PDA

View Full Version : Duped!

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Not by the media and certainly not by message boards, but by Mullen himself and his actions. Here are the facts of what has happened over the past 3 weeks:

1. Mullen's name has been consistently in the media with reports of him seeking a new job, being in the running for multiple openings and wanting to leave Starkville. This did *NOT* originate on message boards and has been going on since the Bama game.

2. Dan refused to comment on the coaching rumors during Egg Bowl week, a week where the team should have ZERO distractions. The players read the same social media reports that we do, there is absolutely NO WAY that they did not know about this and have it in the back of their mind going into yesterday's game. "I love the job I have" is not that response: a joint statement from him and Stricklin that he's 100% committed to the current MSU contract is the appropriate response if he's not job shopping (he was!).

3. Dan's attitude after the game last night: zero accountability mixed with righteous indignation. He looked like a man who gave ZERO FVCKS, because he didn't. I'm convinced that he thought he'd have a new job by Tuesday and things fell through at the last minute. I hope he does some serious soul searching if he stays, but his recruiting, his staff and his approach to big games (Bama, Ole Miss, LSU) is simply not acceptable in the SEC West. You can't compete for championships by winning against cupcakes and mopping up in garbage time and then shitting the bed in every big game.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we were all duped by Dan. He has some serious work to do to turn this around, this is the low point of his tenure to be sure.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:29 PM
1- Well it's not like the media to stir the pot to get ratings. That never happens. It's not like there are as much as 30 openings and names are being thrown out there.

In a world of "I need to break this story media even if it's just a hunch... even if its just me making it up", we sure follow them blindly.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 10:36 PM
My girlfriend texted me this- and she watched it on TV:

"I dont know the man, but he didnt seem real fazed by the humiliation last night."....I havent seen the TV replay- but lots of opinions thinking he didnt have much fire last night for a rivalry game and Sugar Bowl trip on the line

Coach34
11-29-2015, 10:37 PM
1- Well it's not like the media to stir the pot to get ratings. That never happens. It's not like there are as much as 30 openings and names are being thrown out there.

In a world of "I need to break this story media even if it's just a hunch... even if its just me making it up", we sure follow them blindly.

why Mullen though? Why not Freezus? Bielema? Gundy? Briles? etc??? There is reason Mullen's name was out there for all that- his agent put it out there and that was the story- Mullen wants out of Sville

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 10:39 PM

I agree with that, but there's a simple way to deal with it: a clear and definitive statement. You don't have to be a PR genius: "I'm 100% committed to Mississippi State, I have a multi-year contract and I plan to honor it." That statement 3 days ago would have killed this discussion, look at what Jimbo did yesterday!

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 10:40 PM
My girlfriend texted me this- and she watched it on TV:

"I dont know the man, but he didnt seem real fazed by the humiliation last night."....I havent seen the TV replay- but lots of opinions thinking he didnt have much fire last night for a rivalry game and Sugar Bowl trip on the line

This is spot on and exactly what I don't understand: human beings are very predictable and not that hard to read. That's a man who did not want to be in this job last night. He wanted to be somewhere else - it was BEYOND OBVIOUS to anyone who saw it.

Msujd164
11-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Could be totally unrelated, but I've seen within last few minutes a couple of players tweet about "can't trust anyone anymore"

smootness
11-29-2015, 10:43 PM
This is spot on and exactly what I don't understand: human beings are very predictable and not that hard to read. That's a man who did not want to be in this job last night. He wanted to be somewhere else - it was BEYOND OBVIOUS to anyone who saw it.

Please.

Bothrops
11-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Oh boy..recruiting is really gonna suck now. Dan has ****ed it up good now.

starkvegasdawg
11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Oh boy..recruiting is really gonna suck now. Dan has ****ed it up good now.

Yep. We might lose that 12th ranked class in the SEC.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
why Mullen though? Why not Freezus? Bielema? Gundy? Briles? etc??? There is reason Mullen's name was out there for all that- his agent put it out there and that was the story- Mullen wants out of Sville

Freeze was talked about. Texas, and LSU. But that's not the point. Dan has produced more producing QBs in the SEC than anybody. He has done, what everybody but a few fans (of MSU no less), more with LESS. He is excelling despite what some fans here think. That's why his name comes up. They know that if he was at a place that recruits at a high level, he would most likely take them to the top.

His agent did... his JOB. That's what he is paid to do. That's never going to change. So long as MSU hires successful coaches, agents will shop them. If we have a problem with that, then we need to hire smallville coaches. You want to play with the big boys, know the game.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:54 PM
I agree with that, but there's a simple way to deal with it: a clear and definitive statement. You don't have to be a PR genius: "I'm 100% committed to Mississippi State, I have a multi-year contract and I plan to honor it." That statement 3 days ago would have killed this discussion, look at what Jimbo did yesterday!

By no stretch of the imagination would the talk stopped. Had he said that, there would have been 10 threads started on this board about "well its a done deal. He says he is stay so he's gone" You know I'm right too.

smootness
11-29-2015, 10:56 PM

He could end the talk forever by saying something as clear and definitive as, 'The only way I'm ever leaving here is in a pine box.'

