PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's time to re-think running off Mullen

msstate7
11-30-2015, 07:59 AM
We have a good chance of winning 9 games this year. That isn't very common here. Since 1970 (farthest I could find a list of records), we've won 9 or more games 6 times. We have a chance to do it this year to make it 7.

Using 1970 as my starting point, we won 9 or more 4 times before Mullen got here... 4 out of 39 years (10.3%). We made a bowl 10 times... 10 out of 39 years (25.6%). Since Mullen got here, we'll have either won 9 or more 3 out of 7 years (42.9%) or 2 out of 7 years (28.6%). Mullen has gotten us in a bowl 6 of 7 years (85.7%).

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the egg bowl, but we better be careful what we wish for...

WinningIsRelentless
11-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Spot on. It sucks losing to ole miss but they just had more talent than we did this year.

PassInterference
11-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Comparisons to eras decades ago before the riches of ESPN are not relevant. We have all the resources we need to be successful in our own conference. That wasn't the case throughout most of the Templeton era and before.

DownwardDawg
11-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Mullen isn't/wasn't going anywhere. This board gets stupid when we lose a game or 2. 8-4 will get you a statue built at MSU.
I've believed too much BS on these boards in the past and NONE of it was ever true.

msstate7
11-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Comparisons to eras decades ago before the riches of ESPN are not relevant. We have all the resources we need to be successful in our own conference. That wasn't the case throughout most of the Templeton era and before.

Look at Tennessee post-fulmer, Florida after meyer, vandy after Franklin, and Arkansas still can't get back to Petrino level. Kentucky can't make a bowl in the easy side of the sec. South Carolina has fell off the map. The only sec schools that have more wins than us the last 2 years are Alabama and Georgia... Tied with om.

John Farley
11-30-2015, 08:17 AM
The problem is the same for Dan as it is for most of us fans. Before he was hired if you said we would be 8-4 and 4-4 most of us would have been over the moon. But Dan Mullen raised the bar. He let us see what Jackie let us see in 1998. We can expect more. We can want more. Dan needs to regain that fire and cockiness and us against the world mentality he had when he first got here. And we need to rally around him now as a fan base. I under stand that there will be those who got there feelings hurt. So? Just because you write a check doesn't mean you should be able to call shots. You trusted this cat enough to hire him then let him do his job. If he truly wants out and wants to leave there are schools that would take him in a heart beat. Sometimes just because it looks different this time doesn't mean it is different.

smootness
11-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Look at Tennessee post-fulmer, Florida after meyer, vandy after Franklin, and Arkansas still can't get back to Petrino level. Kentucky can't make a bowl in the easy side of the sec. South Carolina has fell off the map. The only sec schools that have more wins than us the last 2 years are Alabama and Georgia... Tied with om.

Yes. People act like because we now pay our coach a lot and have nicer facilities, it's easy to win in the SEC. There are plenty of examples that prove otherwise. And while our coach salary is now competitive in the league, the rest of our athletic budget is not; we just use more of it on coaching than the others, which is smart. Our talent base still puts us at a disadvantage, as does our history, program prestige, and the resources at our disposal.

You have some programs flush with cash who can't figure out how to put a good team on the field. We are certainly in better position monetarily than we've ever been relative to the country, but our standing within the SEC hasn't changed that much.

GreenheadDawg
11-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Spot on. It sucks losing to ole miss but they just had more talent than we did this year.

Yeh and this will be a common experience for years to come. We are getting left behind and if you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. StARzz don't matter!!!! Line is apparently looking pretty ignorant because obviously all that does. If yall are happy with beating up on directional schools, Kentucky, and whichever west team is down then have at it. Suck mullen's dick all you want because I'm done. He gave up on my school so **** him I'm giving up on him. What's he has done is unforgivable in my eyes

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 08:36 AM
We have a good chance of winning 9 games this year. That isn't very common here. Since 1970 (farthest I could find a list of records), we've won 9 or more games 6 times. We have a chance to do it this year to make it 7.

Using 1970 as my starting point, we won 9 or more 4 times before Mullen got here... 4 out of 39 years (10.3%). We made a bowl 10 times... 10 out of 39 years (25.6%). Since Mullen got here, we'll have either won 9 or more 3 out of 7 years (42.9%) or 2 out of 7 years (28.6%). Mullen has gotten us in a bowl 6 of 7 years (85.7%).

