PDA

View Full Version : You people trying to run Mullen off are bat shit crazy.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm just as pissed at him and our players as anybody else, but I'm amazed at the amount of people who want Dan gone. Dan built this shit and he deserves a chance to right the ship. Don't believe all this BS about "Dan wants out". C34 just wants him out and needs some ammo to lead the masses (you jackasses who believe everything he says).

Dan might go somewhere else but I guarantee nobody except him, his wife, and his agent will know when that time comes. It's pretty easy to predict "Dan wants out.... Dan wants out" when you have a 50-50 shot of getting it right. he might very well want out but nobody on this board knows shit about shit. It sucks getting skull drug by Ole Miss for a second year in a row, and we are a very disappointing 8-4, but be careful what you wish for. And be careful who you believe.

If Dan goes I won't cry myself to sleep, but we need to keep this loss in perspective.

Don't be a dumbass and please don't be a sheep. We already have enough of those to warm an army.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm just as pissed at him and our players as anybody else, but I'm amazed at the amount of people who want Dan gone. Dan built this shit and he deserves a chance to right the ship. Don't believe all this BS about "Dan wants out". C34 just wants him out and needs some ammo to lead the masses (you jackasses who believe everything he says).

Dan might go somewhere else but I guarantee nobody except him, his wife, and his agent will know when that time comes. It's pretty easy to predict "Dan wants out.... Dan wants out" when you have a 50-50 shot of getting it right. he might very well want out but nobody on this board knows shit about shit. It sucks getting skull drug by Ole Miss for a second year in a row, and we are a very disappointing 8-4, but be careful what you wish for. And be careful who you believe.

If Dan goes I won't cry myself to sleep, but we need to keep this loss in perspective.

Don't be a dumbass and please don't be a sheep. We already have enough of those to warm an army.

I think it's crazy to run Mullen off as well, but in defense of those that want to run him off, I think it has more to do with his perceived lack of loyalty to MSU combined with losing to Freeze & recruiting issues.

If Mullen would've come out and stated his love for MSU & some passion for the university, I don't think anyone would want him gone except the absolute extremist.

Lloyd Christmas
11-30-2015, 10:14 AM
I think it's crazy to run Mullen off as well, but in defense of those that want to run him off, I think it has more to do with his perceived lack of loyalty to MSU combined with losing to Freeze & recruiting issues.

If Mullen would've come out and stated his love for MSU & some passion for the university, I don't think anyone would want him gone except the absolute extremist.

Ding Ding Ding - we have winner!

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:15 AM

See that's what I mean, his loyalty to MSU is being questioned by people who don't know shit. I wish he would address all the rumors too, but why would he feel that he has to address some message board rumors.

Like I said, I won't cry myself to sleep if we lose him, but there's too many people losing their minds over 2 egg bowl losses.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 10:19 AM
See that's what I mean, his loyalty to MSU is being questioned by people who don't know shit. I wish he would address all the rumors too, but why would he feel that he has to?

For program stability. From a recruiting and PR perspective. Same reason Les Miles did it years ago when rumored to be Michigan's lead candidate.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 10:19 AM

This is exactly right. Lack of loyalty, lack of fire and passion, lack of will to win are the reasons for frustration. And no one wants him fired, they just want him to leave if he has already given up. How he responds is up to him. Show me something in the bowl game, show me something on the recruiting trail. If I was Dan, I would make Freeze absolutely miserable for the next 4 months. Go out-work his ass every single day, make him tired. Show us something Dan. That's what we need as a fan base right now - even those not speaking up need that.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 10:20 AM
See that's what I mean, his loyalty to MSU is being questioned by people who don't know shit. I wish he would address all the rumors too, but why would he feel that he has to address some message board rumors.

Like I sad, I won't cry myself to sleep if we lose him, but there's too many people losing their minds over 2 egg bowl losses.

That's why I said perceived.

That being said, I know how the business works & coach's names get out because of agents, particularly Mullen's agent. Remember, Mullen's agent works for Mullen, not the other way around. Mullen can tell his agent to stop at any time.

