PDA

View Full Version : Practice Day 2 and our passing game sucks. EVERYBODY PANIC!

FlabLoser
08-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Receivers dropping balls, QBs serving up pick 6's.

Its day 2 rust, I'm sure. But really, I'd rather sit out fandom during preseason practice.

Pollodawg
08-02-2013, 06:56 PM
How many pick sixes have they thrown?

HancockCountyDog
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM

Its day 2 rust, I'm sure. But really, I'd rather sit out fandom during preseason practice.

Just means our secondary is as good as everyone has been saying.

I seen it dawg
08-02-2013, 07:53 PM
They can play. We gonna be DB U

Coach 57
08-02-2013, 08:23 PM
DBs are very good!

Jack Lambert
08-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Defense is always ahead of the offense at this time of the pre season.

engie
08-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Noessss -- sky is falling**

What's REALLY going to be "fun" is when we deal with a meltdown(me especially because I've been so outspoken in support) about our secondary when OK State throws for > 300 yards on us. Everyone conveniently will not acknowledge that they put up 300+ passing yards in 4 of their 5 losses last year(and 289 in the 5th)...while putting up over 400 passing yards in two of their losses...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130803-pn18-58kb.jpg

ETA: Need to be looking REALLY hard at the Kansas game(plan). Charlie Weis had a masterful plan of shutting them down in that game...

MarketingBully01
08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
They certainly won't rush for much so they better be able to pass it (OSU that is).

Dawg61
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Eh yes they have a great passing game. Not denying that but it is the Big12. Didn't Geno Smith throw like 8 touchdowns in one game in that league last year? 400 passing yard games in that league are like 300 yard games in the SEC. Each of their games gets an extra 100yds of padding.

elitedawgs
08-02-2013, 09:28 PM
We have some very, very good DB's. Very athletic, nose for the ball. They just need some experience. Cox and Jiles/Love/Redmond will all be strong. Love played last year with Banks and Slay until he broke his hand. Redmond would have played if not for the issues. These guys are ballers and we might have another Thorpe candidate in there in he next few years.

MSUDawg4Life
08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Some of you all are clueless about this team we're facing.

Passing for 300 yards is normal for them. They averaged 331 yards per game passing last year. I'm not sure why anyone should be shocked if they put up 300 yards passing. Be shocked if we hold them to less than that.

Those of you who think they won't be able to rush - wrong again. They actually run the ball more than they pass and they averaged 215 yards per game on the ground. TWO HUNDRED FIFTEEN yards per game! If we averaged that, we'd be undefeated.

Their defense is also changing from a bend-don't break style to a more aggressive style of defense. Breaking in a new coordinator just like us. On defense, it may come down to who makes the fewest mistakes because a lot of stuff will be new to both teams.

Dawg61
08-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Again they play in the Big12 where defense is optional. OSU is a GREAT offensive team. Nobody will dispute that. Showing off their stats proves very little in that joke of a league though.

bocfarm
08-02-2013, 10:10 PM
There's a reason we're a 14 point dog

Coach34
08-02-2013, 10:23 PM

because of last year's perception to get people to bet on it

Ok State was a 10 point favorite over Arizona last year- except they got skulldrug 59-38

The Vegas line and the actual point differential in our games was off by 7 or more in 10 of 13 games...not a stellar year for Vegas on us

engie
08-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Yeah -- because Vegas is stupid when it comes to MSU, particularly early in the season...

I'd be willing to bet that the line closes in single digits...

Homedawg
08-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Our starter didn't throw a pick today did he? Or did I miss that?

Homedawg
08-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah -- because Vegas is stupid when it comes to MSU, particularly early in the season...
I'd be willing to bet that the line closes in single digits...

I agree 14 is a lot. Maybe too many. But it will never touch single digits.

bulldawg28
08-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Keep up the good work Mr.Townsend.

MSUDawg4Life
08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Again they play in the Big12 where defense is optional. OSU is a GREAT offensive team. Nobody will dispute that. Showing off their stats proves very little in that joke of a league though.