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the egg bowl, but we better be careful what we wish for...

Odds are better that we win six than nine. People should be much more concerned with Dan's attitude than our history.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 08:44 AM
If yall are happy with beating up on directional schools, Kentucky, and whichever west team is down then have at it.

This has been my thinking for 4 damn seasons now. If we can't muster any better with DAK PRESCOTT then what the **** are we doing.

Y'all do realize we have achieved the BARE MINIMUM based upon the talent on the field. We don't even ****ing compete against Bama and Ole Miss anymore.

And the longer our cigar boys take the little brother approach.... And the longer our compliance takes the little brother approach.... And as long as our President and AD take the little brother apporach this is what we will be relegated to. Season's and fanbases all hinge on the HOPE for championships. Just give me a damn SHOT at it. Stars may not align but shit we settle for KNOWING we cannot compete with the best sue to OUR OWN DECISIONS!!! You cannot expect the money and support to continue unless there is an ACTIVE goal of winning championships!

In this way I don't blame Mullen for wanting out. Seeing Ole Miss go all out he must be furious at the way we handcuff ourselves. Now if he is a willing accomplice in that then the point is mute but shit if I was coaching and Bracky and the sorority girl cigars kept this up I'd want out too

Dawgtini
11-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Odds are better that we win six than nine. People should be much more concerned with Dan's attitude than our history.
Dan's "attitude" is a construct of y'all imagination. I will support our coach and players when the coach changes, I will support our coach and players.

GreenheadDawg
11-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Dan's "attitude" is a construct of y'all imagination. I will support our coach and players when the coach changes, I will support our coach and players.

Go watch Dan laughing after they recover the inside and tell me that it's a construct of the imagination. You're a good little puppy... That's right... Fall right in line to jump on Mullen's dick you've got a little bit of a wait

thf24
11-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Think someone could use a break... /\/\/\

TrapGame
11-30-2015, 08:59 AM
In this way I don't blame Mullen for wanting out. Seeing Ole Miss go all out he must be furious at the way we handcuff ourselves. Now if he is a willing accomplice in that then the point is mute but shit if I was coaching and Bracky and the sorority girl cigars kept this up I'd want out too

I wonder if someone inside the NCAA has told Dan that the bears will be getting off with a slap on the wrist. He sees what has to be done to compete in the West but the knuckle heads in the university still think it's 1985.

If Dan wants to leave b/c of Keenum's, Stricklin's and Bracky's moral hard-on then I really can't blame him.

smootness
11-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Go watch Dan laughing after they recover the inside and tell me that it's a construct of the imagination. You're a good little puppy... That's right... Fall right in line to jump on Mullen's dick you've got a little bit of a wait

People are blowing that up way too much. I understand that when fans are ticked and they see a momentary glimpse of a coach or player who does not appear to also be ticked, they get even more angry and assume that player or coach doesn't care as much as they do...but that's logically pretty insane.

Do our fans honestly believe Mullen didn't care about that game, or that he thought the onside kick was hilarious? It's much more likely that laugh indicated a realization of the absurdity of the play than it did Mullen's lack of investment.

To be honest, any fan who legitimately believes they themselves care but the players or coaches don't is a fan I don't pay attention to. I guarantee you Mullen knows that one more loss to Ole Miss and he will be on thin ice. I also guarantee you he cared a great deal about that game, probably more than any of us. Because it's crazy to think otherwise.

was21
11-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Interesting...didn't know anybody was trying to "run him off."

smootness
11-30-2015, 09:03 AM

Then you haven't read much of this board.

cheat2win
11-30-2015, 09:09 AM

You've got to be kidding me, I laughed when that happened too, it was that kind of night. Yall get so damn butt hurt when we lose to Ole Miss you forget the rest of the year. Sorry you are so self conscious about 1 game that you are upset about an 8-4 regular season. New TV money dose not fix everything, guess what, every other school gets that money as well. This is still a hard job, Dan has done it as well if not better then any one else who has ever been here. We lost to Ole Miss, suck it up and move on.

bulldogcountry1
11-30-2015, 09:09 AM
I didn't see anything Saturday to make me think that winning a bowl game is likely. We sure aren't going to win signing day.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Then you haven't read much of this board.

I think the proper reflection of the board sentiment was more like this: "You want to leave Dan?! Well pack your shit tonight and gtfo."

