PDA

View Full Version : So after all the hoopla...

Pages : [1] 2

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Mullen busted his ass to try to get the Georgia job- and couldnt
Lord knows what went on with Maryland- but it looks like Durkin there.
Players and everyone thinking he is gone for sure.

But now it seems like he really has nowhere to go except possibly Va, Rutgers, or Syracuse??? Looks like he is going to end up staying cause nobody worth a shit will hire him.

I'll repeat- this was not a ploy to get an extension and money. Mississippi max is 4 years and Mullen already has 3- with an 8 win season, he was going to get the rollover year anyway. Plus- he has bonuses built in that will come into play with wins plus bowl game.

What a shitshow to put the school who has been loyal to you and given you damn near everything that you have asked for. And for that- you get to hang around at least another year and have Freezus kick your ass in recruiting and on the field.

This Is Our Dansbury

Coach007
11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Mullen busted his ass to try to get the Georgia job- and couldnt
Players and everyone thinking he is gone for sure.

But now it seems like he really has nowhere to go except possibly Va, Rutgers, or Syracuse??? Looks like he is going to end up staying cause nobody worth a shit will hire him.

I'll repeat- this was not a ploy to get an extension and money. Mississippi max is 4 years and Mullen already has 3- with an 8 win season, he was going to get the rollover year anyway. Plus- he has bonuses built in that will come into play with wins plus bowl game.

What a shitshow to put the school who has been loyal to you and given you damn near everything that you have asked for. And for that- you get to hang around at least another year and have Freezus kick your ass in recruiting and on the field.

This Is Our Dansbury

Just admit you really didn't know because that's the truth. Players didn't think he was gone... People everywhere didn't think he was gone. Just a few wishful thinking people and a media trying to one up each other for a scoop!

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
LOL.

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm starting to think nobody really knows anything, I wish someone in an executive position would put snuff out the smoke that's rising around the program.

Stricklin needs to nut up and say something!

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Then we should fire him. He doesn't want to be here and he is hurting both of us at this point.

BrunswickDawg
Will Strick get any pressure at all to cut ties because of this? I am sure we don't have a plan B, but when you have a guy trying so hard to get out do you really trust him to be in it 100% now?? This sucks.

Eric Nies Grind Time
No way we would have been able to make a hire that improves on Mullen with the openings that are out there now. Mullen needs to make several staff changes though.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Come on Virginia, pls make a competitive offer. Stricklin and Keenum should make a statement and not give him the usual automatic 1 year extension. That's really all we can do at this point.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Love all of assumptions that Mullen wants out. That's the funniest crap I have seen!

Coach34
Just admit you really didn't know because that's the truth. Players didn't think he was gone... People everywhere didn't think he was gone. Just a few wishful thinking people and a media trying to one up each other for a scoop!

I'll repeat- 2 different players were asked after the game last night if they thought he was gone- both said yes.

Political Hack
The search firms have apparently burnt Mullen for some reason. They think he's an a-hole. I have a feeling it was because of the Miami interest a few years ago the spill out of that, but that's just speculation on my part.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm starting to think nobody really knows anything, I wish someone in an executive position would put snuff out the smoke that's rising around the program.

Stricklin needs to nut up and say something!

Mullen is meeting with the team in the morning- we'll know soon enough

msstate7
11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
If Mullen really did pursue jobs and came up empty, we can deal from a position of strength... Make Mullen upgrade Hevesy. I like manny, but I wish we'd make a run at Pruitt

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:19 PM
Pruitt did alot of undercutting on Richt- with Mullen knowing Georgia's AD well- cant see Dan hiring him

confucius say
11-29-2015, 08:20 PM
I'll repeat- 2 different players were asked after the game last night if they thought he was gone- both said yes.

That surprises you? There have been rumors all week from several different outlets, just like every year at this time

cheewgumm
11-29-2015, 08:22 PM
This is the bet site for Inside info and it's not close.

Thanks for sharing too. I appreciate it.

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Is that just a typical post game meeting? Any ideas?

Liverpooldawg
The rumors started where they always start. Y'all ought to have learned by now.

Coach34
That surprises you? There have been rumors all week from several different outlets, just like every year at this time

Yes it does. There's a difference in hearing Mullen may interview with Miami, Penn State, or whatever- and multiple people saying Mullen wants out of Sville. This is the 1st time its ever been like this. His agent was busting it trying to land him somewhere- that is pretty obvious at this point

Political Hack
11-29-2015, 08:24 PM

There was more to it this season. I think he swung big and struck out

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Is that just a typical post game meeting?

Yes it is- but you have to expect him to address his future at the meeting

shannondawg
11-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Inside info my ass. Speculation , plenty of it.

cheat2win
11-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Damn Coach34 you really had Dan's situation figured out. You nailed it.

EAVdog
I know someone who used to work on Mark Richt's staff. He's no longer with UGA but he's a high level guy where he is. He told me that if McGarrity cans Richt he'd already have Mullen lined up with staff intact before it happened. Said he loved Mullen and no doubt that would be the move. He said all the BS you hear in the media is just that, BS. Any delay would be just about putting a staff together, who to bring who to keep etc...

I don't buy for one second Mullen lobbied for the UGA job and was turned down. I'm sorry I don't believe one word of all that 'hoopla'. If he's gone it's to UGA. If he stays he probably turned UGA down.

ETA. This was a few weeks/month or so ago when we talked.

Lloyd Christmas

It's simple. If he has been shopping his name all over we need to cut ties. Better to take our chance with someone new than stick with someone who doesn't want to be here.

confucius say
Yes it does. There's a difference in hearing Mullen may interview with Miami, Penn State, or whatever- and multiple people saying Mullen wants out of Sville. This is the 1st time its ever been like this. His agent was busting it trying to land him somewhere- that is pretty obvious at this point

Why is that obvious? Bc you had people tell you that? You may be right, i admittedly don't know. Just playing devils advocate. But if mullen really wanted out that badly, don't you think he would be out? There are 5-10 jobs he could have easily.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:30 PM
No speculation at all. Heard 4 weeks ago Mullen was talking to Georgia. This came from a Georgia guy. Now that Richt has been fired after winning 9 games- you can see that that info was probably pretty legit. And it's not a coincidence that multiple people said he was trying to get out- including the face of the SEC Network. You know better than that Grandpa

cheewgumm
11-29-2015, 08:30 PM
I think our fans think Mullen could have jobs easily when that just isn't the case.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Yeaahhhhh....I'm with Liverpooldawg at this point. His "LOL" was right on point.

Remember this nugget of advice: 'All is bullsh*t until proven otherwise'. It will spare you some bad publicity.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-29-2015, 08:31 PM
This Is Our Dansbury

Wow! Losing a head coaching gig to coordinator. And you are an SEC head coach. That should be a little humbling to "Dan The Man." Again, I want the 2009-2010 Dan, but he looks to have overplayed his hand and to be moving in the wrong direction.

Dawgface
11-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Oh well. Maybe as already mentioned, he will be forced to make a couple of upgrades on the staff. Recruiting was already below average this year, none of the current noise will matter come signing day. But hard to be very optimistic going forward.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
I know someone who used to work on Mark Richt's staff. He's no longer with UGA but he's a high level guy where he is. He told me that if McGarrity cans Richt he'd already have Mullen lined up with staff intact before it happened. Said he loved Mullen and no doubt that would be the move. He said all the BS you hear in the media is just that, BS. Any delay would be just about putting a staff together, who to bring who to keep etc...

I don't buy for one second Mullen lobbied for the UGA job and was turned down. I'm sorry I don't believe one word of all that 'hoopla'. If he's gone it's to UGA. If he stays he probably turned UGA down.
I agree.

Liverpooldawg
There was more to it this season. I think he swung big and struck out

My sources say otherwise, as has Dan himself when asked.

Coach34
. But if mullen really wanted out that badly, don't you think he would be out? There are 5-10 jobs he could have easily.

Based on what?

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeaahhhhh....I'm with Liverpooldawg at this point. His "LOL" was right on point.

Remember this nugget of advice: 'All is bullsh*t until proven otherwise'. It will spare you some bad publicity.

You and Liver can LOL all you want- the evidence was out there in the media.....with people talking...and you can damn well bet Mullen didnt turn the damn Georgia job down.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
Pruitt did alot of undercutting on Richt- with Mullen knowing Georgia's AD well- cant see Dan hiring him

When you show your hand and have two off color, non-face cards, you don't make the call anymore.

Todd4State
The search firms have apparently burnt Mullen for some reason. They think he's an a-hole. I have a feeling it was because of the Miami interest a few years ago the spill out of that, but that's just speculation on my part.

Or maybe no one wants to hire him?

Coach007
11-29-2015, 08:38 PM

Mullen also met with coaches to go over film and to set up in home visits!

Today!

Coach007
11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
This is the bet site for Inside info and it's not close.

Thanks for sharing too. I appreciate it.

Lmao!

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:41 PM
You and Liver can LOL all you want- the evidence was out there in the media.....with people talking...and you can damn well bet Mullen didnt turn the damn Georgia job down.
Mullen had Tuberville Syndrome last night.....that much is fact and I agree with you that something is off there. Where there is smoke there is fire.

But there are only a handful of jobs that Mullen would leave us for, and we all know Georgia is one of them. That being said, Mullen is not lobbying to find ANY job. The Maryland stuff was laughable.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 08:43 PM

As I said, the same sources as always for the rumors.

cheewgumm
11-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Lmao!

HA. For the record, I was serious...not sarcasm.

Political Hack
11-29-2015, 08:44 PM
My sources say otherwise, as has Dan himself when asked.

Then your sources aren't very good. There were people saying flat out before the game yesterday "Mullen is gone." When I say people, I mean important people who pay bills and make decisions. They may be wrong. Who knows??? But the tone this time was much, much different than in years past where it was just BS speculation.

And, this isn't over yet. We should all be smart enough to hope it's over, but it's not.

Political Hack
11-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Lmao!

What site you think is better?

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Will Strick get any pressure at all to cut ties because of this? I am sure we don't have a plan B, but when you have a guy trying so hard to get out do you really trust him to be in it 100% now?? This sucks.

Here's how I would handle it if I was Stricklin assuming no one hires Dan first.

I meet with him and ask him if he wants to be here.

If the answer is no- we just tell the media that he is stepping down due to stress basically just like what Florida did with Urban Meyer and that "Dan needs some time off for himself and his family." Then we give him whatever severance package which with that plus whatever he has made over the years should carry him through at least next year unless he has just totally mismanaged his money.

If the answer is yes- I tell him OK, BUT I demand that Hevesy be fired or demoted to the office, Sallach is fired or demoted and replaced by an OC who will call plays and that Dan allow Manny to have complete control of the defense. I also demand that emphasis be placed back on the Egg Bowl as it was circa 2013. Also, no contract extension given. If he does not agree to that, then he will not be allowed to coach our team next year.

HSVDawg
11-29-2015, 08:47 PM
He hasn't been passed over for the Georgia job yet. We'll see how it plays out this week. Will be interesting either way.

EAVdog
11-29-2015, 08:48 PM

I know he was #1 on McGarrity's list.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Mullen also met with coaches to go over film and to set up in home visits!

