PDA

View Full Version : If Mullen is gone, do you go after offense or defensive head coach?

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2015, 09:42 AM
I love the fact that we have a great group of QBs now but defense wins championships typically. I don't think Mullen completely turns over the defense.

Saban seems to turnover the offense for the most part.

Blackout
11-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Go after a recruiting MF'er who can do things a HEAD COACH is supposed to do. Let his coordinators focus on that. He needs to be the guy who sets the standard. Manages the clock. Runs the program.

Coursesuper
11-29-2015, 10:00 AM
We have to go after a coach that is crooter first. I would prefer an offensive guy.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Well any coach in the SEC have to be a recruiter. It is very obvious that if you don't have the talent that you get blown out at home on senior day.

Every coach typically have either an emphasis on offense or defense.

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Offensive, all day every day. The whole "defense wins championships" cliche is old. It doesn't work that way now with all of these super-innovative offenses that pretty much guarantee at least 28 points per game.

Dawgface
11-29-2015, 10:10 AM
I really don't have a preference. Just a solid coach that can recruit.

BurgDawg
11-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Coach Hud is our freeze he loves state already and is a Mississippi guy

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 10:12 AM
I really don't have a preference. Just a solid coach that can recruit.

Or this. I'd be happy if the guy could haul in the big fish.

Dawgfan77
11-29-2015, 10:13 AM
If I were AD my five calls would be to Kyle Whittingham , Matt Wells, Mike Gundy, rich rod, and sonny dykes

War Machine Dawg
11-29-2015, 10:16 AM
If I were AD my five calls would be to Kyle Whittingham , Matt Wells, Mike Gundy, rich rod, and sonny dykes

I'd give a courtesy call to Dabo. Don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he'd actually be interested, but you never know if you don't ask. All he can say is no, then you move on to your list of realistic candidates.

Dawgfan77
11-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Coach Hud is our freeze he loves state already and is a Mississippi guy

4-7 this year and now has NCAA baggage. Love the guy but we arnt gonna touch HUD I would think

FISHDAWG
11-29-2015, 10:17 AM
I never want to go back to an anemic offense ... and for the first year after losing what we did on defense - Manny hasn't done a bad job

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 10:20 AM
This next hire is going to be bad guys, no way around it. We simply don't have the runway to hire anyone good and Stricklin is not going to roll the bones and go big, he'll play it safe and we'll end up with someone that appears to have a resume but is otherwise not very good. My prediction is that we'll hire a guy that's a worse recruiter than Dan is, try to shore him up with some of the existing staff, and we'll slide back to 5 - 7 territory for a while. I don't see a way out of this that includes us continuing the bowl streak or beating competitive teams for quite a while.

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 10:21 AM
I'd give a courtesy call to Dabo. Don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he'd actually be interested, but you never know if you don't ask. All he can say is no, then you move on to your list of realistic candidates.

Dabo would be so, so nice. That guy is always intense.

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 10:23 AM
This next hire is going to be bad guys, no way around it. We simply don't have the runway to hire anyone good and Stricklin is not going to roll the bones and go big, he'll play it safe and we'll end up with someone that appears to have a resume but is otherwise not very good. My prediction is that we'll hire a guy that's a worse recruiter than Dan is, try to shore him up with some of the existing staff, and we'll slide back to 5 - 7 territory for a while. I don't see a way out of this that includes us continuing the bowl streak or beating competitive teams for quite a while.

This worries me, too. Surely Strick won't Rick Ray this hire.....

Dawgfan77
11-29-2015, 10:30 AM
First we don't have a culture problem like basketball. Second we didn't fire Mullen he left for a better job. Third we were number 1 last year play in the sec and have now gone to 6 bowl games. Fourth we are paying 4mil. So this is nothin like the rick ray hire. We will have a lot of good candidates.

Blackout
11-29-2015, 10:34 AM
If Strick ****s this up we will be putting tarps over whole sections.

The fan base is in full tea party rebellion mode for good reason. Another Romney or Bush hire from Strick and we will stay home.

Coursesuper
11-29-2015, 10:35 AM

I can guarantee you the SS will not be making this hire.

Dan Dority
11-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Go after a recruiting MF'er who can do things a HEAD COACH is supposed to do. Let his coordinators focus on that. He needs to be the guy who sets the standard. Manages the clock. Runs the program.

Bingo! With a defensive mind

PassInterference
11-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Bingo! With a defensive mind

Offensive coaches have an easier time being successful than defensive coaches. Come up with a list of both types, compare them, and get back to me.

War Machine Dawg
11-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Offensive, all day every day. The whole "defense wins championships" cliche is old. It doesn't work that way now with all of these super-innovative offenses that pretty much guarantee at least 28 points per game.

This. In the day of overprotection of players, offense is exploding. And the dirty little secret is that it isn't really about protecting players, but increasing offense. Get an offensive guy who's going to light up the scoreboard.

Quaoarsking
11-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Anyone connected to Baylor, Oregon, or Urban Meyer would be great.

Bothrops
11-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Offense minded coach. This isn't 1999 or 2005 anymore. Unless you recruit like Bama, a defensive hc is going to fail in today's game and would be an absolute disaster at State.

Blackout
11-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Anyone connected to.... Urban Meyer would be great.

Well..... Not everyone

sandwolf
11-29-2015, 12:28 PM
I would hope we go after an offensive coach. I think it is easier for a defense to transition between coordinators, and since we typically have trouble holding onto successful coordinators, I think it is important that we have continuity on offense.

Sacrifice
11-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I want a coach that.
A: Plays his best players
B: Has his team ready for big games
C: Can recruit

AROB44
11-29-2015, 02:09 PM
I want a coach that.
A: Plays his best players
B: Has his team ready for big games
C: Can recruit

Hell....you can find these guys all day long right hear on ED.

Gatordog
11-29-2015, 02:40 PM
If Strick ****s this up we will be putting tarps over whole sections.

The fan base is in full tea party rebellion mode for good reason. Another Romney or Bush hire from Strick and we will stay home.

Nice Comparison I fully support and agree!!