PDA

View Full Version : SEC unwritten rule still in effect...

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:31 AM
C34 was 100 percent correct. Mullen DID speak with UGA. He wanted/wants it and it's still a possibility but the SEC office is trying to make it very hard on them. Same thing for South Carolina. He's spoke with them.

mstatefan91
11-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Nice sources

Statefan
11-30-2015, 11:37 AM
99% of coaches in the country would go after the UGA job, especially if they were known to be in the top 3

I'm skeptical he had any interest in leaving us for South Carolina. Probably just listening to what they had to offer

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Nice sources

Someone inside the SEC office is making it clear. Coming from someone who knows. That's good enough for me. 3 open SEC jobs and if non are filled by current SEC coaches you will see I was correct. Tubs was the last one.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
99% of coaches in the country would go after the UGA job, especially if they were known to be in the top 3

I'm skeptical he had any interest in leaving us for South Carolina. Probably just listening to what they had to offer

I agree

SignalToNoise
11-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Nice sources

Do you people really expect someone to out their sources by name on a message board? They'd never be privy to inside information ever again probably.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Do you people really expect someone to out their sources by name on a message board? They'd never be privy to inside information ever again probably.

Lol. Exactly.

mstatefan91
11-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Someone inside the SEC office is making it clear. Coming from someone who knows. That's good enough for me. 3 open SEC jobs and if non are filled by current SEC coaches you will see I was correct. Tubs was the last one.

I was more referring to your inferred statement that the SEC office is the only thing keeping UGA or South Carolina from hiring Mullen. The truth is that he just isn't that appealing to other SEC schools.

Bucky Dog
11-30-2015, 12:01 PM
C34 was 100 percent correct. Mullen DID speak with UGA. He wanted/wants it and it's still a possibility but the SEC office is trying to make it very hard on them. Same thing for South Carolina. He's spoke with them.

No disrespect but we didn't need C34 to tell us Mullen or agent or both had, or are having discussions about the UGA job. He should be as it is a better program and job than ours purely from a tradition and recruiting standpoint.

Taog Redloh
11-30-2015, 12:01 PM
So, all of everyone's 'sources' told them Mullen wants the Georgia job, along with every other coach in the country.

Some insiders, you are.

FISHDAWG
11-30-2015, 12:28 PM
So, all of everyone's 'sources' told them Mullen wants the Georgia job, along with every other coach in the country.

Some insiders, you are.

I find this quite amusing ... now that's clarity of thought.

Jack Lambert
11-30-2015, 12:32 PM
I suspect Mullen isn't the only one going for the GA job. Talk about an easy path to the Playoffs. I would probably lose repect for mullen if he didn't inquire about it. If Mullen is wanting to leave it's not that he want's to leave MSU I think he want's to leave the SEC West.

I am just hoping to get better seats next year.

bulldawg28
No disrespect but we didn't need C34 to tell us Mullen or agent or both had, or are having discussions about the UGA job. He should be as it is a better program and job than ours purely from a tradition and recruiting standpoint.

This

EAVdog
Nice out for if Mullen stays.

Got to love the way Message Boards work!

If it makes you feel any better I'm pretty sure Mullen would have taken the USC job had they offered. As well as 99.9% of all other coaches.

Dawg61
11-30-2015, 12:36 PM

Hmm sounds familiar

HSVDawg
11-30-2015, 01:32 PM

He was interested enough in Maryland to have an offer on the table after multiple discussions and interviews, and possibly bowed out only due to the UGA job coming open unexpectedly and wanting to explore that. If he was that interested in Maryland, he would be guaranteed to also be interested in South Carolina. It's a much better job and it isn't even close.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 02:39 PM
They wouldn't let UT hire him. Why would they let someone else do it now. If I was UT, and UGA hired Mulken and they started kicking my butt every year, I'd be totally pissed at the SEC front office. Onc you put a rule like that in place, it's hard to backtrack. Also, it's better for the league. Brings the bottom half up.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 02:44 PM
They wouldn't let UT hire him. Why would they let someone else do it now. If I was UT, and UGA hired Mulken and they started kicking my butt every year, I'd be totally pissed at the SEC front office. Onc you put a rule like that in place, it's hard to backtrack. Also, it's better for the league. Brings the bottom half up.

This!

nsvltndog
11-30-2015, 02:55 PM
I like the unwritten rule b/c it has been a benefit to MSU, but it won't be good for the SEC if the conference starts losing coaches to other leagues b/c of the perceived glass ceiling blocking them from ever advancing to a program better than the one that currently employs them within the SEC.