Today!

Which means nothing in regards to rumors.

GreenheadDawg
11-29-2015, 08:50 PM
The rumors started where they always start. Y'all ought to have learned by now.

I vote for another vaca for Liverpool. Been back 5 minutes and he's already insufferable. Send "coach" with him.

Coursesuper
11-29-2015, 08:51 PM

I have heard the exact same stuff that C34 did but from different sources. To the letter. Although my sources may be a little less forgiving of our current admin.

Dawgface

He's listed high on this list. May not mean anything though.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/leading-candidates-to-replace-richt-at-georgia

Liverpooldawg
There were people saying flat out before the game yesterday "Mullen is gone." When I say people, I mean important people who pay bills and make decisions. They may be wrong. Who knows??? But the tone this time was much, much different than in years past where it was just BS speculation.

And, this isn't over yet. We should all be smart enough to hope it's over, but it's not.

Of course they were. I agree it's not over yet. There is still a long way to go in this cycle. The rumors won't be for sure no matter what. They never will be, not even after Dan is long gone. We never learn.

gtowndawg
I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, but here's what can not be denied.

- rumors for several weeks now that he's leaving
- some players thinks he's leaving
- people at maryland saying he's coming (only for it to fall through)
- Others on twitter saying a bidding war going on between Maryland and Virginia for Mullen (not Ole Miss people, just search twitter and you will see tweets all over the country about it)
- Finebaum, who as spoken of us very well over the past two years by the way, so it's not just State bashing, said he wants out
- we are unprepared last night and to my eye the game was mailed in

Something was/is going on and the only person that can salvage this mess right now is Dan and his ego. Make staff changes, give some money back for assistants, whatever. But do something that shows me (as a Bulldog Club member and season ticket holder) that you want to be at State. Otherwise I feel like I'm married to someone that doesn't really want to be in the marriage (but still wants me to pay all the bills and provide nice things).

Political Hack
11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Here's how I would handle it if I was Stricklin assuming no one hires Dan first.

If the answer is no- we just tell the media that he is stepping down due to stress basically just like what Florida did with Urban Meyer and that "Dan needs some time off for himself and his family." Then we give him whatever severance package which with that plus whatever he has made over the years should carry him through at least next year unless he has just totally mismanaged his money.

If the answer is yes- I tell him OK, BUT I demand that Hevesy be fired or demoted to the office, Sallach is fired or demoted and replaced by an OC who will call plays and that Dan allow Manny to have complete control of the defense. I also demand that emphasis be placed back on the Egg Bowl as it was circa 2013. Also, no contract extension given. If he does not agree to that, then he will not be allowed to coach our team next year.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of those ideas, but the last thing I want is Stricklin micromanaging our football team.

bulldawg28
All coaches meet with players the Monday after the last game, it's always been this way. Coach, your stirring the pot and looking pretty crazy.

Coach34

Are you sure the decision was all McGarrity's???

yjnkdawg
11-29-2015, 08:53 PM
A staff memeber for 247 on the UGA site reported earlier today that Tom Herman was very much interested in the job and also Smart and Mullen were being considered.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 08:53 PM
No speculation at all. Heard 4 weeks ago Mullen was talking to Georgia. This came from a Georgia guy. Now that Richt has been fired after winning 9 games- you can see that that info was probably pretty legit. And it's not a coincidence that multiple people said he was trying to get out- including the face of the SEC Network. You know better than that Grandpa

Because Right, who was on the hot seat for 2 years, is canned that is proof that it's legit! That's unbelievable!

The face of the SEC network said he was trying to get out? Lmao! God bless.. You had to actually read this to even began to halfway believe this stuff actually exists.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Todd, when has that ever worked in coaching? I mean forcing the head coach to make that many changes without him believing that is what needs to take place. Forced changes never work. Never. Not saying he doesn't believe in any or all of that needs to be done, because I don't know. But if he doesn't, then you either work with him with how he sees the changes need to be made or you go in another direction. You can't force it, it never works out.

Coach34
I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, but here's what can not be denied.

- rumors for several weeks now that he's leaving
- some players thinks he's leaving
- people at maryland saying he's coming (only for it to fall through)
- Others on twitter saying a bidding war going on between Maryland and Virginia for Mullen (not Ole Miss people, just search twitter and you will see tweets all over the country practically about it)
- Finebaum, who as spoken of us very well over the past two years by the way, so it's not just State bashing, said he wants out
- we are unprepared last night and to my eye the game was mailed in

Something was/is going on and the only person that can salvage this mess right now is Dan and his ego. Make staff changes, give some money back for assistants, whatever. But do something that shows me (as a Bulldog Club member and season ticket holder) that you want to be at State otherwise I feel like I'm married to someone that doesn't really want to be in the marriage (but still wants me to pay all the bills and provide nice things)

At least one person is paying attention

GreenheadDawg
All coaches meet with players the Monday Ayer the last game, it's always been this way. Coach, your stirring the pot and making yourself look foolish.

Yeh but he's par for the course. He just generally talks out of his ass

bulldawg28
11-29-2015, 08:55 PM
What site you think is better?

Sectalk.com

CJDAWG85
Spoke with a player today and asked if he was gone... He said "No... Not that I know of..."

OurState

If you watch this year's press conference and compare it to last year's there was a big difference. It looked to me like Dan had checked out after this game and didn't mind showing us....

Based on that alone I am inclined to believe you.

Lots of smoke.

And for all the talk about tons of jobs out there, very few could pay what Dan would expect. Of those I think only 1-2 really fit (Ga and Miami). Miami apparently is a no go so it's sort of Ga or try to make UVa or Maryland work and neither of those schools really have the talent base Dan needs. That's my view.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with any of those ideas, but the last thing I want is Stricklin micromanaging our football team.

I agree with you about Stricklin, but unfortunately I don't see a better option. I would be fine with Dan choosing the assistants to replace Hevesy and Sallach though.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 08:57 PM

And there is "evidence" in the minds of some that the Bush family is from another planet, an alien race!

War Machine Dawg
11-29-2015, 08:58 PM

This is EXACTLY what needs to happen.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 08:59 PM
I vote for another vaca for Liverpool. Been back 5 minutes and he's already insufferable. Send "coach" with him.

I bring a different view point. If that's not welcome then fine. My take on football (not Mullen) has always been that we need stability at a base level of winning for an extended period of time to ever rise above what have always been. So far Mullen has done that and even exceeded it to a degree. I don't want to risk throwing that away. I'm not alone in this viewpoint. I may be one of the more vocal internet voices for this view, I do understand that.

Political Hack
11-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Sectalk.com

Lol. Nice. Please share any nuggets of gold you get perusing their board.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 09:00 PM

if true- and McGarrity is making the decision- then Mullen to Georgia.

And this guy will be wrong- https://twitter.com/UGAinsider/status/671021156661510145

Todd4State
Todd, when has that ever worked in coaching? I mean forcing the head coach to make that many changes without him believing that is what needs to take place. Forced changes never work. Never. Not saying he doesn't believe in any or all of that needs to be done, because I don't know. But if he doesn't, then you either work with him with how he sees the changes need to be made or you go in another direction. You can't force it, it never works out.

It's certainly not ideal. I don't disagree with that. But I also think it's more than fair given what Dan has done here. The other option is to just outright fire him. Having a coach that does not want to be here is only going to be toxic and keeping him around is going to hurt us the longer he is around until we go back into dumpster fire mode again and then have to rebuild again.

I feel like we have to do SOMETHING if Dan doesn't find something first. We have to protect MSU and our best interests first regardless of what the coach has done in the past.

War Machine Dawg

+1

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:01 PM
And there is "evidence" in the minds of some that the Bush family is from another planet, an alien race!

Did they land at the Denver airport by chance?

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Legit LOL.

This is the real world, son. If it comes to this, he should be fired. Remember how Byrne handled Croom? THAT is how it's done, none of this nonsense like "Do this or ELSE!".

That psychobabble you just listed is spineless and weak.

BrunswickDawg
11-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Are you sure the decision was all McGarrity's???
No way in hell it is. UGA pres, Dooley, a couple of board of regents members, a couple of cigar boys, and probably a couple of legislators. And that's the short list. The last time a major decision like this went down without that group was when Adams fired Dooley as AD - shit storm got so bad the donors formed their own foundation and quit giving until Adams was pushed out. No way McGarity is in control - and if he bucks it he'll be gone.

dawg27
11-29-2015, 09:02 PM

Whos the two players

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:03 PM
I bring a different view point. If that's not welcome then fine. My take on football (not Mullen) has always been that we need stability at a base level of winning for an extended period of time to ever rise above what have always been. So far Mullen has done that and even exceeded it to a degree. I don't want to risk throwing that away. I'm not alone in this viewpoint. I may be one of the more vocal internet voices for this view, I do understand that.

How stable are we if the coach doesn't want to be here? It's his choice in this case. Not necessarily MSU's.

If someone doesn't want to be at MSU, we need to let them leave for their sake and ours.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Whos the two players

23 and 88

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Legit LOL.

This is the real world, son. If it comes to this, he should be fired. Remember how Byrne handled Croom? THAT is how it's done, none of this nonsense like "Do this or ELSE!".

That psychobabble you just listed is spineless and weak.

The reality is if Dan doesn't find something and we do have to get rid of him- we have to handle it with kid gloves. Either way I doubt Dan would agree to option two where he stays- although no that's not necessarily meant for him to fail.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:06 PM

Yep.

basedog
11-29-2015, 09:07 PM

They must read ED.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 09:10 PM
They must read ED.

I certainly hope so

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:12 PM
The reality is if Dan doesn't find something and we do have to get rid of him- we have to handle it with kid gloves. Either way I doubt Dan would agree to option two where he stays- although no that's not necessarily meant for him to fail.

Where this program, with it's history, is right now if there is even a WIFF of Mullen being forced out or being forced to make changes we will have a very hard time making a good hire for several years, or longer. The way some of us perceive this year and last year is NOT the way it is seen by most of the country. It would be worse than after Allyn McKeen.

PassInterference
23 and 88

Seeing 88 at the dog walk was one of the most fun things I saw all day. He was feelin it.

He's gotta be a fun guy to hang out with.

t45fixer
Wow

HSVDawg

Stricklin doesn't have to do those things specifically. Could just ask Dan to present his plan for how he wants to shake things up. The key thing in all of this is that Stricklin needs to grow some balls and make sure Dan is fully aware that the type of shit we saw last night is unacceptable, even moreso with him courting multiple other programs. The fact that some shake-up is needed must be communicated.

Another thing I'd like to see is for all contract raises and extensions to be moved up and targeted for completion by Nov. 1st each year. If negotiations extend into the 2nd or 3rd week of November that is manageable, but there should be a hard deadline of the Friday before Thanksgiving. If a deal isn't done by that time, then too bad for Mullen. He doesn't get extended. That is one thing we can do to combat the constant speculation each year. Other schools do in-season raises / extensions all the time, and it seems to work out OK. We'll know pretty well by early November whether an extension or raise is warranted.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Where this program, with it's history, is right now if there is even a WIFF of Mullen being forced out or being forced to make changes we will have a very hard time making a good hire for several years, or longer. The way some of us perceive this year and last year is NOT the way it is seen by most of the country. It would be worse than after Allyn McKeen.

