PDA

View Full Version : Rumors Starting to float...

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 10:57 AM
That staff changes are being made.. The who is merely speculation but don't be suprised if Manny and at least one other coach on that side of the ball is gone. I will tell you what I do know... Chizik, Pruitt, and Ogre are all top choices but we can't afford any of them. Look for us , if Manny is gone, to settle for a Coord at a Mid Major.

Big4Dawg
11-30-2015, 10:58 AM
If these changes don't start with Hevesy, I'll give up. And we can't continue to fire our DCs.

Someone says Mullen tinkers with the Defense anyway, so doubt it really matters who are DC is.

I see no way Mullen and Chizik work together.
Pruitt is probably staying at UGA.
We could have had Orge last year

Bama_Dawg
11-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Hevesy is first on my list, even before Manny to get gone. OL since he's been here has been crap, OL recruiting has been worse than crap.

C222
11-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Hevesy isn't getting fired.

gtowndawg
How can we afford 4.3 for Dan but not afford a decent DC? Are we that top heavy?

cheewgumm
I think Manny gets thrown under the bus to save Hevessy.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 11:02 AM
but we can't afford any of them

Bull shit

msstate7
11-30-2015, 11:02 AM
If we're firing Diaz, I hope it's bc we already have a replacement lined up. Manny was handcuffed by only having 2 decent players in the secondary and he lost one of those. I think in time peters, Bryant, and mclaurin will be good, but they weren't this year

SignalToNoise
11-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Chizik, Pruitt, and Ogre are all top choices but we can't afford any of them.

Not even sure what this means. If we can't afford then they aren't top choices- maybe wishful thinking, but not realistic choices.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Dan really needs to make a couple of splash hires to get people back on his side.

Dawgology
11-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Bull shit

I concur. No offense preach....but we can afford a good coordinator or two. If Hevesy is not handled then you will begin to see the decline of the Mullen era very quickly I believe...barring an OL miracle during the offseason.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 11:05 AM
At least if Mullen makes changes, it would be a sign that he's trying to fix things & plans on staying at MSU.

If he planned on getting another job, why would he make changes?

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Not even sure what this means. If we can't afford then they aren't top choices- maybe wishful thinking, but not realistic choices.

I mean MY Top choices.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
I concur. No offense preach....but we can afford a good coordinator or two. If Hevesy is not handled then you will begin to see the decline of the Mullen era very quickly I believe...barring an OL miracle during the offseason.

I'm not a Hevesy defender, but he put together a strong OL last year and the running game showed it. If this crop we have coming up can step up into that tier next season (not saying it will, just saying it's possible) this year's terrible OL will be quickly forgotten. That and a couple of additional solid recruits on the OL (Gentle Williams flips, Lashley commits) and this train will be back on the tracks.

gtowndawg

It blows my mind that coaches are willing to get fired (eventually) in order to protect a worthless assistant. It's happened here and many other places.

chef dixon
Rumors have been floating AND sinking for a week now.

Bama_Dawg
I think Manny gets thrown under the bus to save Hevessy.

Then OL will continue to be a liability.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:08 AM

We are not paying 800+ for a Coord. Should we? Absolutly! Will we? We all know the answer to that.

PendingTransaction
Wouldn't be surprised. Dan having shit running down his leg and complaining about the coach who farted. With his record of handling DCs, I don't think a good one would be very interested

starkvegasdawg
I won't Hev and Hughes gone at a minimum and Bracky reassigned to making sure the napkin dispenser is always full in the team dining area.

And don't give me we can't get rid of Hughes because he is an excellent recruiter. Is he? What top 5-10 classes have we landed due to Hughes? If he was constantly bringing in elite talent then maybe, but he isn't. Our classes are consistently the worst in the SECW and near the bottom of the SEC period. Then look at how horrible our safety play has been this year. We could put Stevie Wonder back there and he would have as good a chance to be in better position or take a better angle to the ball carrier than what we put on the field this year. So, from my point of view, he is bringing in below average to average talent for our division and then doing a piss poor job of coaching his position group. I just don't see the appeal.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Again, WHO is getting canned is speculation. It may not be many but There ARE staff changes coming soon.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 11:09 AM
We are not paying 800+ for a Coord. Should we? Absolutly! Will we? We all know the answer to that.

I think we played Collins 600+ his final year. Not sure why we wouldn't be willing to go a little higher when we have more money than we've ever had.

starkvegasdawg
11-30-2015, 11:10 AM
At least if Mullen makes changes, it would be a sign that he's trying to fix things & plans on staying at MSU.

If he planned on getting another job, why would he make changes?