This also highlights how much of a snow job the Hugh Freeze offer from Florida was last year.

Also, this unwritten rule will die when Saban retires if Bama wants a coach from another SEC program.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 03:02 PM
I like the unwritten rule b/c it has been a benefit to MSU, but it won't be good for the SEC if the conference starts losing coaches to other leagues b/c of the perceived glass ceiling blocking them from ever advancing to a program better than the one that currently employs them within the SEC.

This also highlights how much of a snow job the Hugh Freeze offer from Florida was last year.

Also, this unwritten rule will die when Saban retires if Bama wants a coach from another SEC program.

I've heard it's in Mc's contract for an out at Bama. Not sure if that will trump the SEC rule, but you know Bama will fight it if they want him.

The rule would be good if it weren't public knowledge. Coaches know after it's been enforced a few times, which could make it hard for the lower tier schools to hire top flight coaches. By go to Vandy when you could wait a year and maybe get the UGA, Auburn, or A&M gig? I don't think it'll matter much, but for some coaches that have a "dream destination" in the SEC it may make them more hesitant to jump at a mid or lower tier SEC program.

In short, what I'm saying is Ole Miss is screwed when Freeze leaves for Bob Jones university.

Count Istvan Teleky
11-30-2015, 03:10 PM
He was interested enough in Maryland to have an offer on the table after multiple discussions and interviews, and possibly bowed out only due to the UGA job coming open unexpectedly and wanting to explore that. If he was that interested in Maryland, he would be guaranteed to also be interested in South Carolina. It's a much better job and it isn't even close.

Mullen wants out.
He gets an offer from Maryland that will get him out. Indications are that he will take that job.

Then the Georgia job opens up and he puts Maryland on hold to explore UGA.
Maryland finds their coach elsewhere.

So, in effect, he p*ssed away a sure thing job in order to look at a job that he a) wanted, along with hundreds of other coaches, b) might/might not have gotten, but c) COULD NOT HAVE gotten it because of the Tuberville rule.

That's interesting.

smootness
11-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Mullen wants out.
He gets an offer from Maryland that will get him out. Indications are that he will take that job.

Then the Georgia job opens up and he puts Maryland on hold to explore UGA.
Maryland finds their coach elsewhere.

So, in effect, he p*ssed away a sure thing job in order to look at a job that he a) wanted, along with hundreds of other coaches, b) might/might not have gotten, but c) COULD NOT HAVE gotten it because of the Tuberville rule.

That's interesting.

Or, again, the more likely scenario:

He either didn't want the Maryland job, so when they offered he turned it down...or, Maryland never wanted him.

MrKotter
11-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Some of you love you some drama to believe a fraction of the rumors posted.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Maryland hasn't hired anyone. They could be waiting on other things to fall into place or it could be because they're not done interviewing.

Johnson85
11-30-2015, 04:53 PM

What does this mean? I get informal pressure in associations like the SEC, but if any of the have's in the SEC really wanted a coach from one of the other schools, I can't believe the SEC could really talk them out of it. I'm not sure any SEC coach that could be poached is such a sure thing that it's worth the ill will that would be generated at the SEC, but with all the competition for coaches, this would be the year that a program might feel it's worth it.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 05:06 PM
I think people are writing off the Maryland information prematurely and overweighting the UGA information... but if I had to guess after yesterday I'd say he's going to stay.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 05:57 PM
What does this mean? I get informal pressure in associations like the SEC, but if any of the have's in the SEC really wanted a coach from one of the other schools, I can't believe the SEC could really talk them out of it. I'm not sure any SEC coach that could be poached is such a sure thing that it's worth the ill will that would be generated at the SEC, but with all the competition for coaches, this would be the year that a program might feel it's worth it.

I don't know the intimate details. I just know that UT tried to hire Dan after his first year at State and the SEC office intervened and it didn't happen. The gentleman who told me this would know... And he gave credit to the SEC office and Slive for stepping in. I have no clue how they stopped it, but apparently they did.

The fact that a HC hasn't left an SEC school for another SEC school since Tubbs is proof enough that they have a way of policing it. (Nutt went to OM but that was after he was fired for that affair and all that crap.)

Johnson85
11-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I don't know the intimate details. I just know that UT tried to hire Dan after his first year at State and the SEC office intervened and it didn't happen. The gentleman who told me this would know... And he gave credit to the SEC office and Slive for stepping in. I have no clue how they stopped it, but apparently they did.

The fact that a HC hasn't left an SEC school for another SEC school since Tubbs is proof enough that they have a way of policing it. (Nutt went to OM but that was after he was fired for that affair and all that crap.)

