PDA

View Full Version : OK if Mullen stays how do we improve recruiting?

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 05:56 PM
I think what Dan needs is a huge amount of help in recruiting! We as a fan base need to help improve the image of MSU, we have to battle the idiots from Oxford who try to run everything tied to MSU down.

We know MSU is a great place, how do we do a better job of selling it to recruits?

What suggestions do you guys have to help recruiting?

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Drag a potato on a string?

On second thought, we'd probably have better luck with beer***

AROB44
11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$

Statefan
11-29-2015, 06:05 PM
I think the major emphasis has to be on out of state recruiting. In the last 4-5 years we have done a pretty good job splitting the top 10 in this state, and even taking more than half in some years. I think when all is said and done, we will have 4 or 5 of the top 10 in state this year as well.

We rarely go into Alabama or Louisiana and steal a kid that has serious interest from Bama, Auburn, or LSU. That has worked for us in respect to Dak and Robinson and Derunnya, but I would love to be on some of these more highly sought after guys

Mullen has made an emphasis recruiting in Georgia, and I hope we continue to do so this year with the volatility provided by coaching changes. ALSO WE NEED LINEMAN

msstate7
11-29-2015, 06:11 PM
I think the major emphasis has to be on out of state recruiting. In the last 4-5 years we have done a pretty good job splitting the top 10 in this state, and even taking more than half in some years. I think when all is said and done, we will have 4 or 5 of the top 10 in state this year as well.

We rarely go into Alabama or Louisiana and steal a kid that has serious interest from Bama, Auburn, or LSU. That has worked for us in respect to Dak and Robinson and Derunnya, but I would love to be on some of these more highly sought after guys

Mullen has made an emphasis recruiting in Georgia, and I hope we continue to do so this year with the volatility provided by coaching changes. ALSO WE NEED LINEMAN

Need to pick up one of richt's assistant coaches for recruiting in Georgia... Be nice if we could somehow get Pruitt (long shot). Are Georgia's oline and secondary coaches well thought of?

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 06:13 PM
If you were Stricklin, would you hire a young staff of say 3 or 4 pr people who's sole job was to put MSU out there and combat the negatives that are inaccurately mentioned in the media and social media relms? I think it would be a cheap way to combat some of the negatives that are spewed about MSU.

We all know that the media bias for Oxford and UNM is all BS. It was propagated by UM and said so many times that it became the wide spread belief of many that don't know better.

We need a department that props up the truths about us, while tearing down the fabricated BS that is said about UM.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2015, 06:16 PM
There are really only two ways to step up recruiting. One is to do what those up the road do. Our history says that is a quick fix and short lived option only for us because we WILL get popped. I don't know if we are just bad at it or if there are other reasons but that is FACT. The other is to continue to post winning seasons and go to bowls over the LONG term. That is the road we are on.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2015, 06:17 PM
This is the right question

For starters, so we don't cheat, Mullen needs to become incredibly more agressive with transfers and talented players that get kicked off their former program.

If there's one thing Mullen has done a great job of, it's building a solid culture of hard workers. With that culture, you should be able to ass some risky players and they'll conform. Belichek is the master of this.

msstate7
11-29-2015, 06:22 PM
This is the right question

For starters, so we don't cheat, Mullen needs to become incredibly more agressive with transfers and talented players that get kicked off their former program.

If there's one thing Mullen has done a great job of, it's building a solid culture of hard workers. With that culture, you should be able to ass some risky players and they'll conform. Belichek is the master of this.
Not a great recruiter, but good developer... Now add in aggressively recruit transfers... Oh yeah, Andy Kennedy! If Dan does start going hard after transfers, we have the football version of Andy Kennedy.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Need to pick up one of richt's assistant coaches for recruiting in Georgia... Be nice if we could somehow get Pruitt (long shot). Are Georgia's oline and secondary coaches well thought of?

Tracy Rocker could be available, would be a huge recruiting hire in GA.

Statefan
11-29-2015, 06:26 PM
We need another Brewster. But this time actually pay and keep him

Mjoelner34
11-29-2015, 06:28 PM
We need another Brewster. But this time actually pay and keep him

We had one in our lap last year and now he's at LSU.

Mjoelner34
11-29-2015, 06:33 PM
I think what Dan needs is a huge amount of help in recruiting! We as a fan base need to help improve the image of MSU, we have to battle the idiots from Oxford who try to run everything tied to MSU down.

We know MSU is a great place, how do we do a better job of selling it to recruits?

What suggestions do you guys have to help recruiting?

Wait! You mean the black jerseys aren't working? **

Bothrops
11-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Ole Miss is not any better of a program than State. Just convincing the media of that would improve recruiting alone.

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Ole Miss is not any better of a program than State. Just convincing the media of that would improve recruiting alone.

See, this is my point exactly. What suggestions do you have to combat the negative image ( that we know isn't true ) that UM has been successful in promoting about MSU.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Last night, proved otherwise. That was an asskicking at home. Don't blame the media for pumping up a bear team that actually beats good teams, while we get beat by them.

Freeze is 13-11 against the SEC West in four seasons.

In seven seasons, Mullen has 13 total SEC West wins.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 06:44 PM
See, this is my point exactly. What suggestions do you have to combat the negative image ( that we know isn't true ) that UM has been successful in promoting about MSU.

Beat teams that matter, not Kentucky or teams that are having train wreck seasons.