It is a very interesting dichotomy that "everyone" thinks Mullen is so great for what he's done at State but nobody wants to actually hire him.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 09:14 PM
It's certainly not ideal. I don't disagree with that. But I also think it's more than fair given what Dan has done here. The other option is to just outright fire him. Having a coach that does not want to be here is only going to be toxic and keeping him around is going to hurt us the longer he is around until we go back into dumpster fire mode again and then have to rebuild again.

I feel like we have to do SOMETHING if Dan doesn't find something first. We have to protect MSU and our best interests first regardless of what the coach has done in the past.

Well when they talk and you have suggestions that he does not agree with, you either find out what his vision for the staff is and if it's still a workable environment between you both. If not, you part ways. It just won't work if you both are not at least seeing things in a similar fashion. And that includes the program as a whole. I will say this, if you part with your coach who just won national coach of the year the prior year and still turns in an 8 win season without outside turmoil causing you to have to make a change, you better have a strong candidate already on board. If not you will end up stomping on your pecker.

confucius say
11-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Based on what?

Va, Syracuse, Maryland, prob vt, prob mizzou, all of the openings that are about to come when Georgia, USCw, etc are filled. You disagree mullen could have those jobs of he really wanted them?

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 09:15 PM

Yes, yes , yes. I would also add that he needs to pick it up in recruiting, only issue there is it's so subjective. I would also let him know that I'd be talking to Keenum and trying my damnedest to relieve Bracky of his duties.

DoctorDawg
11-29-2015, 09:15 PM
What it all boils down to, is that nobody outside of Dan Mullen knows JACKSH*T. It is the "same" every year. No matter how connected you think you are, or what source you have, you are just swinging hoping for a homerun.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 09:16 PM
OR

We could do the right thing - which is let him continue building his own program, his own way. That's why he gets paid.

mstatefan91
11-29-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry but this really sounds like someone saving face. Maybe it's not but that is certainly how it comes across.

At least I hope that's what's happening cause we are royally f*cked if it is true.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:18 PM
How stable are we if the coach doesn't want to be here? It's his choice in this case. Not necessarily MSU's.

If someone doesn't want to be at MSU, we need to let them leave for their sake and ours.

He is still winning Todd. You can't even give the appearance of forcing out someone who has done what Mullen has done HERE as long as that is the case, not yet. Our program hasn't reached that stage of prestige. I have no personal idea if he wants out or not. As long as he hasn't left then we have to treat him as if he wants to be here as long as he is here. If he wants to leave then letting him leave has nothing to do with it. He will leave. This ain't ISIS or the Mafia.

Bulldogbeing
11-29-2015, 09:18 PM
You just said in another thread he was 100% gone. What changed?

shannondawg
11-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Isn'r it natural if Dan and the Ga. AD have a close relationship that it might have been some conversation. But I don't bet, and would have bet the farm that those guys in Athens would have exploded hiring or seriously considering a coach with no better win loss than Dan's. I really don't know if they have a close relationship or not, I think I just saw that on here somewhere,.

Anyway, I think its all rumor started by you know who.

We will know shortly. 2 players , please give me a break

Now on to basketball, has anybody heard that Shaefer and Howland are working on a package deal to get out of Vegas? Just kidding , just kidding.JUST KIDDING!

Coach34
Seeing 88 at the dog walk was one of the most fun things I saw all day. He was feelin it.

He's gotta be a fun guy to hang out with.

He played his ass off too last night

Todd4State
Well when they talk and you have suggestions that he does not agree with, you either find out what his vision for the staff is and if it's still a workable environment between you both. If not, you part ways. It just won't work if you both are not at least seeing things in a similar fashion. And that includes the program as a whole. I will say this, if you part with your coach who just won national coach of the year the prior year and still turns in an 8 win season without outside turmoil causing you to have to make a change, you better have a strong candidate already on board. If not you will end up stomping on your pecker.

I agree- but I would rather have a guy who is not a strong candidate that WANTS to be here than Dan who doesn't. Bottom line is it's just not a good situation for us to be in right now and I hope it works itself out.

coastdoglover
11-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Wow

The fact of the matter is simple. Had we gone 8-4?and beat the rebs none of this would even be discussed. I have no idea whether Dan wants to leave or not but what folks better be worried about is whom woukd be hired if did leave. After the Rick Ray fiasco you folks better be careful what you wish for . We have a lot of good players returning and it won't matter who we hire if we don't upgrade recruiting because the Bears are going to continue to cheat like hell until the NCAA stops them and so far that hasn't happened.

gtowndawg
11-29-2015, 09:21 PM
if Dan strike's out and he's still here in a couple of weeks, Scott has to do something to show Dan we won't allow the the tail to wag the dog. I really think this can be worked out, I really do, but we have to put our foot down (properly and gracefully) and make it known that this ends here.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 09:23 PM
It is the "same" every year.

Its never been like this before- so no- its not the "same" every year

Mjoelner34
11-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Now on to basketball, has anybody heard that Shaefer and Howland are working on a package deal to get out of Vegas?

I don't know who could replace Howland but we should go after Freeze to replace Schaefer. **

Coach007
11-29-2015, 09:24 PM
It is a very interesting dichotomy that "everyone" thinks Mullen is so great for what he's done at State but nobody wants to actually hire him.

You don't know that. He's been approached alot. We have always raised the amount. Again, just amazed at the pure speculation of people. Hey... Here you go.... Each year the media tells us he is leaving and is on the short list.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:25 PM
He is still winning Todd. You can't even give the appearance of forcing out someone who has done what Mullen has done HERE as long as that is the case, not yet. Our program hasn't reached that stage of prestige. I have no personal idea if he wants out or not. As long as he hasn't left then we have to treat him as if he wants to be here as long as he is here. If he wants to leave then letting him leave has nothing to do with it. He will leave. This ain't ISIS or the Mafia.

Who did he beat this year? USM, La Tech, Auburn and Arkansas? Two C-USA teams and mainly teams that are barely bowl eligible in the SEC.

We should not be held hostage by a coach who has accomplished things in the past who does not want to be here. Period. We've screwed that up how many times before in the past- and it only digs us into a deeper hole and a bigger rebuilding job while costing us more time and money. If this doesn't fix itself, then we need to fix it ourselves.

And if we have to fire Dan, we just need to come out with the "he was stressed out and needs time to himself and family" excuse.

ClawjoDawg
11-29-2015, 09:26 PM
You just said in another thread he was 100% gone. What changed?

Oh yeah, that's right. Very humorous!

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 09:26 PM
He played his ass off too last night

Hell yeah he did, loved his fire! One play when he got tweeked he was brushing the trainer trying to help him away, one of the only good things I saw last night. Nick was ready to eat, to bad the rest of the team wasn't as jacked up as him.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Who did he beat this year? USM, La Tech, Auburn and Arkansas? Two C-USA teams and mainly teams that are barely bowl eligible in the SEC.

We should not be held hostage by a coach who has accomplished things in the past who does not want to be here. Period. We've screwed that up how many times before in the past- and it only digs us into a deeper hole and a bigger rebuilding job while costing us more time and money. If this doesn't fix itself, then we need to fix it ourselves.

And if we have to fire Dan, we just need to come out with the "he was stressed out and needs time to himself and family" excuse.

I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how we expect a coach who let it be known that he was actively trying to "get out of Starkville" to recruit if he stays. This isn't just message board banter -- these reports came from legitimate media saying "I know for a fact that Mullen is trying to get out." This is a huge difference between "interested in x job" and what was reported by Feldman and others THIS YEAR. How do you come back from that? Do you really think Freeze and the other SEC coaches aren't using that against him?

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:29 PM

The thing is Todd, for most of our history we didn't consistently beat those teams. We do now. That is what the coaching world sees. It's what we should see This program has just had it's best multi year stretch since the 1940s.

msumudcat

Coach I don't know you (or I might:)). I know I don't have thousands of posts on here but dude...grow a pair, we are free to post our thoughts. Your condescension to those of us who think differently and hear differently is annoying. Merry Christmas, shitters full.

confucius say
OR

We could do the right thing - which is let him continue building his own program, his own way. That's why he gets paid.

He has earned another year for sure, at the absolute least. The problem is, like I and many on here said 3 months ago, this was an 8-4 team. Many on here thought we would be 10-2 bc "we always have good running backs" and "our scheme allows us to just plug and play ol." Ridiculous. Our ol sucks and was exposed again last night. Couple that with two turnovers that resulted in 14 points and we lost by 11. It's a damn minor miracle we scored 27 with that garbage ol, specifically the tackle play.

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 09:30 PM

Hmm....what was the "Georgia Insider's" profession? Ex-middle school football coach? Football fan? Internet personality? Ridley Scott?

Also, using Finebaum as some type of "corroborator", isn't just a little weak, it's super weak. He can't be full of shit one day, and a legitimate source the next.

bluelightstar

I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how we expect a coach who let it be known that he was actively trying to "get out of Starkville" to recruit if he stays. This isn't just message board banter -- these reports came from legitimate media saying "I know for a fact that Mullen is trying to get out." This is a huge difference between "interested in x job" and what was reported by Feldman and others THIS YEAR. How do you come back from that? Do you really think Freeze and the other SEC coaches aren't using that against him?

Really Clark?
I agree- but I would rather have a guy who is not a strong candidate that WANTS to be here than Dan who doesn't. Bottom line is it's just not a good situation for us to be in right now and I hope it works itself out.

A weak candidate who wants to be here is good for what 4-6 wins a year? Maybe 7 in a good year? Like Stoops at Kentucky in the weak east. It has to be a good fit. Honestly I rather win 7-9 with a coach with one foot out the door so we are set up for a smooth transition.

basedog
11-29-2015, 09:32 PM
One thing for sure 34, u have a out either way, no one wants him now. If someone want out, he damn sure better have a plan as IF he does want out he must have the dumbest agent in the biz! Wherever the rumor started him wanted out, if Mullen let that out of the bag then he is the next dumbest! One usually has a plan not a dream when making 4.3 million.

I have no doubt someone told u he was looking 34, but so far it's bad whoever started it even if Mullen told so and so and so and so told so and so and so and so told..... I'd fire my agent tomorrow.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Coach I don't know you (or I might:)). I know I don't have thousands of posts on here but dude...grow a pair, we are free to post our thoughts. Your condescension to those of us who think differently and hear differently is annoying. Merry Christmas, shitters full.

Opinion is one thing.... This is another. Understand, I don't wear my feelings on my shirt. So.....

Coach007
11-29-2015, 09:35 PM

Please consider that source!

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-29-2015, 09:36 PM
So is there any chance we get Rob Sale from UGA to replace Hev?

Cowboydawg
11-29-2015, 09:38 PM
What it all boils down to, is that nobody outside of Dan Mullen knows JACKSH*T. It is the "same" every year. No matter how connected you think you are, or what source you have, you are just swinging hoping for a homerun.

