PDA

View Full Version : Good News/Bad News IF Mullen leaves....

CadaverDawg
11-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Bad News:

-We will likely have a few players transfer that knew they fit his system perfectly

-Our future QB's have looked good in backup duty, but they are a good fit for Dan's system. Can they be good in other systems?

-Although our current recruiting class is poor...we are expected to finish strong. So losing Dan would likely kill the potential for a good class, depending on who we get as a replacement, and how fast

-There are tons of desirable job openings, so getting a great hire isn't as much of a slam dunk as it would be in most typical years.

-Whether you "good riddance" folks realize it or not, Dan has done a ton for this program, and there is a much higher percentage chance that we take a big step back, than the percentage chance that we actually improve off of where he has us.

Good News:

-We have recruited pretty well at the skill positions of late...especially WR. So IF we were to get a HC with more of a passing attack, he would have a good bit to work with.

-We have a couple of QB's with cannons, so depending on the offense, we could be in good shape there too...IF they are willing to stay and not transfer. (They are not well known commodities, so they will probably stay)

-We have a lot of OL guys returning. They haven't been good this year, but there's a bunch of bodies. Again, something to work with for the new guy assuming the recruiting class sucks this year.

-We have the money to pay someone well, and the SEC is a desirable spot

-We have a good enough mixture of talent at both skill and trench positions, to where the jjob could be attractive for a variety of styles of coaches. Not like we're a Pro Style that can only hope to get a Pro Style....we have the personnel to hire a Spread Pass or Spread Run coach it seems.

This is just a few off the top of my head. What would you add to these?

shoeless joe
11-29-2015, 01:19 PM
It certainly appeared last nite that Mullen had mailed it in; although if dak doesn't fumble we're prolly looking at a different game. But if dan has mailed it in then there is no negative with him leaving. I think a high energy recruiter could actually solidify some of those big time recruits that aren't in the boat yet.

I think we could make a solid/really good hire but things need to happen quickly.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 01:22 PM
The only risk is making a dud hire. If Strick makes a good hire, there is no reason to believe that Dan leaving is a win/win. Whoever the next guy is will be hungry to do well, which will be a refreshing change from Dan's complacency. Most offenses these days are more spread-run, so odds are the personnel here will be a good fit for the next guy.

Yes, Dan has done a lot for the program. He's done a good job. But we're about to take a big step back regardless - we need to limit the damage by going another direction.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 01:24 PM
On the money point, we can bring someone in at ~$3.3M and significantly upgrade the pay for assistant coaches which is desperately needed. A new guy would need to prove himself, this is the time to restructure and better balance the pay for our coaches.

CadaverDawg
11-29-2015, 01:26 PM
On the money point, we can bring someone in at ~$3.3M and significantly upgrade the pay for assistant coaches which is desperately needed. A new guy would need to prove himself, this is the time to restructure and better balance the pay for our coaches.

I totally agree with this as a "good news" point.

djaymsu5
11-29-2015, 01:27 PM
The only risk is making a dud hire. If Strick makes a good hire, there is no reason to believe that Dan leaving is a win/win. Whoever the next guy is will be hungry to do well, which will be a refreshing change from Dan's complacency. Most offenses these days are more spread-run, so odds are the personnel here will be a good fit for the next guy.

Yes, Dan has done a lot for the program. He's done a good job. But we're about to take a big step back regardless - we need to limit the damage by going another direction.

This^^^^

CadaverDawg
11-29-2015, 01:37 PM

There is absolutely nothing to suggest we're about to "take a big step back regardless". That is nothing but your opinion. I thought the same thing a few years ago, but Dan was able to turn it around and win 10 and 8 games in the next two years. You nor I have any clue that he can't do the same thing with Fitz/Staley that he did with Dak. None.

And you just acted like "as long as Stricklin doesn't make a dud hire..." as if that is very unlikely.....yet you and everyone else must have forgotten this guy hired Rick Ray. Yes, he hired Howland too...but it's not like his hiring record is unblemished. We are at the peak of our history in football...so a coach taking us back down to 7 or less wins per year is much more likely than a coach that either continues our best run ever or actually PROPELS it to 9-10 win regular seasons as the norm. That is simply a stretch to think we're likely to hire a guy that turns us into a consistent 9-10+ win team each year.

I feel like we've gotten spoiled, and we have too many people once again basing everything on what Ole Miss is doing, and it may end up costing us.

I am 100% confident that if we had gotten rolled by Arkansas but beaten Ole Miss by one point, there would be nothing but praise for Mullen today. It would be about how he took a predicted 5-6 win team, and exceeded expectations by winning 8 games and beating Ole Miss.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 01:40 PM
I am 100% confident that if we had gotten rolled by Arkansas but beaten Ole Miss by one point, there would be nothing but praise for Mullen today. It would be about how he took a predicted 5-6 win team, and exceeded expectations by winning 8 games and beating Ole Miss.

I agree with this and would be much happier today. Even competing with Ole Miss last night and losing down the stretch would have been tolerable. We are who we are.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 01:48 PM
There is absolutely nothing to suggest we're about to "take a big step back regardless". That is nothing but your opinion. I thought the same thing a few years ago, but Dan was able to turn it around and win 10 and 8 games in the next two years. You nor I have any clue that he can't do the same thing with Fitz/Staley that he did with Dak. None.

And you just acted like "as long as Stricklin doesn't make a dud hire..." as if that is very unlikely.....yet you and everyone else must have forgotten this guy hired Rick Ray. Yes, he hired Howland too...but it's not like his hiring record is unblemished. We are at the peak of our history in football...so a coach taking us back down to 7 or less wins per year is much more likely than a coach that either continues our best run ever or actually PROPELS it to 9-10 win regular seasons as the norm. That is simply a stretch to think we're likely to hire a guy that turns us into a consistent 9-10+ win team each year.

I feel like we've gotten spoiled, and we have too many people once again basing everything on what Ole Miss is doing, and it may end up costing us.

Not by me. It's not about winning eight games, or seven, or even five. It's about the overall health of the program. Are we getting better? Are we competitive? Are we recruiting well? Do we have quality coaches on staff developing our kids? This isn't about losing to Ole Miss. It's about not being competitive. It's about sleepwalking. It's about games being over at halftime. You guys want to celebrate an 8-4 record, but who did we beat? Arkansas? We gave up 50 points in that game and had to block a chipshot field goal at the end. Auburn? They didn't know who to play at QB and their best running back wasn't getting reps at the time. Louisiana Tech? Their best RB didn't play. Who else? Kentucky? Missouri? Give me an effing break. Yes, we are going to take a big step back because our schedule will be more difficult, and there's no reason to expect our offensive line to suddenly get better, or that we're suddenly going to start recruiting at an SECW-level. Yes, there is a risk that Strick will make a dud hire. That's why I said it - I didn't diminish it. But we can do better, and we shouldn't just be satisfied with status quo because we're afraid to try.