Maybe he planned on getting another job and when the ones he wanted told him to piss up a rope he realized he was going to be here at least one more year so he is trying to make some changes to make him look appealing this time next year.

msstate7
Wouldn't be surprised. Dan having shit running down his leg and complaining about the coach who farted. With his record of handling DCs, I don't think a good one would be very interested

Well Diaz and Collins both moved to big name programs from here, so it can't look that bad

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
I still don't see why it's so hard to move Sallach to an off the field position if he's determined to keep him on staff. Hell, it all but happened a few years ago.

preachermatt83
I won't Hev and Hughes gone at a minimum and Bracky reassigned to making sure the napkin dispenser is always full in the team dining area.

And don't give me we can't get rid of Hughes because he is an excellent recruiter. Is he? What top 5-10 classes have we landed due to Hughes? If he was constantly bringing in elite talent then maybe, but he isn't. Our classes are consistently the worst in the SECW and near the bottom of the SEC period. Then look at how horrible our safety play has been this year. We could put Stevie Wonder back there and he would have as good a chance to be in better position or take a better angle to the ball carrier than what we put on the field this year. So, from my point of view, he is bringing in below average to average talent for our division and then doing a piss poor job of coaching his position group. I just don't see the appeal.

Agree 100 percent.

FISHDAWG
11-30-2015, 11:11 AM
only a fool trying to divert blame would fire Manny Diaz

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 11:13 AM

He was heavily involved with Jamaal Petters, but I agree that he should be moved to an off the field position.

Op4isabitch

Do we? Who would have thought 5 yrs ago we'd be paying our HC $4.3mpy?

Really Clark?

I can see what you are saying about play on that side of the ball but just last year we don't sign Peters and Lewis without Hughes. He is elite in this state and would be hired at UNM before he leaves our campus if we fire him. They have already tried to get him before while Jay was still here.

EAVdog
11-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Again, WHO is getting canned is speculation. It may not be many but There ARE staff changes coming soon.

It's the end of the year. That's like saying that the sun will come up tomorrow.

Statefan
11-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Everyone forgets our really really good signing class from last year. And that Hughes literally was on every top guy that we got

Irondawg
11-30-2015, 11:15 AM
I'm on the fence with Manny. To me he wasn't terrible considering the secondary talent although some of his blitzes were baffling. To big question to me with him is why can't we tackle? Was it the technique choice or the teaching of it. I watched the instructional videos on it a few months back and we don't seem to always perform the technique properly

smootness
Fire Tony Hughes? You people are crazy.

maroonmania
Then OL will continue to be a liability.

Yep, apparently we can have a competent OL that works for our running game when we have 3 starters that are 5th year seniors.

EAVdog
I can see what you are saying about play on that side of the ball but just last year we don't sign Peters and Lewis without Hughes. He is elite in this state and would be hired at UNM before he leaves our campus if we fire him. They have already tried to get him before while Jay was still here.

It's like people have gone full retard. Hughes is the best recruiter for MS talent around. OM may still try to hire him again this year.

Taog Redloh
11-30-2015, 11:16 AM
If Mullen fires Manny then I'm off the Mullen bandwagon.

Irondawg
We need to keep Hughes for the recruiting but his positional coaching skills have to be evaluated as we have been really poor there

PendingTransaction
Well Diaz and Collins both moved to big name programs from here, so it can't look that bad

So you think that it looks good that a HC changes DCs like he does his drawers? Even put back on a pair that hadn't been washed!

deltadawg99
11-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Getting rid of Hughes would be dumb. He's a solid coach and great recruiter. No coach on any other staff has the relationships that Hughes does in the state.

I would love for him to get moved to an office recruiting job so he can soley focus on that if we had somebody that was a better Xs & Os coach.

Jarius
11-30-2015, 11:18 AM
If we fire Tony Hughes then our head coach is the biggest idiot on the planet. Blaming the secondary problems on him is asinine. Our problem is talent. We don't have enough of it. The talent we do have is because of him. We need more people who recruit like him. Not less. We need to fire Hevesy because he is an awful recruiter. Sallach needs to be let go as well. They need to be replaced with people who are well known recruiters. That is the main job of position coaches. Recruiting. Coordinators are the overwhelming factor in player development /scheme. All of these position coaches are hired guns to bring in talent for the most part. Hevesy still being here is ridiculous.

Big4Dawg
11-30-2015, 11:19 AM

This.

If you think our recruiting is bad now WITH Hughes, fire him and then see how bad it really can be.

ShotgunDawg

Agree. Manny is misplaced blame if Mullen let's him go.

I'm not saying Manny had a great year, but our defense wasn't the reason we lost the three games we did. Our offensive line was.

