PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen: "I love the one that I have"

Charlie_Sheen420
11-26-2015, 06:26 AM
"I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/23/dan-mullen-job-rumors-love-one-have/76271802/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Dan said that this week. Now I know you can't always trust what coaches say, but I really believe Dan in this statement. Now I am far from the "in" group, but everyone calm the hell down and realize we go through this **** every year at this exact time period....

Here are my thoughts on the whole situation

Who has their hand in the media? Ole Miss. Who benefits from saying Dan Mullen is leaving the week before the egg bowl and during recruiting....Ole Miss. I would not be in the least bit surprised if they are passing out some $ to media to stir all this up once again to create a distraction this week. All the more reason to beat their ass this Saturday.

Maybe Dan has sent out some feelers, who knows, maybe he just likes checking out what he's worth to other schools in-case he ever needs that info for some reason. It's nice to know you have options. Maybe he's doing it to see what he would get for his assistants, so he can negotiate for better salaries for his current ones, and I actually think the assistants need raises, I don't want to see them pursue lateral jobs just for a pay increase. Not having to look for new people every season is a good thing, and keeps continuity which is good on a coaching staff if everything is flowing well.

Also if Dan was really trying to leave, it's not something that really gets out. If you are trying to leave your current job for another one, do you let it be openly known you are looking for another job? Would you tell your boss "Hey, I'm looking around at other jobs, but if things don't work out, I'm going to stay here" Hell no. If anything hearing all this makes me think he is staying more than anything.

I don't know if Dan will be at State forever, but I'm pretty damn sure he won't leave for a lateral or rebuilding job at Maryland or Virginia. He is beyond that at this point and he would be crazy as hell to do that, I just don't see it happening. He makes great $ here, and expectations are realistic with a very supportive fan base and administration.

The only jobs I can see Dan leaving for are historic and better programs such as USCw (don't think he'll like the west coast), Georgia (danger danger), Florida State (danger danger), LSU (maybe?), Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. Maybe Penn State?

Right now the only ones to worry about are USCw, possibly Georgia (may keep Richt), LSU (will they get Jimbo?), and FSU (if Jimbo leaves, I think this is the most dangerous one). I think Richt will be kept one more year, so FSU is concerning, but Jimbo has a 7 year 44mil contract....that's crazy to leave unless LSU is paying big time $$$.

Some of you think Dan is looking for another raise. I don't know if he is or not, but at State we can't pay anyone 5 mil or over at this point because that is just setting that coach up to be fired. 5 mil a year means you better be making the SEC champ game once in a while and then winning it as well, or you'll be gone sooner rather than later. Kevin Sumlin will soon be fired due to this because he is making $ that requires an SEC championship game appearance occasionally, and he has yet to produce and is underachieving. I think Dan is smart enough to know how much he should make with realistic expectations at State currently.

I've also noticed the past two seasons there are a few State fans on here that have come up with an agenda for some reason that it would be okay for Dan to leave and we need to get someone else that they want. I wish these people would stfu and realize they are hurting more than they are helping. And some of these people with "inside knowledge" have been wrong on various occasions. According to them Rick Ray is still our basketball coach, and Ben Howland doesn't even know where Starkville, MS is. I'm also still waiting on "IT" to get here, and I don't even know what the **** "IT" is. We don't need any agendas against Dan like there were against Stansbury (For the record it was time for him to go, but there was an agenda against him for years), and we don't need to be talking about other coaches at the likes of Utah or anywhere else until it is official that Dan has left the building. This is Mississippi State, not freaking Alabama with Bear Bryant or Nick Saban at the head. Let Dan keep building what he has been before giving up on him because if he leaves there's a greater chance that we become the historical doormat once again rather than finding just a replacement equal to Dan. You want to be critical of Dan's coaching and wonder if he'll ever win the SEC and what not, that's fine, we all do it. But trying to set up an agenda to get rid of probably the best damn football coach at State is just utterly damn ridiculous at this point.

I also trust our AD to do all in his power to keep Dan happy at this point, and so far I think he has, and the two seem to really like each other. Dan and his wife and children seem to like it here. He's openly said he loves it here. Will he be here forever? Who knows, but as long as he's here, the coach at State, winning games and improving, support the damn man!

Rumors are just rumors. The only person that knows anything is Dan and his close family, that's it. Until I hear otherwise, Dan is the man. Hail damn State! Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving

Mutt the Hoople
11-26-2015, 06:34 AM
"I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/23/dan-mullen-job-rumors-love-one-have/76271802/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Dan said that this week. Now I know you can't always trust what coaches say, but I really believe Dan in this statement. Now I am far from the "in" group, but everyone calm the hell down and realize we go through this **** every year at this exact time period....

Here are my thoughts on the whole situation

Who has their hand in the media? Ole Miss. Who benefits from saying Dan Mullen is leaving the week before the egg bowl and during recruiting....Ole Miss. I would not be in the least bit surprised if they are passing out some $ to media to stir all this up once again to create a distraction this week. All the more reason to beat their ass this Saturday.

Maybe Dan has sent out some feelers, who knows, maybe he just likes checking out what he's worth to other schools in-case he ever needs that info for some reason. It's nice to know you have options. Maybe he's doing it to see what he would get for his assistants, so he can negotiate for better salaries for his current ones, and I actually think the assistants need raises, I don't want to see them pursue lateral jobs just for a pay increase. Not having to look for new people every season is a good thing, and keeps continuity which is good on a coaching staff if everything is flowing well.

