and the only thing even comparable is 2012.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 11:57 PM
could it be that Mullen is over his head? He has tried to make contact to leave.

I think that's a good question. If he is it's because he's too stubborn to change and he's too arrogant to realize that he's not as good as he is in his own mind.

Beaver
11-30-2015, 11:57 PM
fify

Can't credit only players for wins and only coaches for losses. Goes both ways.

DancingRabbit
11-30-2015, 11:59 PM
fify

You didn't fix anything. The HC gets the blame and the credit. Adidas didn't recruit and develop Dak.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 11:59 PM
and the only thing even comparable is 2012.

As I got banned for saying so emphatically very early on. Dan ain't it.. that is obvious. We can delay this thing all you people want but that cat is out of the bag... He showed his cards and his bluff was called. Now we're stuck and will be put years back recruiting-wise because of it.

yjnkdawg
12-01-2015, 12:04 AM
He showed his cards and his bluff was called. Now we're stuck and will be put years back recruiting-wise because of it.

And you know this for a fact or purely speculation?

Blackout
12-01-2015, 12:08 AM
And you know this for a fact or purely speculation?

I don't think Coach34 has any reason to lie about 23 and 88 plus loads of common sense

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 12:09 AM
As I got banned for saying so emphatically very early on. Dan ain't it.. that is obvious. We can delay this thing all you people want but that cat is out of the bag... He showed his cards and his bluff was called. Now we're stuck and will be put years back recruiting-wise because of it.

I hope we aren't stuck- fortunately it's still too soon to know, but I suspect we will know in about two weeks once the coaching carousel smoke settles. So, we should know soon.

We're only stuck if Dan doesn't leave on his own accord. We can't fire him based on his entire body of work- despite the fact that those of us with functioning brains realize that Dan is not likely to start caring again anytime soon and that him staying is only going to lead to a short term decline until we actually are eventually forced to fire him. Which I highly suspect would occur at the end of next year with a likely third Egg Bowl loss in a row and no quality wins again given the schedule, what we lose and are expected to lose in terms of players on the team, and only six home games. We have SENIOR players quitting the team the last week of the season and things like that going on- and no apparent leaders coming back on the team that I feel totally confident in like Dak. We're a recipe for a toxic team.

That said, IF he does leave I think it could give us a shot in the arm that we need at this moment VERY badly. So, let's just hope and pray that things work themselves out.

Dawg61
12-01-2015, 12:16 AM
We'll see what Cohen puts out there on the field this year. He has to win himself. I think Butch leaving was a blessing for us- but we'll see.

It's different because Cohen isn't constantly looking other jobs and if anything Cohen has the opposite problem that Dan has- I think he cares too much sometimes and that results in Cohen over coaching some because he wants to win here so badly. I can stand that more than a guy shopping himself around all the time. Plus, if anything Cohen coaches overaggressively at times where is Dan is over conservative.

Bunting in the 1st inning is the exact opposite of coaching "over aggressively". Cohen coaches like a bleeding twat.

smootness
12-01-2015, 12:16 AM
I don't think Coach34 has any reason to lie about 23 and 88 plus loads of common sense

So this is all we need now to assume our coach wants to leave and that our program is doomed because the best coach in our history is coming back?

Beaver
12-01-2015, 12:34 AM
We can't fire him based on his entire body of work- despite the fact that those of us with functioning brains realize that Dan is not likely to start caring again anytime soon

When Dak comes out post-season and says Dan gave up and didn't care, I'll agree.

ScottH
12-01-2015, 01:00 AM
Love or hate Cohen, I don't care. What I do know is no matter how much losing any one baseball game bothers me, I can find solace in knowing it bothers Cohen more.

On a couple of occasions I have felt losing didn't bother Mullen much. He needs to do what he can to embrace the fan base. Celebrate when we celebrate. Hurt when we hurt. Hell f'n pretend to if you must.

The loses I can deal with. Two things I can't:
1. My perception that losing for some reason isn't the worst thing in the world to him. Nothing to laugh about Saturday. Nothing. Post game show was an "I don't give a shit" moment. Four people I talked to today that usually say zero said something about it today.
2. My feeling that 4 million doesn't have him all in. The annual job crap has wears me out. If it's real, move on. If it's not, squelch it.

I want to know where has the "get on the mic at the stadium and screw with the Bears" Dan gone? Has the 4MM taken his edge off?