Exactly. In a thread filled with speculation and rumors....fact is the only person that truly knows is Mullen.

Just because Mullen's agent reached out to a few schools does not mean "he wants out". This is common practice and Mullen would be crazy not to explore his options right now.

I love my job and I'm not looking to "to get out" but I listen to recruiters that reach out to me. It would be foolish not to. It's a career and you have to think about what's best for your family. For those saying we were unprepared and Mullen looked like he had checked out during and after the game(which I agree with)... Maybe he has been in talks with Maryland and they made an unbelievable offer. That is a huge distraction and can eat you up inside, cause lack of sleep/focus if you have ever been put In that situation. It's part of the business and if that's what happened he shouldn't have let it affect the game...but it's tough. Still doesn't mean he "wants out".

He may leave but I'm not buying that he wants out. He's doing what any smart coach would do. The grass isn't always greener and it's very likely he will come to that decision on his own. We will see.

Todd4State
The thing is Todd, for most of our history we didn't consistently beat those teams. We do now. That is what the coaching world sees. It's what we should see This program has just had it's best multi year stretch since the 1940s.

Overall Dan did a good job. But now he wants to leave. We need to let him go. That doesn't mean he gets to stay as long as he can- because he's not going to magically start caring again anytime soon- which will eventually get us right back where we were. So we need to cut the cord now.

Coach34
Hmm....what was the "Georgia Insider's" profession? Ex-middle school football coach? Football fan? Internet personality? Ridley Scott?.

Orthopedic Surgeon

Bucky Dog
11-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Have none of you EVER gotten to a point in your job where you were bored, fed up, or whatever and started looking for other jobs, or even interviewing to test the waters? And when you start looking or interviewing you realize that either, "hey, it's not so bad where I'm at", or "people don't want me like I thought they would" and you stay where you are at. I don't see Dan hating MSU and I saw the emotion and love in the locker room after the Arky game last week. As any of us would do if we are successful at our jobs and there are other openings, we would probably see what is out there and how much they would be willing to pay me to get me away from a place that I like. It's business. I like what Mullen has done I hope he stays, but this has been a big brain fart either from him, his agent, our admins, this website and others that will work itself out one way or another.

Maybe it's just a case of the guy getting married to a good girl and she isn't giving him the sex and love from when they first got married and he thinks he can do better than her. So he starts scoping out the local bars and figures what he is looking for, is not what he is looking for!

I have sat back and watched all of the shit on here today and truly hope and think there is just a lot of anger from losing to the Rebs, and cooler heads will prevail. We cannot compare ourselves to them directly, but I get that we do that to make ourselves better. Just for comparison sake with the Rebs: this was THEIR year. Their best roster ever and rtheir best chance to win it all and they did not. We were number 1 last year and were one game away from playing in the playoffs. The Rebs will lose a lot and are staring 6-6 in the face next year with that schedule of theirs, maybe 7-5. I'm expecting the same from us, with outside chance at 8-4.

So, let's make some staff changes or tweaks and get stronger in recruiting, but doing it the right way and continue to develop players like we have. Hail State!

confucius say

Your entire point of view is predicated on the fact that dan doesn't want to be here anymore. If that is indeed the case, he will be gone and you won't have to worry about it, bc there are several jobs open that he can easily have. They may not be premier jobs, but they are decent jobs, and jobs one would take if one wanted out badly.

My guess is dan would leave for the right, premier job. And I would not blame him for that.

Leroy Jenkins
I cant believe I just read 5 pages of this shit. FVCK ME IM STOOPID.

Im out.

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/43a13b6311a2c01f7f13dc87ad2ad687702cc09851905aba72 c282be32c52d8a_large

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:43 PM

What legitimate media was that? Feldman is connected at the hip to the Rebels I believe. Didn't he write a book on their recruiting back when Freeze was assistant?

Bucky Dog
11-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Hmm....what was the "Georgia Insider's" profession? Ex-middle school football coach? Football fan? Internet personality? Ridley Scott?

Also, using Finebaum as some type of "corroborator", isn't just a little weak, it's super weak. He can't be full of shit one day, and a legitimate source the next.

Finebaum just said this morning that the ONLY way Mark Richt is not coaching at GA next year is if HE decides he wants to take a step back and start doing something else. No way Georgia is going to fire him and he expects him to be the coach next year at Georgia. One hour later he was fired, so Finebaum to me has no credibility on anything I have heard him say.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:44 PM

My guess is dan would leave for the right, premier job. And I would not blame him for that.

So would everyone on this board.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:44 PM
A weak candidate who wants to be here is good for what 4-6 wins a year? Maybe 7 in a good year? Like Stoops at Kentucky in the weak east. It has to be a good fit. Honestly I rather win 7-9 with a coach with one foot out the door so we are set up for a smooth transition.

When you set up a strawman, yes. But if we handle it correctly we can make a good hire.

One of three things is going to happen if Dan leaves:

1. We make a better hire.
2. We hire someone that has about the same results.
3. We make a worse hire.

Two out of those three isn't a bad thing. And if we hire someone that is option three, then we fire him and go find another coach. Not that big of a deal as long as we don't let it get out of control.

I totally disagree that we should keep a coach around that has one foot out the door. First of all there is no guarantee that he would win 7-9 in the first place with us adding BYU to the schedule and only six home games. The best time for a smooth transition is RIGHT NOW. We do have to replace Dak, but really the biggest thing that needs rebuilding is the o-line. Odds are good that with Dan not wanting to be around that we have a losing season next year if he stays around.

I just feel like when you keep someone around that doesn't want to be there, it usually ends up toxic. Whether it's a football coach or a janitor. Just let him go and move on with his life and career.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Overall Dan did a good job. But now he wants to leave. We need to let him go. That doesn't mean he gets to stay as long as he can- because he's not going to magically start caring again anytime soon- which will eventually get us right back where we were. So we need to cut the cord now.

How do you know he wants to leave? Serious question.

confucius say
11-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Why do you think he wants to leave? Bc he put feelers out that he would leave for a big time premier job, several of which are open and another (Lsu) that everyone thought would be? If he really wanted out so badly like you are being led to believe, he would be gone to vt, Maryland, Syracuse, etc...

confucius say
11-29-2015, 09:49 PM
So would everyone on this board.

Exactly.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-29-2015, 09:51 PM
A few things:

1. Usually those with the accurate sources don't blab it on message boards. I don't know what Dan is going to do, nor do I know if the Internet gossip is right or wrong. I could make one phone call tomorrow though to an individual who absolutely would know. He might tell me and he might not. But you can damn sure bet if he tells me that it won't be repeated on a message board. He would kill me if I did. Because he is damn sure in the know. Do you think Tim Cook lets employees know what is in the R&D pipeline and then says "tell your buddies to put it on a message board so Samsung can read it".

2. If we get pissed at Mullen for shopping (allegedly), and decide to send him packing as some have recommended, then we better be ready to face the backlash. Word got out that Les Miles might get canned, and the media sentiment turned on LSU pretty quick. Imagine the media blast if MSU boots a coach who has gone to 6 bowls in a row and led us to #1. I run a multi-million dollar company, and I always think about the fallout before I make a big decision.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:53 PM
How do you know he wants to leave? Serious question.

Based on his actions.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 09:54 PM
When you set up a strawman, yes. But if we handle it correctly we can make a good hire.

One of three things is going to happen if Dan leaves:

1. We make a better hire.
2. We hire someone that has about the same results.
3. We make a worse hire.

Two out of those three isn't a bad thing. And if we hire someone that is option three, then we fire him and go find another coach. Not that big of a deal as long as we don't let it get out of control.

I totally disagree that we should keep a coach around that has one foot out the door. First of all there is no guarantee that he would win 7-9 in the first place with us adding BYU to the schedule and only six home games. The best time for a smooth transition is RIGHT NOW. We do have to replace Dak, but really the biggest thing that needs rebuilding is the o-line. Odds are good that with Dan not wanting to be around that we have a losing season next year if he stays around.

I just feel like when you keep someone around that doesn't want to be there, it usually ends up toxic. Whether it's a football coach or a janitor. Just let him go and move on with his life and career.

It's not a strawman. You said a weak coach. A weak coach in our division is not winning more than Dan has. Wanting to be here or not wont change that. And the start of the discussion between us had to do with forced changes in your current head coach or firing him at this point. If we don't have a really good coach lined up right now and you fire him, with his success he has had here against our history, especially with the numerous jobs that are open, you can forget getting your options 1 or 2. You may strike gold by accident but it will be hard to get a good coach. Which is why you said you had rather take a weak coach that wants to be here. I rather have a better coach that has proven (even with several of our fans opinions that he is not the same since 2010) he can win 7-10 games a year while he is looking elsewhere.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Why do you think he wants to leave? Bc he put feelers out that he would leave for a big time premier job, several of which are open and another (Lsu) that everyone thought would be? If he really wanted out so badly like you are being led to believe, he would be gone to vt, Maryland, Syracuse, etc...

Based on his actions. It's only Sunday with a lot of offseason left. We'll see what happens.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Why do you think he wants to leave?

We've already had one poster spell it out as easy as it can be. There's a difference when people say Mullen is interested in the Miami job and will interview as opposed to "Mullen wants out of Sville". THAT has never happened before

rem101
11-29-2015, 09:55 PM
UGA wants Kirby, Herman, Mullen. In that order.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:57 PM
It's not a strawman. You said a weak coach. A weak coach in our division is not winning more than Dan has. Wanting to be here or not wont change that.

Point remains. A weak coach that wants to be here is going to give us a chance to sustain what we are doing while a coach that doesn't want to be here is going to lead us down a slippery slope.

But the reason I said it was a straw man is because the idea is to hire a good coach. No one intentionally says "let's hire someone that is weak".

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Based on his actions.

What actions?

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 09:58 PM
We've already had one poster spell it out as easy as it can be. There's a difference when people say Mullen is interested in the Miami job and will interview as opposed to "Mullen wants out of Sville". THAT has never happened before

And I don't know why I seem to get attacked with questions like "well how do you know he wants out"? Maybe the fact that he obviously not giving a shit last night on the field and laughing when we screwed up an onside kick wasn't obvious enough for some people.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Va, Syracuse, Maryland, prob vt, prob mizzou, all of the openings that are about to come when Georgia, USCw, etc are filled. You disagree mullen could have those jobs of he really wanted them?

No, because they aren't going to pay near what he makes now, and he's not going to take a pay cut to change jobs. Apparently you can take Maryland and VT off your list.

shoeless joe
11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know WHY dan wants out?

Even if he hated Starkville I would think the money and his "status" here are good enough to make him not need to leave at this point. Based on a couple things I've heard first hand, I have somewhat of a theory as to why he may want to skirt town...but does anyone know of a legit reason for him to suddenly want out so badly??

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:01 PM
What actions?

Did you watch the game? Watch his press conference? The guy was laughing when we screwed up an onside kick. Everyone has been talking about how he didn't give a crap in his postgame press conference speech. It's very obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that he had checked out last night. He's either looking or way the hell too comfortable.

And either way something has to change.