BankerDog

Then you can say goodbye to Simmons, Knott, Jones, Brown, Lashley, Davis, etc. You can thank him for Peters, McClaurin, Leo Lewis, Chris Jones, etc.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm on the fence with Manny. To me he wasn't terrible considering the secondary talent although some of his blitzes were baffling. To big question to me with him is why can't we tackle? Was it the technique choice or the teaching of it. I watched the instructional videos on it a few months back and we don't seem to always perform the technique properly

Our defense wasn't the problem for most of the season EXCEPT IN THE FIRST QUARTER. Not sure how to fix that other than better pre-game preparation. For most of the year our defense was tremendous in the second half of games. Other things we have to improve on is creating turnovers and tackling. Not sure how Manny's LT defense can be the nation's top defense in creating turnovers one year and the next year here he can't get hardly any but that's what happened. Takes a special defense to go through a 12 game schedule and only recover ONE fumble. 127 out of 127 defenses in recovered fumbles and that's tough to do.

msstate7
11-30-2015, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't fire Hughes, but I'd think seriously on replacing Townsend with a secondary coach. Maybe even hire a good, young DC from a smaller school that can recruit relatively well and let him be co-DC with focus on secondary

Dawgology
11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
It blows my mind that coaches are willing to get fired (eventually) in order to protect a worthless assistant. It's happened here and many other places.

Same here. For 4 million dollars a year I would have to tell them "adios bitches".

Big4Dawg
11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
I would look at UGA's staff.

Thomas Brown - RB Coach. Produces NFL talent like no other
John Lilly - recruiting cordinator and TE coach for UGA. Has to be better than Sall.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't fire Hughes, but I'd think seriously on replacing Townsend with a secondary coach. Maybe even hire a good, young DC from a smaller school that can recruit relatively well and let him be co-DC with focus on secondary

Our CBs have played well under Townsend for the most part. Our issues in the secondary started when guys started getting hurt, and the floodgates opened when Redmond went down. He coached Redmond and Calhoun into a great tandem.

gtowndawg
11-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Our top 30 classes would be top 60 classes without Hughes. He's the only heavy hitter we have. I agree it would be great to let him croot full time though. Give him a staff and resources and tell him to go get 'em.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:25 AM
I would look at UGA's staff.

Thomas Brown - RB Coach. Produces NFL talent like no other
John Lilly - recruiting cordinator and TE coach for UGA. Has to be better than Sall.

My guess is that the new coach will keep these guys around.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Would not mind nabbing Rob Sale from UGA to replace Hevesy.

NYDawg
11-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Look, you have to get rid of Manny. He's the reason Ole Miss had more sacks against us than they had against Vandy, Auburn, Alabama, LSU and Arkansas combined, right?***

Taog Redloh
11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Agree. Manny is misplaced blame if Mullen let's him go.

I'm not saying Manny had a great year, but our defense wasn't the reason we lost the three games we did. Our offensive line was.
Not to mention that the defense can only do so much when your offense is stagnant. Playing more plays and all. Also, if you're in a shoot-out, defense gets tired. People don't account for this factor. They look at the Arkansas game and said the defense sucked, but if we don't give them the turnovers and short field that we did, we probably win that game 56-21 or so.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Everyone forgets our really really good signing class from last year. And that Hughes literally was on every top guy that we got

Yep, take away Hughes and what kind of classes would we have? BAD, would be my opinion. The ONLY place we normally do well is in state and that has a lot to do with Tony Hughes.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:31 AM
This board has a serious issue with logical thinking here lately.

We're not recruiting well enough? Then the answer must be to fire our best recruiter. That will solve the problem.

defiantdog
11-30-2015, 11:32 AM
That staff changes are being made.. The who is merely speculation but don't be suprised if Manny and at least one other coach on that side of the ball is gone. I will tell you what I do know... Chizik, Pruitt, and Ogre are all top choices but we can't afford any of them. Look for us , if Manny is gone, to settle for a Coord at a Mid Major.
Pruitt's dream job is at Alabama. If he can land the DC position there and not just a position coach, he'll take it in a heart beat. Id really like to get a 3-4 guy at State though.

Bama_Dawg
11-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Steve Campbell, HC of Central Arkansas, replace Hevesy. He's been here (2003), and knows how to develop OL talent.

And I'll damn well bet he's a great recruiter with all of the places in MS he's been.

**Speculation alert** If Campbell would have stayed another year at MGCCC, Rankin would have played LT for us all year (barring injury).