Also if Dan was really trying to leave, it's not something that really gets out. If you are trying to leave your current job for another one, do you let it be openly known you are looking for another job? Would you tell your boss "Hey, I'm looking around at other jobs, but if things don't work out, I'm going to stay here" Hell no. If anything hearing all this makes me think he is staying more than anything.

I don't know if Dan will be at State forever, but I'm pretty damn sure he won't leave for a lateral or rebuilding job at Maryland or Virginia. He is beyond that at this point and he would be crazy as hell to do that, I just don't see it happening. He makes great $ here, and expectations are realistic with a very supportive fan base and administration.

The only jobs I can see Dan leaving for are historic and better programs such as USCw (don't think he'll like the west coast), Georgia (danger danger), Florida State (danger danger), LSU (maybe?), Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. Maybe Penn State?

Right now the only ones to worry about are USCw, possibly Georgia (may keep Richt), LSU (will they get Jimbo?), and FSU (if Jimbo leaves, I think this is the most dangerous one). I think Richt will be kept one more year, so FSU is concerning, but Jimbo has a 7 year 44mil contract....that's crazy to leave unless LSU is paying big time $$$.

Some of you think Dan is looking for another raise. I don't know if he is or not, but at State we can't pay anyone 5 mil or over at this point because that is just setting that coach up to be fired. 5 mil a year means you better be making the SEC champ game once in a while and then winning it as well, or you'll be gone sooner rather than later. Kevin Sumlin will soon be fired due to this because he is making $ that requires an SEC championship game appearance occasionally, and he has yet to produce and is underachieving. I think Dan is smart enough to know how much he should make with realistic expectations at State currently.

I've also noticed the past two seasons there are a few State fans on here that have come up with an agenda for some reason that it would be okay for Dan to leave and we need to get someone else that they want. I wish these people would stfu and realize they are hurting more than they are helping. And some of these people with "inside knowledge" have been wrong on various occasions. According to them Rick Ray is still our basketball coach, and Ben Howland doesn't even know where Starkville, MS is. I'm also still waiting on "IT" to get here, and I don't even know what the **** "IT" is. We don't need any agendas against Dan like there were against Stansbury (For the record it was time for him to go, but there was an agenda against him for years), and we don't need to be talking about other coaches at the likes of Utah or anywhere else until it is official that Dan has left the building. This is Mississippi State, not freaking Alabama with Bear Bryant or Nick Saban at the head. Let Dan keep building what he has been before giving up on him because if he leaves there's a greater chance that we become the historical doormat once again rather than finding just a replacement equal to Dan. You want to be critical of Dan's coaching and wonder if he'll ever win the SEC and what not, that's fine, we all do it. But trying to set up an agenda to get rid of probably the best damn football coach at State is just utterly damn ridiculous at this point.

I also trust our AD to do all in his power to keep Dan happy at this point, and so far I think he has, and the two seem to really like each other. Dan and his wife and children seem to like it here. He's openly said he loves it here. Will he be here forever? Who knows, but as long as he's here, the coach at State, winning games and improving, support the damn man!
Rumors are just rumors. The only person that knows anything is Dan and his close family, that's it. Until I hear otherwise, Dan is the man. Hail damn State! Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving
http://sportsnola.com/hugh-freeze-makes-sense-as-head-coaching-candidate-at-lsu/

Coach34
11-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Then Mullen needs to tell his agent to stop pushing him into every job hunt. These guys aren't throwing Mullen's name out for the hell of it.

Dawgface
11-26-2015, 07:44 AM
I think the rumors are legit. He probably feels he has hit the ceiling on what he can do here.... competing in the west. But considering what he is paid, he will have a tough time finding a new gig paying more unless he is willing to make a lateral move. And he may very well take one if he truly wants out. If he does, I'll wish him the best and thank him for everything he has done for us.

MafiaDawg
11-26-2015, 07:56 AM

MafiaDawg
11-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Then Mullen needs to tell his agent to stop pushing him into every job hunt. These guys aren't throwing Mullen's name out for the hell of it.

Actually they are doing it for web clicks.

Mutt the Hoople
11-26-2015, 08:10 AM
come up with an agenda
I love it when people talk about "agendas" on a message board. We're fans, we're idiots, that's our agenda.

ClawjoDawg
11-26-2015, 08:14 AM

Every job hunt? Think you might be exaggerating just a little?

Quaoarsking
11-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Whatever happened to Mullen drooling over Staley's potential and seeing him as the Heisman qb who would take us to the championship?

Harrydawg
11-26-2015, 09:25 AM
The agent is doing his job and placing pressure for negotiations (with Stricklin) that are soon to come..........doesn't mean either is wanting to leave. Come on, you know that

Coach007
11-26-2015, 09:48 AM
The agent is doing his job and placing pressure for negotiations (with Strickland) that are soon to come..........doesn't mean either is wanting to leave. Come on, you know that

This. Some people seriously want a change in this board! They push for it every time they get a chance.

Thick
11-26-2015, 09:54 AM
It's "Stricklin" not Strick....LAND". He's our AD, not an amusement park!