Now again I say- kiss my ass.

confucius say
11-29-2015, 10:01 PM

If that is the case, he will be gone. Several job openings out there that he could have.

Again, it is much more likely that he would want out for a premier job only. And I can't blame him for that.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 10:02 PM
This horse has been beaten to death. I'm out on this one. That will make a lot of y'all happy!

MabenMaroon
11-29-2015, 10:02 PM
I cant believe I just read 5 pages of this shit. FVCK ME IM STOOPID.

Im out.

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/43a13b6311a2c01f7f13dc87ad2ad687702cc09851905aba72 c282be32c52d8a_large

The only real intelligent post on this whole thread, I am going to catch up on Fargo on the DVR.

gravedigger
11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
If Mullen really did pursue jobs and came up empty, we can deal from a position of strength... Make Mullen upgrade Hevesy. I like manny, but I wish we'd make a run at Pruitt

This. This. This.

confucius say
11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
No, because they aren't going to pay near what he makes now, and he's not going to take a pay cut to change jobs. Apparently you can take Maryland and VT off your list.

Oh so he only wants to leave for a premier job? If that is the case, I cannot fault the man.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:05 PM

Even if he hated Starkville I would think the money and his "status" here are good enough to make him not need to leave at this point. Based on a couple things I've heard first hand, I have somewhat of a theory as to why he may want to skirt town...but does anyone know of a legit reason for him to suddenly want out so badly??

It doesn't matter how much money you make- you always want more. You make 4 million- you're going to want 5. It's just human nature.

I could see why Georgia would be his first choice because he has a summer home there. Plus, it has to be pretty easy to recruit offensive players with the offensive system that GT uses because GT has to have certain specialized types of players for that offense. And there is enough talent in Georgia to recruit locally pretty exclusively- which means Dan and Hev don't have to do what they don't like to do as much- recruit.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
If that is the case, he will be gone. Several job openings out there that he could have.

Again, it is much more likely that he would want out for a premier job only. And I can't blame him for that.

No one is blaming Dan for wanting a premier job. But it just needs to hurry up and happen for our sake.

confucius say
11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
And I don't know why I seem to get attacked with questions like "well how do you know he wants out"? Maybe the fact that he obviously not giving a shit last night on the field and laughing when we screwed up an onside kick wasn't obvious enough for some people.

You truly believe he didn't care? Please. I smiled last night when that happened too. I told the person sitting next to me, it's fitting that we screw that up too, not recovering a ball that hit us dead in the chest. My point to that person was it's just not our night.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Point remains. A weak coach that wants to be here is going to give us a chance to sustain what we are doing while a coach that doesn't want to be here is going to lead us down a slippery slope.

But the reason I said it was a straw man is because the idea is to hire a good coach. No one intentionally says "let's hire someone that is weak".

You fire him because he won't adhere to your changes and you won't have to worry about hiring a good coach. Your coaches will be weak coaches or retreads or you put $4 MIL in a guy you could have hired for half that that will still be unproven in our league. You might get lucky but you can forget the hot up and coming young coaches or coordinators who see a place that if they don't win 9 a year in the SEC West at the historically most difficult school after firing their most successful coach in history, why go there when I can be at another Power 5 school in a year or two and won't have unrealistic expectations after 1 year and may be fired after just 2 or 3 years if I win 8 games.

gravedigger
11-29-2015, 10:10 PM

You are the least credible person on earth and that has never been proven otherwise. I have 72 usernames to prove my point.

L f'n OL

confucius say
11-29-2015, 10:12 PM
No one is blaming Dan for wanting a premier job. But it just needs to hurry up and happen for our sake.

I can agree with that. If he is going to leave, the quicker the better.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Again.. consider that source! This is beyond irresponsible if the goal is to be taken seriously as a "source" for MSU sporting news.

maroonmania
11-29-2015, 10:15 PM

He SHOULDN'T want to get out because he is making 4 mil/yr at a school who has given him everything he's asked for and has shown up in droves to support his teams at the games. The only reason I can come up with that might have him frustrated is that he feels that our archaic compliance department has his hands tied in recruiting to the point of being at a competitive disadvantage. But that is something only Keenum can take care of if its a factor. I'm sure he's also frustrated at how hard it is to win in the SEC West but that's totally out of our control.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:16 PM
You truly believe he didn't care? Please. I smiled last night when that happened too. I told the person sitting next to me, it's fitting that we screw that up too, not recovering a ball that hit us dead in the chest. My point to that person was it's just not our night.

I believe he didn't give a shit. And it's mainly based on his press conference. If he does care- he doesn't care enough. And that to me equates to not giving a shit.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:18 PM

But Todd... he was literally laughing at the fact of the way the night went. Sometimes, people do that. Kelly fumbled the ball to himself for pete's sake. To me, it's just him saying.. "That's about right!"

Reading way to much into it because you are to emotionally invested into the lose. He's not because it's his job to think about the future.... not the moment.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:18 PM
You fire him because he won't adhere to your changes and you won't have to worry about hiring a good coach. Your coaches will be weak coaches or retreads or you put $4 MIL in a guy you could have hired for half that that will still be unproven in our league. You might get lucky but you can forget the hot up and coming young coaches or coordinators who see a place that if they don't win 9 a year in the SEC West at the historically most difficult school after firing their most successful coach in history, why go there when I can be at another Power 5 school in a year or two and won't have unrealistic expectations after 1 year and may be fired after just 2 or 3 years if I win 8 games.

That's why you give the BS Urban Meyer excuse. Even LT was smart enough to say that Sherrill "retired". We all know what really happened.

confucius say
11-29-2015, 10:19 PM
I believe he didn't give a shit. And it's mainly based on his press conference. If he does care- he doesn't care enough. And that to me equates to not giving a shit.

I do wish he would get more pissed and go back to his 2009 self. I want to see that chip on his shoulder. But I also believe he cared last night.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:20 PM
But Todd... he was literally laughing at the fact of the way the night went. Sometimes, people do that. Kelly fumbled the ball to himself for pete's sake. To me, it's just him saying.. "That's about right!"

Reading way to much into it because you are to emotionally invested into the lose. He's not because it's his job to think about the future.... not the moment.

It's more about his actions in the press conference to me. I don't care- you don't laugh at that point in the game. Maybe you do- but you also don't coach in the SEC. If he had just shook his head- that's fine. But don't laugh.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:21 PM
This horse has been beaten to death. I'm out on this one. That will make a lot of y'all happy!

Not me... level heads are hard to come by around here these days.

One a different note, maybe we have arrived. Maybe we have reach the level that one year we could win the Championship, the next lose 2 games and fire the coach.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 10:21 PM
I do wish he would get more pissed and go back to his 2009 self. I want to see that chip on his shoulder. But I also believe he cared last night.

And you have to have that chip on your shoulder to succeed at a high level in the SEC. I just don't see that from Dan either. And it's very concerning.

preachermatt83
11-29-2015, 10:24 PM
23 and 88

I know 23 and I also know that he said TODAY when asked that question "man we wouldn't know if he was but I'd have to see no".

He's only leaving for a select few places and 99.9 percent of those places wouldn't have him. I do think that UGA has him on their short list. But I think Smart is 1st choice with Herman and Mullen 2A and 2B.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 10:25 PM
That's why you give the BS Urban Meyer excuse. Even LT was smart enough to say that Sherrill "retired". We all know what really happened.

Yeah well to my knowledge we don't have the necessary "incriminating" evidence that he has a problem for him to agree to that. That is kind of a big problem. Urban didn't leave just because of health problems and underperformance on the field. He had a very good reason to agree to that forced resignation. Mullen doesn't. And they did a bang up job with their next hire. Luckily they have the history and money to overcome a terrible hire quickly. I don't think we have that.

preachermatt83
11-29-2015, 10:26 PM
I certainly hope so

More players than u realize read this board and one of the 2 you mentioned earlier does REGULARLY.

gravedigger
11-29-2015, 10:30 PM
23 and 88

OR

YEA! Continued beatings from om. Sounds like the right thing coming from you. And as a reward, he gets 4 million dollars.

You may be the biggest moron in recorded history.

He could stay on one condition: we call the shots on his staff.

EnterpriseDawg
11-29-2015, 10:30 PM
More players than u realize read this board and one of the 2 you mentioned earlier does REGULARLY.

Talk about your all time backfires haha

Coach34
11-29-2015, 10:40 PM
I know 23 and I also know that he said TODAY when asked that question "man we wouldn't know if he was but I'd have to see no".

He's only leaving for a select few places and 99.9 percent of those places wouldn't have him. I do think that UGA has him on their short list. But I think Smart is 1st choice with Herman and Mullen 2A and 2B.

I stood there at the tailgate and watch it happen last night. What is I said wasnt passed on from someone else

Coach007
11-29-2015, 10:40 PM

I wasn't shocked at the laughter!

yjnkdawg
11-29-2015, 10:45 PM

I don't know how much can be taken from that press conference. I imagine he was aggrevated with everything that happened last night, and then being upset with the media. They can ask some stupid questions sometimes. Have you ever seen Saban's presser after a Bama loss and some of his responses? And on the smile on the onside kick, sometimes when things get so bad and they aren't going to change for the better, you just have to smile sometimes to keep your sanity. Been there and done that on my job, when it seemed like the roof was caving in on me.

CadaverDawg
11-29-2015, 10:50 PM
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/10/Laughing-GIF_1.gif

the59dawg
11-29-2015, 10:50 PM

And how would you know what his agent is doing? Anyone can pass a rumor and by adding "I know a secret crap" give the rumor more legs.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 10:54 PM
And how would you know what his agent is doing? Anyone can pass a rumor and by adding "I know a secret crap" give the rumor more legs.

Who do you think has been talking to these schools???

sandwolf
11-29-2015, 10:54 PM
He could stay on one condition: we call the shots on his staff.

That's dumb as shit, and it never works.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Who do you think has been talking to these schools???

His agent! That's his damn job! I'm sure Dan is smiling at how well he is doing it! You have a way of skirting the real matter.

1- You don't know who his agent has talked to, if anybody.

2- You are assuming the agent is talking to schools because his name is mentioned in the media. That comes with the territory. High profile coach.... Lots of media attention. Just because a member of LEGIT media says it, doesn't make it true. And when a known person states "I know he just wants out" .... lol.. you should have known better.

You are reading the internet and drawing conclusions, passing them on as fact.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 11:12 PM
His agent! That's his damn job! I'm sure Dan is smiling at how well he is doing it! You have a way of skirting the real matter.

1- You don't know who his agent has talked to, if anybody.

2- You are assuming the agent is talking to schools because his name is mentioned in the media. That comes with the territory. High profile coach.... Lots of media attention. Just because a member of LEGIT media says it, doesn't make it true. And when a known person states "I know he just wants out" .... lol.. you should have known better.

You are reading the internet and drawing conclusions, passing them on as fact.

You're doing the same thing he's doing, dude. You're just on the other side of the fence. You need to be over on Gene's with the rest of the sheep.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:12 PM
I don't know how much can be taken from that press conference. I imagine he was aggrevated with everything that happened last night, and then being upset with the media. They can ask some stupid questions sometimes. Have you ever seen Saban's presser after a Bama loss and some of his responses? And on the smile on the onside kick, sometimes when things get so bad and they aren't going to change for the better, you just have to smile sometimes to keep your sanity. Been there and done that on my job, when it seemed like the roof was caving in on me.

