PDA

View Full Version : It's gets more laughable.

ScottH
11-24-2015, 05:17 PM
So Pat Forde debunks Football Scoop this AM says Fuente to Virginia Tech has been a done deal for a while.

Now at mid afternoon Gridiron now has Dan as top choice at Maryland. Maryland??

Dan will leave one day. Maybe much sooner than later. Who knows.

I'm almost certain when he does, where he goes will be a surprise to the media and not bandied about for weeks.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2015, 05:21 PM
I don't think Maryland will be willing to pay what he makes now. I guess when these guys come up with the rumors to spread they really don't do any research on how much money they are already making. I guess they assume since it Miss State he is only making 1 million or less.

Coach34
11-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Ive heard Mullen was talking to Georgia and SC. I'd be beyond shocked if it was Maryland

OdaMaeBrown
11-24-2015, 05:42 PM
No way Fuente goes to VT and why in the hell would Dan even consider Maryland. There are some jobs out there that he might consider, but Maryland wouldn't be one of them.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Ive heard Mullen was talking to Georgia and SC. I'd be beyond shocked if it was Maryland

Dan is at best 3rd on South Carolina's wish list.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Georgia is the only halfway reasonable one so far

Coach34
11-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Dan is at best 3rd on South Carolina's wish list.

maybe- I cant say who they want- but have supposedly had contact with Mullen's agent.

shannondawg
11-24-2015, 05:50 PM

He damm well better be talking to his players about this weeks game.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 05:54 PM
maybe- I cant say who they want- but have supposedly had contact with Mullen's agent.

I feel pretty confident in saying Mullen won't be South Carolina next coach.

MSUDawg99
11-24-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm hearing now that SUPPOSEDLY one of UGA's Dept heads has been saying Mullen since 2011...McGarity's man. Which would mean Richt to Miami or FSU if Jimbo goes to LSU???

Coach34
11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
He damm well better be talking to his players about this weeks game.

I'm sure he's focused on this week. Hell- Richt may win out to get to 10 and save his job another season. Lots of moving parts going on.

Best thing Mullen could do for his coaching career is to win Saturday and get State into the Sugar Bowl

EAVdog
11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Mullen ain't going to Maryland or South Cackalacky. Demotion and lateral move at best. I also saw somewhere that Hevesy is rumored to be in the running at ULM. I know for a fact that ain't true.

BeardoMSU
11-24-2015, 05:57 PM
I feel pretty confident in saying Mullen won't be South Carolina next coach.

I hate people who insist on referring to themselves in the 3rd person**********

GreenheadDawg
11-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Every ****ing year it's the same shit. Mullen to here, Mullen to there.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-24-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm sure this will help seal the deal with some of those recruits on the fence...

missouridawg
11-24-2015, 06:06 PM
For the potential openings this season, the only 3 or 4 that's scare me are:

UGA - if they fire Richt
FSU - if LSU fires Miles and Jimbo takes it
Texas - if Strong goes to Miami
Notre Dame - if Strong goes to Miami and B. Kelly takes Texas

Also, don't forget Chip Kelly could be on his way back to the college game too.

Every other job in the nation that could potentially be open is lateral or unattractive. Including both USCs.

defiantdog
11-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Don't forget that Kiffin wants out Bama, and Smart needs to either shit or get off the pot. It's almost like he's scared to take a head coaching job. I could see either of those guys at Maryland next year.

Coach34
11-24-2015, 06:11 PM

UGA - if they fire Richt

Every other job in the nation that could potentially be open is lateral or unattractive. Including both USCs.

Sometimes people will take a lateral move because its easier to win the East than the West.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Sometimes people will take a lateral move because its easier to win the East than the West.

At South Carolina it's just marginally easier.

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
It would look horrible for Dan to leave for Carolina. Lateral move at best. Please don't let us lose a coach to a team that just got embarrassed by The Citadel.

War Machine Dawg
11-24-2015, 06:16 PM
I don't think Maryland will be willing to pay what he makes now. I guess when these guys come up with the rumors to spread they really don't do any research on how much money they are already making. I guess they assume since it Miss State he is only making 1 million or less.

Dude, Maryland is friggin' LOADED. They're being backed by UnderArmour the way Nike backs Oregon. If they're really serious about becoming a factor in football, they can pay to get a top tier coach. Will it be Mullen? I doubt it. But don't be surprised if they make a splash hire. Of all the things Maryland has going against them, money isn't one.

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Ifyouonlyknew, what are you hearing about Dan possibly leaving?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 06:20 PM
If UGA or USC called I'd help him pack. Those are the only 2 jobs open or potentially open I'm worried about. Unless another top 5-10 job open.

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 06:26 PM
If UGA or USC called I'd help him pack. Those are the only 2 jobs open or potentially open I'm worried about. Unless another top 5-10 job open.