Harrydawg
11-26-2015, 10:04 AM
It's corrected.....glad you are on top of it

DownwardDawg
11-26-2015, 10:04 AM
He's not going anywhere. But he would be stupid to squash those rumors when they start. Him and his agent are in it for the money. Plain and simple.

Thick
11-26-2015, 10:38 AM
His agent is doing his job.....get best market price for a pretty good HC. BUT if Dan is wanting to leave, then I want him gone. We've given him everything he's asked for, and yet we have not beaten Bama. No championships opportunities in the West until you beat Bama.

One last thing, if it's about money, why not just meet with Stricklin and discuss it. You have been here 7 years, you are respected, appreciated, and even loved by some. There's no need putting a gun to our head!

SDDawg
11-26-2015, 10:44 AM
His agent is doing his job.....get best market price for a pretty good HC. BUT if Dan is wanting to leave, then I want him gone. We've given him everything he's asked for, and yet we have not beaten Bama. No championships opportunities in the West until you beat Bama.

One last thing, if it's about money, why not just meet with Stricklin and discuss it. You have been here 7 years, you are respected, appreciated, and even loved by some. There's no need putting a gun to our head!

You need data on the job market for leverage with Stricklin. Have to win on Saturday too... If Dan puts together another 10 win season he is going to get more money. Mark it down.

basedog
11-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Agents being agents C34, I'm sure Mullen doesn't care right now what his agent is doing, pretty sure he is focused on the Egg Bowl. We shall see in the coming weeks.

TopDog58
11-26-2015, 11:12 AM
He gone.

And we won't miss a beat with his replacement.

bulldawg28
11-26-2015, 11:17 AM
An agent is like a headhunter for a job. It's always about them and the client.The fact that his agent is possibly doing his job is what he's paid to do. However, all this wanting to leave because his agent is being an
agent is ridiculous. How much you being paid Coach?

HancockCountyDog
11-26-2015, 11:18 AM

I've stayed out of this for awhile, but I've takes to two of the biggest cigar boys about this last night, and there is smoke to these rumors. Now this could all be leverage for another raise, but c34 is right on the money with this. Mullen's agent is shopping his guy.

Maroonthirteen
11-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Mullen's agent gets a commission anytime Dan gets a contract extension and raise. Or a new contract elsewhere. His agent is just doing his job and trying to get them both paid.

Mullen maybe trying to leverage more money out of State but I don't blame him. He is our most successful coach ever.

But regardless, the rumor is out there. Dan commented on it. Take his word for it and focus on Saturday. There will be plenty of time post game to discuss Dan's future

maroonmania
11-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I think the rumors are legit. He probably feels he has hit the ceiling on what he can do here.... competing in the west. But considering what he is paid, he will have a tough time finding a new gig paying more unless he is willing to make a lateral move. And he may very well take one if he truly wants out. If he does, I'll wish him the best and thank him for everything he has done for us.

If Mullen has hit his ceiling at MSU its only because he and a lot of his staff are just average recruiters. While Dan and staff are excellent at identifying under the radar recruits and developing them, he still can't really go against the big boys and get top line guys that aren't from MS. In fact, for the most part, he won't even try. He can get by with this on skill guys because there are a lot more available but its MUCH harder to get by like that on the OL and DL. The only thing holding our team back this year from being legit top 10 is a competent run blocking Oline because we actually, for the first time in memory, have the best QB in the league. Hard to beat teams though that also have top line coaches on any type of consistent basis when they are recruiting top 5 classes consistently while you are struggling to try and get a Top 25 class. Next year we will likely lose our advantage at the QB position.

Coach34
11-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Thats my thing- we have always rewarded him after good seasons. Every time. The only time we didnt extend him was after he went 6-6. He has gotten a raise after every big season. Thats why I'm not buying the money angle.

Coach34
11-26-2015, 11:36 AM
I've stayed out of this for awhile, but I've takes to two of the biggest cigar boys about this last night, and there is smoke to these rumors. Now this could all be leverage for another raise, but c34 is right on the money with this. Mullen's agent is shopping his guy.

Careful- they will accuse you of the A-word

Coach34
11-26-2015, 11:37 AM
An agent is like a headhunter for a job. It's always about them and the client.The fact that his agent is possibly doing his job is what he's paid to do. However, all this wanting to leave because his agent is being an

If Mullen doesnt want out- why not tell his agent to stand down? Why isnt Jimmy Sexton throwing Freezus into every coaching search???

Bully13
11-26-2015, 11:40 AM
I think he's trying to get more money for his assistants. that's one of the glaring differences between programs like ours and the bamers, LSU's and such. we need more money for them to have top quality recruiters that will stay for a while. stability and shit. Dan can't really expect a significant amount of more money for himself. he's got to know he's paid very well all things considered.

SDDawg
11-26-2015, 11:43 AM
If Mullen doesnt want out- why not tell his agent to stand down? Why isnt Jimmy Sexton throwing Freezus into every coaching search???

One thing is different this year - the coaching job market is much hotter than last year so that may be part of what we're seeing. Regardless though, I have a bottle of whatever you drink C34 that says Dan stays.

