PDA

View Full Version : One Man Is Killing Recruiting

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
There are many posts stating or insinuating that Bracky is destroying our ability to recruit at a high level. Please explain to me how this is so. As compliance director, I can see him, with the support of the administration, harping heavily on the letter of the law. That's a large part of his job. But how does he affect the actual "persuading" of recruits? I can see him not helping find loopholes. But I would think that you wouldn't want the guy with the University name tag bearing the word "compliance" doing anything other than shielding the University. I just don't see where he has the power to influence recruiting. I'm seriously trying to understand

gtowndawg
11-30-2015, 12:52 PM
I think you just answered your own question: "I can see him not helping find loopholes."

Every other SEC school has an attorney in that position for a reason. The reason you just stated above.

Big4Dawg
11-30-2015, 12:53 PM
This. I don't understand it either. I know he isn't going to do us in favors (see Redmond) but he can't do anything to actually stop our "network" from going out there and getting players.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 12:57 PM
I just think to run a successful network, you need a dumb puppet sheriff (Bracky) and the real kingpin (a network attorney) pulling the strings. Shields the university and coach but gets the job done.

DancingRabbit
11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
I don't think Bracky has hurt recruiting much if any. It appears that we accepted more penalties on the Redmond deal than we had to, but how much of that falls on Bracky is not clear. I'm sure we had attorneys involved in that deal too.

Bracky works for Keenum and I think Keenum is a smart guy, so Bracky would be moved out if he wasn't doing a decent job.

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 01:01 PM
This entire premise is stupid. You think the compliance director at school x says it's ok to pass red bags? No. Just wrong . Period.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 01:05 PM
I don't like our compliance situation, but I'm having a hard time painting Bracky as a rouge enforcer of the rules. He has a boss that reviews him yearly just like any other employee. If the administration wasn't happy with his actions, then I have a hard time believing they would keep him in that position.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 01:09 PM
I appreciate the replies. So I'm taking Bracky off of my "you messed up our football team" list.

starkvegasdawg
11-30-2015, 01:17 PM
My mian issue with Bracky is that when we get in trouble he seemingly does every bit of investigative work forthe NCAA and hands them all the findings wrapped up in a big red bow and then says go in dry if you like. A school like Auburn or TSUN tells the NCAA to go 17 themselves with a soldering iron and don't comeback until you can prove something and oh by the way...we're not providing you with so much as a used napkin from the Arby's where the player in question had supper last night. You want it then you go dig through the garbage yourself to get it.

War Machine Dawg
11-30-2015, 01:26 PM
My mian issue with Bracky is that when we get in trouble he seemingly does every bit of investigative work forthe NCAA and hands them all the findings wrapped up in a big red bow and then says go in dry if you like. A school like Auburn or TSUN tells the NCAA to go 17 themselves with a soldering iron and don't comeback until you can prove something and oh by the way...we're not providing you with so much as a used napkin from the Arby's where the player in question had supper last night. You want it then you go dig through the garbage yourself to get it.

This. It is proven fact at this point the NCAA is essentially toothless unless you do the investigating for them. THAT is where Bracky Fife fvcks us. Then on top of that, he stands by and proposes penalties much harsher than what we should've gotten. Name another P5 school that had their best defensive player lose nearly half his eligibility due to a used car deal. I'll wait.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 01:33 PM
This entire premise is stupid. You think the compliance director at school x says it's ok to pass red bags? No. Just wrong . Period.

If you know that your red bag will get you in trouble you won't do it... It's deterrence. Similar to cops and robbers.... We can still rob the store like Ole Miss except our town has cops and Oxford has become Port au Prince

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 01:33 PM
It just seems to me that blaming Bracky for poor recruiting is akin to giving the part time night watchman credit for the low crime in Sturgis, MS. While he may prepare the report to submit to the ncaa, surely the AD and the legal team determine its content. I just don't see Dan sitting back accepting a compliance officer screwing his program.

NCDawg
11-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Problem with our recruiting is Southern kids don't relate well to the Yankees recruiting them. just my opinion.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 02:05 PM
It just seems to me that blaming Bracky for poor recruiting is akin to giving the part time night watchman credit for the low crime in Sturgis, MS. While he may prepare the report to submit to the ncaa, surely the AD and the legal team determine its content. I just don't see Dan sitting back accepting a compliance officer screwing his program.