MadDawg
11-30-2015, 10:20 AM

Like I sad, I won't cry myself to sleep if we lose him, but there's too many people losing their minds over 2 egg bowl losses.

I'm with you. But so far I've been called a bitch and "lost" for having that opinion.

preachermatt83
11-30-2015, 10:24 AM
This is exactly right. Lack of loyalty, lack of fire and passion, lack of will to win are the reasons for frustration. And no one wants him fired, they just want him to leave if he has already given up. How he responds is up to him. Show me something in the bowl game, show me something on the recruiting trail. If I was Dan, I would make Freeze absolutely miserable for the next 4 months. Go out-work his ass every single day, make him tired. Show us something Dan. That's what we need as a fan base right now - even those not speaking up need that.

Nail, meet hammer!

1MidsouthDawg
11-30-2015, 10:24 AM
I am amazed and I hear recruiting issues, which is BS. What number of stars was DAK? Less than 5 or 4, 3 by most and 2 by a few others, CDM continues to develop talent and do more with less. Also, when was the last time we had chance at 5 top 300 players? I would guess never. With this years Freshman getting playing time and next years class looking good, I have to say BS on we do not recruit. CDM has proven he knows more than STARS services.

We knew we had issue with OL and that was confirmed, but we still won 8 games in a rebuilding year. We are stocked to make good run and hope all the naysayers understand a coach with 6 winning seasons in 7 at STATE is a GREAT, regardless of one year.

Also, how else do you expect his agent to determine CDM's Fair Market value, if not by talking to teams that have openings. Some of you should use your head for more than a hat rack.
CDM says he wants to stay in Starkville, he has a senior lead team coming back with talented Freshman that got playing time and he would leave for UGA that fired their coach for a 9-3 season??? Also, UGA fans do not want him. He is step up in Starkville and I would be very surprised if he left, but I have been wrong before and I do not claim any INSIDE knowledge.

As for after the game, I believe he was just spend emotionally, the death of freshman immediately before BAMA, overtime win at Ark last week, and DAK's senior night, a player he considers like a son . I personally would have been spent after those events and that is what you saw. He is human regardless of what anyone else expects.

Go DAWGs and HAILSTATE!!!

Thick
11-30-2015, 10:25 AM
See that's what I mean, his loyalty to MSU is being questioned by people who don't know shit. I wish he would address all the rumors too, but why would he feel that he has to?

I'll tell you why, because he's an employee that has been given EVERYTHING he has asked for by the fans and the university. He's been here 7 years, and he should have enough respect for the everyone involved to be upfront and honest. If he wants a raise, then just talk to Stricklin after the season. If he wants out, then tell Stricklin. The guy has done a great job at MSU, but we have looked very pedestrian this year, and that's unacceptable in year 7. We knew that we would not finish last in the SEC, but we could have made a really strong statement if we won 2 out of 3 (LSU, aTm, or OM). Just come out and be highly focused, energized, and competitive vs OM, and all of these threads would not be here.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm with you. But so far I've been called a bitch and "lost" for having that opinion.

I'm honestly surprised that "fire mullen" has gained to much traction so quickly. What if we switched and Arkansas loss with the Ole Miss loss? Would we be even be having this conversation?

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:28 AM
I'll tell you why, because he's an employee that has been given EVERYTHING he has asked for by the fans and the university. He's been here 7 years, and he should have enough respect for the everyone involved to be upfront and honest. If he wants a raise, then just talk to Stricklin after the season. If he wants out, then tell Stricklin. The guy has done a great job at MSU, but we have looked very pedestrian this year, and that's unacceptable in year 7. We knew that we would not finish last in the SEC, but we could have made a really strong statement if we won 2 out of 3 (LSU, aTm, or OM). Just come out and be highly focused, energized, and competitive vs OM, and all of these threads would not be here.

I agree with you. But the thing is, nobody knows shit about what's going on behind the scenes. He might want out, but he's not required to tell us anything.

