PDA

View Full Version : How prestigious of a job is Mississippi State football?

vv83
11-26-2015, 03:06 PM
First let me start this off by saying this is NOT a "Is Dan leaving" thread. I am not in the "in circle" and have no idea about that. But if Dan did leave what kind of candidates can we expect to compete for? Are we to the point where we still go after power 5 coordinators or can we get proven head coaches now from other schools? Would someone like chip Kelly or other big names be a possibility or are we not a big enough program to land those types of huge name candidates?

smootness
11-26-2015, 03:13 PM
We wouldn't get a Chip Kelly with the kind of jobs that are open this year. But I think we could potentially get a HC from a Power 5 school outside the SEC, from places like Maryland, Illinois, Georgia Tech, etc. And I think we could get just about any up-and-coming candidate.

I think just about any SEC job is better than most Power 5 jobs, and I would say we're a better job than Vandy, Kentucky, and Missouri in the SEC and about on par with Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Arkansas. Wherever that puts us overall.

vv83
11-26-2015, 03:18 PM
We wouldn't get a Chip Kelly with the kind of jobs that are open this year. But I think we could potentially get a HC from a Power 5 school outside the SEC, from places like Maryland, Illinois, Georgia Tech, etc. And I think we could get just about any up-and-coming candidate.

I think just about any SEC job is better than most Power 5 jobs, and I would say we're a better job than Vandy, Kentucky, and Missouri in the SEC and about on par with Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Arkansas. Wherever that puts us overall.

Yeah I assume USCw is gonna go all in on Kelly but I wonder if that job wasn't open if we could compete. We've showed we can be successful running his offense here

Dawgowar
11-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Judging solely from this board, we lie somewhere between..."No accomplished Catholic HS Football coach in his right mind will take the job" to "Vince Lombardi is trying to be reincarnated in order to take the reigns." Truth likely lies in the middle of that slightly 'narrow' range.

Blackout
11-26-2015, 03:32 PM
How much does the other competition play too? As in rather be in another conference for ease of schedule

LC Dawg
11-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Prestigious enough to pay 4M and be ranked #1 in the country. The problem with any SEC West job is that as long as Saban is at Bama you have to blatantly cheat (Cam Newton) or be extremely lucky (2013 Auburn) to win the division or you can be good enough to win the division but lose to Bama in the national championship game (2011 LSU).

RC3
11-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Top 30

Johnson85
11-26-2015, 04:29 PM
We're second tier behind the jobs at schools that have been to a national championship game recently (except Miami). Out of that second tier, where we rank depends on the coach. Some coaches want the prestige and challenge of coaching in the sec West. Others will prefer to be at a second tier school in an easier conference or division.

preachermatt83
11-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Top 20

rbdog82
11-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Mullen's salary is #16 nationally. I'd say we have the facilities and checkbook to get most of the people we would want (within reason).

HSVDawg
11-26-2015, 05:22 PM
We would be in the South Carolina / Virginia Tech tier. Basically, the 2nd rung right behind USC and any other elite jobs that open (such as LSU, UGA, or FSU if any come open). Easily a top 20 job. Maybe top 15.