PDA

View Full Version : Luck or Skill?

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Listening to Bo Bounds this morning, & he told an interesting story about talking to an NFL scout this weekend on the difference between Prescott & MGK. The scout pointed out to Bo that MGK has two NFL tackles blocking for him in Tunsil & Cooper & MSU has nothing on the offensive line blocking for Prescott that would start at other SEC schools.

With this in mind, was it skill or plain luck that allowed to Ole Miss acquire two NFL caliber players in Chad Kelly & Fahn Cooper while being basically unopposed in recruiting those players?

I believe that luck favors the aggressive & that it was Ole Miss' aggressiveness in recruiting that offered them this opportunity, but let's also be real here. Fahn Cooper was an 87 rated transfer from Bowling Green & Ole Miss acquired Chad Kelly basically unopposed from EMCC because he was kicked out of Clemson & had further issues. If Chad Kelly had a stable personality, would he have left Clemson? Would Georgia & LSU (two teams that don't have a QB) still have sat on sidelines & never offered Kelly?

Point is, as much as we call out Ole Miss for cheating, they acquired two NFL players on this year's team with a ton of luck & I'm not even mentioning Stringfellow.

Mullen needs to see these type of opportunities & not be reactionary but rather lead the charge & seek these players out.

RealHastings
11-30-2015, 09:41 PM
No, just no. I agree with you that I want Mullen to seek out better players. But not like this. 2 out of the 3 you mentioned are thug-azz pieces of shyt that I do now want in starkville.

MafiaDawg
11-30-2015, 09:57 PM
I for one don't give a shit if we have choir boys or not.

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 10:20 PM
I for one don't give a shit if we have choir boys or not.

Let's be honest. We don't. Nobody does. They just have it to a higher degree. As long as we win nobody cares. When we lose, shit hits the fan w the avg fan.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Let's be honest. We don't. Nobody does. They just have it to a higher degree. As long as we win nobody cares. When we lose, shit hits the fan w the avg fan.

I will be the first to say that in a perfect world that I know doesn't exist I want guys like Dak that are hard workers and are of high morale fiber all throughout the team.

But the real world which we live in I think football for whatever reason you need some guys that have that edge and ego probably because it's such an emotional sport. We just have to balance it. And I'm not sure that we need dirty players- but I think someone like a Josh Robinson would have benefitted our team greatly. I just didn't see a lot of swagger from our guys all year and I think it's one reason why we would always start out slow especially on defense.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Uh, blind flash of the obvious, having a thug mean streak is an advantage for playing most positions in football.

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Uh, blind flash of the obvious, having a thug mean streak is an advantage for playing most positions in football.

There is clearly A difference between being a "thug" and having a mean streak.

msstate7
11-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Wonder how much losing those 2 tackles and treadwell will factor into Kelly's decision to stay or go

Homedawg
11-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Wonder how much losing those 2 tackles and treadwell will factor into Kelly's decision to stay or go

Does he have a decision? I mean he's a Saturday pick at best

msstate7
11-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Does he have a decision? I mean he's a Saturday pick at best

Well he's probably at his peak right now bc of surrounding cast. If he comes back, he's most likely FA at best next season

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 11:17 PM
There is clearly A difference between being a "thug" and having a mean streak.

Definitely a fine line for sure.

Our team right now is wayyyyy too soft.