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:57 PM

I can see him feeling that way. That doesn't mean he does not want his job! He got his butt handed to him.... I wouldn't want to be there either.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 10:57 PM

it's pretty amazing how many people know what dan mullen is thinking or feeling, better than dan himself, over these last couple days.

not just that, but it's "OBVIOUS". and these people actually think theyre right. holy crap. get a grip

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 11:00 PM
By no stretch of the imagination would the talk stopped. Had he said that, there would have been 10 threads started on this board about "well its a done deal. He says he is stay so he's gone" You know I'm right too.

I don't know if I agree. Jimbo killed the LSU talk with one statement yesterday, then LSU AD fell in line (miraculous!) and Miles was carried off the field (he won his damn game tho!). Sometimes it's that simple.

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:02 PM
I don't know if I agree. Jimbo killed the LSU talk with one statement yesterday, then LSU AD fell in line (miraculous!) and Miles was carried off the field (he won his damn game tho!). Sometimes it's that simple.

And sometimes we make assumptions based on things that might be completely unrelated.

SDDawg
I can see him feeling that way. That doesn't mean he does not want his job! He got his butt handed to him.... I wouldn't want to be there either.

Right- we can interpret his motivations in different ways, but I think it's pretty obvious that he didn't want to be here. If that's fleeting or lasting, we'll see.

mstatefan91
Could be totally unrelated, but I've seen within last few minutes a couple of players tweet about "can't trust anyone anymore"

Who? Just curious. Not doubting you (unless you fail to give me some names).

Irondawg
11-29-2015, 11:06 PM
well regardless of the outcome we may have a win-win here (yesterday notwithstanding).

Mullen leaves we get to see if we can get someone to get us over the hump.

Mullen stays he knows he has to prove himself some more to get a big gig so he gets back a little fire in his belly and we're a better team for that.

To me best case is he gets spurned, gets a 17 the world attitude, fires up the recruiting machine to fix some holes. Makes come assistants accountable and gets the funds to go improve a few positions and proples us another 9 win season, wins a big game or two and realizes that MSU is as good a place as any and establishes us as a consistent SEC contender.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 11:07 PM
His agent did... his JOB. That's what he is paid to do. That's never going to change.

Apparently Gundy, Bielema, Petrino, Cutcliffe, Kingsbury, and Pat Fitzgerald need better agents then

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 11:09 PM
Who? Just curious. Not doubting you (unless you fail to give me some names).

Maurice Smitherman is one that tweeted it

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Apparently Gundy, Bielema, Petrino, Cutcliffe, Kingsbury, and Pat Fitzgerald need better agents then

What job would Bielema be up for? Petrino, seriously?

And Gundy? You don't remember the reports a few years ago about how Gundy didn't like the administration and was looking to leave? Man is it terrible for OSU that a coach that 'wanted out' stuck around.

He's at his alma mater and has proven at this point he's not going anywhere. Which is right where Mullen will be if he doesn't leave in the next couple years.

Anyway:
Gundy - alma mater
Kingsbury - alma mater
Fitzgerald - alma mater

The media sees a guy's alma mater as his 'dream job' and is likely to throw his name out for every opening. But the media sees Mississippi State as a place a good coach would be trying to leave. It's not that hard to figure out.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Let me ask this....for those on both sides....those for Dan to stay and those wanting Dan to leave.

It's been argued that he had no fire and didn't seem fazed by getting his ass kicked....but let's assume that he was 100% focused last night and did take the loss hard.

Is this how you want your coach to act and respond if so?

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Let me ask this....for those on both sides....those for Dan to stay and those wanting Dan to leave.

It's been argued that he had no fire and didn't seem fazed by getting his ass kicked....but let's assume that he was 100% focused last night and did take the loss hard.

I really don't care about his facial expressions or press conference answers. If losses continue, it won't matter...and if he keeps winning, it won't matter. Either way, it will be based on results.

sandjunky
11-29-2015, 11:18 PM
It would be nice to see the TV camera pan to him and see him fired up chewing ass as opposed to deer in headlights look

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 11:24 PM

I think it's much ado about nothing and doesn't effect the result of the game. I can't bring myself to watch the replay and was at the game so haven't seen how he acted exactly, but no matter his expressions or reactions I'm sure dan wasn't happy about losing.

chainedup_Dawg
11-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Maurice Smitherman is one that tweeted it

He tends to tweet a lot of things like this and they pretty much always seem to be female related. I have to say, if it's female related, he's right, especially at college age. I'm not saying i know what or who he's talking about but it does fall in lone with other things he's put out there

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 11:26 PM
I really don't care about his facial expressions or press conference answers. If losses continue, it won't matter...and if he keeps winning, it won't matter. Either way, it will be based on results.

The results are shit right now. We had the easiest scheduled we're going to have for the next 3+ years with our best player of all-time, and shit the bed in *EVERY BIG GAME*. It's indisputable. I'm fine with 8 - 4, it's how we got there and the lack of STRAIN when it mattered (his word, but it's appropriate).

I know that I'm a shit disturber on this board right now, but I just feel like we need some fire in this program. If it has to start with the fan base, so be it. Maybe that will light a fire with our coaches and players.