PDA

View Full Version : Dan's gotta go.

Bubb Rubb
11-28-2015, 11:44 PM
I don't want to hear "we finished better than expected." I don't want to hear "we go bowling every year." I don't want to hear "they have more talent than we do."

I for sure don't want anyone to blame thanksgiving. That's retarded - it had nothing to do with this. We've seen this level of effort out of this team several times this year.

These are facts:

- for at least half of our games this year, we have come out flat, low-energy, and poorly prepared.
- our defense continuously puts the team in huge holes early
- our offensive line is a shit show
- play calling is atrocious. Atrocious is actually too nice of a word. I remember a lot of Florida fans talking about how glad they were to see Mullen go, and I get it.
- we lack effort
- this is the poorest tacking team I can ever remember at Mississippi State
- we have a 160 lb midget as our feature running back. He gave all he had, so I don't blame him, but Mullen has to come up with something better

To wit:

- Late in the second quarter, Dak up the middle on 4th down (terrible play call, but I digress), and he clearly gets the first, but a terrible spot leaves him half a yard short. Why not call a time out and challenge the freaking spot?
- Knowing Ole Miss will bring heat, we do the same thing we did against Alabama and call pass plays that require time for routes to develop - and then we wonder why Dak gets sacked
- We know that a key to this game is containing Kelly's scrambling - so we promptly let him run all over us in the first quarter
- Third and sixteen? Let's play soft coverage, rush three, and give up a 20 yard pass play
- Had to settle for field goals twice on crucial drives because shitty play calling kept us from getting the ball in the endzone
- stupid penalties. Especially the false start on the OM four yard line
- in the 4th quarter we need quick scores, so let's keep running Holloway and running clock

I hope Dan is on his way to Maryland, and I hope he takes Diaz and Hevesy with him.

Coach34
11-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Mullen is gone

GreenheadDawg
11-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Mullen is gone

Best news I've heard all night

bluelightstar
11-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Mullen is gone

good

Saltydog
11-28-2015, 11:50 PM
nt

Sacrifice
Mullen is gone

Please tell me that's a done deal.

fader2103
Coach do you have inside info and if so. Where to?

TrapGame
11-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Mullen is gone

He sure coached like tonight.

Coach007
11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Mullen isn't going anywhere! And you all better hope c34 is wrong. We are arriving late to a movie halfway over.

LibraryDawg
11-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Mullen is gone

I know you have mentioned Whittingham, but outside of him who do you see as potential replacements if he does indeed leave?

ckDOG
11-28-2015, 11:57 PM
My folks saying he gone too. Just don't know where. I guess Maryland from the smoke earlier this week, but there still a head scratcher unless it's a nice package. Not any easier winning in that division than this one.

Looking like coach was right and the preparation tonight sure as hell reflects that. Don't let the Chevy door hit ya where the good lord split ya, Dan.

BeardoMSU
11-28-2015, 11:59 PM
We are arriving late to a movie halfway over.

Well said. If Mullen leaves, we are going to the get the dregs of the coaching picking-order. Not to mention the effect that will have on the current recruiting class.

Dawgface
11-29-2015, 12:01 AM
Mullen is gone

I won't lose any sleep over it.

NCDawg
11-29-2015, 12:03 AM
My folks saying he gone too. Just don't know where. I guess Maryland from the smoke earlier this week, but there still a head scratcher unless it's a nice package. Not any easier winning in that division than this one.

Looking like coach was right and the preparation tonight sure as hell reflects that. Don't let the Chevy door hit ya where the good lord split ya, Dan.

Think he would love coaching in the Big 10, with all the Northern schools.

defiantdog
11-29-2015, 12:03 AM
Mullen has lost his edge. He lost his drive to win.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Mullen isn't going anywhere! And you all better hope c34 is wrong. We are arriving late to a movie halfway over.

We can literally double the salary of over half the coaches in the country... For example, I've seen people bandying Fedora's name around -- he only makes 1.9m at UNC.

TrapGame
11-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Mullen has lost his edge. He lost his drive to win.

The Dan Mullen of 2009-10 would kick his ass and call him a p*ssy to his face!

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Well said. If Mullen leaves, we are going to the get the dregs of the coaching picking-order. Not to mention the effect that will have on the current recruiting class.

A class that's not really great too!

People are way to emotional right now. Now is the time to be consistent because of all the shake ups. We return a lot next year. People need to hold off for another year.