We gave up 223 yards rushing and 349 yards passing to Troy. Troy.

To suggest that we will "meltdown" because OK State throws for 300 yards on us or that they "won't rush for much" shows a substantial amount of ignorance. Any knowledgeable fan should know better. If Troy could do it, then certainly Oklahoma State can.

What we need to do is find a way to put them in the loss column despite passing and running for a lot of yards. Like we did to Troy. And like five teams did to OK State.

But, nobody should be shocked if they pass or run for a lot of yards. That's fairly routine for them.

messageboardsuperhero
08-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Right, they'll almost definitely move the ball and score some points whether we win or not, and when that happens, don't buy into people's (Rebel's) bullshit that our defense is "weak." Don't be shocked when they pass some on our secondary. It's going to happen. Not necessarily because we have bad DBs, but because their system allows for them to put up big numbers.

Forcing OSU into some turnovers and limiting them field goals when they get to the redzone will be key.

Pollodawg
08-02-2013, 10:43 PM
We gave up 223 yards rushing and 349 yards passing to Troy. Troy.

To suggest that we will "meltdown" because OK State throws for 300 yards on us or that they "won't rush for much" shows a substantial amount of ignorance. Any knowledgeable fan should know better. If Troy could do it, then certainly Oklahoma State can.

What we need to do is find a way to put them in the loss column despite passing and running for a lot of yards. Like we did to Troy. And like five teams did to OK State.

But, nobody should be shocked if they pass or run for a lot of yards. That's fairly routine for them.

With a defensive scheme that couldn't keep a JV team from racking up yards on us. They will get yards, and they will get points, but so will we.

engie
08-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I agree 14 is a lot. Maybe too many. But it will never touch single digits.

It already has on several books that I've run across(not a gambler -- don't remember where they were -- but they shouldn't be that hard to find)...

engie
08-02-2013, 10:50 PM
To suggest that we will "meltdown" because OK State throws for 300 yards on us or that they "won't rush for much" shows a substantial amount of ignorance. Any knowledgeable fan should know better.

Any knowledgeable fan should have known we had a very, very good baseball team this past year... but it sure didn't stop them from crucifying me(and others) during the series' losing streak(in which we still NEVER fell out of national rankings) -- and repeatedly calling us mediocre and "worried if we would even make the postseason".

At some point, you just have to just admit to yourself that the majority of our fanbase simply isn't very smart...

MSUDawg4Life
08-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Any knowledgeable fan should have known we had a very, very good baseball team this past year... but it sure didn't stop them from crucifying me(and others) during the series' losing streak(in which we still NEVER fell out of national rankings) -- and repeatedly calling us mediocre and "worried if we would even make the postseason".

At some point, you just have to just admit to yourself that the majority of our fanbase simply isn't very smart...

lol

Definitely agree with that.

I guess that will be the time to take them by the hand and gently move them away from the edge of the cliff.

I believe we're going to win the game though. Hopefully, how we did it won't matter as much.

MarketingBully01
08-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Once again, we have a completely different DC and scheme. Chris Wilson's defense gave up all those yards to Troy and others because his scheme punished our secondary for being aggressive and taking chances. This defense will be different. Think 2010 defense not 2009, 2011 or 2012. Lets just let this play out before we throw in the towel on our defense before the season even starts.

messageboardsuperhero
08-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Once again, we have a completely different DC and scheme. Chris Wilson's defense gave up all those yards to Troy and others because his scheme punished our secondary for being aggressive and taking chances. This defense will be different. Think 2010 defense not 2009, 2011 or 2012. Lets just let this play out before we throw in the towel on our defense before the season even starts.

I definitely agree with this, and I think Banks and Slay killing it in NFL training camps backs this theory up a good bit. If two potential NFL starters at CB can't make it work, shouldn't that prove that it was a terrible scheme? At least from a pass defense standpoint?

engie
08-02-2013, 11:28 PM
lol

Definitely agree with that.

I guess that will be the time to take them by the hand and gently move them away from the edge of the cliff.