Would you tell your boss you wanted "out" before you found another job?

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Exactly, we are not going to run Mullen off regardless but the vast majority of people that want Mullen gone want that due to the pervasive story out that he "wants out of Starkville", not based on his coaching performance. Lots of fans feel that after the support we've given him from the administration and from the fanbase and with a salary of 4 million plus per year, that if he doesn't want to be here then he shouldn't let the door hit his rear on the way out. My absolute biggest disappointment with Mullen is that he really doesn't seem to be raising our recruiting profile any more now in year 7 than he did in year 1 and 2. The only way Mullen could ever win really big consistently IMO would be for him to go to a school that recruits LOTS of talent just based on name alone where its not dependent on him and his staff to do a big selling job. Freeze and staff eat, sleep and drink recruiting and that's a big advantage for them especially with the NCAA being such an anemic enforcement entity.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2015, 10:41 AM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-58475-Morgan-Freeman-hes-right-you-k-9kKd.jpeg

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:41 AM
That's what I'm trying to get people to see here. The whole "Mullen wants out of Starkville" story is perceived. His lack of loyalty is "perceived". And this is brought on by message board posters who don't know a damn thing about what is going on.

Do you realize what you are saying? You want Mullen gone because you "heard from other people" who "don't know a hill of beans" that he is not being loyal to the University. That's the life of a sheep.

bobcat91
11-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Fans go crazy when we lose to UM, especially 2 years in a row. It's hard to have a rational discussion with folks who want him gone, just like 2 years ago when Hud the Pious was being trumpeted. We have a chance a t 19 wins in 2 years which is rare air at MSU. It is hard as hell to recruit at State and every coach we have ever had has said the same. All I hear is we need to hire xxxx and he will bring instant results like magic dust. I want to see more fire from Dan, but we are in good shape outside of OL and DB and that needs to be our focus.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
That's what I'm trying to get people to see here. The whole "Mullen wants out of Starkville" story is perceived. His lack of loyalty is "perceived". And this is brought on by message board posters who don't know a damn thing about what is going on.

Do you realize what you are saying? You want Mullen gone because you "heard from other people" who "don't know a hill of beans" that he is not being loyal to the University. That's the life of a sheep.

Let's try this: *IF* Dan wants out, *HE SHOULD GO NOW AND NOT WAIT!*. *IF* he wants to stay at MSU, *HE SHOULD SHOW US MORE FIRE AND PASSION THAN HE DID AT THE EGG BOWL.*

Is anything about those statements unreasonable? Honestly, if there is please say so. Note my emphasis on the word *IF", and nowhere in the above am I suggesting that he be fired or "run off". I haven't seen any serious person make that demand.

EAVdog
11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Had we won the Egg Bowl, everyone would be riding his jock all the way to the Sugar Bowl. Regardless of the stupid stories about him wanting out of Starkville. Which was started by Football Scoop, a notoriously biased outlet. Shit how many times does the man have to address every rumor? He's been here 7 years and do you think he really hasn't had opportunities to leave?

Now recruiting needs to be better if we're going to be more than just competitive. But let's not forget we were 2nd in the SEC West last year with his recruiting. Specifically we need work on the OL. Had Rankin played out this year or we had another year eligibility from some of the guys last year this season would be completely different.

I've watched this season play out just like everyone else. I saw Mullen 'Dab'ing in the locker room after Arkansas, I saw him at MJ's funeral. I've seen him get emotional about his players and Dak. Anyone who thinks he doesn't love this place is full of shit.

If he ends up at Georgia so be it, but by god we're acting like a bunch of spoiled bitches over one game.

MetEdDawg
Here's the thing. Mullen isn't an idiot. He knows his name is being thrown around. But part of the reason we suck in recruiting is because his name gets mentioned and he just doesn't come straight out and say I am 100% committed to MSU, the direction of this program, and bringing a championship to Starkville. He just says I'm happy here and like my job and getting your name thrown out there is just part of the process. Means we are doing good. So that gets used against him on the recruiting trail and we can actually confirm that part at least because recruits have said that. So if we want to get better in that regard, there's one place we can look and have tangible evidence to draw upon.