I feel like I'm pretty good about reading people. And I'm hardly the only one that feels the same way.

ALL season I've had thoughts like this about personnel and other issues and had people like you saying stuff like "well you weren't at practice, how do you know..." and here we are and it appears I and many others were right all along.

Probably time for people like Liverpool to stop questioning and spinning and time for them to start listening.

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:15 PM
You're doing the same thing he's doing, dude. You're just on the other side of the fence. You need to be over on Gene's with the rest of the sheep.

No. There is a big difference between saying, 'It's obvious he wants out,' and saying, 'We don't know that.'

HaggardDawg
11-29-2015, 11:17 PM
C34 has been right all along about Dan and UGA. I know that Mullen's staff knew 4 years ago that UGA was his dream job. Its not a big secret. Dan flaps his gums about it. I'm sure it's used against us in recruiting.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Yeah well to my knowledge we don't have the necessary "incriminating" evidence that he has a problem for him to agree to that. That is kind of a big problem. Urban didn't leave just because of health problems and underperformance on the field. He had a very good reason to agree to that forced resignation. Mullen doesn't. And they did a bang up job with their next hire. Luckily they have the history and money to overcome a terrible hire quickly. I don't think we have that.

Are you talking about Urban's health issues? Just remember what Obi Won Kenobi told Luke Skywalker after Luke found out that Darth Vader was his father- "Darth Vader killed your father from a certain point of view".

If we keep it vague- Dan resigned from stress and wanting to spend more time with his family "from a certain point of view" we don't owe anyone "incriminating evidence."

And as far as making a bad hire- why assume that we would make one at this point? For the most part, Scott has made good hires with Ray being the huge blemish. Not counting Howland. We have a much more attractive football program than we do basketball program. And while not a slam dunk by any means odds are very good that we would make a very good hire. To me, worst case scenario would be Hudspeth- compare that to the past where we had Croom and Felker as our options. So, I'm not really even worried about that to be honest with you. We need to focus on the current state of our program and doing what is best for MSU.

maroonmania
11-29-2015, 11:21 PM

Should be no surprise that we didn't recover the Kelly fumble or the onside kick. Never seen a team so inept in gathering possession of a ball fumbled by the opposing team.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/456/p3

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:22 PM
No. There is a big difference between saying, 'It's obvious he wants out,' and saying, 'We don't know that.'

Hence why he said "on the other side of the fence".

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Are you talking about Urban's health issues? Just remember what Obi Won Kenobi told Luke Skywalker after Luke found out that Darth Vader was his father- "Darth Vader killed your father from a certain point of view".

If we keep it vague- Dan resigned from stress and wanting to spend more time with his family "from a certain point of view" we don't owe anyone "incriminating evidence."

And as far as making a bad hire- why assume that we would make one at this point? For the most part, Scott has made good hires with Ray being the huge blemish. Not counting Howland. We have a much more attractive football program than we do basketball program. And while not a slam dunk by any means odds are very good that we would make a very good hire. To me, worst case scenario would be Hudspeth- compare that to the past where we had Croom and Felker as our options. So, I'm not really even worried about that to be honest with you. We need to focus on the current state of our program and doing what is best for MSU.

Urban's deal wasn't about health issues and it turned into a cluster down there. We don't have the leverage they had to force a made up resignation if Mullen won't agree to it. They had things that Urban and his family wanted to keep out of the media at the time so it would not hinder him getting another job. We don't have that. Mullen can say no, you fire me and pay my buyout and have us looking like idiots for firing him.

That would be when our pool of possible replacements shrinks considerably. Because most everyone that want to fire Mullen right now knows it would be a terrible decision to do so without cause. And an 8 win season after he was won national coach of the year and from the outside world's point of view (which includes coaches) in a year we shouldn't win but 6 games, is not just cause.

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:30 PM
Hence why he said "on the other side of the fence".

No, those are not similar statements just from opposite viewpoints. One is making a definitive claim and the other is specifically not making a definitive claim.

That's not both sides of the fence. One person is sitting on the fence because we don't have nearly enough information, and the other is throwing themselves over onto one side without much concern for the information involved.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Urban's deal wasn't about health issues and it turned into a cluster down there. We don't have the leverage they had to force a made up resignation if Mullen won't agree to it. They had things that Urban and his family wanted to keep out of the media at the time so it would not hinder him getting another job. We don't have that. Mullen can say no, you fire me and pay my buyout and have us looking like idiots for firing him.

No we still have the leverage. If that does indeed happen we go out and say that the reason we fired Dan was because he was actively looking to leave MSU and want someone that wants to BE AT MSU. And we need to make it sound like Dan did it without our knowledge. THAT'S KEY.

Then we say that Dan was actively looking at Georgia, Maryland, and whomever else to support our claim.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:35 PM
No, those are not similar statements just from opposite viewpoints. One is making a definitive claim and the other is specifically not making a definitive claim.

That's not both sides of the fence. One person is sitting on the fence because we don't have nearly enough information, and the other is throwing themselves over onto one side without much concern for the information involved.

Let me guess- you're one of those people that has to have the house burn down before it is "definitively" a fire?

You have non-MSU fans all over twitter and the Internet- some more reputable than others- that have been talking about this for WEEKS.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 11:36 PM
No we still have the leverage. If that does indeed happen we go out and say that the reason we fired Dan was because he was actively looking to leave MSU and want someone that wants to BE AT MSU. And we need to make it sound like Dan did it without our knowledge. THAT'S KEY.

Then we say that Dan was actively looking at Georgia, Maryland, and whomever else to support our claim.

Lol. Yeah the next coach will be fine with coming here but with the understanding he couldn't ever look for another job or he would be fired. Good luck with that excuse or getting any of those other schools to give any type of support to prove the claim.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Lol. Yeah the next coach will be fine with coming here but with the understanding he couldn't ever look for another job or he would be fired. Good luck with that excuse.

I don't see why people can't see the difference in "interested in job x" and "please get me out of Starkville"

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Lol. Yeah the next coach will be fine with coming here but with the understanding he couldn't ever look for another job or he would be fired. Good luck with that excuse.

Nope- we just have to tell the new coach to "go through the proper channels". It's all about "point of view".

You don't understand how to play this game very well do you?

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:39 PM

You really have lost it. Now we're playing middle school games.

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Let me guess- you're one of those people that has to have the house burn down before it is "definitively" a fire?

You have non-MSU fans all over twitter and the Internet- some more reputable than others- that have been talking about this for WEEKS.

Nah, don't need the house to burn down...but I sure as heck need more than my 3-year-old kid telling me it's a little warm in here and asking if it's a fire.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:41 PM
I don't see why people can't see the difference in "interested in job x" and "please get me out of Starkville"

I don't understand why some people can't see that Dan has checked out. Not to mention there is a lot more smoke about Dan leaving than I can ever remember. Too many of the tea leaves are adding up right now.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Nope- we just have to tell the new coach to "go through the proper channels". It's all about "point of view".

You don't understand how to play this game very well do you?

I understand completely. Your premise is absolutely foolish. Are you going to do the same with assistant coaches as well? And what is proper channels you think he is not going through? You are basing this one trying to make a fake resignation or firing for cause without any just cause so we won't look bad. It won't work and you won't even get a weak coach to come here thinking they may be fired anytime their agent has contact with another school. You are being silly.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:43 PM
You really have lost it. Now we're playing middle school games.

Nope- we're playing the Ole Miss game at controlling the media and perception. Which admittedly is a little middle school-ish. But you do what you have to do to protect the integrity of the program.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 11:43 PM
I don't understand why some people can't see that Dan has checked out. Not to mention there is a lot more smoke about Dan leaving than I can ever remember. Too many of the tea leaves are adding up right now.

I'm actually agreeing with you generally on this one. It's one thing for a coach to float with his agent being interested in 'job x' but when the media is out there saying "Mullen is making it clear that he wants out of Starkville" is an entirely different (and unacceptable) thing.

smootness
11-29-2015, 11:46 PM

And where did the 'please get me out of Starkville' come from? Because THAT is the issue some of us have with all this. It's taking some random rumor from who knows where and running with it as if it is 100% fact.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:46 PM
I understand completely. Your premise is absolutely foolish. Are you going to do the same with assistant coaches as well? And what is proper channels you think he is not going through? You are basing this one trying to make a fake resignation or firing for cause without any just cause so we won't look bad. It won't work and you won't even get a weak coach to come here thinking they may be fired anytime their agent has contact with another school. You are being silly.

The proper channels only exist in terms of what you tell people. MSU sets those channels. We tell the media that Dan was talking to other schools before other schools got official permission to talk to Dan. We can say that using your agent counts.

Truth is it likely won't come down to that anyway- but if it does, we don't have to be held hostage by our football coach. We could technically actually fire him for any reason we want to.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:49 PM
And where did the 'please get me out of Starkville' come from? Because THAT is the issue some of us have with all this. It's taking some random rumor from who knows where and running with it as if it is 100% fact.

You better start listening to your three year old more. It's obvious to anyone with a brain.

Again- you are completely concrete. You wouldn't believe unless Dan held up a sign at the 50 yard line that said "GET ME OUT OF HERE".

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Nope- we're playing the Ole Miss game at controlling the media and perception. Which admittedly is a little middle school-ish. But you do what you have to do to protect the integrity of the program.

You don't think he could be on sports center in about 15 min after the fact telling his side of what he feels is a wrongful termination with what you are advocating? Please. He could have us out spun by telling the truth in your scenario that our job becomes untouchable. There is not a coach worth his salt is going step into that kind of situation with the idea that he will get fired with his name being in connection with other jobs.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 11:50 PM

I'm just going with what Feldman reported

War Machine Dawg
11-29-2015, 11:50 PM

Because they're terrified of change, just like their infallible hero Mullen. They think we'll slip back into the 80s if Mullen leaves. What they continue to fail to grasp is the rising tide of the SEC has elevated our program to a point where that won't happen. We're at worst a top 20 job. Only 15 coaches in the nation make more than Mullen. And we've drastically improved our facilities.

We also have a talent base full of underdeveloped and under the radar talent. The right coach just has to be willing to travel out to the middle of nowhere like Pinola to find them. We need to do a better job of recruiting regionally/nationally for certain key positions like OL and QB, but overall, it's not as hard to win here as some make it out to be. In fact, we'd take a quantum leap forward if we'd just modernize our compliance department. But our Cigar Boys don't have the balls or pull to make it happen. And if they did, they still like to run their mouths too much instead of playing the game and keeping their traps shut. Time for them to either shit or get off the pot, so far as I'm concerned.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 11:55 PM
The proper channels only exist in terms of what you tell people. MSU sets those channels. We tell the media that Dan was talking to other schools before other schools got official permission to talk to Dan. We can say that using your agent counts.

Truth is it likely won't come down to that anyway- but if it does, we don't have to be held hostage by our football coach. We could technically actually fire him for any reason we want to.