Dawgbite
11-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Look, you have to get rid of Manny. He's the reason Ole Miss had more sacks against us than they had against Vandy, Auburn, Alabama, LSU and Arkansas combined, right?***
Don't be silly.But It was his fault that the cheese dip for the nachos in club level was not hot enough to drizzle over my chips properly!***** Farr his ass.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 11:36 AM

I don't know about that. I wasn't impressed with the defense even before the injuries in the secondary. The most troubling thing to me was the poor tackling. I'm kind of neutral on Manny. I would be ok with giving him another year but I wouldn't cry if he left either. An interesting observation here: I don't know if it's the same people or not but this board is blasting Mullen about a perceived lack of loyalty yet not a peep about that on Manny when we already know he isn't that loyal.

Getting rid of Hughes wold not be a good move for the reasons several have stated.

Hevasey would be the obvious one but I doubt that happens. The guy IS good at coaching what he has. That much should be obvious to everyone. For whatever reason he hasn't had as much to work with as most of the other position coaches have. Whether that is his fault, bad luck, poor evaluation of OL talent, or something else I really don't know.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-30-2015, 11:38 AM
I would be ok with firing Manny if we hired someone that was clearly better.

RougeDawg
11-30-2015, 11:40 AM
only a fool trying to divert blame would fire Manny Diaz

This. Our defense kept us in games all year despite the bad showings the last couple weeks. If our OL and offense has mustered any type of production against Bama we could have won. The defense played almost the entire game and wore down the 2nd half.

Our lack of offensive creativity and ingenuity against the better teams, forced our defense in some tough situations. We need a change in playcalling and scheming. Plus some OL improvement.

Bama_Dawg
11-30-2015, 11:41 AM
This. Our defense kept us in games all year despite the bad showings the last couple weeks. If our OL and offense has mustered any type of production against Bama we could have won. The defense played almost the entire game and wore down the 2nd half.

Our lack of offensive creativity and ingenuity against the better teams, forced our defense in some tough situations. We need a change in playcalling and scheming. Plus some OL improvement.

Ding Ding Ding! This is a winner!

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 11:44 AM
That defense really stonewalled them didn't it? *****

Dawgology
11-30-2015, 11:48 AM

OL improvement and better offensive play in the big games is what we need. Our players looked shell shocked every time we stepped on to the big stage. That is where pure talent comes in to play to help make up for the nerves being rattled.

starkvegasdawg
11-30-2015, 11:51 AM
If we fire Tony Hughes then our head coach is the biggest idiot on the planet. Blaming the secondary problems on him is asinine. Our problem is talent.

Doesn't that go against the mantra of him being an elite recruiter?

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Agree 100 percent.

you and the OP who said we should fire are lost. Fire Hughes and see what happens to recruiting. Bad bad decision.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't know about that. I wasn't impressed with the defense even before the injuries in the secondary. The most troubling thing to me was the poor tackling. I'm kind of neutral on Manny. I would be ok with giving him another year but I wouldn't cry if he left either. An interesting observation here: I don't know if it's the same people or not but this board is blasting Mullen about a perceived lack of loyalty yet not a peep about that on Manny when we already know he isn't that loyal.

Getting rid of Hughes wold not be a good move for the reasons several have stated.

Hevasey would be the obvious one but I doubt that happens. The guy IS good at coaching what he has. That much should be obvious to everyone. For whatever reason he hasn't had as much to work with as most of the other position coaches have. Whether that is his fault, bad luck, poor evaluation of OL talent, or something else I really don't know.

True, but tackling has been a problem for a few years now. Was a problem under Collins as well. Not sure who should get it fixed but somebody needs to because its systemic at this point. I'm actually more concerned about the poor starts every game and the lack of turnovers created.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=preachermatt83;461553] Chizik, Pruitt, and Ogre are all top choices but we can't afford any of them. QUOTE]

I don't believe that for one second.

solodawg
11-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I can see what you are saying about play on that side of the ball but just last year we don't sign Peters and Lewis without Hughes. He is elite in this state and would be hired at UNM before he leaves our campus if we fire him. They have already tried to get him before while Jay was still here.I think we would be crazy to run Hughes off. I agree with Really Clark. He IS an elite recruiter within our State and Freeze will take him in a heartbeat..Freeze tried to bring him in his 1st or 2nd year at OM..

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I would be ok with firing Manny if we hired someone that was clearly better.

No matter who we have hired since Mullen has been here, there hasn't been much change in our overall defensive philosophy. Mullen needs to let the assistants coach and if he doesn't trust these guys to get the job done, then find some he is comfortable with.

Jarius
11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Doesn't that go against the mantra of him being an elite recruiter?

No, it doesn't. We need more talent. The talent we have is largely due to Hughes. One person can't recruit everyone. We need more of him, not less. If we had 6 Tony Hughes on staff we would recruit in the top ten every year. We don't have 6 of him though. We have 1. We need more of him and less dead weight like Hev and Sallach.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 12:22 PM
No matter who we have hired since Mullen has been here, there hasn't been much change in our overall defensive philosophy. Mullen needs to let the assistants coach and if he doesn't trust these guys to get the job done, then find some he is comfortable with.