If you have to say it every year to reassure recruits, then dammit do it. All he had to do was say "The media and other sources can mention my name for other jobs all they want to. It's a waste of time for them because we are building a winner at MSU and I'm 100% committed to the progress we are making and the continued success we will have at MSU". I mean how freaking hard is that. But instead he plays it off like oh it's just something that happens and you just deal with it and move forward. Doesn't engender trust as a fan base or a recruit, especially when it can be taken out of context or manipulated in soemone's living room without you there to defend it.

AROB44

Coaches are not as loyal nor have the love for a university as alumni and fans do. It is a business and they know that the minute they lose, they could be fired. Just read this message board and look at the folks that either want Mullen fired or for him to leave. Never mind what he has done in the past....what has he done now. Loyalty should run both ways, but it does not.

Political Hack
11-30-2015, 10:51 AM
I am amazed and I hear recruiting issues, which is BS. What number of stars was DAK? Less than 5 or 4, 3 by most and 2 by a few others, CDM continues to develop talent and do more with less. Also, when was the last time we had chance at 5 top 300 players? I would guess never. With this years Freshman getting playing time and next years class looking good, I have to say BS on we do not recruit. CDM has proven he knows more than STARS services.

We knew we had issue with OL and that was confirmed, but we still won 8 games in a rebuilding year. We are stocked to make good run and hope all the naysayers understand a coach with 6 winning seasons in 7 at STATE is a GREAT, regardless of one year.

Also, how else do you expect his agent to determine CDM's Fair Market value, if not by talking to teams that have openings. Some of you should use your head for more than a hat rack.
CDM says he wants to stay in Starkville, he has a senior lead team coming back with talented Freshman that got playing time and he would leave for UGA that fired their coach for a 9-3 season??? Also, UGA fans do not want him. He is step up in Starkville and I would be very surprised if he left, but I have been wrong before and I do not claim any INSIDE knowledge.

As for after the game, I believe he was just spend emotionally, the death of freshman immediately before BAMA, overtime win at Ark last week, and DAK's senior night, a player he considers like a son . I personally would have been spent after those events and that is what you saw. He is human regardless of what anyone else expects.

Post more.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 10:51 AM
What kind of loyalty do y'all expect? He has been linked with dang near every major open job since he has been here and he is still here. He was asked directly to comment recently and he said he saw no need to comment other than to say he liked the job he had and wasn't looking for another one. What else can the man say? Like every single one of you here if one of the top companies in his field approaches him I'm sure he would at least listen to what they have to say. Y'all are making an impossible demand and if that's what you want then you better be prepared to coach yourself, because no coach worth his salt would accept that kind of demand.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Let's try this: *IF* Dan wants out, *HE SHOULD GO NOW AND NOT WAIT!*. *IF* he wants to stay at MSU, *HE SHOULD SHOW US MORE FIRE AND PASSION THAN HE DID AT THE EGG BOWL.*

Is anything about those statements unreasonable? Honestly, if there is please say so. Note my emphasis on the word *IF", and nowhere in the above am I suggesting that he be fired or "run off". I haven't seen any serious person make that demand.

Right, if he wants to go he should not wait. But you could say that about any year he was at State, or about any job in general. Nobody has proven to me that he wants out. That's all I'm saying.

And my original post was about the people who want him gone, and there are lots out there.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 10:53 AM

Excellent. You need to post more often.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Had we won the Egg Bowl, everyone would be riding his jock all the way to the Sugar Bowl. Regardless of the stupid stories about him wanting out of Starkville. Which was started by Football Scoop, a notoriously biased outlet. Shit how many times does the man have to address every rumor? He's been here 7 years and do you think he really hasn't had opportunities to leave?

Now recruiting needs to be better if we're going to be more than just competitive. But let's not forget we were 2nd in the SEC West last year with his recruiting. Specifically we need work on the OL. Had Rankin played out this year or we had another year eligibility from some of the guys last year this season would be completely different.