Swagger Vance
11-29-2015, 12:07 AM
Mullen is gone

Dont tease me like that.

msstate7

Our class is in the 40s... Not to worried about the effects on this class

Leroy Jenkins

No we will not get the dregs. This is a SEC job. Great salary. Great facilities. Sell-out crowds. Oh and the recruiting class... you mean the one that is ranked in the 40s?

Dan has mailed it in. That more than anything is unacceptable.

Coach007
We can literally double the salary of over half the coaches in the country... For example, I've seen people bandying Fedora's name around -- he only makes 1.9m at UNC.

You think money is the only issue?

TrapGame
11-29-2015, 12:08 AM

And Fedora left USM because they couldn't afford his assistants. So, getting Monken to take a long look would not be difficult either.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2015, 12:09 AM
People need to hold off for another year.

America accepts mediocre effort too much. We dont need it in coaching. Think of what a coach who actually cares can do with what we have coming back.

GreenheadDawg
11-29-2015, 12:10 AM
And Fedora left USM because they couldn't afford his assistants. So, getting Monken to take a long look would not be difficult either.

Sorry but I'm gonna be more pissed than I am right now if ****ing Monken is the best we can do

LibraryDawg
11-29-2015, 12:11 AM
A class that's not really great too!

People are way to emotional right now. Now is the time to be consistent because of all the shake ups. We return a lot next year. People need to hold off for another year.

You are correct, we do return a lot next year. But, we will continue to get the same results if something doesn't change. I'm not saying fire him but Stricklin needs to light a fire under him somehow.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:12 AM
No we will not get the dregs. This is a SEC job. Great salary. Great facilities. Sell-out crowds. Oh and the recruiting class... you mean the one that is ranked in the 40s?

Dan has mailed it in. That more than anything is unacceptable.

On well in that case! Since we are the SEC BABY! You need to grasp that the current system don't give 2 tricks about the SEC. Iowa... Etc etc... Houston is upping their pay etc..

I'm all for Ms St and the future, but now isn't the time. Next year will be if he doesn't produce.

BeardoMSU
Oh and the recruiting class... you mean the one that is ranked in the 40s?

And what do you think will happen to it when recruits start jumping ship. Things can get a lot worse.

TrapGame
Sorry but I'm gonna be more pissed than I am right now if ****ing Monken is the best we can do

We ain't getting Chip Kelly. And Monken ain't a bad coach.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2015, 12:15 AM
And what do you think will happen to it when recruits start jumping ship. Things can get a lot worse.

I could accept a short-term loss for a long-term gain.

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 12:16 AM
I could accept a short-term loss for a long-term gain.

Go ahead and expect a long term loss. There may be a gain, but it ain't gonna be quick. We're behind the 8-ball as is.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 12:18 AM
On well in that case! Since we are the SEC BABY! You need to grasp that the current system don't give 2 tricks about the SEC. Iowa... Etc etc... Houston is upping their pay etc..

I'm all for Ms St and the future, but now isn't the time. Next year will be if he doesn't produce.

This is a hard lesson we learned from the Sherrill, Stansbury, and Polk II eras. When you know that something has to be done, you gotta pull the trigger. One more year is another year down the hole. It may be acceptable for you to watch the same old shit next year, but I've seen enough.

GreenheadDawg

Then by all means let's keep rolling with this dumpster fire. I'm sure it will get better **

Coach007
You are correct, we do return a lot next year. But, we will continue to get the same results if something doesn't change. I'm not saying fire him but Stricklin needs to light a fire under him somehow.

That I agree with! Here's the thing, lok around at what the SEC west and what's happening. Ole Miss falling off the planet with players moving on. Bama is going to change drastically due to their coaches leaving.... LSU.. New coaches... Etc.

Showing some consistency in a down year with a few replacements.,.. That would be the plan.

We aren't looking at he whole picture either. What made Dak great? The fact that Dan hired a qb coach. That coach has Fitz performing better than Dak was at the same class. Dan goes, he goes.

GreenheadDawg
double post

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Then by all means let's keep rolling with this dumpster fire. I'm sure it will get better **

That's not what I'm saying at all, Green. I'm just a little surprised that people think all we have to do is change coaches and everything will be all good, while ignoring the fact that there are a shit ton of teams that are also hiring new coaches. Yes we are in the SEC; yes we can afford to spend money on a coach; yes we have fan support, facilities, etc.; but, it's tough to win in the SEC West, and most everyone is getting better.