You get it!

DancingRabbit
11-30-2015, 12:22 PM
I doubt Manny's going anywhere unless he gets a HC job. He's got 2 more years on his contract at $600K per. I think he's a pretty good DC who had a so-so year. With bowl practice, spring and fall camp he'll bounce back next year.

If we choose to make changes, I would suspect it would be Sallach, Townsend or Knox.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Sallach or Knox.

I appreciate their efforts, but time to find another role or move on. The lack of ability to identify and develop a run game is worrisome.

Jack Lambert
11-30-2015, 12:28 PM
How can we afford 4.3 for Dan but not afford a decent DC? Are we that top heavy?

We can afford it.

Dawgtini
11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
If these changes don't start with Hevesy, I'll give up. And we can't continue to fire our DCs.

Someone says Mullen tinkers with the Defense anyway, so doubt it really matters who are DC is.

I see no way Mullen and Chizik work together.
Pruitt is probably staying at UGA.
We could have had Orge last year
Our O-Line was not great this year, but offense was not our problem. Defense is where we needed the most improvement. See below:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/offense/split07/category10/sort01.html

Bubb Rubb
11-30-2015, 12:46 PM

When you look at who Hughes is responsible for getting on campus, you will change your tune. He must stay.

yjnkdawg
11-30-2015, 12:49 PM

This and this was not the aggressive defensive scheme that Manny ran at LA Tech.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 12:55 PM
If Hevesy isn't fired and Manny is it's bullshit period.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Our O-Line was not great this year, but offense was not our problem. Defense is where we needed the most improvement. See below:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/offense/split07/category10/sort01.html

Yep, people tend to overlook this.

tcdog70
11-30-2015, 01:03 PM

You are correct Smoot. If We want to recruit Mississippi we better keep Him. Hev is the lazy recruiter who High School coaches doesn't like. he is like Dan an arrogant Yankee who doesn't relate.There is no reason we can't recruit top notch JUCO OL to play. We need 2 a year.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Click that link then click on MSU. Look at how those numbers are skewed because of play against weak opponents. Not real impressive against the big boys.

Bubb Rubb
11-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Yep, people tend to overlook this.

They also don't understand how critically important the OL is to the entire team - not just the offense. Sure, we need help on the defensive side of the ball, but our inability to establish a run game and control the clock has just as much to do with our defensive shortcomings. We were a quick-strike, air raid offense, which was fun to watch, but it also put more pressure on the defense than it should. This aspect gets overlooked more than anything else.

Offensive line should be priority one for getting fixed this offseason. That starts and ends with Hevesy.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Click that link then click on MSU. Look at how those numbers are skewed because of play against weak opponents. Not real impressive against the big boys.

You realize the big boys also play the weak teams and don't have to play one of the games against them we do don't you?

coastdoglover
11-30-2015, 01:10 PM
I doubt Manny's going anywhere unless he gets a HC job. He's got 2 more years on his contract at $600K per. I think he's a pretty good DC who had a so-so year. With bowl practice, spring and fall camp he'll bounce back next year.

If we choose to make changes, I would suspect it would be Sallach, Townsend or Knox.

Manny is not the problem. He did not get us in the hole by 21 points against the Bears. I think we would be stupid to run him off. Now Hevesey, a different story but I have no doubt he and Sallach are joined at the hip with Mullen. We need an offensive line coach who the players and high school coaches respect and can identify with. I had a high school coach tell me that Hevesey is a prick and we recruit in spite of him.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Those numbers are for conference play only. Does not include our OOC games.

Sacrifice
11-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Steve Campbell, HC of Central Arkansas, replace Hevesy. He's been here (2003), and knows how to develop OL talent.

And I'll damn well bet he's a great recruiter with all of the places in MS he's been.

**Speculation alert** If Campbell would have stayed another year at MGCCC, Rankin would have played LT for us all year (barring injury).

I don't see it happening but If we let Hevesy go and hired Campbell, I would be ecstatic. My son used to go to his Camps at Gulf Coast, he's one of the best OL coaches I've ever meet. I wouldn't mind firing Manny if I thought it would make a difference. It seems like whoever our DC is our D looks about the same. Play 7-10 yards off, bend but don't break, miss some tackles.

War Machine Dawg
11-30-2015, 01:12 PM

+1

I may be ready for Mullen to hit the door if he wants to go, but if he stays, keeping Hughes is paramount.

ScreenCaptureThis
11-30-2015, 01:13 PM
You are correct Smoot. If We want to recruit Mississippi we better keep Him. Hev is the lazy recruiter who High School coaches doesn't like. he is like Dan an arrogant Yankee who doesn't relate.There is no reason we can't recruit top notch JUCO OL to play. We need 2 a year.