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Freeze is 13-11 against the SEC West in four seasons.

In seven seasons, Mullen has 13 total SEC West wins.

Yikes....there is no way to spin that shit. We're getting owned. Period.

PassInterference
11-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Ole Miss's hype is based on crootin stars.

All paths lead to crootin.

IMissJack
11-29-2015, 06:51 PM
We have NO positive reporting from in state media. We need to pay for some beat writers that will portray us correctly, and quit giving press passes to the obvious anti MSU people.

Quaoarsking
11-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Any chance we could bring Tim Brewster back? Maybe as TE coach/Co-OC/Assistant HC?

dawg27
11-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Ole Miss's hype is based on crootin stars.

All paths lead to crootin.

U right but i noticed all the top croots in the nation if u look they all have ole miss on ther list to visit. I am not saying they will get all of them but they sure try, and states name is on none of them, it is like we try. We try to get the ones in state,but where is that got us we are ranked 40th.

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Beat teams that matter, not Kentucky or teams that are having train wreck seasons.

HCD, I agree with you on last night. I'm talking big picture, Ole Miss is not a better program than us, they have out done us in the last two yrs but as a program they aren't above us.

yjnkdawg
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
There are really only two ways to step up recruiting. One is to do what those up the road do. Our history says that is a quick fix and short lived option only for us because we WILL get popped. I don't know if we are just bad at it or if there are other reasons but that is FACT. The other is to continue to post winning seasons and go to bowls over the LONG term. That is the road we are on.

Ole Miss has been playing the recruiting game since back in the Vaught era, so their lawyer big money boosters are well versed in this. THey have just stepped it up to a national level since Freeze (or maybe Oregeron) became the coach. Do we have the lawyers do this? I don't know, but somebody would have to convince Pres. Keenum that there would have to be a drastic change in our compliance policies and get a new head of compliance. Preferably a former NCAA Compliance Officer who knows the ends and outs and the loopholes in recruiting.

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 07:46 PM
1 - Innovate, specifically with the offensive line
2 - Utilize the JUCOs more effectively
3 - Continue our great fan support

Bullybaroo
11-29-2015, 10:17 PM
We need to isolate and publicize special interest stories that paint us in a favorable light. Use our media department to showcase the campus and facilities and flood streaming sites with video. Start a national media campaign on all the reasons a student athlete should attend MSU. Send these videos to the recruits and their parents and do everything within our power to get them on campus for some type of visit.

Fred Garvin
11-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Ole Miss has been playing the recruiting game since back in the Vaught era, so their lawyer big money boosters are well versed in this. THey have just stepped it up to a national level since Freeze (or maybe Oregeron) became the coach. Do we have the lawyers do this? I don't know, but somebody would have to convince Pres. Keenum that there would have to be a drastic change in our compliance policies and get a new head of compliance. Preferably a former NCAA Compliance Officer who knows the ends and outs and the loopholes in recruiting.

So let's fire Bracky right after we get our ass kicked by one of the biggest cheaters in college football. Nobody would suspect a thing **********

Taog Redloh
11-29-2015, 10:26 PM
We need to isolate and publicize special interest stories that paint us in a favorable light. Use our media department to showcase the campus and facilities and flood streaming sites with video. Start a national media campaign on all the reasons a student athlete should attend MSU. Send these videos to the recruits and their parents and do everything within our power to get them on campus for some type of visit.
Duh? I would think every school in the nation is already doing this.

maroonmania
11-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Did Derrick Brown actually make it for the Egg Bowl? Probably only hurt us with that showing but it would be good to know that our staff at least got him on campus.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-29-2015, 10:46 PM
We have NO positive reporting from in state media. We need to pay for some beat writers that will portray us correctly, and quit giving press passes to the obvious anti MSU people.

Damn Straight about this but the preseption problem is a regional/national one. I'm all for kicking the anti-MSU SOB's off campus and getting our own. Been saying this for years now.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Tracy Rocker could be available, would be a huge recruiting hire in GA.

Absolutely Rocker and or Pruitt would be solid hires for us....Problem with Pruitt would be he and Dan's personalities are similar and I think they would clash big time.

yjnkdawg
11-29-2015, 11:00 PM
U right but i noticed all the top croots in the nation if u look they all have ole miss on ther list to visit. I am not saying they will get all of them but they sure try, and states name is on none of them, it is like we try. We try to get the ones in state,but where is that got us we are ranked 40th.

You have to play the recruiting game ($$$$). Those top recruits haven't visited OM, becasue they love OM and the Grove.

MafiaDawg
11-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Have yall noticed how much the Bearshark fans tweet at recruits? I know it's lame as shit but I swear those 17 year olds eat it up. It works as much as I hate to admit it. They love the attention and I'm sure it helps to get them official visits. It's a concerted organized effort. We have nothing of sorts.

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 11:11 PM
It's gonna take an open checkbook. Gotta pay for good assitants. We have the money.

Tell Bracky to hit the road and replace him with a hard headed lawyer that knows how to push back if the NCAA starts asking questions.

Mullen needs to change his recruiting strategy. Start kissing their asses instead of telling them like it is.

Gotta get a network set up to help out these recruits and their families. Bag men need to shit or get off the pot.

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 11:21 PM

That would be cool...some kind of special package to send to recruits that includes videos, handbooks, shirts, etc. that highlight the good of Starkville, athletic facilities and the campus.