PDA

View Full Version : That's no moon, it's a space station....

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 01:54 AM
That is all I could think of when I watched Wilkins run through our defense like it was 2003 all over again.

For all the jokes, and all the comments, we have a problem on our hands in Oxford. The bears just whipped our ass, at home, with the best QB I've ever seen at MSU at the helm. When freeze took over the bears, they were one of the worst teams I have ever seen. That 2011 bear team was just awful. I figured it would be 2-3 years minimum before he turned that ship around. Fast forward 4 years and despite Mullen having a massive talent advantage over Freeze when Freeze took the job in 2011, Mullen is now 1-3 against Freeze and will have to win in Oxford next year to avoid a 1-4 record.

Lets talk bigger picture though. The bears are recruiting at a high level. Last year's class for them was nothing special, but they are on pace to have a top 10 recruiting class this year and I don't see a ton of scrub big brothers on their team in order to make it happen. Our recruiting class is coming down to signing kids that pretty much any coach at MSU should sign. Congrats, you were able to sign a few good kids from Starkville high and a relative of one of our greatest bulldogs ever.

For all the talk about the bears losing everyone off this year's roster, that is not what I saw on the field. DJ Jones, Speaks, Haynes, Bridges, Gates, Stringfellow, Wilkins, and possibly Kelly were huge difference makers tonight. Treadwell didn't do that much in my opinion, so if we are going to go into Oxford next year and win, we have a long way to go in recruiting and on the field.

Im probably one of the few that don't want Mullen fired, but we have a problem on our hands.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 01:58 AM
We're fvcked. I don't think I'm spending a dollar on MSU football until we beat Ole Miss, but that may honestly be 3 or 4 years away at this point and my guess is that Mullen will quit or be fired before then. Dark days ahead...

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 02:55 AM
We're fvcked. I don't think I'm spending a dollar on MSU football until we beat Ole Miss, but that may honestly be 3 or 4 years away at this point and my guess is that Mullen will quit or be fired before then. Dark days ahead...

Thats a bit much, I'm just concerned for the first time in a long time, that we are being left behind in-state.

SDDawg
11-29-2015, 02:57 AM
Thats a bit much, I'm just concerned for the first time in a long time, that we are being left behind in-state.

Dude, we are done. Seriously. Be lucky to win 5 next year, HC is about to quit next week, we'll have the worst recruiting class this year that we've had in many years. All of those toss up 4 stars?! Forget that shit, we're getting anything other than one or two of those guys. We're recruiting at a mid-tier ACC or C-USA level and not equipped to compete. We won't beat Ole Miss for 5 years at this rate...

Goldendawg
11-29-2015, 03:16 AM
Bought a program tonight. Only 5 of the 31 UM players pictured were from Mississippi. We are not recruiting from the same talent pool and we weren't prepared to boot.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 03:17 AM
Holy crap, I guess I haven't paid attention to recruiting lately but this upcoming class is ranked at a low-tier ACC level. Damn, is Dan even trying

msstate7
11-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Not sure I agree with the notion om isn't losing a ton. Here's the list off their 2-deep...

Seniors offense...
Core
A. Morris
Bell
Still
Cooper
Walton

Draft eligible offense...
Treadwell
Stringfellow (most likely back)
Adeboyejo (rated as high as 10th wr)
Engram
Kelly

Seniors defense...
Brown
Ward
Hamilton
Denzel
CJ
Russell
Hilton
Elston

Draft eligible defense...
RN
Conner

If Kelly declares, I think they lose all of the juniors except stringfellow

Dawgfan77
11-29-2015, 09:10 AM
That is all I could think of when I watched Wilkins run through our defense like it was 2003 all over again.

For all the jokes, and all the comments, we have a problem on our hands in Oxford. The bears just whipped our ass, at home, with the best QB I've ever seen at MSU at the helm. When freeze took over the bears, they were one of the worst teams I have ever seen. That 2011 bear team was just awful. I figured it would be 2-3 years minimum before he turned that ship around. Fast forward 4 years and despite Mullen having a massive talent advantage over Freeze when Freeze took the job in 2011, Mullen is now 1-3 against Freeze and will have to win in Oxford next year to avoid a 1-4 record.

Lets talk bigger picture though. The bears are recruiting at a high level. Last year's class for them was nothing special, but they are on pace to have a top 10 recruiting class this year and I don't see a ton of scrub big brothers on their team in order to make it happen. Our recruiting class is coming down to signing kids that pretty much any coach at MSU should sign. Congrats, you were able to sign a few good kids from Starkville high and a relative of one of our greatest bulldogs ever.

For all the talk about the bears losing everyone off this year's roster, that is not what I saw on the field. DJ Jones, Speaks, Haynes, Bridges, Gates, Stringfellow, Wilkins, and possibly Kelly were huge difference makers tonight. Treadwell didn't do that much in my opinion, so if we are going to go into Oxford next year and win, we have a long way to go in recruiting and on the field.

Im probably one of the few that don't want Mullen fired, but we have a problem on our hands.
Disagree with you. Go look at that team freezus had when he took over they had some talent. Not a lot but he inherited a much better situation than dan

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Disagree with you. Go look at that team freezus had when he took over they had some talent. Not a lot but he inherited a much better situation than dan

In 2011? Thats just nuts. The bears didn't have a single player drafted after the 2012 or 2013 season, except for Moncrief.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Thoughts below:

Not sure I agree with the notion om isn't losing a ton. Here's the list off their 2-deep...

Seniors offense...
Core - They are loaded at WR
A. Morris - He is not a full time starter, Taylor, Patterson and Sims start at OG.
Bell - Conyers was the starter until he got hurt - he will be back
Still - Same as above
Cooper - Big time loss
Walton - Solid loss

Draft eligible offense...
Treadwell - Huge loss
Stringfellow (most likely back) - Hope he leaves, he could have a huge year
Adeboyejo (rated as high as 10th wr) - Doubt he leaves
Engram - Solid loss, but he hasn't had a big season.
Kelly - This is the big issue, he can cover a ton of issues.

Seniors defense...
Brown - Just a junior
Ward - part time starter
Hamilton - DJ Jones is better
Denzel - Didn't even play last night
CJ - Good pass rusher, terrible LB
Russell - Not a starter
Hilton - Big time loss
Elston - Big time loss

Draft eligible defense...
RN - Big time loss
Conner - Didn't play last night, most likely to not leave.

If Kelly declares, I think they lose all of the juniors except stringfellow

Here is the biggest issue I see, their DL next year could have a starting four of Haynes, Brown, Speaks and DJ Jones. Those 4 gave us fits all last night. At LB, their best one was Gates. He is just a sophomore. Their starting corners are both underclassmen. Conner didn't even play and I thought he was their best player at the beginning of the season.

Offensively, they have recruited well at WR, and they most likely return Adeboyejo and Stringfellow. They have Markell Pack who is solid, and two WR's who were both top 100 players in the country last year. That is the biggest issue, their recruiting at WR is just silly. They are adding Metcalf and potentially Drake Davis who is a top 100 player in the country. This is my concern, their recruiting is making things really uncomfortable.

I hope like hell you are right, but last night was eye opening. We didn't just lose, we got our asses kicked. RB's running over DB's, DL just mauling our OL, it was depressing.