PDA

View Full Version : You want to recruit like Ole Miss? Mark Hudspeth is your guy.....

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 07:29 PM
He's the MSU version of Hugh Freeze. The guy that wants to be at MSU and will stay there no matter what, due to his passion for the place. Plus, he now has the in-roads needed into the most underrated state in the union for football talent. And, he has ties in Alabama. He's the guy for that. How is his coaching? Who knows.

If not, Mullen and the equivalent is about as good as it's gonna get. To change a program permanently, you have to have a good coach stay for a long time, THEN you start getting better recruits. Or you play the pay game like Ole Miss. If Mullen leaves, those of you wanting Herman or similar may as well go jump in the Tenn-Tom, that sh*t ain't happening. It's either Hud or we roll the dice on another coordinator, and start the process all over again.

I personally hope Mullen stays and continues to build the program. Just because Ole Miss paid a bunch of mercenaries to come help them go on a 2-year run of 9-3, does not make me change my mind on that.

I hope after you all calm down after a few days, you start to see the big picture. I know emotions are ruling the day right now, but d*mn.

And for the record, I'm not completely happy with Mullen, it definitely seemed like the 1998 Egg Bowl last night - at least the distraction part. We'll see if that was the case, or their talent is just that much better.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 07:34 PM
You hire a guy that can cheat and not get caught. Also, I prefer my coaches to not have "rages".

msstate7
11-29-2015, 07:39 PM
When does ULL expect a decision from the ncaa? No way he'd be considered until there's a ruling

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
He's the MSU version of Hugh Freeze. The guy that wants to be at MSU and will stay there no matter what, due to his passion for the place. Plus, he now has the in-roads needed into the most underrated state in the union for football talent. And, he has ties in Alabama. He's the guy for that. How is his coaching? Who knows.

If not, Mullen and the equivalent is about as good as it's gonna get. To change a program permanently, you have to have a good coach stay for a long time, THEN you start getting better recruits. Or you play the pay game like Ole Miss. If Mullen leaves, those of you wanting Herman or similar may as well go jump in the Tenn-Tom, that sh*t ain't happening. It's either Hud or we roll the dice on another coordinator, and start the process all over again.

I personally hope Mullen stays and continues to build the program. Just because Ole Miss paid a bunch of mercenaries to come help them go on a 2-year run of 9-3, does not make me change my mind on that.

I hope after you all calm down after a few days, you start to see the big picture. I know emotions are ruling the day right now, but d*mn.

And for the record, I'm not completely happy with Mullen, it definitely seemed like the 1998 Egg Bowl last night - at least the distraction part. We'll see if that was the case, or their talent is just that much better.

Good post and that is exactly what we will have to do if Mullen leaves, start over. I'll add, we SUCK at cheating. We always have. Some of the reasons for that are beyond our control but it is what it is. The approach we are taking may not placate the win yesterday crowd but it's the right one for us. We need to hold on to Mullen.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
You hire a guy that can cheat and not get caught. Also, I prefer my coaches to not have "rages".
Hud's the only guy you're going to find that fits that role. I'm not sure I want to go to go the Ole Miss route anyway. Their judgement will come soon enough. Look, they played the game to the best of their ability, and all they have is two 9-3 seasons.....one where they got demolished in a Big 6 bowl, the other where they lost to their red-headed step-child little brother commuter school. What's the point? We out-did them last year doing things the right way.

t45fixer
11-29-2015, 07:48 PM
The reason we can't cheat. Is because these asshats going running to closet Bears to make purchases for athletes

Coach34
11-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Hudspeth has NCAA issues. He has missed his window at State

yjnkdawg
11-29-2015, 07:59 PM
The reason we can't cheat. Is because these asshats going running to closet Bears to make purchases for athletes

We can't play the recruiting money game, with our current compliance policies and director , that the MSU Administration wants. You would need a lawyer, that is well versed in the ins and outs of recruiting and knows the loopholes. Preferably a former NCAA Compliance Office/ Investigator.