IMissJack
11-29-2015, 12:20 AM
That I agree with! Here's the thing, lok around at what the SEC west and what's happening. Ole Miss falling off the planet with players moving on. Bama is going to change drastically due to their coaches leaving.... LSU.. New coaches... Etc.

Showing some consistency in a down year with a few replacements.,.. That would be the plan.

We aren't looking at he whole picture either. What made Dak great? The fact that Dan hired a qb coach. That coach has Fitz performing better than Dak was at the same class. Dan goes, he goes.

LSU ain't changing coaches...

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:22 AM
This is a hard lesson we learned from the Sherrill, Stansbury, and Polk II eras. When you know that something has to be done, you gotta pull the trigger. One more year is another year down the hole. It may be acceptable for you to watch the same old shit next year, but I've seen enough.

Really? Because basketball did so well after? Football improved how far down the line?

Personally, I agree... When something needs to be done.. Do it. Over all, Dan is the guy who has made changes to the staff to better he program. We will see that again if he does indeed stay.

GreenheadDawg
11-29-2015, 12:24 AM
That's not what I'm saying at all, Green. I'm just a little surprised that people think all we have to do is change coaches and everything will be all good, while ignoring the fact that there are a shit ton of teams that are also hiring new coaches. Yes we are in the SEC; yes we can afford to spend money on a coach; yes we have fan support, facilities, etc.; but, it's tough to win in the SEC West, and most everyone is getting better.

You're right about that. I get that people are nervous that we could end up with our 4th or 5th option and he be another croom. Although we think this job is great a lot of coaches in other parts of the country probably don't see it that way. But I still say we have to take that chance and move on. Mullen did wonders for this program but it's time to part ways

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:25 AM
LSU ain't changing coaches...

They may not. But I think LSU is beatable with Dan. I think Saban and freeze is all that stops us next year and I feel we can beat one of them.

I would not be surprised to see us ranked top 10 mid season.

IMissJack
11-29-2015, 12:25 AM
Really? Because basketball did so well after? Football improved how far down the line?

Personally, I agree... When something needs to be done.. Do it. Over all, Dan is the guy who has made changes to the staff to better he program. We will see that again if he does indeed stay.
I agree that I don't want something done in haste. However, it may not be our call. It may be Dans call.

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 12:27 AM
They may not. But I think LSU is beatable with Dan. I think Saban and freeze is all that stops us next year and I feel we can beat one of them.

I'm drunk right now....but I'd love a snort of what you're havin'

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Mullen is gone

bookmarked. can wait to mock and shit all over this

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 12:29 AM

always rears it's head when ur drunk *. *

Dawgface
11-29-2015, 12:31 AM

On that note, I think I will go to bed. At least I found something else to chuckle at before doing so. :)

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 12:31 AM

My point was that basketball and football were dumpster fires because we waited too long to fix the problem, and when we finally got around to doing it, rebuilding was a much tougher job. We also didn't make smart hires in those cases. I know you can say that it could happen again, and you are correct, but I think you need to strike before any more ground is lost.

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 12:32 AM
always rears it's head when ur drunk *. *

Well....I'd like to think I'm an optimist...definitely not a pessimist....but shit....that was some serious spin.

CadaverDawg
11-29-2015, 12:33 AM
I'd like to see Dan stay, but fire Hevesy & Sallach...and bring in an offensive line coach and an OC that can recruit. We may need to fire Hughes as well, or reassign him to recruiting only, Bc our safety play sucks. We have two glaring weaknesses, & are solid everywhere else. OL and Secondary gotta get fixed now. The only other issue is our preparation and play calling in big games. Dan is dropping the ball big time in big games...it's like we peak emotionally BEFORE the game instead of during it....and Dan totally tightens up in the biggest games in his play calling. He's gotta either get it fixed or hire an OC that can handle focusing on the play calling.

I do not agree with Mullen NEEDING to go. That is just overreaction to losing a home Egg Bowl IMO. He may take another job, but we'll see. That's the only way he's leaving...Scott would never fire him with this level of success, nor should he. But changes should be made for sure within the staff. Hevesy & Sallach are worthless.

IMissJack
11-29-2015, 12:35 AM
I'd like to see Dan stay, but fire Hevesy & Sallach...and bring in an offensive line coach and an OC that can recruit. We may need to fire Hughes as well, or reassign him to recruiting only, Bc our safety play sucks. We have two glaring weaknesses, & are solid everywhere else. OL and Secondary gotta get fixed now. The only other issue is our preparation and play calling in big games. Dan is dropping the ball big time in big games...it's like we peak emotionally BEFORE the game instead of during it....and Dan totally tightens up in the biggest games in his play calling. He's gotta either get it fixed or hire an OC that can handle focusing on the play calling.