MrKotter
11-26-2015, 11:43 AM

You mean like Jimmy Sexton does with his clients damn near every year? This is all silly

smootness
11-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Thats my thing- we have always rewarded him after good seasons. Every time. The only time we didnt extend him was after he went 6-6. He has gotten a raise after every big season. Thats why I'm not buying the money angle.

But his name has also been floated in these rumors before. So...

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 11:49 AM
The difference between freeze and Mullen is freeze is a black bear fan. Mullen is a Yankee that has no emotional ties to MS. Let's be honest. If he is offered a "more prestigious" job in his eyes then he is probably gone. It is what it is. We all knew he was never gonna stay.

maroonmania
11-26-2015, 11:52 AM

As I alluded to with my previous post, for Mullen I think a lot of it is about his ability to recruit. IF Mullen does leave I'm sure he wants to go to a job where the school recruits itself because he really doesn't like recruiting much and is certainly not great at it. That's a pretty short list but schools like USCw, Georgia and LSU would be on that short list. If he goes anywhere else he is just stupid. I mean Virginia, Maryland? Please. To not be a top line recruiter he is in about as good a spot as he can be to find under the radar talent. Not many other places like MS where top line athletes get hidden in rural places that most people can't find. You won't be able to get guys like Jonathan Banks, KJ Wright, Brandon Bryant, etc. uncontested in most places. Mullen may try to leave but there are only a very few places that could pay him what he wants, be able to reel in 4 and 5 star recruits on its own and would take to Mullen's quirky personality.

Thick
11-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Well regardless of all of this.....let's just win the Egg, because that's all that matters right now!

gravedigger
11-26-2015, 11:53 AM

Any coach worth anything negotiates from strength when he has a chance. More openings means more strength. It falls in with relentless effort. What we are all speculating on is whether he wants to leave. Anyone not named Mullen is full of shit if they are saying they know either way.

It's normal business.

I do love the "he's gone" comments. Always good to know the posters that are truly desperate for attention.

Vandelaydawg
11-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Well regardless of all of this.....let's just win the Egg, because that's all that matters right now!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Coach34
11-26-2015, 12:09 PM
One thing is different this year - the coaching job market is much hotter than last year so that may be part of what we're seeing. Regardless though, I have a bottle of whatever you drink C34 that says Dan stays.

I've made no prediction that he is gone. I'm saying his agent is shopping him hard though

basedog
11-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Go To Hell Northern University! I can't wait to see the reaction on Senior Night when Dak's name is called out and he runs onto the field at DWS for the last time.

ckDOG
11-26-2015, 12:27 PM
I've made no prediction that he is gone. I'm saying his agent is shopping him hard though

But you have stated that he wants out. Getting to that conclusion based on agents doing agent things is a very liberal assumption.

bulldawg28
11-26-2015, 12:28 PM

He's supposed to

Gordon Gekko
11-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Any coach worth anything negotiates from strength when he has a chance. More openings means more strength. It falls in with relentless effort. What we are all speculating on is whether he wants to leave. Anyone not named Mullen is full of shit if they are saying they know either way.

It's normal business.

I do love the "he's gone" comments. Always good to know the posters that are truly desperate for attention.

I agree with the negotiating with strength angle. We are having a great year with a chance at a Sugar Bowl. It's also Dak's last year. Go ahead and get as much out of this year in case the next one is rebuilding.

Coach34
11-26-2015, 12:47 PM
But you have stated that he wants out. Getting to that conclusion based on agents doing agent things is a very liberal assumption.

Thats not how I got that. The agent's actions are totally different

Coach34
11-26-2015, 12:48 PM
He's supposed to

He's actually not. You dont see every successful coach having his agent do this for him to this extent. Mullen's is working overtime right now. Big difference

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Why are you always typing in LARGE TEXT Grandpa?

DancingRabbit
11-26-2015, 01:24 PM

So how does this work? Dan's agent thinks he's dialing the Virginia AD but mid-dials and gets one of our cigar boys?

Maybe we can blame this on Stingray.

No, not that Stingray
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8sMFG0Z3L3Y/mqdefault.jpg

This Stingray
http://2we26u4fam7n16rz3a44uhbe1bq2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/111014_1538_StingRayTec2.png

bulldawg28
11-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Why are you always typing in LARGE TEXT Grandpa?
I do it to make sure everyone sees it. I think it's working..lol.

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 01:31 PM
I do it to make sure everyone sees it. I think it's working..lol.

-.-

Johnson85
11-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Well you answered your question as to why Mullen's agent would be working overtime if Mullen wants to stay. mullen knows next year will be a step back, and since we didn't extend him after he went 6-6, it's reasonable to think he would want to load up this year in salary and buyout terms.

Bothrops
11-26-2015, 06:03 PM
If Mullen leaves, the decision won't have anything to do with money.

Tough Dawg
11-26-2015, 07:50 PM
It's Megan wanting out as much if not more than Dan. Nothing we or Scott can do. I think we've dodged 1 bullet with VA Tech/Fuente. But if UGA calls then we'll be in search mode. I know we've seen the wife card not liking Stark before but it's true.

But it's not a guarantee by any means. These things happen, but until then let's beat Ole Miss.

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 07:54 PM
It's Megan wanting out as much if not more than Dan. Nothing we or Scott can do. I think we've dodged 1 bullet with VA Tech/Fuente. But if UGA calls then we'll be in search mode. I know we've seen the wife card not liking Stark before but it's true.

