PDA

View Full Version : Question for the FIRE MULLEN people

Statefan
11-29-2015, 12:13 PM
I don't think Mullen leaving for another job would be the end of the world... We would have plenty of money to throw at an up and coming guy. I am NOT stuck in the mentally that our job sucks and that we are incapable of hiring another good coach. Mullen is a good coach, and there are many good coaches out there. I am just not sure we would be able to surpass where we are at now

But FIRING Mullen would be crazy. He has won 18 games in the last 2 years after all (Croom won 21 in his whole tenure!). He has to make major staff or philosophical changes to the way we recruit. I think this is something we can all agree with - turn the heat up on him for that. Hevesy, Sallach, and Townsend are the main ones under the microscope.

If you fire Mullen after 18 (potentially 19) wins in two years, doesn't that make our expectations seem kind of unrealistic? We won 18 in 2yrs with Sherril as well, but I highly doubt we have a third instance of that anywhere in our history. How many years does a new guy have before we are demanding 9 wins a year or else he should leave too?

I say this knowing full and well that there is no way Mullen gets fired, and that I have full confidence in getting a good coach if he leaves on his own. I just want to a consensus on where our expectations for this program should be at this point

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I just want him to pack his stuff and leave, he appears to want to. I would never support firing a coach after an 8 win season, even if the 8 wins were very weak (as ours are). No way he can be fired. Assistants on the other hand...

I seen it dawg
11-29-2015, 12:16 PM
This is so old. No one has said to fire Mullen. Move on.

TrapGame
11-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Mullen wants out. Why can't people realize this? It's obvious now that he's wanted out for a few years. Let him go.

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 12:40 PM
I don't think Mullen leaving for another job would be the end of the world... We would have plenty of money to throw at an up and coming guy. I am NOT stuck in the mentally that our job sucks and that we are incapable of hiring another good coach. Mullen is a good coach, and there are many good coaches out there. I am just not sure we would be able to surpass where we are at now

But FIRING Mullen would be crazy. He has won 18 games in the last 2 years after all (Croom won 21 in his whole tenure!). He has to make major staff or philosophical changes to the way we recruit. I think this is something we can all agree with - turn the heat up on him for that. Hevesy, Sallach, and Townsend are the main ones under the microscope.

If you fire Mullen after 18 (potentially 19) wins in two years, doesn't that make our expectations seem kind of unrealistic? We won 18 in 2yrs with Sherril as well, but I highly doubt we have a third instance of that anywhere in our history. How many years does a new guy have before we are demanding 9 wins a year or else he should leave too?

I say this knowing full and well that there is no way Mullen gets fired, and that I have full confidence in getting a good coach if he leaves on his own. I just want to a consensus on where our expectations for this program should be at this point

It's not all about wins and losses. Mullen is exposed as a poor gameday coach, who will thus never win the West. We have a good chance to replace him with someone without that limitation.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:46 PM
It's not all about wins and losses. Mullen is exposed as a poor gameday coach, who will thus never win the West. We have a good chance to replace him with someone without that limitation.

Who is this unlimited coach you speak of. Because I would want him!

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Who is this unlimited coach you speak of. Because I would want him!

I didnt say unlimited. I said without that particular limitation.

defiantdog
11-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Mullen will leave on his own. He's lost the boosters though, which is worse than losing the AD.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-29-2015, 12:48 PM
I didnt say unlimited. I said without that particular limitation.

And that person is?

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:51 PM
And that person is?

this.

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 01:02 PM
And that person is?

He just got outcoached for the 3rd time by a former HS girls BB coach. There are tons of better coaches out there. Its hard to believe we cant find one that can at least recruit as well as Mullen has. If you dont think we can replace Mullen or do better than you have seriously overvalued his coaching ability.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 01:08 PM
He just got outcoached for the 3rd time by a former HS girls BB coach. There are tons of better coaches out there. Its hard to believe we cant find one that can at least recruit as well as Mullen has. If you dont think we can replace Mullen or do better than you have seriously overvalued his coaching ability.

So you don't know of one... just spouting off.

Noted

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 01:15 PM
So you don't know of one... just spouting off.

Noted

Many have already been mentioned on this board. No need to rehash it. You cant address the reality of the situation, so you resort to playing games. Noted.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 01:20 PM
The reality? LOL... ok

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 01:29 PM
The reality? LOL... ok

Yes, the reality that Mullen is a poor gameday coach that get circles coached around him on the reg. Do you disagree?

Coach007
11-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes, the reality that Mullen is a poor gameday coach that get circles coached around him on the reg. Do you disagree?

I do! I think he has done an exceptional job with the talent he has. Bama beat us last year because of a talent gap. An OL is all that kept us from returning to that this year.

We do need to improve the level of talent. BUT we did extremely well last year with a walk on and a few 2 stars out of high school. It's not coaching. It's recruiting. There is a difference.

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 01:42 PM
I do! I think he has done an exceptional job with the talent he has. Bama beat us last year because of a talent gap. An OL is all that kept us from returning to that this year.

We do need to improve the level of talent. BUT we did extremely well last year with a walk on and a few 2 stars out of high school. It's not coaching. It's recruiting. There is a difference.

