PDA

View Full Version : The Book on Geoff Collins(what to expect)...

engie
08-02-2013, 12:15 AM
I've seen alot of speculation about this, so I figured I'd do my numbers thing and give people an idea of what's coming...

Keep in mind that, in his one year as a DC previously(2010 at FIU), he was a Broyles Award finalist for the nation's top assistant coach per his MSU bio: http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205075838 This is something Manny Diaz never accomplished @ MTSU.

Bold is under Collins... I can go back and add or hash this out to whatever extent anyone would like, but this is the stuff that seemed pertinent in the immediate sense...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130802-azal-18kb.jpg

Easy to see why he was a Broyles finalist IMO...

Covercorner2
08-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Another interesting item to point out to Bear fans is that his defense out-performed Wommack's during the same time in the same conference...

FlabLoser
08-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Awesome sauce.

SignalToNoise
08-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Wow. Opponent 3rd down conversion was 91% in 2009. That's horrible.

Can someone help me out with Turnover Gain? Is lower better?

hacker
08-02-2013, 08:24 AM

I believe those are all team rankings. So lower is always better.

Homedawg
08-02-2013, 08:48 AM

91st in the country. Not 91% given up. I'm pretty sure all those are rankings not percentages.

SignalToNoise
08-02-2013, 08:57 AM
91st in the country. Not 91% given up. I'm pretty sure all those are rankings not percentages.

Well, I feel rather stupid now, but thanks for the explanation. 91 to 21 is significant improvement either way.

Political Hack
08-02-2013, 09:51 AM
clearly a gambling defense. In the 60's in scoring, but great rankings in the TFL and sacks departments, which is obviously going to make you good on 3rd downs. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of big plays on D this year, but we'll also give a lot up. With our offense, I think this is a great year for a transition to a risk/reward type defense. We might end up being the most exciting 7 win team in the country. That and sending OM back to their perpetual hole of ignorance and misery will make me happy.

Irondawg
08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Turning this into yet another bear thread - i'm still shocked Wommack's defense worked so well for them last year. I thought teams (including us) would just pound away at their undersized line until they were exhausted by the 4th quarter. But nobody seems to really go with that formula

CadaverDawg
08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
clearly a gambling defense. In the 60's in scoring, but great rankings in the TFL and sacks departments, which is obviously going to make you good on 3rd downs. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of big plays on D this year, but we'll also give a lot up. With our offense, I think this is a great year for a transition to a risk/reward type defense. We might end up being the most exciting 7 win team in the country. That and sending OM back to their perpetual hole of ignorance and misery will make me happy.

This^

engie
08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
This is Richie Brown talking about it a bit today... We're going to see a WHOLE lot more attacking this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDoZv7DGEh0&feature=youtu.be

Barking 13
08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
"Mayhem" and "Juice" are two words I keep hearing repeatedly...

engie
08-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I think we are going to gamble a bit more -- but after watching the crap last year, I much prefer getting daggered on a big play occasionally to the slow death of simply not stopping ANYTHING.

We gave up alot more big plays under Diaz than we did under Wilson(comparing 2010 to 2011) and ended up roughly the same in scoring defense. I don't think you could find a single MSU fan anywhere that would prefer the 2011 defense to the 2010 model.

We expect to attack. It's in our lifeblood as a program. Every really good MSU team we've ever lived to see was a blitz-happy attacking defense...

FlabLoser
08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I think we are going to gamble a bit more -- but after watching the crap last year, I much prefer getting daggered on a big play occasionally to the slow death of simply not stopping ANYTHING.

THIS!

Especially against elite teams. If you are going to wait for an elite team to beat themselves you have no chance. You've got to let it all hang out and go after it.

I can see playing conservative against a Kentucky or somebody. But against good teams, you have to go for it.

reddog
08-02-2013, 12:04 PM
this
THIS!

Especially against elite teams. If you are going to wait for an elite team to beat themselves you have no chance. You've got to let it all hang out and go after it.

I can see playing conservative against a Kentucky or somebody. But against good teams, you have to go for it.

I seen it dawg
08-02-2013, 12:38 PM

I've got to think we have much better talent than what he had to work with before which could make the numbers even better.

Barking 13
08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Having the right guy in the right place, or, from what I'm comprehending, the right guys that can play anywhere at any given play. And, backups that won't miss a beat...

blacklistedbully
08-02-2013, 12:59 PM
When the other guy has a lot more apples in his apple cart than you do, and they're as good or better, you'd better damn well find a well to "upset his apple cart" if you want to win. An aggressive, gambling defense can do this. Never any guarantees when you gamble, but you can't win big if you don't bet big sometimes.

Political Hack
08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
agree. you can always drop back in a safe coverage. but it's hard to teach a team to press when the entire scheme is designed to be soft and hope the offense makes a mistake.

sandwolf
08-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Completely agree. Wilson's defense was incredibly frustrating to watch.

I seen it dawg
08-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Completely agree. Wilson's defense was incredibly frustrating to watch.

Frustrating? Sandwolf it was like getting hemmorhoids lanced painful to watch.