The media will laugh and destroy the university for that kind of stance. There is contact all the time during the season. Just not official until it's time to hire someone. Good grief man you try to put that out there and they will crucify you. You think they try to make us out to be a dead end job now, pull a stunt like that with a coach who is winning here, we hope we could hire Croom back.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:56 PM
You don't think he could be on sports center in about 15 min after the fact telling his side of what he feels is a wrongful termination with what you are advocating? Please. He could have us out spun by telling the truth in your scenario that our job becomes untouchable. There is not a coach worth his salt is going step into that kind of situation with the idea that he will get fired with his name being in connection with other jobs.

Same as Croom did in an interview? That hurt us didn't it? I don't care. It's our word against his. Dan will just look disgruntled. The truth is only what we choose to put out there. We don't have to tell every gory detail. No one outside of Mississippi is going to give two shits to investigate it that deeply. Especially since we can offer someone a chance at coaching in the SEC for 4 million dollars.

If he sues us for wrongful termination we just tell the judge that his performance didn't meet our standards and that he was looking to leave anyway and we did him a favor by expediting the process. There's nothing wrongful about that in the eyes of court. We're not discriminating against his race or age and he doesn't have a disability that we're firing him over. He doesn't belong to a union either I don't believe.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Because they're terrified of change, just like their infallible hero Mullen. They think we'll slip back into the 80s if Mullen leaves. What they continue to fail to grasp is the rising tide of the SEC has elevated our program to a point where that won't happen. We're at worst a top 20 job. Only 15 coaches in the nation make more than Mullen. And we've drastically improved our facilities.

We also have a talent base full of underdeveloped and under the radar talent. The right coach just has to be willing to travel out to the middle of nowhere like Pinola to find them. We need to do a better job of recruiting regionally/nationally for certain key positions like OL and QB, but overall, it's not as hard to win here as some make it out to be. In fact, we'd take a quantum leap forward if we'd just modernize our compliance department. But our Cigar Boys don't have the balls or pull to make it happen. And if they did, they still like to run their mouths too much instead of playing the game and keeping their traps shut. Time for them to either shit or get off the pot, so far as I'm concerned.

BOOM! You nailed it.

All of this "but.....but.....what will the media say? No one is going to want to come here if we dare fire Dan!?!"

smootness
11-30-2015, 12:00 AM
You better start listening to your three year old more. It's obvious to anyone with a brain.

Again- you are completely concrete. You wouldn't believe unless Dan held up a sign at the 50 yard line that said "GET ME OUT OF HERE".

Lulz.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 12:02 AM
The media will laugh and destroy the university for that kind of stance. There is contact all the time during the season. Just not official until it's time to hire someone. Good grief man you try to put that out there and they will crucify you. You think they try to make us out to be a dead end job now, pull a stunt like that with a coach who is winning here, we hope we could hire Croom back.

That's assuming it even gets that far. And again- I don't really care what the media says. Someone will be happy to take 4 million from MSU. And the worst case scenario is Hudspeth. I can live with where we would be in that worst case scenario.

You're making a LOT of assumptions based on 1990 more than anything- and assuming that the national media gives a shit. Especially on things that haven't even happened yet while things are still being played out behind the scenes.

smootness
11-30-2015, 12:02 AM
I'm just going with what Feldman reported

Fair enough, but that guy tried to convince people Mullen was a candidate for Pitt last year. Pitt.

Reporters are wrong a lot. The media sees this as a logical time for Mullen to leave because they've always assumed he would try to leave eventually and Dak is a senior.

BossDawg
11-30-2015, 12:03 AM
Then we should fire him. He doesn't want to be here and he is hurting both of us at this point.

Exactly. If he can't get his head 100% into preparing his team to play every week then he needs to resign and start looking elsewhere. He should at least have the balls to do that much for State, as much as the university and fans have done for him. However, if he refuses to then he should be let go.

I DO NOT want a coach who no longer has the passion to win and give back to his supporters.

bluelightstar
11-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Same as Croom did in an interview? That hurt us didn't it? I don't care. It's our word against his. Dan will just look disgruntled. The truth is only what we choose to put out there. We don't have to tell every gory detail. No one outside of Mississippi is going to give two shits to investigate it that deeply. Especially since we can offer someone a chance at coaching in the SEC for 4 million dollars.

If he sues us for wrongful termination we just tell the judge that his performance didn't meet our standards and that he was looking to leave anyway and we did him a favor by expediting the process. There's nothing wrongful about that in the eyes of court. We're not discriminating against his race or age and he doesn't have a disability that we're firing him over. He doesn't belong to a union either I don't believe.

In the coaching fraternity, I can assure you this would not go over well. If Dan takes another job, that's one thing. He isn't getting fired this year. All bets are off if he misses a bowl game in 2016 and gets rocked in the Egg Bowl again though.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 12:05 AM

Ok. Yeah I'm sure no coaches will pay attention that we fired a guy (falsely remember because you are going through all this spin because he won't except a fake resignation which we have no real reason to force on him other than you want to save face instead of firing him, so he forced your hand to do so) for something they all do already to get to where they are in the profession. You are naive if you think pursuing this scenario wouldn't bite you in trying to hire your next coach.

bluelightstar
11-30-2015, 12:05 AM

In the coaching fraternity, I can assure you this would not go over well. If Dan takes another job, that's one thing. He isn't getting fired this year. All bets are off if he misses a bowl game in 2016 and gets rocked in the Egg Bowl again though.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 12:12 AM
Ok. Yeah I'm sure no coaches will pay attention that we fired a guy (falsely remember because you are going through all this spin because he won't except a fake resignation which we have no real reason to force on him other than you want to save face instead of firing him, so he forced your hand to do so) for something they all do already to get to where they are in the profession. You are naive if you think pursuing this scenario wouldn't bite you in trying to hire your next coach.

And then we're stuck with Hudspeth. Worst case scenario.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 12:13 AM
Exactly. If he can't get his head 100% into preparing his team to play every week then he needs to resign and start looking elsewhere. He should at least have the balls to do that much for State, as much as the university and fans have done for him. However, if he refuses to then he should be let go.

I DO NOT want a coach who no longer has the passion to win and give back to his supporters.

Thank you! If Dan comes back, it is only going to hurt us as a program. Same mistake we have made over and over through the years- waiting too long to make a change.

Quaoarsking
11-30-2015, 12:18 AM

Four straight 9-4 seasons at ULL and now a 4-7. Not awful, but it's not like he's a home run hire, especially with the potential for a Show Cause coming. Sure would suck to have to fire him in July and try to find a coach then...

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 12:28 AM

Yeah he is your best case scenario after that type of debacle and he may not be touchable right now even if he would agree. He has baggage and we would have to know what the NCAA is going to do with him and his staff first. Pretty sure he is ok, but you had better tread careful if he is the guy. Had a good run with his questionably transfers and recruits that bit him to a 4-7 record this year. Replacing an 8-4 winningest head coach in the modern era with a guy who finished 4-7 at ULL. That's a good idea?

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Yeah he is your best case scenario after that type of debacle and he may not be touchable right now even if he would agree. He has baggage and we would have to know what the NCAA is going to do with him and his staff first. Pretty sure he is ok, but you had better tread careful if he is the guy. Had a good run with his questionably transfers and recruits that bit him to a 4-7 record this year. Replacing an 8-4 winningest head coach in the modern era with a guy who finished 4-7 at ULL. That's a good idea?

I never said it was "a good idea". I said repeatedly he's the worst case scenario. Meaning that it's likely we get someone better like a Whittingham before it even got to Hud. But for any baggage that Hud has- at least he actually wants to be at MSU which is a hell of a lot more than you can say about our current coach. And I'd rather deal with Hud's issues than watch Dan flub through a 6-6 season next year only to have this same discussion again until things get to the point where we have to bring his sorry ass back again until he eventually ruins his program that he built and we fire him anyway.

And at that time you'll still be scared of what everyone thinks about us while our program goes in the shitter- again. All because we weren't proactive.

Dawgface
11-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Bottom line in all this, the sources were wrong. He was not 100% gone. Mullen will be here another year and nothing will change on the staff. We did go 8-4 so our AD will not force Dan to do anything. Time to move on to basketball.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 07:43 AM
I never said it was "a good idea". I said repeatedly he's the worst case scenario. Meaning that it's likely we get someone better like a Whittingham before it even got to Hud. But for any baggage that Hud has- at least he actually wants to be at MSU which is a hell of a lot more than you can say about our current coach. And I'd rather deal with Hud's issues than watch Dan flub through a 6-6 season next year only to have this same discussion again until things get to the point where we have to bring his sorry ass back again until he eventually ruins his program that he built and we fire him anyway.

And at that time you'll still be scared of what everyone thinks about us while our program goes in the shitter- again. All because we weren't proactive.

He is the best case scenario because you won't get Whittington or any other head coach out there to even talk to you if you try to pull the stunt your scenarios have been about. We have no reason or leverage to force a made up resignation for "health reasons" or whatever. He doesn't and won't have to agree to that. So then you fire him trying to spin the firing saying he was connected to other jobs and he was actively looking to leave and didn't go through proper channels, guess what most jobs in coaching are done this way. You can't make a stance that we will fire a coach for doing what coaches and their agents do all the time. Coaches worth anything won't coming here under those criteria. And again you are doing all of this from an angle of deceit because you know that we have no good reason to get rid of him and not look bad to the media and coaching candidates.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 08:39 AM
He is the best case scenario because you won't get Whittington or any other head coach out there to even talk to you if you try to pull the stunt your scenarios have been about. We have no reason or leverage to force a made up resignation for "health reasons" or whatever. He doesn't and won't have to agree to that. So then you fire him trying to spin the firing saying he was connected to other jobs and he was actively looking to leave and didn't go through proper channels, guess what most jobs in coaching are done this way. You can't make a stance that we will fire a coach for doing what coaches and their agents do all the time. Coaches worth anything won't coming here under those criteria. And again you are doing all of this from an angle of deceit because you know that we have no good reason to get rid of him and not look bad to the media and coaching candidates.

Assuming it even gets as far as you fear. It likely won't even go down the rabbit hole that you went down. And even if it did we still end up with a good coach that wants to be here.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Assuming it even gets as far as you fear. It likely won't even go down the rabbit hole that you went down. And even if it did we still end up with a good coach that wants to be here.

It's not my rabbit hole. Those were your scenarios to fake a resignation or fire him and spin the reason.

ILOATHEBears
11-30-2015, 09:00 AM
I see this playing out like Stans. He stayed a year too long. Dansbury has now offended half the fan base and as we all know we can be stubborn to a detriment. He made this bed now he has to sleep in it. I want the guy that had fire and passion back, the guy that said we would never lose to tsun again. That guy left a few years back. He has not been the same since he got caught with his horse out of the barn

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-30-2015, 09:03 AM
That guy left a few years back. He has not been the same since he got caught with his horse out of the barn

What you talkin bout Willis?

Blackout
11-30-2015, 09:08 AM
I want the guy that had fire and passion back, the guy that said we would never lose to tsun again. That guy left a few years back.