I've watched this season play out just like everyone else. I saw Mullen 'Dab'ing in the locker room after Arkansas, I saw him at MJ's funeral. I've seen him get emotional about his players and Dak. Anyone who thinks he doesn't love this place is full of shit.

If he ends up at Georgia so be it, but by god we're acting like a bunch of spoiled bitches over one game.

^^THIS ALL DAY^^ I'm guilty just as much as any other fan. After the game I was telling everybody "no way in hell I go see these guys play a bowl game" Am I serious?

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Here's the thing. Mullen isn't an idiot. He knows his name is being thrown around. But part of the reason we suck in recruiting is because his name gets mentioned and he just doesn't come straight out and say I am 100% committed to MSU, the direction of this program, and bringing a championship to Starkville. He just says I'm happy here and like my job and getting your name thrown out there is just part of the process. Means we are doing good. So that gets used against him on the recruiting trail and we can actually confirm that part at least because recruits have said that. So if we want to get better in that regard, there's one place we can look and have tangible evidence to draw upon.

If you have to say it every year to reassure recruits, then dammit do it. All he had to do was say "The media and other sources can mention my name for other jobs all they want to. It's a waste of time for them because we are building a winner at MSU and I'm 100% committed to the progress we are making and the continued success we will have at MSU". I mean how freaking hard is that. But instead he plays it off like oh it's just something that happens and you just deal with it and move forward. Doesn't engender trust as a fan base or a recruit, especially when it can be taken out of context or manipulated in soemone's living room without you there to defend it.

I completely agree with this. Maybe he's much less cavalier and more direct as you suggest with recruits and their families, hopefully so. I just don't know what he stands to gain by keeping his name out there for shitty jobs like Maryland. Yes, let's be clear; that's a shitty job, I don't care how much it pays. Georgia is a different matter, but I don't think he's nearly as high on the list. We shall see how this all turns out...

chef dixon
11-30-2015, 11:01 AM
ghostofjackie, you have articulated perfectly exactly how I feel about the matter. Wasn't even going to bother typing it so I thank you for this.

dawgs
11-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Our OL recruits are usually ranked in the bottom 25-30 percent of our class, usually no more than a 85ish composite on 247. The couple of 4* guys we do sign end up busts. And our OL is our most glaring weakness imo. So might want to rethink the stars don't matter mentality.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Had we won the Egg Bowl

Uh but we didn't and it wasn't close.. at home.. The playbook is out there and we actively try to not replicate it.

EAVdog
11-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Uh but we didn't and it wasn't close.. at home.. The playbook is out there and we actively try to not replicate it.

Yeah we lost. We were without two of our best players in the Secondary and our LT. And our RT got hurt. Dak was too emotional in the first quarter he made some uncharacteristic mistakes. Their DLine ate us up on the OL. If you want to be mad, be mad about that.

Frankly I'm more pissed we lost to LSU. But do I want to burn the house down over it. No, have some damn perspective.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:26 AM

Tell me, how many other SEC head coaches have MULTIPLE media talking heads out there reporting that he wants out of Oxford, Auburn, Knoxville, Lexington, Nashville, Fayetteville, etc. NONE. They aren't all just on a MSU-hate campaign and are getting this from somewhere. Mullen could do a LOT more than he has if it isn't true and he really wanted to stop it.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Fans go crazy when we lose to UM, especially 2 years in a row. It's hard to have a rational discussion with folks who want him gone, just like 2 years ago when Hud the Pious was being trumpeted. We have a chance a t 19 wins in 2 years which is rare air at MSU. It is hard as hell to recruit at State and every coach we have ever had has said the same. All I hear is we need to hire xxxx and he will bring instant results like magic dust. I want to see more fire from Dan, but we are in good shape outside of OL and DB and that needs to be our focus.

Yes, MSU fans get pissed about losing to OM but the rumors of Mullen trying to find another job started on this board and other places well BEFORE the Egg Bowl ever kicked off.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 11:35 AM
ghostofjackie, you have articulated perfectly exactly how I feel about the matter. Wasn't even going to bother typing it so I thank you for this.