I definitely believe that UT was discouraged from going after Mullen and that when Slive was there, it really was for all practical purposes an enforceable rule against everybody but Bama. I guess I'm just wondering whether there is really the control/will to enforce it now that Slive is gone, especially in a year where competition for new coaches will be fierce.

Dawgface
11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Finebaum and others must not be aware of the SEC unwritten rule. Mullen and Freeze were both discussed as possible candidates for the GA job. You would think they would be aware of it.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
I definitely believe that UT was discouraged from going after Mullen and that when Slive was there, it really was for all practical purposes an enforceable rule against everybody but Bama. I guess I'm just wondering whether there is really the control/will to enforce it now that Slive is gone, especially in a year where competition for new coaches will be fierce.

No clue if it'll last, but you'd think they'd see the value of it and try to keep it at minimum. This year will b a good testing ground. If Mizzu, SC, and UGA all go outside of the SEC that's fairly telling.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Finebaum and others must not be aware of the SEC unwritten rule. Mullen and Freeze were both discussed as possible candidates for the GA job. You would think they would be aware of it.

I've wondered this too. Seems like F-bomb would certainly be aware of it, although he seems to miss a lot too.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 07:47 PM
No clue if it'll last, but you'd think they'd see the value of it and try to keep it at minimum. This year will b a good testing ground. If Mizzu, SC, and UGA all go outside of the SEC that's fairly telling.

Exactly

HSVDawg
11-30-2015, 08:11 PM
There is no Tuberville rule. There is nothing formal the SEC can do, period. This is so played out that it's ridiculous. Besides, if (hypothetically) Mullen hates Starkville and wants the UGA job, and UGA wants him, the conference hurts both schools by denying him a chance to be hired there. They are basically chasing Mullen out of the SEC by saying he has to either be fired from MSU or take an out of conference job if he wants to leave an undesirable situation. They are also hurting UGA by denying them a qualified candidate and forcing them to take what is probably a more risky hire, like a Kirby Smart who has never been a head coach, or a possible flash in the pan guy from a lesser conference like Tom Herman.

TUSK
11-30-2015, 08:21 PM
I can neither confirm or deny there's an "unwritten rule" in the SEC that "discourages" SEC programs from "poaching" another SEC coach...

But I do know this: there are some schools in the conference that could do it (if they really, really wanted to)... and they'd tell the SEC to "**** off" in the process...

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 08:23 PM
There is no Tuberville rule. There is nothing formal the SEC can do, period. This is so played out that it's ridiculous. Besides, if (hypothetically) Mullen hates Starkville and wants the UGA job, and UGA wants him, the conference hurts both schools by denying him a chance to be hired there. They are basically chasing Mullen out of the SEC by saying he has to either be fired from MSU or take an out of conference job if he wants to leave an undesirable situation. They are also hurting UGA by denying them a qualified candidate and forcing them to take what is probably a more risky hire, like a Kirby Smart who has never been a head coach, or a possible flash in the pan guy from a lesser conference like Tom Herman.

This^^ there is no rule. Everyone knows sexton played ole miss last year w the Florida job- he wasn't getting it- BUT, why would ole miss even be threatened if this rule existed? It doesn't. They might be discouraged, but there is no hard core rule. Keep believing the preacher people if you must....

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 09:22 PM
This^^ there is no rule. Everyone knows sexton played ole miss last year w the Florida job- he wasn't getting it- BUT, why would ole miss even be threatened if this rule existed? It doesn't. They might be discouraged, but there is no hard core rule. Keep believing the preacher people if you must....

Lmao. You're going off speculation and I'm telling you what actually happened. Whether there's a "rule" or not I have no clue, but you're a damn fool if you don't think the SEC gets involved in coaching hires and doesn't have general guidelines for those hires.

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Lmao. You're going off speculation and I'm telling you what actually happened. Whether there's a "rule" or not I have no clue, but you're a damn fool if you don't think the SEC gets involved in coaching hires and doesn't have general guidelines for those hires.

A rule means it can't happen. And that's bullshit. Call me a fool all you want. Highly discouraged and impossible are two different things. And no, I'm not speculating that ole miss paid freeze because they though Florida was courting him.....maybe the "rule" doesn't matter to Florida!!

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Didn't mean to call you a fool. Meant "fool" in a general sense. I think you're smart enough to know the SEC gets involved in coaching searches. That was the general point.

Freeze had a good year and the program was trending up. of course he got a raise. OM money didn't save him from taking the Florida job! I can promise you that.