Exactly...That's what I've(and others) have been trying to do for months now...

The fools claiming that the sky is falling and clamoring for Hudspeth right now will be the same ones hanging smart ass signs in Batesville the first time we win a "signature" game and OM gets beat by someone they shouldn't...

The emotional fringe is, to me, just as bad as the lunatic fringe. Amazing to me how an engineering school can pump out so many "emotional" thinkers...

Coach34
08-03-2013, 12:58 AM
We gave up 223 yards rushing and 349 yards passing to Troy.

Troy was 11th in the country last year in total offense. Troy...Troy

Troy also scored about 50 on Tennessee. Troy

But none of that shit matters this season. It's going to be a different D we put on the field.

Todd4State
08-03-2013, 02:33 AM

Wait- we took chances last year? Well, I guess putting Cherry out there and then everyone just standing around while people were running around free was taking a pretty big chance when you think about it from a certain point of view.

But I do agree- I don't get why people don't understand that we have a different DC and likely if not by default a more aggressive DC. What was eye opening to me in hindsight was how out of position we had people when we were talking about our LB's a few days ago.

I think our defense staying out on the field hurt our offense as well at least to a degree. It's hard to get into a rhythm when you're sitting on the sideline 10-15 minutes of real time while the defense is bending and trying not to break. You think back to when we beat Tennessee- we came very close to losing that game because we played soft with about 7 minutes left in the game and really our offense bailed us out by having a five minute drive and getting a late TD to put them away at the very end. Our offense saved us against Troy as well although there were a ton of drops by our WR's. Tyler made an unreal TD pass to Bumphis and if that doesn't happen- that's Dan's first really bad WTF loss.

The only time I would say our defense played well was against Jackson State- mainly because we had superior talent and could run whatever we wanted and shut them down, Auburn which was a conventional pro style type offense with mis-fit players, and then the second half of the MTSU game where Dan jumped Chris's ass and we started blitzing. I'll give honorable mention to the second half of Arkansas, South Alabama, and maybe even Kentucky at times- but we were also pretty sloppy in those games and those were three pretty bad teams.

MSUDawg4Life
08-03-2013, 10:59 AM

But none of that shit matters this season. It's going to be a different D we put on the field.

Oklahoma State was fourth in total offense last year.

It's good that you all have such faith in this different D and more aggressive DC. Who will this defense be new to though? New to us, the fans. New to our players. Do any of you really think it will be new to Mike Gundy? Do you really think he hasn't done his research and won't be prepared for it? The guy has admitted that he's scared. He's obviously envious of the SEC. Scared. Envious. Sounds like somebody who would try to prove a point to me.

Don't be surprised if they put up a lot of yards. That's probably going to happen. The good news for us is that they can put up a lot of yards and still lose. After blasting mini-cupcake Savannah State by 84 points in the opening game last year, they put 636 yards of offense on Arizona in the second game. Only to lose 59 - 38. Ran for 200 yards and passed for 436 yards in a losing effort.

We shouldn't panic or be surprised if they put up a lot of yards. That's what high octane offense do. We just have to win the game.

engie
08-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Oklahoma State was fourth in total offense last year.

It's good that you all have such faith in this different D and more aggressive DC. Who will this defense be new to though? New to us, the fans. New to our players. Do any of you really think it will be new to Mike Gundy? Do you really think he hasn't done his research and won't be prepared for it? The guy has admitted that he's scared. He's obviously envious of the SEC. Scared. Envious. Sounds like somebody who would try to prove a point to me.

How can he prepare for it though? By watching one year of game film from FIU? He has no idea what's coming...

Honestly, given what Collins himself has said, he'd probably be better off just watching Manny Diaz game film. Even then, we didn't have NEARLY the versatility under Diaz in 2010 that we've got now. Sure, we had great players(in the one-deep) -- but we didn't have the hybrid guys that allowed us to do so many different things under so many different looks... We've got SEVERAL position hybrids on the DL and at LB, which allows us to give SO many different looks to confuse offenses, even when the other team is in a hurry up and we can't make substitutions. Nevermind the depth we have accumulated when it slows down...