I do not agree with Mullen NEEDING to go. That is just overreaction to losing a home Egg Bowl IMO. He may take another job, but we'll see. That's the only way he's leaving...Scott would never fire him with this level of success, nor should he. But changes should be made for sure within the staff. Hevesy & Sallach are worthless.

Agree with everything in this post.

BeardoMSU
11-29-2015, 12:37 AM

/End Thread

Well put, CD.

Boston
11-29-2015, 12:38 AM

Yep.

TrapGame
11-29-2015, 12:41 AM

I'm thinking something along the lines of fans being unenthusiastic about next year. We're picked last again. And then Dan brings out this 2010 flashback offense with Fitz looking like a future Heisman candidate with the defense playing tighter and meaner. We're top 20 and everybody - once again - forgets the turds Dan has laid in the past. Because that's the shit Dan does.

TrapGame
11-29-2015, 12:44 AM

Level headed. Great post.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 12:44 AM

Everyone here knows that Dan is a stubborn SOB. Witness how he's handled special teams, and that tells you all you need to know about the likelihood of bringing in an OC or another line coach. And no, Stricklin won't fire him; he doesn't have the balls to. In fact, he doesn't have the balls to force Dan to make staff changes. But anyone who thinks this is going to be any different next year is just fooling himself. We have lots of talent returning next year, and yet, we'll be seeing the same things.

He needs to go. I hope he has something else lined up.

dawg27
11-29-2015, 12:46 AM

What recruiting class we ranked 40th

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:47 AM

Just seeing a bigger picture. Thinking in terms of what we have returning that's is a plus... Certain aspects of the OL is not bad. What we need is already here and we are recruiting the other. We will have a better line. Defense... Over all better. Example.. Jiles. Look who he showed up tonight. We return a lot of great pieces and have either redshirted or have others coming in.

When I see that vs ole Mis and what they lose. I like that. LSU.... So! Tamu.. Not a problem. Ark.. Loses a lot. Mainly the only qb they have. The only team that worries me next year is Bama. The rest will be up for grabs.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Everyone here knows that Dan is a stubborn SOB. Witness how he's handled special teams, and that tells you all you need to know about the likelihood of bringing in an OC or another line coach. And no, Stricklin won't fire him; he doesn't have the balls to. In fact, he doesn't have the balls to force Dan to make staff changes. But anyone who thinks this is going to be any different next year is just fooling himself. We have lots of talent returning next year, and yet, we'll be seeing the same things.

He needs to go. I hope he has something else lined up.

Exactly, at this point I don't see how people expect him to suddenly decide to "do something different."

NCDawg
11-29-2015, 12:48 AM

I agree.

bluelightstar
11-29-2015, 12:48 AM
Just seeing a bigger picture. Thinking in terms of what we have returning that's is a plus... Certain aspects of the OL is not bad. What we need is already here and we are recruiting the other. We will have a better line. Defense... Over all better. Example.. Jiles. Look who he showed up tonight. We return a lot of great pieces and have either redshirted or have others coming in.

When I see that vs ole Mis and what they lose. I like that. LSU.... So! Tamu.. Not a problem. Ark.. Loses a lot. Mainly the only qb they have. The only team that worries me next year is Bama. The rest will be up for grabs.

Those teams have been leaving Mullen in the recruiting dust so I think they'll be alright

Coach007
11-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Those teams have been leaving Mullen in the recruiting dust so I think they'll be alright

Lol! OK! We will just disagree on that.

But we need to hang on 1 year!

PendingTransaction
11-29-2015, 12:54 AM
^^^Hughes is leaving. Unless it's a done deal, Dan want leave this gravy train. Scott will get cussed out if he suggests coaching changes to Dan. Now there are people who can demand change but they don't work for MSU.

dawg27
11-29-2015, 12:58 AM

And not to mention the bears are loosing alot but look at there recuiting they are number 6 right now, we are 40.

Jacksondevildog
11-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Here is a difference in our recruiting versus theirs:

They will probably sign the nations top offensive tackle in Greg Little. We still haven't committed Johnnie Cooks' nephew from West Point on the offensive line. There are three or four studs in the golden triangle area and we don't have any of them committed yet.