But it's not a guarantee by any means. These things happen, but until then let's beat Ole Miss.

I guess you know Meagan personally? Get the **** out of here with that shit.

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Now Barton Simmons is calling Mullen to Maryland. If Mullen wants to leave for Maryland then good ****ing riddance.

Noxdog
11-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Now Barton Simmons is calling Mullen to Maryland. If Mullen wants to leave for Maryland then good ****ing riddance.

Link?

gravedigger
11-26-2015, 08:11 PM

Whats more, living here in starkville, i heard her parents could not get over the fact we dont have sidewalks on highway 12.

Deal killer i tell ya. We were one sidewalk away from all our football dreams.

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Link?

Don't know how to post a link but its on the front page of 247

Tough Dawg
Who's Meagan? And take a step away from ledge you're standing on that is a result of who or who isn't our football coach next year. Go mix a drink and hug someone. I would hug youi ifI was there. Get ready for possibly one of the biggest Egg Bowls we've seen in a while.

ScottH
Barton Simmons article from this AM.

http://247sports.com/Article/Projecting-the-coaching-dominos-41408921

Mullen to Maryland.

Sonny Dykes (Cal) or Larry Fedora ( UNC) to MSU.

Tough Dawg
11-26-2015, 08:15 PM
You think her parents have any equity in their Starkvile home? You think it be tough to sell it, pick up and move?

Quaoarsking
11-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Don't know how to post a link but its on the front page of 247

You literally just copy and paste the URL into a message and it will automatically convert to a link...

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Barton Simmons article from this AM.

http://247sports.com/Article/Projecting-the-coaching-dominos-41408921

Mullen to Maryland.

Sonny Dykes (Cal) or Larry Fedora ( UNC) to MSU.

Lol Sonny Dykes is 6-20 in the Pac12. Haha there's no ****ing way he's coaching here.

Quaoarsking
11-26-2015, 08:29 PM

He says in the article that they are all just "fun projections" rather than anything based on inside information. I wouldn't put any stock into it.

gravedigger
11-26-2015, 08:30 PM
You think her parents have any equity in their Starkvile home? You think it be tough to sell it, pick up and move?

I live in Starkville. It's not hard to tell on a message board who is giving inside info and those who are trolling when it comes to Starkville.

Equity in a home. Tough to sell. That's your response?

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 08:32 PM
You literally just copy and paste the URL into a message and it will automatically convert to a link...

Thanks for the heads up. Never done it before. I think it's a success when I figure out how to turn the computer on

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 08:33 PM
I live in Starkville. It's not hard to tell on a message board who is giving inside info and those who are trolling when it comes to Starkville.

Equity in a home. Tough to sell. That's your response?

That dude is just talking out of his ass. Stirring the pot

Tough Dawg
11-26-2015, 08:34 PM
That was a joke, Mr. Monster Truck name. I was a gravedigger fan by the way.

I've been reading all this crap for the last couple of days and felt the need to contribute. Prob shouldn't have, but whatever. You guys have fun.

PendingTransaction
11-26-2015, 08:36 PM
If Meagan needs a Costco or if 4mil ain't enough for Dan, I'll help them pack! I don't see Dan as some greatly desired coach by the marquee programs. And he's not jockeying for more assistant money. He just like his mentor, Urban. They know so damn much that they don't value assistant coaches. Just check; Myers won a natty but his assistants barely breaks the top 50 in pay.

gravedigger
11-26-2015, 08:45 PM
That was a joke, Mr. Monster Truck name. I was a gravedigger fan by the way.

I've been reading all this crap for the last couple of days and felt the need to contribute. Prob shouldn't have, but whatever. You guys have fun.

Will do. Thanks

Bothrops
11-26-2015, 09:08 PM
That 247 guy is just making wild guesses, that's all. How in the hell could he possibly know what he's talking about, concerning Mullen, or State?

preachermatt83
11-26-2015, 09:10 PM

The one glaring problem with this is that IF dan really wanted out then the cigar boys would be the LAST to know. Now, if he was leveraging then they would be the first to know.

DancingRabbit
11-26-2015, 09:10 PM
If Meagan needs a Costco or if 4mil ain't enough for Dan, I'll help them pack! I don't see Dan as some greatly desired coach by the marquee programs. And he's not jockeying for more assistant money. He just like his mentor, Urban. They know so damn much that they don't value assistant coaches. Just check; Myers won a natty but his assistants barely breaks the top 50 in pay.

As of a year ago OSU's assistant staff was the 8th highest paid staff in the country. Sounds reasonable.

I think Dan and Megan are good people, and Dan's a good coach. I hope they stay, and I don't believe Dan's anxious to leave despite all the expert sources. If a top 10 program comes after him I don't blame him for being interested.

I think it's a little premature to start slandering Dan and Megan.

DancingRabbit
11-26-2015, 09:11 PM
The one glaring problem with this is that IF dan really wanted out then the cigar boys would be the LAST to know. Now, if he was leveraging then they would be the first to know.

Bingo!

preachermatt83
11-26-2015, 09:12 PM

It's normal business.

Good post!

preachermatt83
11-26-2015, 09:14 PM
So how does this work? Dan's agent thinks he's dialing the Virginia AD but mid-dials and gets one of our cigar boys?