Saltydog
11-29-2015, 08:02 PM
IMMEDIATELY improve our recruiting.

Bothrops
11-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Hud would recruit better than Mullen, but I bet he wouldn't win anymore games.

msstate7
11-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Is hud in danger of a show cause?

Pollodawg
11-29-2015, 08:08 PM

Who would you get to replace Dan? Agreed. Hud is done in any big time coaching.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Is hud in danger of a show cause?

Those were some pretty serious charges the NCAA leveled. It wouldn't be a surprise. No one will even consider him till that stuff is over.

t45fixer
11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
He'll everyone turns us in and we find out there Bears.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Hud would recruit better than Mullen, but I bet he wouldn't win anymore games.
Exactly - if he did it the best it could be done....he'd be Freeze. Probably 9-3.

Mullen went 10-2 LAST SEASON....and now nobody even cares.

I say build the program.....don't take shortcuts. The cheating stuff doesn't pay in the long run.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Whittingham is the only one I can honestly say right now because I'm familier with him plus I simply havent researched enough of other candidates. I am very impressed with Southern's coach- but not enough info yet on him. His offense looks great but what about his other attributes? We'll know by lunch at the latest tomorrow on what Mullen is really doing- and if we have to start looking I'll do more research.

Quaoarsking
11-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Whittingham is the only one I can honestly say right now because I'm familier with him plus I simply havent researched enough of other candidates. I am very impressed with Southern's coach- but not enough info yet on him. His offense looks great but what about his other attributes? We'll know by lunch at the latest tomorrow on what Mullen is really doing- and if we have to start looking I'll do more research.

Check out Philip Montgomery. You'll fall in love with him like I have.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Exactly - if he did it the best it could be done....he'd be Freeze. Probably 9-3.

Mullen went 10-2 LAST SEASON....and now nobody even cares.

I say build the program.....don't take shortcuts. The cheating stuff doesn't pay in the long run.

10-3 and lost 3 of last 4. I think people have dug behind the numbers and realized we haven't won many games as underdogs. Almost anyone can win 5 games with our schedule.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:25 PM
10-3 and lost 3 of last 4. I think people have dug behind the numbers and realized we haven't won many games as underdogs. Almost anyone can win 5 games with our schedule.
Haven't lost many as favorites either. Goes both ways.

Losing last night wasn't an embarrassment. Losing to Memphis, NE Louisiana, Maine and Louisiana Tech is.

Political Hack
11-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Haven't lost many as favorites either. Goes both ways.

Someone posted this number earlier and I didn't double check it, but they said he's won 13 division games in 7 years. That's brutal and we'll never win the freaking West at that rate. That said, you still don't can a guy for going to bowls every year and exceeding press expectations the last two seasons. He needs to beat OM, sure, but that's not what define success ultimately in our program.

I love Hud, but he's not an option with a potential show cause.

J Paul Ronvonski III
11-29-2015, 08:31 PM
To go. He has in roads in MS, LA, TN and AL on recruiting. All of the Ncaa stuff is water under the bridge for him.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2015, 08:32 PM

I like Whittingham, but I'm not sure he's the answer. I view our greater issue as a recruiting problem than an Xs and Os coaching problem.

How can Whittingham, a guy that's been in Utah, help our recruiting issues?

I just don't see Whitingham bringing anything more to the table than Mullen. Regardless of what players are out of position, we lost to Bama and Ole Miss because they have horses on their roster that we don't have. That's the main problem.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Someone posted this number earlier and I didn't double check it, but they said he's won 13 division games in 7 years. That's brutal and we'll never win the freaking West at that rate. That said, you still don't can a guy for going to bowls every year and exceeding press expectations the last two seasons. He needs to beat OM, sure, but that's not what define success ultimately in our program.

I saw that too but I don't think it matters. All that matters is where we've been and where we're going. Everything WAS fine until we came out flat and disinterested at home against our rival. For that, we need answers. But overall, we should be happy.

