PDA

View Full Version : I heard Chad Bumphis on BSR a few weeks ago say something

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 02:35 AM
About the Egg Bowl- he said that whoever wins that game is the team that simply "wants it more". This coming from a football player. So, not the opinion of a guy that works in a hospital. And that was WHAT WAS THE MOST disappointing thing to me about tonight- I don't believe we wanted it badly enough.

And I think that starts with Dan. I don't think he places the emphasis on the Egg Bowl that he should and certainly without question he doesn't place enough emphasis like he used to. Case in point? Well, we don't have the Egg Bowl countdown clock anymore- that per someone who attended the women's football clinic and when she asked Dan about it, Dan responded that "we had moved on to bigger things" as a program.

Also- and while these aren't reasons why we didn't win the Egg Bowl, I certainly believe that they show signs of a lack of "want to" on Dan and MSU's part:

Letting the team go home for Thanksgiving. Again, I know that is something that was highly disagreed upon in a long thread- however, we came out sloppy AGAIN. It just shows lack of focus on the game itself.

No Egg Bowl uniform. One thing that disappoints me a lot is the fact that for the past four years we do something special for the Egg Bowl to put an emphasis on the game. This year we half assedly throw on our white helmets and hand out gold pom-poms. Really Scott? We lose a couple of Egg Bowls and then we bitch out. How about figuring out a way to win next time rather than be half assed? And while again not a reason for a loss, but it does show lack of attention to the Egg Bowl.

The most concerning thing from a football standpoint to me is the fact that we were outhit and we lost the game physically. I think that is a reflection of the coaches. It's not just the Egg Bowl that this happened- Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M as well. It seems to me that we have very few players that are true leaders. Certainly there are without question some leaders such as Dak, Bear, Beniquez, Redmond, Fred Ross- but we do not have enough players that play with raw energy. It seems like we come out flat pretty much every game- no matter who it is. Troy was the exception and I think that was only because Dan knew Dak was sick. Dan runs off too many guys that play with emotion like Josh Robinson. If it's not choked out of them by their sophomore season that is. Devon Desper to me is an example of this. I saw him many times in high school and he was just as mean on the football field as anyone I had ever seen. He made Under Armour AA so it's not like it was just me pulling for the hometown kid here. He gets to MSU and now he looks totally different and not in a good way. It's more of a confusing way to me- because he just seems timid, confused, and at times just plain lost. Now I'm not singling Desper out even though I just did- because EVERY o-lineman we had this year seemed to be the same way to different degrees. Why is that? Yes, because Hevesey is awful, but in terms of lack of energy our entire TEAM for the most part lacks it at just about every position group. Dan has to understand and come to terms with the fact that football is an EMOTIONAL game. You can't have a team full of hard workin' good kids from Belzoni, MS that do everything that they are supposed to in practice and expect "the light to come on" on gameday. You need a few Josh Robinson's. We have some like Dontavian Lee, but he doesn't play in large part because of this because Dan doesn't like it.

Also, Dan HAS TO learn how to trust younger players that have talent. Malik Dear for all intents and purposes was our player of the game tonight. Why hasn't he gotten more touches? What about Aeris and Lee? Jamal Peters was underused at best. But the thing that is maddness is Dan starting upper classmen who aren't performing while benching a freshman for one mistake. See Zach Jackson and Kivon Coman pretty much all year- although I guess Coman had a good game against Mizzou. And then there are the scheme issues- like when we have trouble blocking, how often did we bring in Hutcherson or Justin Johnson to help with blocking? We don't really have a FB on the team- so why not use Shumpert there at times to assist with blocking more than we saw this year? Why do we ask Holloway to run up the middle ever? I think how we use our personnel compounds any recruiting issues we have because I would imagine it's quite rare for anyone- even Alabama to have all upper classmen. I'm sure that they even use true freshmen from time to time. People talk about our stars or lack thereof by our recruits names compared to Alabama- well those stars in our lineup go up if we play Peters, Dear, etc. more.