Coach34
11-29-2015, 01:03 AM
You don't ever keep a coach over a recruiting class- especially one ranked in the 40's

Statecoachingblows**
11-29-2015, 01:13 AM

Well we have resulted to basing next year on teams losing guys? Not that we are going to be loaded due to recruiting and experience? Nope, ole miss is losing this and that, Arky and LSU blah blah blah! Garbage. NO! Take that shit somewhere else. Recruit better, coach better, do the complete opposite of what our staff did this past week.

LC Dawg
11-29-2015, 01:14 AM
My biggest problem with Mullen is he picked the fight with UM and now he is having his ass handed to him and he doesn't seem to really care. If that is the trade off to beating Kentucky and USM I think I'd rather pay Monken 1.3M for the same results.

Noxdog
11-29-2015, 01:16 AM

My man, everything but Hughes. HE HAS too Stay. Spot on bro.

cheewgumm
11-29-2015, 01:19 AM
It's just time. Mullen has done well here. Congrats, now let's move on.

We have to keep growing. We are regressing and I bet that is why he is trying to get out. And he's right and I'm not offended. It happens. Someone else has to take the next step.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 01:20 AM

Agree 100%. walking out of the stadium I said we needed a real OC and a new oline coach. dan is a great qb developer but damn his playcalling us horrible

as u said, the fire mullen diatribe is simple overreaction

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2015, 01:25 AM
My man, everything but Hughes. HE HAS too Stay. Spot on bro.

Hughes can stay and not coach.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 01:25 AM
Agree 100%. walking out of the stadium I said we needed a real OC and a new oline coach. dan is a great qb developer but damn his playcalling us horrible

as u said, the fire mullen diatribe is simple overreaction

Once again, you won't get any of those things with Dan here.

Coursesuper
11-29-2015, 01:27 AM

What aspect of the oline look good to you. That is the worst oline in the SEC and one of the worst in the power 5 conferences. It is absolutely horrific to watch that shat show week after week. Our last two seasons have been held back by the oline or really the lack of. Can't sustain a drive can't move anyone. Get beaten like a rented government mules redheaded step child. Hev needs to go, but won't. Tgat is the problem.

JohnnyQuid
11-29-2015, 01:29 AM
Once again, you won't get any of those things with Dan here.

oh. sorry dan

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2015, 01:29 AM
What aspect of the oline look good to you. That is the worst oline in the SEC and one of the worst in the power 5 conferences. It is absolutely horrific to watch that shat show week after week. Our last two seasons have been held back by the oline or really the lack of. Can't sustain a drive can't move anyone. Get beaten linke a rented government mules redheaded step child. Hev needs to go, but won't. Tgat is the problem.

You left off the timely holding penalties and like-clockwork false starts in the redzone.

MafiaDawg
11-29-2015, 01:32 AM
Again, we're not going to fire him. So who exactly is going to hire a coach who can't win the big game? Crickets. We're stuck with him for better or worse.

Harbaugh, Meyer and dantonio would coach absolute circles around Mullen if he ended up in that division

Coursesuper
11-29-2015, 01:34 AM
You left off the timely holding penalties and like-clockwork false starts in the redzone.

Those are just the bonuses we get with the fine coaching or oline recives. Along with fat and slow we get stupid to go along with it.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 11:12 AM
What aspect of the oline look good to you. That is the worst oline in the SEC and one of the worst in the power 5 conferences. It is absolutely horrific to watch that shat show week after week. Our last two seasons have been held back by the oline or really the lack of. Can't sustain a drive can't move anyone. Get beaten like a rented government mules redheaded step child. Hev needs to go, but won't. Tgat is the problem.

Our issues all year have been mainly due to the play of OTs. Those are going to be vastly improved next season with the addition of a few juco players. The OL was not horrible last year. At all. That OL was the reason Dak had his success. And if you watch this line, this season..... As the season progressed we made strides in shedding the first assignments and making it into the second level.

The sacks... Go back and look... Most were created by the OTs not being god enough.

Coach007
11-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Well we have resulted to basing next year on teams losing guys? Not that we are going to be loaded due to recruiting and experience? Nope, ole miss is losing this and that, Arky and LSU blah blah blah! Garbage. NO! Take that shit somewhere else. Recruit better, coach better, do the complete opposite of what our staff did this past week.

Wow! Amazed at what people only comprehend what they want to out of what they read!

We will be loaded next year. I believe next year is going to be the most talented roster we have had under Mullen! At the same time, I believe our main competition will be down