Serious question: How does everyone know that Hughes is the reason behind all of the good recruits we get and that Hevesey is disliked by other high school coaches? I'm not stirring the pot, I'm 100% serious because I have no clue how to come up with things like that. I could see if Hughes's name was the lead on the recruiting end, and I haven't kept up that well with that part of recruiting, but I can't come up with a way people would think Hevesey is disliked, unless some of y'all have high school coaches as friends (which is completely plausible, just need to know how this info is coming to light).

Any info would be well appreciated from my end.

DancingRabbit
11-30-2015, 01:13 PM

In our 4 losses there were plenty of issues with the offense too. Turnovers, sacks, not enough scoring and no run game to run clock. I think you place blame on both sides of the ball.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 01:15 PM
They also don't understand how critically important the OL is to the entire team - not just the offense. Sure, we need help on the defensive side of the ball, but our inability to establish a run game and control the clock has just as much to do with our defensive shortcomings. We were a quick-strike, air raid offense, which was fun to watch, but it also put more pressure on the defense than it should. This aspect gets overlooked more than anything else.

Offensive line should be priority one for getting fixed this offseason. That starts and ends with Hevesy.

True, but we were also in the hole to start with in a lot of games and were in track meets more than once where we had to score nearly every trip. THAT changes your play calling That aspect also gets overlooked as much as anything else. I'm not defending the line by the way. Just pointing out that it was far from our only hole this year. This was a rebuilding year at nearly every position except QB and receiver. That was pointed out to us over and over pre-season and we all ignored it, mainly because of Dak. Going 8-4 was actually pretty good. It was better than anyone other than US predicted.

tcdog70
11-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Manny is not the problem. He did not get us in the hole by 21 points against the Bears. I think we would be stupid to run him off. Now Hevesey, a different story but I have no doubt he and Sallach are joined at the hip with Mullen. We need an offensive line coach who the players and high school coaches respect and can identify with. I had a high school coach tell me that Hevesey is a prick and we recruit in spite of him.

i was also told by a elite High School coach that Hev is a joke. Dan was a super arrogant yankee when he came but has gotten better but Hev may be worse.

tcdog70
11-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Serious question: How does everyone know that Hughes is the reason behind all of the good recruits we get and that Hevesey is disliked by other high school coaches? I'm not stirring the pot, I'm 100% serious because I have no clue how to come up with things like that. I could see if Hughes's name was the lead on the recruiting end, and I haven't kept up that well with that part of recruiting, but I can't come up with a way people would think Hevesey is disliked, unless some of y'all have high school coaches as friends (which is completely plausible, just need to know how this info is coming to light).

look at who we sign and who was their lead recruiter--Stevie Wonder can see who can recruit and who can't. Plus I have talked to some of the best High School Coaches and they know for sure.

ScreenCaptureThis
11-30-2015, 01:20 PM
look at who we sign and who was their lead recruiter--Stevie Wonder can see who can recruit and who can't. Plus I have talked to some of the best High School Coaches and they know for sure.

That's why I asked. I have no high school head coach friends so I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Looks to me it's an unbalanced offense that can't run the ball or control the clock. The defense lost some major players to injury and the coaching staff, not just manny, made the decision to teach hawk tackling. Lack of quality depth on the d-line and a depleted secondary was difficult to overcome.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 01:22 PM

I think it hurt our defense too in the fact that they never faced a good run offense in practice. How in the hell are we supposed to simulate playing Bama when we can't run vs anyone else?

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Hughes has so many in roads in this state, especially central part and south, that the coaches willing give him advantages to a lot of players and their families. He is elite in a lot of their eyes. He is also good at finding talent and coaches feed him info a lot. The families love him after that. Peters mom was so committed to us because of Hughes that she kept a lot of things in chec. In several areas of the state he is big time to those coaches and the families see that.

ETA. For those who haven't, if you ever get the chance to spend some time with him and you will come away understanding a little bit why he connects so well. Also, if we make a change with him as far as on the field duties, pay raise assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator, whatever, just keep him on staff.

jumbo
11-30-2015, 01:43 PM

http://247sports.com/Coach/Tony-Hughes-302/AllTimeRecruits

Saltydog
11-30-2015, 01:55 PM
http://www.wtva.com/news/Report_MSU_athletics_profitable_UM_athletics_in_th e_red.html

JoseBrown
11-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Hughes has so many in roads in this state, especially central part and south, that the coaches willing give him advantages to a lot of players and their families. He is elite in a lot of their eyes. He is also good at finding talent and coaches feed him info a lot. The families love him after that. Peters mom was so committed to us because of Hughes that she kept a lot of things in chec. In several areas of the state he is big time to those coaches and the families see that.