I see some people saying that Dan has done a lot, should get another chance, etc. BUT I ask those people- how would Dan have done without Dak? Dan pissed away his senior year, and I think it's going to take awhile for me to forgive that. His game management against LSU would have been a fireable offense for many coaches. We did not look prepared against Alabama or Ole Miss. We probably lose to Arkansas if Beni Brown hadn't basically forced his way into the the kick block team. Why wasn't he in that position on the kick block team all year? There's a lot that is left to be desired- and it will probably rear it's ugly head out even more if Dan does indeed come back.

We're not a team on the rise anymore- we have an arrogant coach who chokes the emotion out of our players and has been propped up by one of the best players in MSU history- and the best he could do is win 8 games because of his lack of creativity, hard headedness, and loyalty to failing assistants whom he refuses to fire and who shouldn't be coaching in the SEC.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 02:36 AM
TL,DR. read first part. if ur implying we lost cos we wanted it less you're dumb. no offense.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 02:40 AM
TL,DR. read first part. if ur implying we lost cos we wanted it less you're dumb. no offense.

FVCK YOU JOHNNY REB, your shit attitude makes you the DUMBEST MFer on this board. Asshol3.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 02:41 AM
We're not a team on the rise anymore- we have an arrogant coach who chokes the emotion out of our players and has been propped up by one of the best players in MSU history- and the best he could do is win 8 games because of his lack of creativity, hard headedness, and loyalty to failing assistants whom he refuses to fire and who shouldn't be coaching in the SEC.

This is why we're going to breathe a sigh of relief when Dan leaves next week... I think it's time.

Todd4State

Well then you are calling Chad Bumphis dumb too.

JohnnyQuid
FVCK YOU JOHNNY REB, your shit attitude makes you the DUMBEST MFer on this board. Asshol3.

<3 do I have a fanboy?

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 02:43 AM
Well then you are calling Chad Bumphis dumb too.

yes, I am. I JUST DID THE UNSPEAKABLE AND QUESTIONED AN ATHLETE TURNED SMALL AUDIENCE RADIO HOST

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 02:45 AM
This is why we're going to breathe a sigh of relief when Dan leaves next week... I think it's time.

I think it's time too. At least he realizes it's time too- I think. I know some people are scared about how we are going to replace Dan and find someone good, but the reality of the situation is we are either going to find somone worse, someone as good, or someone better. Two of those three possibilities are acceptable and worth rolling the dice.

I know we won 8 games- maybe 9 depending on unknown factors at this point- but we need to be ahead of the curve before things start to go downhill. Which unfortunately is where I think we are headed if Dan continues.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 02:47 AM
yes, I am. I JUST DID THE UNSPEAKABLE AND QUESTIONED AN ATHLETE TURNED SMALL AUDIENCE RADIO HOST

That's cool. Just saying that Bumphis has played in four Egg Bowls before and won three of them.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 02:48 AM
That's cool. Just saying that Bumphis has played in four Egg Bowls before and won three of them.

and won them all by "give a ****" alone. talent and scheme and turnovers be damned. if u want it more ull win.

sigh

Goldendawg
11-29-2015, 02:54 AM
I don't see a bowl victory this year if we prepare like we did against Northwestern and Ga Tech.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 02:56 AM
and won them all by "give a ****" alone. talent and scheme and turnovers be damned. if u want it more ull win.

sigh

His words not mine.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 02:58 AM

who's your replacement?

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 02:59 AM
His words not mine.

words u stand by and can't defend at all

its great football speak - but that's about all. this game was decided by 2 early turnovers. not a whole teams "want to". jesus

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 03:04 AM
words u stand by and can't defend at all

its great football speak - but that's about all. this game was decided by 2 early turnovers. not a whole teams "want to". jesus

Yeah......I'm going with the guy that played the game's word and my observation of our team not giving a shit over yours.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 03:07 AM
I don't see a bowl victory this year if we prepare like we did against Northwestern and Ga Tech.