Got the personnel this year to shift successfully to go to a 3-4 at any given moment(under basically every personnel grouping up front)... Can split into a 3-3-5(kick Wells or Beniquez out to nickel)... can move quickly back into a 4-2-5...etc. We can even shift AJ Jefferson or Ryan Brown/Preston Smith to linebacker on certain looks...

One thing I've gathered for certain is that we're going to be aggressive and exotic on the blitzes -- and we're going to be CRAZY multiple on this defense(that's why Collins demands EVERYONE know what's going on at every position). Several guys have said as much in interviews -- although I SERIOUSLY doubt that we show any of this stuff in the "open" practices...

Pollodawg
08-03-2013, 11:51 AM
It'll be just as hard for them to stop us from scoring as it will for us to stop them.

blacklistedbully
08-03-2013, 12:32 PM

You beat me to it! Also add that the running attack our fellow Bulldog is so worried about included a stud RB that left for the NFL, and a couple of O-linemen lost to graduation. Not that they won't be good again, as OSU has a history of putting out consistently good O-lines, but this "woe-is-me" crap is really out of order, IMO. Would no doubt fit well over on SPS.

Political Hack
08-03-2013, 01:00 PM
the biggest thing is we can run a 4-2-5, a 4-3, 3-3-5, or a 3-4 on long yardage situations with the same personnel set as long as Autry, James, and Wells are in the game at the same time. Run Market into the game with a single substitution and we can go from a 3-4 to a dime package with only one guy running in. That's huge against teams that run fast paced offenses like Auburn and Okie State...

MSUDawg4Life
08-03-2013, 01:14 PM
You beat me to it! Also add that the running attack our fellow Bulldog is so worried about included a stud RB that left for the NFL, and a couple of O-linemen lost to graduation. Not that they won't be good again, as OSU has a history of putting out consistently good O-lines, but this "woe-is-me" crap is really out of order, IMO. Would no doubt fit well over on SPS.

We lost a NFL DL, LB and two CBs. Two CBs that are likely to be opening day starters as rookies. Not woe-is-me crap. Just the reality of the situation.

I never said we were going to lose. I fully believe we're going to win. I just think we should look at the situation realistically rather than being influenced by misguided thoughts like they won't be able to run the ball or we should be depressed if they pass for 300 yards. Oklahoma State has had a high octane offense for many years. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone if they run or pass for a lot of yards. That's all I'm saying.

MarketingBully01
08-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Sigh, you don't get it. Their OL is not going to be the same as it was last year and they lost their everything RB to graduation/NFL. That is why I am thinking they won't be able to run the ball as effectively. Couple that with our much improved and talented DLine I hope they try to run the ball because they won't be successful. Their best chance to move the football on us is through the air. That is my point.

Coach34
08-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I think their offense is going to be tough to stop and we will probably give up 27-30 points....I just think we'll score 40....as bad as our D was last year at times- they had one of the worst defenses in the country. They cam improve on defense and still not be very good

blacklistedbully
08-03-2013, 07:14 PM
We lost a NFL DL, LB and two CBs. Two CBs that are likely to be opening day starters as rookies. Not woe-is-me crap. Just the reality of the situation.

I never said we were going to lose. I fully believe we're going to win. I just think we should look at the situation realistically rather than being influenced by misguided thoughts like they won't be able to run the ball or we should be depressed if they pass for 300 yards. Oklahoma State has had a high octane offense for many years. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone if they run or pass for a lot of yards. That's all I'm saying.

But as has been pointed out by others, those guys for us were not utilized properly by Wilson. The fact that they are doing well so far in the NFL is more proof of that than proof of how we'll be worse defensively. Wilson wasted all that talent. I think Collins will maximize the talent we have. Even if the skill set and/or experience is not as good, I believe the coaching will make us overall better.

taylor
08-03-2013, 09:53 PM
they can pass for 350 yards, and we can still win!