When you say USC, you mean Southern California, right. not Carolina right. That would be embarrassing lol

Political Hack
11-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Mullen ain't going to Maryland or South Cackalacky. Demotion and lateral move at best. I also saw somewhere that Hevesy is rumored to be in the running at ULM. I know for a fact that ain't true.

Same place Keoning was rumored to be in the running for right before he was pushed out. They may have put this play on repeat.

Mullen at SC just doesn't fit.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 06:27 PM
When you say USC, you mean Southern California, right. not Carolina right. That would be embarrassing lol

There's only 1 USC. There's USC & there's South Carolina.

Political Hack
11-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Dude, Maryland is friggin' LOADED. They're being backed by UnderArmour the way Nike backs Oregon. If they're really serious about becoming a factor in football, they can pay to get a top tier coach. Will it be Mullen? I doubt it. But don't be surprised if they make a splash hire. Of all the things Maryland has going against them, money isn't one.

There's ZERO talent in that area. Everyone plays basketball. Football is after lacross. Plus they have to compete with the DC area attractions for attendance (Nats, Skins, Wiz, Hoyas, etc...). Maryland just isn't a big draw for that area and no amount of fancy uniforms is going to make it so.

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 06:30 PM
There's only 1 USC. There's USC & there's South Carolina.

Awesome. I wouldn't blame him a bit in the world for taking that job.

War Machine Dawg
11-24-2015, 06:36 PM
There's ZERO talent in that area. Everyone plays basketball. Football is after lacross. Plus they have to compete with the DC area attractions for attendance (Nats, Skins, Wiz, Hoyas, etc...). Maryland just isn't a big draw for that area and no amount of fancy uniforms is going to make it so.

Thus why I said, "of all the things Maryland has going against them..." I'm not saying they've got anything outside of money to make it an attractive job. But people sneering at Maryland based on money is nuts. That is literally the one thing Maryland has plenty of.

Political Hack
11-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Thus why I said, "of all the things Maryland has going against them..." I'm not saying they've got anything outside of money to make it an attractive job. But people sneering at Maryland based on money is nuts. That is literally the one thing Maryland has plenty of.

True. That area in general is loaded and the UA Baltimore connection is huge.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 06:51 PM
It's being reported that Tom Herman & South Carolina have agreed in principle to a deal.

Thick
11-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Rich Rod wants out at Arizona. If Dan leaves, I would go after him.

War Machine Dawg
11-24-2015, 07:22 PM
True. That area in general is loaded and the UA Baltimore connection is huge.

6 of the 10 richest counties in the US are surround DC.

Saltydog
11-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Houston..........

Political Hack
11-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Footballscoop meant Mullen to Houston.***

HSVDawg
11-24-2015, 07:34 PM
There's ZERO talent in that area. Everyone plays basketball. Football is after lacross.

So the Wedding Crashers line, "Crabcakes and football, that's what Maryland does!" is not accurate?

Perpetual Underachiever
11-24-2015, 08:07 PM
So the Wedding Crashers line, "Crabcakes and football, that's what Maryland does!" is not accurate?

Slow clap for any "Wedding Crashers" reference.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Chazz-Reinhold-Is-Ready-To-Party-After-The-Meatloaf-In-Wedding-Crashers.gif

Coach34
11-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Gonna be interesting- many of our own people think he's gone. December wont be boring fo sho

ScottH
11-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Gonna be interesting- many of our own people think he's gone. December wont be boring fo sho

Are we equipped to make the correct hire? Assuming Adidas doesn't have one on ice for us.

That's elephant in the room question to me.

SheltonChoked
11-24-2015, 08:23 PM
I'd add Southern Cal to the list. But yeah those are the only ones that scare me for Dan leaving.

Braden Gall on Sirius radio last night was talking up Mullen as a better option than Miles for LSU. Said the negative on Dan is he comes across as an arrogant asshole, but that's what you have to be to get the results he has.

Coach34
11-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Are we equipped to make the correct hire? Assuming Adidas doesn't have one on ice for us..

That scares all of us. Get RichRod and Whittingham's agents on speed dial

starkvegasdawg
11-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Are we equipped to make the correct hire? Assuming Adidas doesn't have one on ice for us.

That's elephant in the room question to me.

Hud to MSU.***

IMissJack
11-24-2015, 08:41 PM
If it were to happen, someone better be in Stricklin's ear, because after Ray hire, I don't trust him alone.

cheewgumm
11-24-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm with ifyouonlyknew" - if Mullen goes to UGA or USC, I'd thank him and wish him well. He would have to take those IMO.

OurState
11-24-2015, 08:50 PM

Georgia makes sense (doesn't mean he would end up doing, I woulda thought Freeze to FL made sense) but USCe? Why?

Is that more than a lateral move? Just to get back to the East?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 08:51 PM
I've heard the same rumors as Coach34 & others have. I just don't see the connection. I could be wrong though.

DancingRabbit
11-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Dan doesn't really want to go anywhere. Just give him more support staff for recruiting, assistant raises

and one of these bad boys
http://r2.aviationpros.com/files/base/image/CAVC/2014/02/16x9/640x360/525---corporate---static---stu_11316167.jpg

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Rich Rod? The dude at Michigan we beat 52-14?