Then we fundamentally disagree. I do think he could be a good gameday coach, but I think he doeasnt do well when he has no one to be accountable to, he doesnt own mistakes and thus doesnt learn and adjust. He did well the 1st half of last year becUse no one had seen the Dak offense yet. The SEC adjusted within a few games, but a season and a half later, Dan still hasnt adjusted in kind. Hes a poor coach. It will gwt worse, the zone read is old old news but Dak and Ross have obscured that this year.

Really Clark?
11-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Then we fundamentally disagree. I do think he could be a good gameday coach, but I think he doeasnt do well when he has no one to be accountable to, he doesnt own mistakes and thus doesnt learn and adjust. He did well the 1st half of last year becUse no one had seen the Dak offense yet. The SEC adjusted within a few games, but a season and a half later, Dan still hasnt adjusted in kind. Hes a poor coach. It will gwt worse, the zone read is old old news but Dak and Ross have obscured that this year.

Wait. You think he didn't adjust the offense this season compared to last? The zone read is old? Good thing we didn't run it much this year.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Wait. You think he didn't adjust the offense this season compared to last? The zone read is old? Good thing we didn't run it much this year.

You mean... don't say it.... man just let them believe what they want.

Dental Dawg33
11-29-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't always agree with ******* decisions during games, including last night, but I don't think it's fair to hang him for last night. Piss poor OL play and turnovers lost us the game. We gave them 14 points In turnovers, missed on 2 INTs of our own, one of which would have been a pick6, MGK fumbled the ball through a defenders arms back in to his own hands off the bounce (if been trying to duplicate this in my living room with a football and can't), and it didn't matter at the time but we let a perfectly executed onside kick roll right through B. Browns hands. You can't spot a conference opponent, let alone your instate rival who doesnt exactly have a scrub team, 14 points on turnovers and expect a good outcome. I'm as pissed as anyone, but we shit the bed and couldn't catch a break. Get focused, win the bowl game and send Dak out on a good note

Dental Dawg33
11-29-2015, 02:05 PM
Mullen's.....don't know why it put ******

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 02:05 PM

In some ways, but really just more passing plays and less zone read. Same playbook. We didnt come into the season prepared for that or we would have beaten LSU. What adjustments came, came late. And others, such as an alternative to Dak Power on short yardage possession plays, never came. And thats not even getring into personnel adjustments. There's also Dan's strong tendency to want to beat a team how he wants to beat them, rather than by attacking their weakness.

We will run more zone read next year. It wont be pretty.

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 02:16 PM
CDM's attitude last night, detached appearance, laughing after the failed onside kick etc sealed it for me. I'm ready for him to pack his suitcase and move on, I appreciate what he's done here but a lot of it was luck and good timing for him. The SEC and Seal money enabled us to expand, the excitement of winning our cupcake games for a few yrs in a row was the reason we started to sell out the seating. Mark my words, interest will start to wain if CDM remains the head coach.

It's time to get someone else to continue the excitement and improve on what we have accomplished over the last 7 yrs.
We are paying +$4 mil a year for a coach that is beating cupcakes while getting beat by teams that have a pulse.
I believe we could get at least the same results for a lot less money, personally I think $4 MPY is to much to pay a coach that has only beaten ONE team that's finished in the top 25 during his 7 year tenure.

PassInterference
11-29-2015, 02:36 PM
There are 2 kinds of threads on ED that should be locked: 1) Fire Dan threads, and 2) hiring a defensive HC threads.

PassInterference
11-29-2015, 02:36 PM
CDM's attitude last night, detached appearance, laughing after the failed onside kick etc sealed it for me.

I've read this comment multiple times.

How long have you guys been watching Dan? He is always nonchalant after getting blown out.

BoomBoom
11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't always agree with ******* decisions during games, including last night, but I don't think it's fair to hang him for last night. Piss poor OL play and turnovers lost us the game. We gave them 14 points In turnovers, missed on 2 INTs of our own, one of which would have been a pick6, MGK fumbled the ball through a defenders arms back in to his own hands off the bounce (if been trying to duplicate this in my living room with a football and can't), and it didn't matter at the time but we let a perfectly executed onside kick roll right through B. Browns hands. You can't spot a conference opponent, let alone your instate rival who doesnt exactly have a scrub team, 14 points on turnovers and expect a good outcome. I'm as pissed as anyone, but we shit the bed and couldn't catch a break. Get focused, win the bowl game and send Dak out on a good note

Other than a couple Dak Power plays that the whole world saw coming, I thought so too. I'm not sure if thats from a better called game, or just being used to the same shite now. Dear was money every touch, so of course he only got 5, which sadly is an improvement. Of all Mullen's bad losses, that one is probably on him the least, unless he truly does meddle too much on D.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
There are 2 kinds of threads on ED that should be locked: 1) Fire Dan threads, and 2) hiring a defensive HC threads.

And Hud as HC

Op4isabitch
11-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I've read this comment multiple times.

How long have you guys been watching Dan? He is always nonchalant after getting blown out.

And that's precicely what gets me so upset.