What do you think a coach can do about the compliance officer? Whether he is screwing us or not. He does not answer to the coach or AD. Any changes have to come from the administration.

lastmajordog
11-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Just looking from a distance it seems it would be a great start to have a recruiting coordinator, someone not a coach but sole responsibility is to head all recruiting aspects. Being held accountable ....and yes setting up the "NETWORK". I don't know if other schools do but it appears MSU needs onel. I'm just thinking outloud because it sure looked like more (and better) line play was the main difference in the game. JMO

BrunswickDawg
11-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Problem with our recruiting is Southern kids don't relate well to the Yankees recruiting them. just my opinion.

I'm sure Nick Saban agrees with that.

NCDawg
11-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Think Saban is from West VA. Not quite Southern and not quite Yankee.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 02:30 PM
What do you think a coach can do about the compliance officer? Whether he is screwing us or not. He does not answer to the coach or AD. Any changes have to come from the administration.

And you really think that Dan and the cigar boys couldn't effect change if Bracky was really killing our program? I don't give a crap if he answered to IHL. Boy, we have the most powerful compliance officer in all of college sports. What can Dan and the AD do? Are you 17ing crazy?

Jarius
11-30-2015, 02:35 PM
We have no problem in basketball recruiting. Have a top 10 class and Bracky is the compliance guy for that too. We have a good recruiter in football that lights it up every year in Tony Hughes. Our problem is that a lot of Our football coaches are not very good at the recruiting portion of their jobs. It's time to place the blame where it belongs.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 02:38 PM
And you really think that Dan and the cigar boys couldn't effect change if Bracky was really killing our program? I don't give a crap if he answered to IHL.

Well let's see, Bracky started in 2002 while Jackie was still here. He is on his 3rd head football coach, 3rd AD, and how many Presidents now? Yet he is still here. Maybe that is the question you need to ask. He survives for a reason and no President seems willing to let him go. So yes, after his 13 years of being here I don't thing the atheletic department and the cigar boys have the pull or the want to to get rid of him.

Eta. I never said he was our recruiting problem or our only problem. But it's pretty naive for you to think the coach or boosters have that much power to get him out when they haven't done it for over a decade.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 02:39 PM
And you really think that Dan and the cigar boys couldn't effect change if Bracky was really killing our program?

The so called sorority girls who love to gossip and never get any real shit done?

Jarius
11-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Well let's see, Bracky started in 2002 while Jackie was still here. He is on his 3rd head football coach, 3rd AD, and how many Presidents now? Yet he is still here. Maybe that is the question you need to ask. He survives for a reason and no President seems willing to let him go. So yes, after his 13 years of being here I don't thing the atheletic department and the cigar boys have the pull or the want to to get rid of him.

Or maybe they just know that he isn't the real problem with our recruiting.

yjnkdawg
11-30-2015, 02:47 PM
This. I don't understand it either. I know he isn't going to do us in favors (see Redmond) but he can't do anything to actually stop our "network" from going out there and getting players.

If the Administration is not in favor of playing the recruiting game, I don't see how a Network would be able to do what you say. Everybody had to be on the same page, including the coach, compliance office, administration, etc.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Or maybe they just know that he isn't the real problem with our recruiting.

Never implied either way. He is being kind of naive with the thought process that the coach and/or boosters have the power he thinks they do. At least not here at this time. He is an administrative hire and answers to the President only. Have some of his decisions with things have a negative impact on how we recruit and how lose we are outside of the coaches? I won't say, but he has been here through a lot of changes.

BossDawg
11-30-2015, 02:50 PM

I think the issue most people have with Bracky is, well, (and this is a crude and sarcastic example) if we were handing out maroon bags and Bracky knew, he'd be calling up the NCAA and reporting it, trying to look honest and negotiate penalties. Everyone else has some sleazeball lawyer in place that wouldn't say a word and would tell the NCAA to f*&k off if they started snooping around.

sleepy dawg
11-30-2015, 06:51 PM

I don't think Bracky is THE reason our recruiting isn't great, but he is a clear hurdle that other universities don't seem to have to deal with in the same way. Other compliance officers seem to work with/for their university. Bracky works against our university.

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Kids go to Bama to go to the NFL and win championships, not because they love Saban.

IMissJack
11-30-2015, 07:27 PM
I don't think Bracky has as much effect as some people think. However, there is a reason that all colleges have attorneys in this type of position. There are a lot of complicated rules first of all, and secondly you are working with/or against lawyers for the NCAA. I'm amazed that we don't have an attorney in that position. How is he qualified for the position?

tcdog70
11-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Kids go to Bama to go to the NFL and win championships, not because they love Saban.

Bama opens the doors and twenty 4-5 star recruits run in. Not shit to do with Saban. They have always recruited top 5.