ETA. For those who haven't, if you ever get the chance to spend some time with him and you will come away understanding a little bit why he connects so well. Also, if we make a change with him as far as on the field duties, pay raise assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator, whatever, just keep him on staff.

That is absolutely the truth. He can develop relationships very quick. He presents extremely likable, trustful...basically all traits desired to be a great salesman. You will not come away disappointed.

ScreenCaptureThis
11-30-2015, 02:06 PM
http://247sports.com/Coach/Tony-Hughes-302/AllTimeRecruits

Perfect. That's what I'm looking for. Thank you!

NCDawg
11-30-2015, 02:08 PM
If we're firing Diaz, I hope it's bc we already have a replacement lined up. Manny was handcuffed by only having 2 decent players in the secondary and he lost one of those. I think in time peters, Bryant, and mclaurin will be good, but they weren't this year

If Mullen fires Diaz and doesn't fire Hevesy, I see zero hope for the future. Manny came in last year and had to play with what was already recruited. He had no say in the recruiting process. IMO, I think he did a good job with what he had to work with. On the other hand, Hevesy has been with Mullen since he came here, and our OL sucks big time. It is obvious we had 2 primary problems with the team-the OL and the secondary. It is apparent to me the OL coach and the secondary coaches need to be dismissed before anything else.

Bubb Rubb
11-30-2015, 02:11 PM
If Mullen fires Diaz and doesn't fire Hevesy, I see zero hope for the future. Manny came in last year and had to play with what was already recruited. He had no say in the recruiting process. IMO, I think he did a good job with what he had to work with. On the other hand, Hevesy has been with Mullen since he came here, and our OL sucks big time. It is obvious we had 2 primary problems with the team-the OL and the secondary. It is apparent to me the OL coach and the secondary coaches need to be dismissed before anything else.

The problem with the defense is Mullen. They are running what he wants them to run. Our secondary sucks because of the style we are playing. If we don't get pressure with our front 4 (or our front 3 in third and long situations), the QB picks apart our secondary because we're playing zone. It's a scheme problem, not a talent problem. We've run this defense every year, regardless of who the coach is.

Take some time to look up third down conversion % allowed by this defense. That one stat is all you need to see.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 02:20 PM
The problem with the defense is Mullen. They are running what he wants them to run. Our secondary sucks because of the style we are playing. If we don't get pressure with our front 4 (or our front 3 in third and long situations), the QB picks apart our secondary because we're playing zone. It's a scheme problem, not a talent problem. We've run this defense every year, regardless of who the coach is.

Take some time to look up third down conversion % allowed by this defense. That one stat is all you need to see.

Our 3rd down conversion defense rank in conference for conference only games since Mullen has been here starting in 2009: 4th, 2nd, 6th, 12th (Wilson was fired), 5th, 1st, and 11th.

Top half of the league for 5 of his 7. If that is all on Mullen, as you allude to, then he has done a great job considering he also runs the offense and head coaching duties.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 02:21 PM

You see what many refuse to acknowledge.

Mjoelner34
11-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Our top 30 classes would be top 60 classes without Hughes. He's the only heavy hitter we have. I agree it would be great to let him croot full time though. Give him a staff and resources and tell him to go get 'em.

He needs Felker's position.

DawgFromOxford
11-30-2015, 03:09 PM
A few things: 1. Hevesy needs to go plain and simple. 2. I wasn't thrilled about the Diaz hire. For what he was working with he did ok I guess. I give hime one more year. I hate the stupid bend don't break defense. It works against sorry teams not elite teams. I wait for the day that we teach proper tackling to our defense. 3. HIRE AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR! Our lack of creative play calling and the stupid Dak up the middle on 3rd and long is ridiculous. Don't tell me we don't have to money to pay for an elite coordinator when we let ours go and replaced him with no one. We are a SEC school. The money is there, use it.

HaggardDawg
11-30-2015, 03:19 PM
People on here aren't just taking a wild ass guess that Hevesy sucks at recruiting. He has the reputation in MS. I've had 3 HS coaches in this state speak not so fondly of Hevesy. I've also had a father of a recruit we wanted tell me there was no way he was letting his son play for him. Hev knows he's untouchable because of his buddy Mullen. Therefore he's lazy on the recruiting trail. Our best recruiters during the Mullen era (Hughes, Melvin, Hud, Turner, Brewster, Collins) are the coaches who endured the most crap from Mullen while his boys Hev and Sallach are untouchable.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 03:25 PM
People on here aren't just taking a wild ass guess that Hevesy sucks at recruiting. He has the reputation in MS. I've had 3 HS coaches in this state speak not so fondly of Hevesy. I've also had a father of a recruit we wanted tell me there was no way he was letting his son play for him. Hev knows he's untouchable because of his buddy Mullen. Therefore he's lazy on the recruiting trail. Our best recruiters during the Mullen era (Hughes, Melvin, Hud, Turner, Brewster, Collins) are the coaches who endured the most crap from Mullen while his boys Hev and Sallach are untouchable.