Maybe we can blame this on Stingray.

No, not that Stingray
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8sMFG0Z3L3Y/mqdefault.jpg

This Stingray
http://2we26u4fam7n16rz3a44uhbe1bq2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/111014_1538_StingRayTec2.png

BOOM! Exactly!!

Churchill
11-26-2015, 09:26 PM
I don`t get why so many think Mullen can just point his finger and get any job he wants at any pay he wants. I got news for everybody...he may leave but it won`t be to one of the glamour schools because they threw their bank account at him. He`s been wonderful for us but I just don`t have him down as a truly elite coach. We shall see.

Coach34
11-26-2015, 09:40 PM

except that cigar boys have friends of other Universities that enlighten them to information that they wouldnt hear from their own side.

"George, this is Mike. Long time no see since you guys played over here in Athens. My good friend Thomas is a Maryland grad-and he told me this morning they were putting together a package for Dan Mullen to steal him away from you guys. I thought you guys were happy with him? Ya'll running him off?"

These things happen constantly...and I'm not saying he is going to Maryland...just an example of how word gets around

Pollodawg
11-26-2015, 09:47 PM
People fanning this non existent flame right before the biggest game of the year tells me all I need to know about some folks on here who are far more interested in being right then they are about MSU's future.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-26-2015, 09:53 PM
except that cigar boys have friends of other Universities that enlighten them to information that they wouldnt hear from their own side.

"George, this is Mike. Long time no see since you guys played over here in Athens. My good friend Thomas is a Maryland grad-and he told me this morning they were putting together a package for Dan Mullen to steal him away from you guys. I thought you guys were happy with him? Ya'll running him off?"

These things happen constantly...and I'm not saying he is going to Maryland...just an example of how word gets around

You do realize every university can put together a package deal. I'm sure Maryland has put together several packages for several coaches. All Maryland has to do is call, say hey Dan we have a package deal for you to come here, care to listen? Dan: Sure, let's hear what you got! Oh that sounds good, I'll give it some thought and consider my options.

Every coach will listen and act interested in other job offers to gauge their worth. If that's all that has occurred then this is all ridiculous bs.
Nick Saban and others had package offers to Texas a couple of years ago, lots of coaches act interested and use it for leverage and what not. Just because their is an offer on the table doesn't mean Mullen is trying so damn desperately to get out of Starkville or so I've heard...

Charlie_Sheen420
11-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Also I want to say I remember Mullen saying he never cared to shovel any more snow from his driveway for the rest of his life. Pretty sure it snows in Maryland....

Coach34
11-26-2015, 10:04 PM
People fanning this non existent flame right before the biggest game of the year tells me all I need to know about some folks on here who are far more interested in being right then they are about MSU's future.

No kidding. Guys like Barton Simmons, other writers at 247, the guy at SBNation, Feldman....it really sux what they are doing

Those guys are very plugged into college football and know that Mullen is paid well at State...so if they are putting his name out- they are hearing it from somewhere- otherwise- why in the hell would they pick Dan Mullen and not someone else???

PendingTransaction
11-26-2015, 10:05 PM
As of a year ago OSU's assistant staff was the 8th highest paid staff in the country. Sounds reasonable.

I think Dan and Megan are good people, and Dan's a good coach. I hope they stay, and I don't believe Dan's anxious to leave despite all the expert sources. If a top 10 program comes after him I don't blame him for being interested.

OSU is more like 38th in asst. salaries. Luke Fickell just got to 700k in 2015. I'm not slandering anyone. Dan might be worth 6 mil to us, but he's not to elite programs.

Churchill
11-26-2015, 10:14 PM
I doubt he was making 4 mil the last time he shoveled

MrKotter
11-26-2015, 10:20 PM
This thread is full of tinfoil hat wearing mfers.

HancockCountyDog
11-26-2015, 10:20 PM
No kidding. Guys like Barton Simmons, other writers at 247, the guy at SBNation, Feldman....it really sux what they are doing

Those guys are very plugged into college football and know that Mullen is paid well at State...so if they are putting his name out- they are hearing it from somewhere- otherwise- why in the hell would they pick Dan Mullen and not someone else???

This times 1000.

Also, from what I hear, we tried to talk to his agent this week to work on an extension and was told to wait until end of season. That has been the biggest red flag to me.

Now, this could all just be posturing, my gut tells me it is, but make no mistake Mullen's agent is chumming the water.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-26-2015, 10:34 PM
This times 1000.

Also, from what I hear, we tried to talk to his agent this week to work on an extension and was told to wait until end of season. That has been the biggest red flag to me.

Now, this could all just be posturing, my gut tells me it is, but make no mistake Mullen's agent is chumming the water.

We waited until the end of the season last year before Dan signed an extension, it's not unusual

MabenMaroon
11-26-2015, 10:41 PM
This times 1000.

Go back and look at the history of Coach Mullen and the timing of his previous contract extensions and raises. Not a single one was worked out before National signing day. That s CDM's m.o., he negotiates late and signs late compared to the rest of the college coaching community. He has always been very non-plussed and seemingly unconcerned about that aspect of his job. Hell, Coach Mullen was seemingly very late in announcing Coach Diaz's return to DC. a lot of folks were bitching about the effect it might have on our recruiting class.
One thing is for sure, this thread and the similar ones have sure generated a lot of hits and traffic. Good job C34, way to generate some extra Christmas cash, good job!

