PDA

View Full Version : Who was better? Dan or Jackie?

cheewgumm
11-29-2015, 02:03 PM
I think Jackie. Those teams were better than our teams of late IMO.

Jackie knew that you had to have a great line. Then go from there.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 02:06 PM
I think Jackie. Those teams were better than our teams of late IMO.

Jackie knew that you had to have a great line. Then go from there.

Jackie was clearly better - he took us to Atlanta. Dan had a chance at it and he blew it. Had a chance at the Sugar Bowl and blew that too.

Blackout
11-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Kang

mstatefan91
11-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Has Dan already left? I just have missed the announcement

was21
11-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Mullen all the way

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Has Dan already left? I just have missed the announcement

IT'S COMING.

mstatefan91
11-29-2015, 02:10 PM
IT'S COMING.

Never been used in a more appropriate way

HoopsDawg
11-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Definitely Jackie. Remember that Mullen has had the benefit of 12 game schedules, extremely weak non-conference opponents, a million bowl games, and SEC network money which has really allowed us to close the gap facility wise. We went 7-4 one year under Jackie and didn't even make a bowl game.

Also, SEC west title is greater than anything Mullen accomplished.

PassInterference
11-29-2015, 02:13 PM
It comes down to the debate between being able to upset some teams vs never losing a game you shouldn't.

Mullen was steady Eddie. Jackie would make you pull your hair out losing to a Memphis or some such - then give you a chance or a W against Alabama.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Dan in a close debate. .605 win percentage vs .493 for Jackie while doing it in a stronger SEC compared to Jackie's years. The Atlanta trip is what makes it a close debate and carries a lot of weight. Dan running this offense in that time probably gets us to Atlanta as well. Overall program leader they both have significant contributions but Dan would be leaving us light years ahead of what Jackie left when he resigned.

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Here's a question, what happened to Jackie hanging out at our practices? I remember the first few yrs the Kang was always in attendance, the last few I haven't seen or heard of him being around the team much at all, did he have a falling out with the current staff?

confucius say
11-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Dan in a close debate. .605 win percentage vs .493 for Jackie while doing it in a stronger SEC compared to Jackie's years. The Atlanta trip is what makes it a close debate and carries a lot of weight. Dan running this offense in that time probably gets us to Atlanta as well. Overall program leader they both have significant contributions but Dan would be leaving us light years ahead of what Jackie left when he resigned.

This is the correct answer.

dawgs
11-29-2015, 02:33 PM
i would love to see dak + our WRs with a OL/running game and defense half as good as our 98-00 run under jackie.

AusTexDawg
11-30-2015, 11:21 AM
There were just as many frustrating things going on with various units on most of Jackie's teams as Dan's. 3 of Jackie's wins against 'Bama were against Dubose. I just don't see Jackie beating 2009-2015 Saban more than once. I think Dan would have at least two wins against those Dubose teams, if not more.

mic
11-30-2015, 11:40 AM
JWS wanted to be here.... And still has passion for the university ..
Not so sure about our current head coach..
Thats the biggest difference

NYDawg
11-30-2015, 11:40 AM
It comes down to the debate between being able to upset some teams vs never losing a game you shouldn't.

Mullen was steady Eddie. Jackie would make you pull your hair out losing to a Memphis or some such - then give you a chance or a W against Alabama.

^^^This. I'll add that Jackie's legacy is tarnished somewhat by the whole NCAA stupidity, which was hardly his doing. If Dan's ship starts sinking, it'll be because he's too stubborn to make some necessary changes and can't keep his agent from torpedoing the program while chasing dollar signs.

maroonmania
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM

The question is what would Jackie have done with all the support Dan has been given? Brand new facilities, bigger stadium with 60K+ crowds, bigger paychecks for assistants. We are a MUCH bigger time program now than when Jackie was here and most of that is due to better fan support and a much bigger budget due to the SEC money flow. When Jackie was here OOC wins were much tougher to get. Now, OOC wins outside the P5 are pretty much expected for every SEC team.

RiverCityDawg
11-30-2015, 11:46 AM

This, but I don't think it's that close. Some of you people forget that you wanted to run Jackie off around 94-95.

Really Clark?
11-30-2015, 11:58 AM
The question is what would Jackie have done with all the support Dan has been given? Brand new facilities, bigger stadium with 60K+ crowds, bigger paychecks for assistants. We are a MUCH bigger time program now than when Jackie was here and most of that is due to better fan support and a much bigger budget due to the SEC money flow. When Jackie was here OOC wins were much tougher to get. Now, OOC wins outside the P5 are pretty much expected for every SEC team.

A lot of that expansion and increased support is attributed to Mullen. But also we have a different environment in the AD'd office and administration. Honestly, Mullen would have been just as successful if not more so in Jackie's time, strickly with in the field play and running a much tighter cohesive program. He is very consistant and like it or not the negative years of Jackie are still on him as well for not watching the program. And like previously mentioned he was almost ran out of here before that great late 90's run that people only want to remember. Signing all of those duds from Arizona Western. And Jackie would have had a hard time in today's environment of coaches now being held responsible for graduation rates, etc. That is in the coaches contracts now and is a fireable offense as well sanctions from NCAA.