LC Dawg
11-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Mullen knows what is being said right now. If he stays I want to see some passion out of him. I want to hear him address the fact that we aren't even competitive against our rivals and hear him say that he is going to do everything in his power to rectify that problem.
When we beat Auburn last year Mullen got real emotional on the sideline. I don't remember seeing much emotion, good or bad, out of him since then. I think he proved he could reach #1 at Mississippi State and he feels like that is enough.
To be honest I think Ole Miss is in danger of this happening with Freeze. He also makes $4M and they are about to go to consecutive NY6 bowls and he knows he can't keep that up and he knows he can't win the West.
I think when you start paying coaches what they are making in the SEC you risk them becoming complacent quicker than past years. Most coaches aren't going to have the drive and determination to keep pushing their entire career like they do when they are first proving themselves. Especially if they have $10M in the bank.

Dawgface
11-30-2015, 09:13 AM

No one that has any say in the matter. Our administration won't run off a coach winning 8 maybe even 9 games.

RougeDawg
11-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Dan used to have fire and a want to win no matter what. I'm sorry that some of you cannot see that his fire started burning out with his latest contract and Strick giving him basically everything he asked for. He had held the upper hand in our ATheltic department for at least 3 seasons and in that same time his fire has burned out. I couldn't tell if we had won or lost in the post game presser. Prior to being crowned king of out AD and prior to reaching #1, you could tell W/L in the presser based on his demeanor. He hasn't really given a shit about losing games the last few years because he, himself has won personally. I want a coach that is pissed off when he loses, what 2009-2002 Dan used to be. Not present day "fat cat" Dan.

Then you add on the fact that his imagination with the offense has also burned out in that time frame, and you see why most of us without blinders see that he has run his course at MSU. Sometimes to be successful you have to self motivate. There are no motivating factors for him and I've yet to see any self motivation fromb#1 last year.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I am a little confused about the lack of emotion criticism. I can understand the not beating your biggest rivals, not recruiting well, having bad assistants...but no emotion? He was very emotional after a win just a week prior against Arkansas.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Yall get so damn butt hurt when we lose to Ole Miss you forget the rest of the year..

You mean ****ing up the clock vs LSU and playing Shumpert and not running Dak.

You mean allowing a BAD Aggie team to shut us down

You mean getting steamrolled by Bama 9 SACKS

Yes let's revel in beating up a bunch of cupcakes and getting lucky in Fayetteville!!!

2012 all over again. Soft weak shit

smootness
11-30-2015, 09:21 AM
I think the proper reflection of the board sentiment was more like this: "You want to leave Dan?! Well pack your shit tonight and gtfo."

Uh...ok. That is indeed 'running him off.' Regardless of the reasoning behind it, many now seem to want to run him off, so...

msstate7
11-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Then hopefully we resemble '13 in '16 with a qb emerging and then make a run again in '17 like in '14

smootness
11-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Yes let's revel in beating up a bunch of cupcakes and getting lucky in Fayetteville!!!

Our OL completely and totally sucked this year. Obviously that's ultimately on Mullen and it has to be fixed, absolutely. But pretending the losses we suffered this year were due to lack of emotion or preparation or whatever else and not at least largely due to certain weaknesses and deficiencies on the field is insane.

cheat2win
11-30-2015, 09:27 AM

There were issues this year, sure, didn't say there weren't. If you really want to run out a guy who is a year removed from getting to #1 and who went 8-4 this year there's nothing any one can say to change your mind. I personally just think it is crazy.
I also view the toned downed rhetoric Dan uses a bit of him maturing as a coach. I'm happy he's stopped using TSUN every time he talks, but I'm sure I'm in the minority there as well.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-30-2015, 09:30 AM
This board would be pumped up about next season and upset at the prospect of Dan leaving if we flipped the Arkansas and Ole Miss losses.

SDDawg
11-30-2015, 09:32 AM
This board would be pumped up about next season and upset at the prospect of Dan leaving if we flipped the Arkansas and Ole Miss losses.

Correct. No excuse to lose the Egg at home in my opinion. Put the MF countdown clock back up.

cheat2win
11-30-2015, 09:33 AM

This. This. This. This.