DancingRabbit
11-26-2015, 10:42 PM
OSU is more like 38th in asst. salaries. Luke Fickell just got to 700k in 2015. I'm not slandering anyone. Dan might be worth 6 mil to us, but he's not to elite programs.

Got a link?

Last year their staff was ranked 8th. I don't find 2015 national numbers anywhere, but OSU's total assistant pay went up by nearly $500K in 2015 so I doubt they dropped from 8th to 38th.

For 2014 -

But the Buckeyes' assistant coaches are actually the eighth-highest paid staff overall with a combined salary of $3,592,025 ? the highest in the Big Ten. Schools ahead of them on that list are LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, Texas and UCLA.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46190/for-their-amount-of-success-are-ohio-states-assistant-coaches-being-underpaid

It was mainly your Megan and Costco comment that rubbed me the wrong way.

Political Hack
11-26-2015, 11:14 PM
PT got it right. Dan is worth more to us than he will be to any other program, and we'll likely decide to pay him. They're shaking the tree right now, just like they always do.

Dan competes and that translates from the football field to wanting to be one of the most respected coaches in the country. He's also consistently one of Sexton's hottest clients. This is what they do. They do it consistently. You'd think our fans would be used to this by now.

ScottH
11-26-2015, 11:25 PM
He's also consistently one of Sexton's hottest clients. .

Did he move from Rick Diamond?

PendingTransaction
11-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Got a link?

Last year their staff was ranked 8th. I don't find 2015 national numbers anywhere, but OSU's total assistant pay went up by nearly $500K in 2015 so I doubt they dropped from 8th to 38th.

For 2014 -

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46190/for-their-amount-of-success-are-ohio-states-assistant-coaches-being-underpaid

It was mainly your Megan and Costco comment that rubbed me the wrong way.

Can you read? The article you linked states: "Ohio State's top paid assistant coach — co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Luke Fickell — comes in as just the No. 34 paid assistant on the list with a total salary of $600,000." He's their highest paid assistant. He was raised to 700k after winning the championship. Again, Dan, like Myers don't believe in paying assistants well. Myers paid Dan and crew poorly at Florida.

DancingRabbit
11-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Can you read? The article you linked states: "Ohio State's top paid assistant coach — co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Luke Fickell — comes in as just the No. 34 paid assistant on the list with a total salary of $600,000." He's their highest paid assistant. He was raised to 700k after winning the championship. Again, Dan, like Myers don't believe in paying assistants well. Myers paid Dan and crew poorly at Florida.

I can read fine. The overall assistant staff pay is ranked 8th.

You said "OSU is more like 38th in asst. salaries". That's not true. Either you lack comprehension skills or you are just trying to argue, rather poorly at that.

I do agree with one point you made earlier, that Dan is more valuable to State than he is to most other programs.

I would like to see our assistants paid well, but our athletic budget this last year was 4th lowest of all P5 schools. I think we did give Manny a good comp package and hopefully we can bump the other guys a little more this year, especially if we win the next two.

Todd4State
11-27-2015, 12:09 AM
PT got it right. Dan is worth more to us than he will be to any other program, and we'll likely decide to pay him. They're shaking the tree right now, just like they always do.

Dan competes and that translates from the football field to wanting to be one of the most respected coaches in the country. He's also consistently one of Sexton's hottest clients. This is what they do. They do it consistently. You'd think our fans would be used to this by now.

It's really not that different than any other line of work. It's just that football coaches have agents.

I think this is happening in part because Dan thinks we are going to finish strong and if that happens he's trying to put himself in position to maximize his pay.

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 12:23 AM
It's really not that different than any other line of work. It's just that football coaches have agents.

I think this is happening in part because Dan thinks we are going to finish strong and if that happens he's trying to put himself in position to maximize his pay.

That's very plausible. Other reasons could be gaining leverage to avoid conversations about Hev, making sure you get a raise and an extension before a transition year next season, trying to get your assistants a raise, etc...

People seem to forget this is a business.

preachermatt83
11-27-2015, 12:26 AM

Its a LOOOONNGG way from "we are getting a package together to try to get your coach " to " Dan wants out of starkville". Grasping for straws.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-27-2015, 12:42 AM

I'm fine with giving him a raise as long as he keeps producing like he has, and he definitely needs to make more than Freeze who I think makes slightly more at the moment. My only concern is when it gets around the 5 mil mark that's dangerous territory. To me and many others 5mil means you better be making conference championship games and winning them sometimes. I think everyone at that level currently has that on their resume except Kevin Sumlin and Charlie Strong, and they are both on some hot seats at the moment. You don't want to negotiate for 5 mil and get yourself fired for doing so when you can't meet those expectations yet. Do I think Dan can meet those expectations, yes, but it is going to take some continued building and time. I think Dan is worth 5 mil to State because of all the attention he has brought to the program which has brought in $ to the athletic department and school itself, but you also have to produce 5 mil results with a 5 mil contract. We definitely need to increase pay to assistants and keep continuity among that group as long as they have a good flow and are producing results as well.