I realize Hud isn't likely to be a candidate. My point was that he's the guy if you want to take the Ole Miss route to success.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
I'd like to think we're passed Hud as an option. No offense, but his recruiting radius would be more limited and has baggage as stated above.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 08:58 PM
I'd like to think we're passed Hud as an option. No offense, but his recruiting radius would be more limited and has baggage as stated above.
I think you'd find out we are not. No elite coach would want to come here to follow up Mullen, unless it was a retread.

Behrdawg
11-29-2015, 09:12 PM
When will our fans realize that we've had coaches willing to "play the game". See my post on Bracky Brett.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 09:22 PM
When will our fans realize that we've had coaches willing to "play the game". See my post on Bracky Brett.
Sure we have, and we end up on probation or firing those coaches.

Again, cheating isn't the answer to our woes, at least not the blatant Ole Miss stuff. I know some of it will go on regardless.

Blackout
11-29-2015, 09:23 PM
We can't cheat because our cigar boys are pussies. They don't know how to shut up and do what's good for the program for its own sake. "Hey look how I'm doing this" public public public can't keep shit quiet.

Ronald Reagan said something along the lines of "greatness can be accomplished so long as you don't care who gets the credit".. This is the difference between us and them. Our cigar boys are the worst in the history of cigar boys.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 09:33 PM
I like Whittingham, but I'm not sure he's the answer. I view our greater issue as a recruiting problem than an Xs and Os coaching problem.

How can Whittingham, a guy that's been in Utah, help our recruiting issues?

I just don't see Whitingham bringing anything more to the table than Mullen. Regardless of what players are out of position, we lost to Bama and Ole Miss because they have horses on their roster that we don't have. That's the main problem.

because he is smart enough to keep Hughes and Brian Johnson- while also adding Dennis Erickson as his RB coach. He would make sure he had the recruiters necessary.

Bullybaroo
11-29-2015, 10:02 PM
I for one hope Dan stays and continues to make us relevant in the West. I have no problem with 9 or 10 wins a year with him running the show. However, if he leaves for another job why wouldn't we go after Fedora at UNC. He has proven himself to be a winner at two D-1 schools, has some Mississippi recruiting inroads and can recruit with some success nationally. If he comes he will likely bring a staff with him that includes Chizik as DC. The most attractive thing I see is that his salary is just south of $2,000,000 a year, certainly a figure that we could easily increase. He has become a name coach and could make us look like a player in the coaching carousel. Second choice would be Monken.

Dawg61
11-30-2015, 01:34 AM
We can't cheat because our cigar boys are pussies. They don't know how to shut up and do what's good for the program for its own sake. "Hey look how I'm doing this" public public public can't keep shit quiet.

Ronald Reagan said something along the lines of "greatness can be accomplished so long as you don't care who gets the credit".. This is the difference between us and them. Our cigar boys are the worst in the history of cigar boys.

Devineer and Bond are cigar boys? You're confused.

bluelightstar
11-30-2015, 01:46 AM

Holy crap, I didn't check this either but if it's accurate, that would make him what 13/39 against the SEC West? That is horrifyingly bad.

HancockCountyDog
11-30-2015, 01:59 AM
Holy crap, I didn't check this either but if it's accurate, that would make him what 13/39 against the SEC West? That is horrifyingly bad.

13-26 in sec west games. Eight of those wins are against the bears and hogs.

MarketingBully
11-30-2015, 02:32 AM
Hud's the only guy you're going to find that fits that role. I'm not sure I want to go to go the Ole Miss route anyway. Their judgement will come soon enough. Look, they played the game to the best of their ability, and all they have is two 9-3 seasons.....one where they got demolished in a Big 6 bowl, the other where they lost to their red-headed step-child little brother commuter school. What's the point? We out-did them last year doing things the right way.

They will get demolished in another Big 6 bowl this year too. Odds are good they will face Baylor in the Sugar Bowl. Baylor will shred their defense.

was21
11-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Pretty low expectations when you start looking at Hudspeth

Dawgtini
11-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Croom couldn't.