Don't screw with the bowl, we'll lose big and won't see another one for 4 - 5 years.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 03:07 AM
Yeah......I'm going with the guy that played the game's word and my observation of our team not giving a shit over yours.

ok. keep believing in fairy tales of giving the most ****s wins games. playing vs Nutt and not much talent had **** all to do with it!1!2!1111

lol

BossDawg
11-29-2015, 03:15 AM
Dan also needs to turn on the charm and learn how to recruit better. That would help a lot, IF he's here next year. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if he left because I think the "new" has worn off, so to speak, and he knows it. I'm a little concerned about a replacement if he does leave though, but there's no reason we can't hire a competent coach. If UMiss can, there's isn't a reason in hell we can't.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 03:15 AM
ok. keep believing in fairy tales of giving the most ****s wins games. playing vs Nutt and not much talent had **** all to do with it!1!2!1111

lol

2009 Egg Bowl agrees with you.** lol

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 03:18 AM
2009 Egg Bowl agrees with you.** lol

the entire game was.about want to and not coaching , scheme, turnovers,etc?

sure.

2.guys over 130 yrds rushing. sounds alot like game plan and less about give a damn. I'm sure there was plenty of both to go around tho.

vs nutt. he good baw

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 03:18 AM
Dan also need to turn on the charm and learn how to recruit better. That would help a lot.

I agree.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 03:22 AM
the entire game was.about want to and not coaching , scheme, turnovers,etc?

sure.

I believe it plays a large part and is manifested in those things you mention. That's why rivalry games are unique.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 03:26 AM
I believe it plays a large part and is manifested in those things you mention. That's why rivalry games are unique.

sure it plays a part. in most cases it's not the deciding factor tho. ur case from the start has been the team who wants it more wins. that's just not true in most cases. maybe if the teams are truly evenly matched. otherwise it's just coachspeak shit

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 03:31 AM
sure it plays a part. in most cases it's not the deciding factor tho. ur case from the start has been the team who wants it more wins. that's just not true in most cases. maybe if the teams are truly evenly matched. otherwise it's just coachspeak shit

If you had read the entire post- which you admitted to not reading fully or you were being a smartass and didn't comprehend it- my whole point was we lost because Dan doesn't put the emphasis he should on the Egg Bowl and it trickles down to our players.

Based on tonight I'm not sure how anyone could disagree. But congrats on managing to do so.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 03:35 AM
If you had read the entire post- which you admitted to not reading fully or you were being a smartass and didn't comprehend it- my whole point was we lost because Dan doesn't put the emphasis he should on the Egg Bowl and it trickles down to our players.

Based on tonight I'm not sure how anyone could disagree. But congrats on managing to do so.

sorry not sorry for not reading wall of text at 2 am xD and Dan has a ****ing countdown timer for the egg bowl. more emphasis? I think be puts plenty. but what do I know. just one man's opinion

good fun todd. have a good one

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 03:52 AM
sorry not sorry for not reading wall of text at 2 am xD and Dan has a ****ing countdown timer for the egg bowl. more emphasis? I think be puts plenty. but what do I know. just one man's opinion

good fun todd. have a good one

That's one thing- per my friend the countdown timer is gone.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-29-2015, 07:37 AM
All that other off the field stuff doesn't matter to me as much as your point about being out hit. We are a soft team. Having egg bowl uniforms wouldn't have prevented this bs.

Dawgface
11-29-2015, 07:51 AM
OM had better athletes and were better prepared. They were confident they would beat us and did.

Todd4State
11-29-2015, 08:20 AM
All that other off the field stuff doesn't matter to me as much as your point about being out hit. We are a soft team. Having egg bowl uniforms wouldn't have prevented this bs.

It doesn't matter as much- but if we're going to do it we need to not bitch out after we lose a couple. I'm just mad that the Egg Biel has become just another game for Dan and our administration.

I do agree that our team being soft is even more concerning,

sandwolf
11-29-2015, 10:50 AM

Haha, this was pretty much gonna be my exact response.

BankerDog
11-29-2015, 12:16 PM
About the Egg Bowl- he said that whoever wins that game is the team that simply "wants it more". This coming from a football player. So, not the opinion of a guy that works in a hospital. And that was WHAT WAS THE MOST disappointing thing to me about tonight- I don't believe we wanted it badly enough.

And I think that starts with Dan. I don't think he places the emphasis on the Egg Bowl that he should and certainly without question he doesn't place enough emphasis like he used to. Case in point? Well, we don't have the Egg Bowl countdown clock anymore- that per someone who attended the women's football clinic and when she asked Dan about it, Dan responded that "we had moved on to bigger things" as a program.