Great post! Dan will never give the offensive reigns to someone else. We can only hope that he will turn over the defensive reigns.

Sacrifice
11-30-2015, 03:29 PM

I've heard the same thing. I talked to a HS coach in rankin county a couple of years ago, he said he had heard a lot of stuff about Mullen but really liked him when they meet. Mullen took pictures with his kids and everything but he said Hevesy is freakin "Asshole" sounds like he just rubs some people the wrong way.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 04:21 PM
I've heard the same thing. I talked to a HS coach in rankin county a couple of years ago, he said he had heard a lot of stuff about Mullen but really liked him when they meet. Mullen took pictures with his kids and everything but he said Hevesy is freakin "Asshole" sounds like he just rubs some people the wrong way.

Is it a requirement that every MSU head football coach has some assistant buddy that sucks that is a pure albatross around their neck that they refuse to get rid of? Geez.

Saltydog
11-30-2015, 04:39 PM
think again. I think Saban would fire his ass in a heartbeat.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 04:50 PM
think again. I think Saban would fire his ass in a heartbeat.

Bobby Williams. TE and special teams coach has been with Saban a long time, 4 different stops, including the NFL. If Bama has had weaknesses the last few years especially, it's special teams.

lastmajordog
11-30-2015, 04:51 PM

"Harummph" Blazing Saddles
Most excellent!!

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 06:03 PM

That would be awesome but I'm not sure he would leave that spot for OL coach under Mullen.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Hev has lost more recruits than he's brought in, and he hasn't developed shit for talent along the OL. The man walked into a recruits house and chastised him in front of his parents because he was wearing a shirt of another school that he had gotten at a football camp. It was over at that moment. He doesn't have to kiss a 17 year old ass. He would be fine if he just wasn't a prick.

There was also another big time kid that was interested in state. It took about 800 phone calls from several different people to get Hev to reach out but he finally did. After an initial discussion with the kid, he never called back and backed off of him. Kids a 4-star stud that's going to end up anchoring Clemson's OL.

There are countless stories like these. He has to go or be reassigned to a field coach only. The NCAA rules allow you designate additional recruiting staff now. Mullen should take as rage and take Hev off the road. Either that or out him over MS jucos where he only deals with a few prospects, a few coaches, and has less interaction with recruits families.

cheewgumm
11-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Hev has lost more recruits than he's brought in, and he hasn't developed shit for talent along the OL. The man walked into a recruits house and chastised him in front of his parents because he was wearing a shirt of another school that he had gotten at a football camp. It was over at that moment. He doesn't have to kiss a 17 year old ass. He would be fine if he just wasn't a prick.

There was also another big time kid that was interested in state. It took about 800 phone calls from several different people to get Hev to reach out but he finally did. After an initial discussion with the kid, he never called back and backed off of him. Kids a 4-star stud that's going to end up anchoring Clemson's OL.

There are countless stories like these. He has to go or be reassigned to a field coach only. The NCAA rules allow you designate additional recruiting staff now. Mullen should take as rage and take Hev off the road. Either that or out him over MS jucos where he only deals with a few prospects, a few coaches, and has less interaction with recruits families.

I'd agree with reassigning him, but don't the big time OL recruits want to talk to the coach that they are going to have? what do we say ? "You can talk to him AFTER you are here, not before"... hahah

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-30-2015, 06:25 PM
One major thing that hurts our OL recruiting is Hev and Mullen require them to come to camp to get an offer. Some of your top rated recruits don't want to do this. Ala, LSU, etc. offer their linemen without having to come to camp. I'm sure they have some that are borderline that they want to see, but the 4-5 stars are offered without having to prove themselves in camp.

This shit reminds me of Polk's recruiting.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 06:58 PM
One major thing that hurts our OL recruiting is Hev and Mullen require them to come to camp to get an offer. Some of your top rated recruits don't want to do this. Ala, LSU, etc. offer their linemen without having to come to camp. I'm sure they have some that are borderline that they want to see, but the 4-5 stars are offered without having to prove themselves in camp.

I'm actually 100% in favor of this for every position except OL and DT (zero or 1 type guy). You need to see them in pads anyway.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 07:19 PM

We have 4 4 star and a 5 star OL offered for next year and a 5 star for the 2018 class already. One less than LSU.