Bubb Rubb

It's still my sentiment. I don't care how many games we've won. If what you saw the last two times you visited Davis Wade is acceptable to you, then you're part of the problem. "Bbbbbut, it was Alabama and Ole Miss...they are better than us!" I don't want to hear that crap. We weren't even competitive. Nor were we competitive in the Egg Bowl last year. I don't see how anyone can be okay with that. People talk about him changing, or bringing in new coaches or whatever...he's not changing. He's a known quantity at this point. I'm not advocating firing him but I do wish he would take his ball and go somewhere else, because this is beyond fixing at this point. Recruiting is going to be ugly this go-round.

Eric Nies Grind Time
Ole Miss and Alabama were just better teams than us this season. The LSU and A&M games were much worse.

War Machine Dawg
11-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Exactly right. Rising tide of the SEC has lifted all boats. We aren't losing regularly to shitty OOC schools like we did way back in the day. Sure, one may jump up and bite us on occasion, but the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" in college football has only gotten wider.

War Machine Dawg
11-30-2015, 09:41 AM

http://i.imgur.com/cuCPKY3.gif

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 09:51 AM
This board would be pumped up about next season and upset at the prospect of Dan leaving if we beat Arkansas and actually competed against Ole Miss.

I predicted us to lose, but I didn't see that ass kicking that was about to commence. I'm disappointed in how soft we have become and the lack of discipline in big moments. How many false starts have we had at crucial points in the game or in the red zone?

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Mullen is NOT going to get "run off". That is and has always been silly talk and nothing but message board fodder. He wins 10 games last year and reaches #1 and we win 8 games this year and he gets canned? That's a freaking joke. NOW, I don't like the thought of paying a guy 4 mil/yr, giving him all the facilities and fan support he should ever need and then get the message that he doesn't want to be here. If that's the case I do hope he moves along with whatever po' dunk job he can find but we would be the laughing stock of the country as the king of the delusional fanbases if we somehow "ran off" Mullen after winning 18 games in the past 2 years at lil' ol' MSU.

PMDawg
11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Mullen isn't/wasn't going anywhere. This board gets stupid when we lose a game or 2. 8-4 will get you a statue built at MSU.
I've believed too much BS on these boards in the past and NONE of it was ever true.

+1

PMDawg
11-30-2015, 10:26 AM
This has been my thinking for 4 damn seasons now. If we can't muster any better with DAK PRESCOTT then what the **** are we doing.

Y'all do realize we have achieved the BARE MINIMUM based upon the talent on the field. We don't even ****ing compete against Bama and Ole Miss anymore.

And the longer our cigar boys take the little brother approach.... And the longer our compliance takes the little brother approach.... And as long as our President and AD take the little brother apporach this is what we will be relegated to. Season's and fanbases all hinge on the HOPE for championships. Just give me a damn SHOT at it. Stars may not align but shit we settle for KNOWING we cannot compete with the best sue to OUR OWN DECISIONS!!! You cannot expect the money and support to continue unless there is an ACTIVE goal of winning championships!

Isn't it time for you to start bitching about baseball, Cartman?

Joe Schmedlap
11-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Then hopefully we resemble '13 in '16 with a qb emerging and then make a run again in '17 like in '14

Exactly! 2017 should be a great year for the maroon and white Bulldogs. I had hoped for 9 wins this year and 9 were achievable this year, but 8-4 was more likely in my opinion. Offensive line or the lack of one was a problem all season long. That is a shame and grounds for Hevesey's dismissal or demotion, but none of us can fix that. Only Dan can. We have the talent in place to be a dark horse candidate in 2017. I think we go 6-6 to 7-5 in 2016 in an obvious rebuilding year. Not good, but certainly not Croomesque either.

By the way, I agree with everyone that our recruiting is not a bright spot under the Mullen regime, but I'm not so sure that it is Stricklin, Brett, and Keenum holding Dan back with restrictions. I'm thinking Dan possibly never wanted to activate a so called network for fear of tainting his reputation as a new head coach. Perhaps now he will loosen up a bit given the blatant cheating occurring elsewhere with no evidence of serious repercussions.

NCDawg
11-30-2015, 12:25 PM

I agree with this. Laughing after they recover the onsides kick? WTF? Tells me he needs to go.

DanDority
11-30-2015, 12:57 PM

.You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Blackout again.

Johnson85
11-30-2015, 01:32 PM

Not that I disagree with your main point, but you can't compare winning 9 games with a 12 game schedule where every bowl eligible team in the SEC gets a bowl game to winning 9 games with an 11 game schedule and 7 win teams potentially getting left out.