Dan is Rocky Balboa at the beginning of Rocky III

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 09:13 AM
It's not my rabbit hole. Those were your scenarios to fake a resignation or fire him and spin the reason.

Please. You have been the one talking about things like a "wrongful termination" suit among other things.

Todd4State
11-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I see this playing out like Stans. He stayed a year too long. Dansbury has now offended half the fan base and as we all know we can be stubborn to a detriment. He made this bed now he has to sleep in it. I want the guy that had fire and passion back, the guy that said we would never lose to tsun again. That guy left a few years back. He has not been the same since he got caught with his horse out of the barn

It's always a year too long at MSU. For those paying attention to our history. If Dan comes back, it will not be a good thing because the fans are split right now- and short of pulling a 10 win season next year I don't see him getting fans back.

And that leads to fan apathy and eventually temporary loss of support in the program until changes are made.

Hopefully this will all work itself out though.

confucius say
11-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Ding ding ding

ILOATHEBears
11-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Ding ding ding

I agree but explain what has happened in the last 30 days that makes him desperate to leave. Has he realized his coaching/recruiting can't win the west so he's a puss and leaves for an easier path? Or did Megan say Cannon will start school next yr and she doesn't want to send him to SA? What happened to make him desparate to leave?

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Please. You have been the one talking about things like a "wrongful termination" suit among other things.

What? You are coming up with asinine fake resignations and firing him and then trying to spin the "from a certain point of view" angle crap. I never said anything about a law suit. I said you would be firing him without cause in the sense it would look extremely bad in the media and too other coaches. Nothing about him suing us.

smootness
11-30-2015, 09:56 AM
I agree but explain what has happened in the last 30 days that makes him desperate to leave. Has he realized his coaching/recruiting can't win the west so he's a puss and leaves for an easier path? Or did Megan say Cannon will start school next yr and she doesn't want to send him to SA? What happened to make him desparate to leave?

The easy answer is that he's not actually desperate to leave.

sandjunky
11-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Kids starting school and

Keenum's statement on the state flag**

1MidsouthDawg
11-30-2015, 10:14 AM
So the answer is at STATE we should run off a coach who has had 6 winning seasons out of his first 7 seasons? Also, in a KNOWN rebuilding year, we win 8 games?
I thought this site, which was recommended to me by another STATE alum was for sane people.

Regarding the MEDIA being RIGHT and NO NAME insides sources, let me point to the most recent examples:
- Les Miles fired at LSU
- CDM to VA Tech it is a done deal, Justine F from Memphis named HC last night
- CDM agent talking to other universities, how else do you gauge the Fair Market for an OUTSTANDING COACH

So Coach and the rest of the nay sayers, tell me a STATE coach in football that had 8 wins in a down year. Then look yourself in the mirror and admit you are an IDIOT!!!
Have a good day.

HAILSTATE and Go DAWGs!!!

farmdawg1
11-30-2015, 10:22 AM
This is why he's not going anywhere and never was being pursued by any big time programs...keep in mind he's making $4.3 million, so eliminates others like Maryland, UVA, ect. Those schools aren't paying that much unless it's a homerun type...Dan's a tweener.

1-3 against Freeze
0-7 against Bama
1-6 against LSU
1-3 against A&M
3-4 against Auburn
4-3 against Arkansas

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 10:28 AM
This is why he's not going anywhere and never was being pursued by any big time programs...keep in mind he's making $4.3 million, so eliminates others like Maryland, UVA, ect. Those schools aren't paying that much unless it's a homerun type...Dan's a tweener.

1-3 against Freeze
0-7 against Bama
1-6 against LSU
1-3 against A&M
3-4 against Auburn
4-3 against Arkansas

Whoa now. You are using his all time record for every school except UNM? I don't have a problem using records but be fair about it and not skewing it to paint a worse picture. Especially from a talking point that was originally spun by UNM that many of our fans are now using. Use his overall record. It has bad enough numbers without spinning it using a talking point from UNM to make it like he doesn't actually have a winning record in the egg bowl.

C222
11-30-2015, 10:32 AM

1-3 against Freeze
0-7 against Bama
1-6 against LSU
1-3 against A&M
3-4 against Auburn
4-3 against Arkansas

You know we have played OM 7 times, right?

BrunswickDawg
11-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Whoa now. You are using his all time record for every school except UNM? I don't have a problem using records but be fair about it and not skewing it to paint a worse picture. Especially from a talking point that was originally spun by UNM that many of our fans are now using. Use his overall record. It has bad enough numbers without spinning it using a talking point from UNM to make it like he doesn't actually have a winning record in the egg bowl.

And also ignoring 7-0 vs. Kentucky - a conference team we play every year, and our rotating east opponents that we are 4-3 against. People pawn that off as "weak east", but historically we sucked in those too.

NYDawg
11-30-2015, 11:19 AM

Does it matter? Everything out there suggests that someone in his camp has been telling other schools that he "wants out of Starkville" badly. Maybe it was just a way to get into the discussion with schools that might have thought he wouldn't be interested in a lateral move, but that's the kind of story line that (i) infuriates the boosters and fans who've filled the seats and funded this seven-year run and (ii) kills you in recruiting battles. Even if his camp didn't say he "wants out," responding to these reports with the "aww shucks golly ghee whiz it's nice to be wanted" bullcrap isn't going to cut it. If this whole thing had gone down like this last year, we probably wouldn't have signed Leo and a few other top recruits from that class even if Dan stayed. As mediocre as Dan's recruiting has been, it's sure as hell not going to improve with that hanging over his head. He might as well start dropping deuces on elite recruits' kitchen tables as to give opposing coaches that kind of ammunition on the recruiting trail.

farmdawg1
11-30-2015, 12:16 PM
4-3 against OM (lost 3 of 4 and play them in Oxford next yr-trending in the wrong direction)
0-7 against Bama
1-6 against LSU
1-3 against A&M
3-4 against Auburn
4-3 against Arkansas

I'm not in the run off Mullen camp and don't see him going anywhere else our recruiting woes are glaring and the gap against OM is widening. We have to recruit better and if takes making staff changes in order to that then make it happen.

shoeless joe
11-30-2015, 12:24 PM

This is what I'm curious to know. IF he does want out then why?

I think it may have something to do with Megan but not that she doesn't like Starkville.

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2015, 01:03 PM
So the answer is at STATE we should run off a coach who has had 6 winning seasons out of his first 7 seasons? Also, in a KNOWN rebuilding year, we win 8 games?
I thought this site, which was recommended to me by another STATE alum was for sane people.

Regarding the MEDIA being RIGHT and NO NAME insides sources, let me point to the most recent examples:
- Les Miles fired at LSU
- CDM to VA Tech it is a done deal, Justine F from Memphis named HC last night
- CDM agent talking to other universities, how else do you gauge the Fair Market for an OUTSTANDING COACH

So Coach and the rest of the nay sayers, tell me a STATE coach in football that had 8 wins in a down year. Then look yourself in the mirror and admit you are an IDIOT!!!
Have a good day.

HAILSTATE and Go DAWGs!!!

We are looking at 6 or 7 wins next year if we don't have injuries and Fitz or Staley is as good as we hope. If Dan insists on Shump still getting more snaps than the freshmen then we might miss a bowl all together. I will admit that I had high hopes this year. I thought we had best case scenario was 10 wins and worst case was 8. I am ok with 8 wins but when you look like you don't belong on the same field as UM, it is just tough to stomach. UM just beat us like Bama usually does.

Combine that with Dan throwing in the towel with about 4 minutes to go just pisses me off. I watched the game with a former 3 year starter at State. At the end of the game he was wanting them to at least fight because we showed no life the entire game. We might as well have been playing Northwestern St. Other than Nick James showing some fire, we looked like we didn't care to be there. Elston was talking trash and being a typical POS and noone even tried to retaliate after the game was decided.

Coach34
11-30-2015, 01:06 PM
This was not a down year....2016 is going to be the down year

sandjunky
11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Yep, breaking in new QB, ETC..

His appeal wanes and has to wait an additional year to jump (assuming successful '17)...because he resurrected poor MSU twice now they will say

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2015, 01:18 PM

Before you even look at the schedule, there is basically 3 losses: at Bama, at LSU, at UM. BYU in Provo is going to be tough especially with the altitude that our players aren't used to. We have to win at UK (likely), SC at home (possible), TAM at home (possible), AU at home (possible), and Ark at home (possible).

So we could get to 8 wins but we basically have to win all the coin flip games. I haven't looked close enough at anyone to see what they have coming back but TAM, AU, and UK all seemed to have a lot of returning starters. TAM will still have Garrett who will probably set a sack record against our complete trash of an Oline. Muschamp will have 2 years working with AU and UK seems to be getting better.

Tripp McNeely
11-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Before you even look at the schedule, there is basically 3 losses: at Bama, at LSU, at UM. BYU in Provo is going to be tough especially with the altitude that our players aren't used to. We have to win at UK (likely), SC at home (possible), TAM at home (possible), AU at home (possible), and Ark at home (possible).

So we could get to 8 wins but we basically have to win all the coin flip games. I haven't looked close enough at anyone to see what they have coming back but TAM, AU, and UK all seemed to have a lot of returning starters. TAM will still have Garrett who will probably set a sack record against our complete trash of an Oline. Muschamp will have 2 years working with AU and UK seems to be getting better.

why is it assumed UM is a loss? They might lose 16-17 starters. I know that it's in Oxford, but if you expect any school in MS to have a down year, try and fathom what their 2-deep is going to look like next year.

Lloyd Christmas
11-30-2015, 01:31 PM
why is it assumed UM is a loss? They might lose 16-17 starters. I know that it's in Oxford, but if you expect any school in MS to have a down year, try and fathom what their 2-deep is going to look like next year.

Because Bucky owns Mullen like Mullen owned Nutt.

Eric Nies Grind Time
South Carolina will be bad...our OOC will be easy aside from BYU. It doesn't look like Kentucky will be getting very good under Stoops. Arkansas may be pretty dreadful next year. LSU and Alabama will definitely be good. Ole Miss will drop off, but I am not sure by how much. Auburn and A&M are very up in the air...not sure which direction they will go. They have two coaches on the hot seat.

farmdawg1
6-6 is possible...OM has recruited better young talent that can play right away compared to us, probably the best QB in the SEC and they're playing at home...odds will in their favor to win that one.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2015, 01:33 PM

We were rebuilding at every position except QB and receiver. How is that not a rebuilding year?

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2015, 01:34 PM

In Oxford and they have recruited well. They also seem to really enjoy beating the shit out of us where Mullen looked like he couldn't give a shit the last couple of years.

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2015, 01:38 PM
We were rebuilding at every position except QB and receiver. How is that not a rebuilding year?

Our Oline have all been in the program for at least 3 years. This isn't rebuilding. We had Market and Redmond go down but starting the year we basically had our entire secondary back with LBs that had a lot of experience. We lost nothing at WR but lost 1 RB where we have had a 1,000 yard rusher for the last umpteen years.

Blackout
11-30-2015, 01:41 PM

So every year you have seniors play the next year will be a rebuilding year***