PDA

View Full Version : I do not want Dan Mullen to leave however?

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Are we going to have to go through this every year? I know coaching in the SEC is quite different than working for a major oil company like I do... but if I went into my boss's office and asked for a raise or I was leaving, it might work one year. The second year in a row that I came in and demanded that I get a raise or I was leaving the boss would probably not go for it, unless I had done something exceptional for the company. So do we have to pony up a raise every year just to keep Dan from leaving even when we didn't have a great year? And he may not want to work here. Just asking because you know this isn't the last time we hear this.

Edited to add: This could also be applied to threatening to leave or having your agent look at every job in the country and putting your name out.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 06:17 PM
It's almost like whoring out the University to get a better raise or a better job.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Are we going to have to go through this every year? I know coaching in the SEC is quite different than working for a major oil company like I do... but if I went into my boss's office and asked for a raise or I was leaving, it might work one year. The second year in a row that I came in and demanded that I get a raise or I was leaving the boss would probably not go for it, unless I had done something exceptional for the company. So do we have to pony up a raise every year just to keep Dan from leaving even when we didn't have a great year? And he may not want to work here. Just asking because you know this isn't the last time we hear this.

Edited to add: This could also be applied to threatening to leave or having your agent look at every job in the country and putting your name out.

Short answer: As long as we have a winning coach, whoever it is, YES.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
This was not handled well by anybody. What the media knows and is currently unwilling to say (not sure if it's fear of Stricklin/Keenum or Dan himself) is that Dan is shopping casually for a new gig through his agent and even if he's not serious about leaving, he wants to establish his value on the market. Your name is simply not associated with this many jobs unless that's the case as C34 has indicated.

As OP stated, when you're in business or working for a large company you know that these tactics are short sighted. You might get some leverage once in a while and occasionally get your way, but in general you wear out your welcome and lose trust. The scale of the numbers involved may be different here, but the general principle is really not. Dan's agent needs to tone it down and handle this much, much differently if he's going to stay a few more years. We'll see where it goes, but either way someone needs to put Dan's agent in check.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 06:22 PM

It's simply not true of every coach and every situation. Similar programs in other areas/conferences don't have to deal with this every year. It's not the way things have to be...

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 06:24 PM

It getting ludicrous at this point, & I'm beginning to wonder if Mullen is really behind this.

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 5h5 hours ago
Travis Haney Retweeted Woody Whitehurst
Fedora, Mullen & Muschamp are names I've heard most in past 24 hours. Travis Haney added,
Woody Whitehurst @woodywhitehurst
@TravHaneyESPN what the heck is going to happen at South Carolina?

Mullen to South Carolina? Really? Why would he go there? Just ridiculous.

Everyone should listen to Rosebowl's thoughts on the situation today:
http://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/9056/the-boneyard-putting-a-rest-to-the-dan-mullen-rumor-mill/

If any of these rumors are not truthful, I hope Mullen will address it to some degree in the coming weeks. I just think it's ridiculous that MSU has to go through this every year, when we've given Mullen everything he has ever asked for. At some point, loyalty needs to be reciprocated.

If Mullen is behind all these for lateral, at best, job moves, then it almost feels selfish. He can get away with this stuff as long as he is winning 7-9 games, but the moment he has a 6 or 5 win season, he'll have no equity built up. Just seems like there should be a balance & respect between the athletic department & head coach.

That being said, if Mullen or his agent aren't the source of these rumors, then I apologize, but at that point, for the good of the program, he needs to fight back against the people that have started this. Mullen staying and not addressing these issues will be an admission of guilt to me.

EAVdog
11-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I don't think Dan is shopping himself around to all these places. Nor is his agent. People get way too caught up in the media selling clicks. Jimmy Sexton is his agent as well as basically every other coaches. So he'd be pretty busy to be shopping Mullen to what 6-8 different places now? Not to mention his other clients.

I will say if he leaves it'll be to Georgia. And it'll have been in the work for weeks now. I've said that consistently for a couple of weeks now based on what I've heard from someone in the business who worked on Richt's staff. However nothing he said was concrete but he laid out how the process works. All these rumors are basically just that rumors. Just my two cents.

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Yes but how much winning of a coach?

EAVdog
11-30-2015, 06:27 PM
It getting ludicrous at this point, & I'm beginning to wonder if Mullen is really behind this.

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 5h5 hours ago
Travis Haney Retweeted Woody Whitehurst
Fedora, Mullen & Muschamp are names I've heard most in past 24 hours. Travis Haney added,
Woody Whitehurst @woodywhitehurst
@TravHaneyESPN what the heck is going to happen at South Carolina?

Mullen to South Carolina? Really? Why would he go there? Just ridiculous.

Everyone should listen to Rosebowl's thoughts on the situation today:
http://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/9056/the-boneyard-putting-a-rest-to-the-dan-mullen-rumor-mill/

If any of these rumors are not truthful, I hope Mullen will address it to some degree in the coming weeks.

Exactly what I mean. No way he is interested in South Carolina.

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 06:29 PM

South Carolina has some mighty nice golf courses.

ScottH
11-30-2015, 06:29 PM
. Jimmy Sexton is his agent as well as basically every other coaches.

