PDA

View Full Version : WBB continuing to do work

starkvegasdawg
11-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Beat MVSU 109-37.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 10:58 PM
And I believe they are number 8 in the country as well. They could have a special year potentially.

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Beat MVSU 109-37.

Damn does Ray coach MVSU?

starkvegasdawg
11-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Damn does Ray coach MVSU?

Doubt it. The score was too high.

djaymsu5
11-25-2015, 09:38 AM
If the east didn't have #2 South Carolina and #4 Tennessee then I would say we will win the SEC. We still could but we would have a lot better shot. Once McCown and Chinwe really figure it out we will be really good. They already look good but once they start playing some better teams we will see what they can do. I still think we got a ways to go to be a final four team but we should make the sweet 16 and possibly the elite 8 this year. Next year will be when we make our run. We will have the PG transfer from OK State eligible and then the 4 star guard we just signed to sub in with a more experienced front court in McCown and Chinwe. I see us really making a run next year if not this year with some luck.

djaymsu5
11-25-2015, 09:40 AM
I really wish since Vic is so good at coaching zone defense that he could help Howland teach our men's team a good zone defense. I know it's women's and men's but it's the same concept.

bgover4
11-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Im glad we don't have to worry about any of em leaving early for the WNBA. Vic is building something special too and the Hump might soon have a lot of banners.

smootness
11-25-2015, 10:55 AM
If the east didn't have #2 South Carolina and #4 Tennessee then I would say we will win the SEC. We still could but we would have a lot better shot. Once McCown and Chinwe really figure it out we will be really good. They already look good but once they start playing some better teams we will see what they can do. I still think we got a ways to go to be a final four team but we should make the sweet 16 and possibly the elite 8 this year. Next year will be when we make our run. We will have the PG transfer from OK State eligible and then the 4 star guard we just signed to sub in with a more experienced front court in McCown and Chinwe. I see us really making a run next year if not this year with some luck.

The fact that Tennessee and SC are in the East helps us, though. We only play each once, and we get them both at home.

So SC plays Tennessee at home, Tennessee on the road, and State on the road. Tennessee plays SC at home, SC on the road, and State on the road. We play SC at home and Tennessee at home. If we can at least split those two games, we have a leg up in the SEC race.

I do agree, though, that our run is likely to come next year. In women's basketball, there is a big gap between the top few teams and everyone else. Next year we actually could be one of those top few teams.

maroonmania
11-25-2015, 11:09 AM
I know we have a good WBB team this year but its really hard to make any evaluations on HOW good playing these VERY bad teams. Will be glad when we actually play a decent team. I was actually quite disappointed with our performance against Samford but I realize that was the first game. Samford is, by far, the best team we've played to date though.

Thompson92
11-25-2015, 11:15 AM
We play #8 Texas next week and #17 USF in a few weeks, hope the team is ready.

smootness
11-25-2015, 03:59 PM
I know we have a good WBB team this year but its really hard to make any evaluations on HOW good playing these VERY bad teams. Will be glad when we actually play a decent team. I was actually quite disappointed with our performance against Samford but I realize that was the first game. Samford is, by far, the best team we've played to date though.

We didn't play well against Samford. But we shot under 33% from the field and 10% from 3 and still won by 21.

MabenMaroon
11-25-2015, 04:34 PM
I really wish since Vic is so good at coaching zone defense that he could help Howland teach our men's team a good zone defense. I know it's women's and men's but it's the same concept.

Coach Vic can't stand for the team to play zone, wants man all day long. He does go to it when trying to protect against foul trouble, but they are pretty decent in whatever d-scheme they play. He was plenty upset when the gals took the foot off the gas defensively late in the 3rd and throughout the 4th last night, even though it was the 3rd team players.
It was good to see LaKaris ( The Ticket ) go off last night and she was running the floor hard and consistently as well. She has an amazing touch with the ball. If she could lose about 20 more lbs. she will be an all SEC type player. T' Mac is still looking a bit clumsy and lost at times but makes up for it with her size and strength.
This team is extremely deep, which is what is needed to compete at the elite level in the SEC as well as nationally. Looks like the starters are playing just enough in the games to keep from getting rusty, Coach is keeping them well rested for the stretch ahead.

On another note: Pretty sure I saw Kylin Hll, Kobe Jones and AJ Brown at the game last night and a good many of the frosh and soph's from the football team.

Bothrops
11-25-2015, 04:42 PM

I'm not sure coaching is the problem with the men's team.

djaymsu5
11-26-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure coaching is the problem with the men's team.

Yea I'm aware the talent we have on the men's team sucks for the majority but my gosh you don't have to be a All American to play defense. I just don't understand it. You can't tell me that Southerns players were any higher rated coming out of high school as our guys yet they played their asses off and played with heart. When you're not that talented the one thing you should have is a scrappy bunch with heart and that can play some D.

I seen it dawg
11-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Yea I'm aware the talent we have on the men's team sucks for the majority but my gosh you don't have to be a All American to play defense. I just don't understand it. You can't tell me that Southerns playerst happen. were any higher rated coming out of high school as our guys yet they played their asses off and played with heart. When you're not that talented the one thing you should have is a scrappy bunch with heart and that can play some D.

And the roster has to be turned over to make that happen. It's gonna take this season to tear it down.

smootness
11-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Yea I'm aware the talent we have on the men's team sucks for the majority but my gosh you don't have to be a All American to play defense. I just don't understand it. You can't tell me that Southerns players were any higher rated coming out of high school as our guys yet they played their asses off and played with heart. When you're not that talented the one thing you should have is a scrappy bunch with heart and that can play some D.

You can be as scrappy as you want, but you still have to have a certain level of athleticism and instinct. Ready lacks instinct, and Ware lacks athleticism. They are our two biggest problems on defense, and there's no good solution.

djaymsu5
11-26-2015, 12:13 PM
You can be as scrappy as you want, but you still have to have a certain level of athleticism and instinct. Ready lacks instinct, and Ware lacks athleticism. They are our two biggest problems on defense, and there's no good solution.

This is very true!

djaymsu5
11-26-2015, 12:16 PM
But my thing is were Ready and Ware that bad on defense last year? I didn't watch a lot of men's bball last year on the count of us being so bad I couldn't bare it. Seems like the times I did watch we were not that bad on defense but I could be wrong

DudyDawg
11-26-2015, 12:18 PM
How's the 6'7 girl? She just big or is she any good

djaymsu5
11-26-2015, 12:30 PM
How's the 6'7 girl? She just big or is she any good

She's still learning and has a ways to go but she's very promising. She can play. She should be able to go up and get every rebound near her. Her put backs need a little work but she's made every free throw I've seen her shoot.

maroonmania
11-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Well I know Daniels has no instinct. Makes some really dumb basketball plays.