You're welcome. I sell T-Shirts too.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Tell me, how many other SEC head coaches have MULTIPLE media talking heads out there reporting that he wants out of Oxford, Auburn, Knoxville, Lexington, Nashville, Fayetteville, etc. NONE. They aren't all just on a MSU-hate campaign and are getting this from somewhere. Mullen could do a LOT more than he has if it isn't true and he really wanted to stop it.

You do know how all this works right? Agents put it out there- raise - rince- repeat next year. It's pretty easy to predict what will happen next year when we go 8-4 again.

Dawgtini
11-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Bravo. Excellent post.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Yes, MSU fans get pissed about losing to OM but the rumors of Mullen trying to find another job started on this board and other places well BEFORE the Egg Bowl ever kicked off.

Exactly. And they were started by people who don't know shit.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:57 AM
You do know how all this works right? Agents put it out there- raise - rince- repeat next year. It's pretty easy to predict what will happen next year when we go 8-4 again.

Then Mullen needs to tell his agent to shut the he!! up. We've given Mullen raises like crazy so the least of Mullen's problems is how much money he is making. His assistants need more money so we can get some better ones but he doesn't.

ghostofjackie
11-30-2015, 09:03 PM
I agree that we need more money for assistants. We also need to pay mullen more if we want to keep him.

Churchill
11-30-2015, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;461472]I think it's crazy to run Mullen off as well, but in defense of those that want to run him off, I think it has more to do with his perceived lack of loyalty to MSU combined with losing to Freeze & recruiting issues.

I think the recruiting issues and his perceived lack of loyalty to MSU are related. Would you sign with a guy who is always about to leave for greener pastures if you had somewhere else to go ? AND the good ones ALWAYS have somewhere else to go.

rem101
11-30-2015, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;461472]I think it's crazy to run Mullen off as well, but in defense of those that want to run him off, I think it has more to do with his perceived lack of loyalty to MSU combined with losing to Freeze & recruiting issues.

I think the recruiting issues and his perceived lack of loyalty to MSU are related. Would you sign with a guy who is always about to leave for greener pastures if you had somewhere else to go ? AND the good ones ALWAYS have somewhere else to go.

What does "always about to leave" mean? How is he always about to leave if he's still here after 7 years?

confucius say
11-30-2015, 09:49 PM

Key word here being perceived.

ScottH
12-01-2015, 01:24 AM
Also, how else do you expect his agent to determine CDM's Fair Market value, if not by talking to teams that have openings.

I respectfully disagree a bit.

Dan's market value is what someone else is willing to pay to get him from us or us to keep him from leaving.

From my vantage point, albeit distant, we don't know what someone else is willing to pay. Despite his name being attached to most every opening except Jackson Academy and Tennessee Titans, haven't seen an offer. Seems to always be in the starting gate but never in the money.

As I see it, we doing the worst negotiating of all....we are negotiating against ourselves.

Just his and Rick Diamond's version of Sexton's schooling of BeeYork last year. They just seem to do it to Stricklin annually.

dawgs
12-01-2015, 03:31 AM
I agree that we need more money for assistants. We also need to pay mullen more if we want to keep him.

Go look at the coaches making more than Mullen. Most of them have accomplished significantly more and/or coach for a program with bottomless pockets. Mullen has earned raises to this point, but he needs to take the next step if he wants another big raise. Until then put that extra money towards the assistant pool.

smootness
12-01-2015, 05:28 AM
Go look at the coaches making more than Mullen. Most of them have accomplished significantly more and/or coach for a program with bottomless pockets. Mullen has earned raises to this point, but he needs to take the next step if he wants another big raise. Until then put that extra money towards the assistant pool.