Rick Diamond unless he has changed agents.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 06:30 PM

Agree, it's like whoever is starting these rumors has jumped the shark on their rumors. It was believable until Mullen was rumored to coach Pisgah high school and all others in between.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 06:30 PM
It's simply not true of every coach and every situation. Similar programs in other areas/conferences don't have to deal with this every year. It's not the way things have to be...

So they don't give raises to winning football coaches? Who knew.

I seen it dawg
11-30-2015, 06:31 PM
We've given Mullen too much and now our athletic department is scared of him. We run a damn Mississippi Academy football program. Total ****ing joke.

EAVdog
11-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Agree, it's like whoever is starting these rumors has jumped the shark on their rumors. It was believable until Mullen was rumored to coach Pisgah high school and all others in between.

yeah how many places has his name been linked with?

Colorado
Pittsburgh
Miami
Georgia
Florida (2)
South Carolina
Penn State
Maryland
Virginia Tech
Virginia

I'm sure there are more. I think the media is just trying to make any link because with Dak leaving it would be an opportune time to leave in their minds.

Bothrops
11-30-2015, 06:34 PM
This ordeal was never about money. People need to get real. Dan makes approximately 334K a month!

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 06:42 PM
We've given Mullen too much and now our athletic department is scared of him. We run a damn Mississippi Academy football program. Total ****ing joke.

So my question is when is enough enough and we say no take the job.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 06:44 PM

I don't believe this. IMO, he's paid about what he should be according to the market.

What else have we given him that was above and beyond the foundation that our program needs to compete in the SEC West?

Statecoachingblows**
11-30-2015, 06:49 PM
The thing that gets me, like randy said, is this seems to be a yearly thing. Last year I get it. This year? Just seems odd. Rumors about him looking around or checking other jobs isn't new, but having it said that he WANTS out is something completely different. So either someone completely pulled this out of their ass and made it up or in some form or fashion Dan has made that statement or implied it to someone at some point. But back to the OP, I think this yearly dance is getting tiresome, and maybe just maybe 1 year he could just come out and say hey I'm not going to swinging dick U and be done with it. I know he loves the job he's got thread the other day, but that's coach speak. Say something that would immediately cut the BS down. Just my opinion.

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 06:54 PM
The thing that gets me, like randy said, is this seems to be a yearly thing. Last year I get it. This year? Just seems odd. Rumors about him looking around or checking other jobs isn't new, but having it said that he WANTS out is something completely different. So either someone completely pulled this out of their ass and made it up or in some form or fashion Dan has made that statement or implied it to someone at some point. But back to the OP, I think this yearly dance is getting tiresome, and maybe just maybe 1 year he could just come out and say hey I'm not going to swinging dick U and be done with it. I know he loves the job he's got thread the other day, but that's coach speak. Say something that would immediately cut the BS down. Just my opinion.

Totally agree with this. Not only would it draw the Fanbase to him occasionally, but it would also help his own Recruiting.

smootness
11-30-2015, 07:03 PM

It stops working when you're already being paid your market value. At that point your employer refuses to give you another raise and then possibly kicks you to the curb.

But as long as you keep getting raises, then you weren't being paid market value before.

Churchill
11-30-2015, 07:18 PM

The problem is not the raises to me as much as how this has affected recruiting and how it will going forward. I still say Keenum needs to call Dan and his agent in and says this shit ends NOW.....he`s either here or he`s not. You`re completely naive if you don`t think Dan could stop 75% of this crap.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 07:44 PM
The problem is not the raises to me as much as how this has affected recruiting and how it will going forward. I still say Keenum needs to call Dan and his agent in and says this shit ends NOW.....he`s either here or he`s not. You`re completely naive if you don`t think Dan could stop 75% of this crap.

This!

I seen it dawg
11-30-2015, 08:38 PM
I don't believe this. IMO, he's paid about what he should be according to the market.

What else have we given him that was above and beyond the foundation that our program needs to compete in the SEC West?

It's not the money. It's all the latitude and not calling him on shit like this. Why in the **** hasn't a thing been done about all this job speculation? Why wasn't there a meeting Saturday night with a ****ing ass ripping for the shit show we produced? Why wasn't there a meeting to clear once and for all the job shit - are you here or not? If not then bye, if here then get your ****ing head out of your ass and these are the changes that are about to happen. It's because we are ****ing scared of him and that he may leave. So what then leave. He's got us by the balls.

Our AD is an Mississippi academy cheerleader who happened to fall in the right *****. Over his ****ing head and out of his depth. The AD should have the stones so the football coach knows where the line is and that there is one. Mullen ain't Saban so it shouldn't be a problem.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 08:59 PM
It's not the money. It's all the latitude and not calling him on shit like this. Why in the **** hasn't a thing been done about all this job speculation? Why wasn't there a meeting Saturday night with a ****ing ass ripping for the shit show we produced? Why wasn't there a meeting to clear once and for all the job shit - are you here or not? If not then bye, if here then get your ****ing head out of your ass and these are the changes that are about to happen. It's because we are ****ing scared of him and that he may leave. So what then leave. He's got us by the balls.

Our AD is an Mississippi academy cheerleader who happened to fall in the right *****. Over his ****ing head and out of his depth. The AD should have the stones so the football coach knows where the line is and that there is one. Mullen ain't Saban so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dan makes Scott piss his pants three times a year for shits and giggles! He is the boss. He's never been called out. Now it's too late. Scott has to change the locks or put on an apron and fix Dan's dinner.