Todd4State
11-27-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm fine with giving him a raise as long as he keeps producing like he has, and he definitely needs to make more than Freeze who I think makes slightly more at the moment. My only concern is when it gets around the 5 mil mark that's dangerous territory. To me and many others 5mil means you better be making conference championship games and winning them sometimes. I think everyone at that level currently has that on their resume except Kevin Sumlin and Charlie Strong, and they are both on some hot seats at the moment. You don't want to negotiate for 5 mil and get yourself fired for doing so when you can't meet those expectations yet. Do I think Dan can meet those expectations, yes, but it is going to take some continued building and time. I think Dan is worth 5 mil to State because of all the attention he has brought to the program which has brought in $ to the athletic department and school itself, but you also have to produce 5 mil results with a 5 mil contract. We definitely need to increase pay to assistants and keep continuity among that group as long as they have a good flow and are producing results as well.

Well there is also inflation. 10 years ago 2-3 million meant you better win a championship. The salaries keep going up and up...at some point 5 million may not mean you better win a championship. Not saying we are there yet necessarily but I think we're getting close if we're not.

HoopsDawg
11-27-2015, 01:57 AM
Well there is also inflation. 10 years ago 2-3 million meant you better win a championship. The salaries keep going up and up...at some point 5 million may not mean you better win a championship. Not saying we are there yet necessarily but I think we're getting close if we're not.

Been almost 0 inflation the last 8 years. Dan makes enough. Beat Ole Miss and win the bowl game and we can give him a slight raise.

Dawgface
11-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Been almost 0 inflation the last 8 years. Dan makes enough. Beat Ole Miss and win the bowl game and we can give him a slight raise.

Agree. He makes 4 mil a year and the 16th highest paid in the country. We are not under paying him.

Dawg61
11-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Agree. He makes 4 mil a year and the 16th highest paid in the country. We are not under paying him.

16th highest paid in the nation in a top 10 cheapest cost of living area. His 4 mill in California doesn't stretch as far as his 4 mill in StarkVegas. Not even close.

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 10:08 AM
16th highest paid in the nation in a top 10 cheapest cost of living area. His 4 mill in California doesn't stretch as far as his 4 mill in StarkVegas. Not even close.

I'm glad you're not the one ponying up for his salary!

Dawgtini
11-27-2015, 10:17 AM

Exactly.

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 10:32 AM
If someone is slandering Megan, please report the post because that won't be tolerated.

Even though I think it's undeserved, y'all can rip Dan. That's why he gets paid the big bucks. He's an SEC coach and should have pretty thick skin. I don't see message board fodder bothering a guy making $4million a year.

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 10:32 AM
If someone is slandering Megan, please report the post because that won't be tolerated.

Even though I think it's undeserved, y'all can rip Dan. That's why he gets paid the big bucks. He's an SEC coach and should have pretty thick skin. I don't see message board fodder bothering a guy making $4million a year.

gravedigger
11-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Todd isnt talking about economic inflation. He's talking about market demand inflation. It has nothing to do with "enough". Its about generated revenue for the school and how much of that mullen represents that msu believes we cannot easily replicate without paying MORE.

Homedawg
11-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Did he move from Rick Diamond?

No. Still w Diamond.

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 12:36 PM
No. Still w Diamond.

Lol. Sorry. I refer to every agent as Sexton.

PendingTransaction
11-27-2015, 01:01 PM

I was accused of "slandering" Megan. My comment was "if Megan wants to be in a place with a Costco or Dan needs more than 4 million, I will help them pack." Not sure how that was interpreted as slandering her.

gravedigger
11-27-2015, 01:11 PM
I was accused of "slandering" Megan. My comment was "if Megan wants to be in a place with a Costco or Dan needs more than 4 million, I will help them pack." Not sure how that was interpreted as slandering her.

I dont think you did. Saying "If Megan wants..." Is speculation.

Stating you know it for a fact to elicit a response is for another place and time.

PendingTransaction
11-27-2015, 01:18 PM

This is the post. Gravedigger, you are one crazy guy!

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Everyone likes Costco. That's not slander.

Dawg61
11-27-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm glad you're not the one ponying up for his salary!

Not sure what this has to do with what I posted?

gravedigger
11-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Not sure what this has to do with what I posted?

Seems you were rationalizing not paying more for dm. Hack thinks we should.

ScottH
11-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Everyone likes Costco.

Except the folks of Dinsmoor.

Political Hack
11-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Seems you were rationalizing not paying more for dm. Hack thinks we should.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

blacklistedbully
11-27-2015, 02:54 PM

If you think a guy making $4 mil per year gives a shit about the COL diff between MS and Cali or Georgia, you're kidding yourself.

Dawg61
11-27-2015, 03:30 PM
If you think a guy making $4 mil per year gives a shit about the COL diff between MS and Cali or Georgia, you're kidding yourself.

He should otherwise he comes across as a greedy bastard if he's already basically demanding a raise not even a year after he was made the 16th highest coach. Did he beat Bama and LSU this year? Did he do something more special than last year when he got a raise? I like Dan a lot and wouldn't mind him staying for a long time but if he and his agent are already trying to squeeze more money out of MSU than he can get the **** on basically. He ain't that good and he's stubborn as **** really. Shumpert up the middle durrrrr fart.

Bothrops
11-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Except the folks of Dinsmoor.

Yeah, I wouldn't build in MS either if I were Costco, except maybe Desoto County.