Coaches making more than Mullen:

Kirk Ferentz
Gus Malzahn
Art Briles
Hugh Freeze
Les Miles
James Franklin
Kevin Sumlin
Charlie Strong
Bob Stoops
Jimbo Fisher
Urban Meyer
Jim Harbaugh
Nick Saban

Meh, that's a pretty mixed bag to some degree. Obviously at the top you have the elite guys, but behind them are some guys who haven't really accomplished more than Mullen, especially given the disparity in program. And that's the thing - State having more limited resources than some of these schools is not a rationale for why we should pay Mullen less; it's actually a good reason why we should pay him more. It is harder to keep a successful coach at State than it is at those other programs for reasons beyond simply salary, and it is also more difficult to reach a certain level of success at State than it is at the 'bigger' programs. Therefore, we have to pay more than simply the market rate in order to keep a good coach around.

I don't really understand what we want. We brag about being able to pay top dollar for a head coach, then turn right around and complain that Mullen is paid too much given our program's resources. We can't go crazy with his salary, sure, and I have no issues with not giving him a raise if the performance hasn't measured up recently. But when other programs come calling, sometimes you have to pony up if you want to keep a guy.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Nothing wrong with Mullen's check, assistants need more though.

JUNKYARDAWG
12-01-2015, 09:17 AM
The right assistants need more. We need to cherry pick a couple of assistant coaches with recruiting prowess from some of these teams that fired there coach even if it means paying more.

ghostofjackie
12-01-2015, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=Churchill;462244]

What does "always about to leave" mean? How is he always about to leave if he's still here after 7 years?

But you don't know shit REM. I saw a moving van and one foot outside his front door in 2012. Megan must have pulled him back in.

dawgs
12-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Coaches making more than Mullen:

Kirk Ferentz
Gus Malzahn
Art Briles
Hugh Freeze
Les Miles
James Franklin
Kevin Sumlin
Charlie Strong
Bob Stoops
Jimbo Fisher
Urban Meyer
Jim Harbaugh
Nick Saban

Meh, that's a pretty mixed bag to some degree. Obviously at the top you have the elite guys, but behind them are some guys who haven't really accomplished more than Mullen, especially given the disparity in program. And that's the thing - State having more limited resources than some of these schools is not a rationale for why we should pay Mullen less; it's actually a good reason why we should pay him more. It is harder to keep a successful coach at State than it is at those other programs for reasons beyond simply salary, and it is also more difficult to reach a certain level of success at State than it is at the 'bigger' programs. Therefore, we have to pay more than simply the market rate in order to keep a good coach around.

I don't really understand what we want. We brag about being able to pay top dollar for a head coach, then turn right around and complain that Mullen is paid too much given our program's resources. We can't go crazy with his salary, sure, and I have no issues with not giving him a raise if the performance hasn't measured up recently. But when other programs come calling, sometimes you have to pony up if you want to keep a guy.

Kirk Ferentz - mixed success, couple of 10+ W seasons, actually probably comparable with Mullen and state in that Iowa probably overpaid to keep him back when he was hot, and he's a good coach, but mostly he's been a 8-9 W guy making natty caliber coach $$ at a school without bottomless pockets
Gus Malzahn - coached auburn to a natty appearance, bottomless pockets
Art Briles - multiple 10+ W seasons, private school so lots of $$ in the endowment
Hugh Freeze - beat mullen's ass 3/4 years and on the cruitin' trail, beat bama twice
Les Miles - won natty, bottomless pockets
James Franklin - program was going through MAJOR issues and sanctions necessitating an overpay situation, plus bottomless pockets
Kevin Sumlin - bottomless pockets
Charlie Strong - bottomless pockets
Bob Stoops - won natty, bottomless pockets
Jimbo Fisher - won natty, bottomless pockets
Urban Meyer - won natty, bottomless pockets
Jim Harbaugh - turned Stanford into a contender, nearly won a super bowl, bottomless pockets
Nick Saban - won natty, bottomless pockets

So like I said most of then either have accomplished significantly more and/or coach for a program where $$ isn't an issue. Ferentz, freeze, and briles are the only 3 that are comparable and they all have more accomplishments than Mullen at this point, one beating his ass head to head in all facets of being a CFB coach.