PDA

View Full Version : Clay Helton gets permanent USC job

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 10:42 AM
WOW!!! I didn't expect this. I guess Chip said "no thanks"

This also means that Georgia is now the best open job, which lessons the chances that Mullen gets it.

As for USC, they need some stability over there, so, while this maybe wasn't there optimal move, it's not a terrible move because it will allow them to build some culture & stability.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Georgia will hire Herman or Mullen

Thick
11-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Damn, Colin Cowherd looks like an idiot for his report of "big time hire with highest salary, and that it would rock college football". Major fail!

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Smart is top choice... Herman and Mullen are 2a and 2b.

gtowndawg
11-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Winning your rivalry game can do wonders for coaches

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

Biggest difference is that they can pay Herman 3 mil but will have to pay Mullen 4.2+.

Is Mullen worth the extra 1.2 mil a year to pick him over Herman?

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Who is South Carolina gonna hire? I here Temples coach is getting a lot of consideration but Mizzou iS nterested as well. SC wants Smart but aren't gonna win a bidding war with UGA.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Biggest difference is that they can pay Herman 3 mil but will have to pay Mullen 4.2+.

Why do people view Herman as better than Mullen?

MrKotter
11-30-2015, 11:13 AM

This also means that Georgia is now the best open job, which lessons the chances that Mullen gets it.

As for USC, they need some stability over there, so, while this maybe wasn't there optimal move, it's not a terrible move because it will allow them to build some culture & stability.

I'm glad Helton got the job. He's a great guy and deserves this opportunity.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Why do people view Herman as better than Mullen?

Because for most people the "unknown" is more intriguing than "the known".

I think Mullen is better, but I don't expect someone to pay Mullen 1.2 million more than Herman when Herman is more sexy at the moment.

Georgia just fired Richt for not beating Florida, Alabama, LSU, etc.. why would they hire a coach that has also failed to beat those teams?

If Georgia was thinking logically, they'd offer Freeze $5 million a year. He's the only one that beats Bama.

PendingTransaction
11-30-2015, 11:21 AM

I think GA will go after a guy with HC experience. Plus I'm not convinced that Kirby isn't holding out to replace Nick. Plus Dan has a in-road.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:22 AM

I think Mullen is better, but I don't expect someone to pay Mullen 1.2 million more than Herman when Herman is more sexy at the moment.

Georgia just fired Richt for not beating Florida, Alabama, LSU, etc.. why would they hire a coach that has also failed to beat those teams?

If Georgia was thinking logically, they'd offer Freeze $5 million a year. He's the only one that beats Bama.

Herman has been a HC for one year, at Houston. Dan Mullen has been a HC for 7 years and took Mississippi State to #1 in the country in the SEC West. Of course Mullen is going to be paid more...because he's being paid for actual performance, not potential.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 11:25 AM

I'm a big USC fan, they are my second team behind MSU. This was sort of expected. The players really wanted him and I think the stability issue you mentioned had as much to do with it as anything. The Seinors have had 4 different head coaches. It didn't hurt that they beat UCLA for the first time in 4 years either.

smootness
11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
How does Pat Haden still have a job?

defiantdog
11-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Chip is done with college football unless it's his only opportunity. Georgia will interview Smart and Herman..... I think they go with Herman even though Smart really wants it.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM

You have a point with Florida (Dan is 1-1) but Bama and LSU didn't factor in at all really. They don't play them enough in the regular season and Richt beat LSU last year as well. The only idea is maybe playing them in the championship game and if the next coach wins the east in 2-3 years he will be on track for them building them back to championship caliber ball. But Bama and LSU wins is not their benchmark for the regular season. Just don't play them enough. Auburn would be a better guage and it's about perspective from their view of what he has done here. Don't know that answer.

MafiaDawg
11-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Smart is top choice... Herman and Mullen are 2a and 2b.

Not that I believe you, but if Smart is the top option why the hell would they even have a second and third choice. It's not like Smart would turn it down. Sigh.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 01:04 PM
How does Pat Haden still have a job?

I don't know.

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2015, 01:09 PM
I think GA will go after a guy with HC experience. Plus I'm not convinced that Kirby isn't holding out to replace Nick. Plus Dan has a in-road.

Kirby Smart is only 39 years old. It might be that he has enough experience to get the UGA job now. Not sure if he will get Bama. Bama doesn't have to hire a coordinator. Saban has made that job even better than it was.