Also- and while these aren't reasons why we didn't win the Egg Bowl, I certainly believe that they show signs of a lack of "want to" on Dan and MSU's part:

Letting the team go home for Thanksgiving. Again, I know that is something that was highly disagreed upon in a long thread- however, we came out sloppy AGAIN. It just shows lack of focus on the game itself.

No Egg Bowl uniform. One thing that disappoints me a lot is the fact that for the past four years we do something special for the Egg Bowl to put an emphasis on the game. This year we half assedly throw on our white helmets and hand out gold pom-poms. Really Scott? We lose a couple of Egg Bowls and then we bitch out. How about figuring out a way to win next time rather than be half assed? And while again not a reason for a loss, but it does show lack of attention to the Egg Bowl.

The most concerning thing from a football standpoint to me is the fact that we were outhit and we lost the game physically. I think that is a reflection of the coaches. It's not just the Egg Bowl that this happened- Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M as well. It seems to me that we have very few players that are true leaders. Certainly there are without question some leaders such as Dak, Bear, Beniquez, Redmond, Fred Ross- but we do not have enough players that play with raw energy. It seems like we come out flat pretty much every game- no matter who it is. Troy was the exception and I think that was only because Dan knew Dak was sick. Dan runs off too many guys that play with emotion like Josh Robinson. If it's not choked out of them by their sophomore season that is. Devon Desper to me is an example of this. I saw him many times in high school and he was just as mean on the football field as anyone I had ever seen. He made Under Armour AA so it's not like it was just me pulling for the hometown kid here. He gets to MSU and now he looks totally different and not in a good way. It's more of a confusing way to me- because he just seems timid, confused, and at times just plain lost. Now I'm not singling Desper out even though I just did- because EVERY o-lineman we had this year seemed to be the same way to different degrees. Why is that? Yes, because Hevesey is awful, but in terms of lack of energy our entire TEAM for the most part lacks it at just about every position group. Dan has to understand and come to terms with the fact that football is an EMOTIONAL game. You can't have a team full of hard workin' good kids from Belzoni, MS that do everything that they are supposed to in practice and expect "the light to come on" on gameday. You need a few Josh Robinson's. We have some like Dontavian Lee, but he doesn't play in large part because of this because Dan doesn't like it.

Also, Dan HAS TO learn how to trust younger players that have talent. Malik Dear for all intents and purposes was our player of the game tonight. Why hasn't he gotten more touches? What about Aeris and Lee? Jamal Peters was underused at best. But the thing that is maddness is Dan starting upper classmen who aren't performing while benching a freshman for one mistake. See Zach Jackson and Kivon Coman pretty much all year- although I guess Coman had a good game against Mizzou. And then there are the scheme issues- like when we have trouble blocking, how often did we bring in Hutcherson or Justin Johnson to help with blocking? We don't really have a FB on the team- so why not use Shumpert there at times to assist with blocking more than we saw this year? Why do we ask Holloway to run up the middle ever? I think how we use our personnel compounds any recruiting issues we have because I would imagine it's quite rare for anyone- even Alabama to have all upper classmen. I'm sure that they even use true freshmen from time to time. People talk about our stars or lack thereof by our recruits names compared to Alabama- well those stars in our lineup go up if we play Peters, Dear, etc. more.

I see some people saying that Dan has done a lot, should get another chance, etc. BUT I ask those people- how would Dan have done without Dak? Dan pissed away his senior year, and I think it's going to take awhile for me to forgive that. His game management against LSU would have been a fireable offense for many coaches. We did not look prepared against Alabama or Ole Miss. We probably lose to Arkansas if Beni Brown hadn't basically forced his way into the the kick block team. Why wasn't he in that position on the kick block team all year? There's a lot that is left to be desired- and it will probably rear it's ugly head out even more if Dan does indeed come back.

1) The team didn't go home for Thanksgiving. They brought the player's families here and had a big meal for everyone.

2) Desper has never had a mean streak. He's always been the same Desper. I played against him in high school and have been around him here. He's the same Desper. A lot easier to look mean when you go up against 5-10 DTs or the occasional 6-2 guy who ends up at Hinds. Malone was the same way. He told someone a few weeks up here he was ready to be done with football. He never wanted to football, was always a basketball player. Soft and lazy. He was covered up a lot by Day and Clausell.