BeardoMSU
11-24-2015, 09:21 PM

He's a good coach; Michigan was just a horrible fit for him.

Coach34
11-24-2015, 09:27 PM

He's 32-20 in rebuild at Arizona with a trip to the Pac-12 Champ game. He is a good coach

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 09:28 PM

If Mullen did leave Rich Rod would be 1 of my 1st calls.

Coach34
11-24-2015, 09:32 PM
2 of our last 4 coaching hires have been Rockey Felker and Sylvester Crooms- Whittingham and RichRod are miles ahead of the past and shows where our program is now

Barking 13
11-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Dan doesn't really want to go anywhere. Just give him more support staff for recruiting, assistant raises

and one of these bad boys
http://r2.aviationpros.com/files/base/image/CAVC/2014/02/16x9/640x360/525---corporate---static---stu_11316167.jpg

Doable.... They make them out by the airport.....

PassInterference
11-24-2015, 09:43 PM
2 of our last 4 coaching hires have been Rockey Felker and Sylvester Crooms- Whittingham and RichRod are miles ahead of the past and shows where our program is now

Didn't realize that.

Meanwhile, UNM's list of quick fixes is Freeze, Orgeron, Nutt, Tubberville, Brewer, Sloan.

Taog Redloh
11-24-2015, 09:44 PM
If Mullen did leave Rich Rod would be 1 of my 1st calls.

Yep

sandjunky
11-24-2015, 09:52 PM
What if RichRod went east and the ninja called Mullen

Thick
11-24-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd add Southern Cal to the list. But yeah those are the only ones that scare me for Dan leaving.

Braden Gall on Sirius radio last night was talking up Mullen as a better option than Miles for LSU. Said the negative on Dan is he comes across as an arrogant asshole, but that's what you have to be to get the results he has.

Southern Cal has already hired a coach per Colin Cowherd. He says it's a big name coach that will come with the biggest salary in the country. Said the deal is done, but if the name is leaked that it is off. Says that's part of their agreement.

RC3
11-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Southern Cal has already hired a coach per Colin Cowherd. He says it's a big name coach that will come with the biggest salary in the country. Said the deal is done, but if the name is leaked that it is off. Says that's part of their agreement.
That's intirguing

msstate7
11-24-2015, 09:56 PM

Who would be worth making the highest paid coach in the country? Who belongs in the group of Saban, Meyer, and harbaugh? Doubt the hire is in that group, so I'd guess chip Kelly

Thick
11-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Rich Rod would kill it at MSU with the talent that Dan would be leaving him with. Rich Rod would need DL and OL recruiting immediately, but he should have connections all over, east to west.

msstate7
11-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Rich Rod would kill it at MSU with the talent that Dan would be leaving him with. Rich Rod would need DL and OL recruiting immediately, but he should have connections all over, east to west.

Rich hasnt recruited at a high level at Arizona... Not saying this should eliminate him from contention

PassInterference
11-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I'd Dan leaves, would it be too much to ask for a coach that is good at offense and good at recruiting?

MabenMaroon
11-24-2015, 10:07 PM
I thought this thread was supposed to be laughable, then about half-way through everybody starts getting real serious about this possibility and that possibility. On second thought, it was laughable after all.

fccee1
11-24-2015, 10:20 PM
My source is on the inside. They loveGeorgia. If this offer is there they will go. Other than that likely to stay with MSU

DancingRabbit
11-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I suspect when it all shakes out C34 and Todd will be disappointed.

Dan probably likes working for Keenum and Stricklin. New bosses are a crap-shoot.

Probably comes down to what Megan thinks.

DancingRabbit
11-24-2015, 10:28 PM
My source is on the inside. They loveGeorgia. If this offer is there they will go. Other than that likely to stay with MSU

Yeah, that's the only one that worries me. Let's hope Richt wins out.

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Would Rich Rod even come if State called him? If I had to guess, I would thin Dan stays, tho. He just doesn't have that "I'mma about to bolt" vibe going to me.

GreenheadDawg
11-24-2015, 10:50 PM
I would be shocked if Georgia even offered Mullen. He's not a big enough name. Their boosters would shit a brick

IMissJack
11-24-2015, 10:52 PM
I would be shocked if Georgia even offered Mullen. He's not a big enough name. Their boosters would shit a brick

He has as much of a pedigree as Richt did when they hired him.

preachermatt83
11-24-2015, 10:58 PM
It is VERY UNLIKELY that Mullen goes anywhere. The SEC unwritten poaching rule is still very much in effect. There is one job in America Dan would leave State for hands down outside of the SEC and it ain't USC.

Blackout
11-24-2015, 11:09 PM
Randy Shannon - HC/Defense
Steve Sarkisian - AHC/Offense

As a fallback plan

HSVDawg
11-24-2015, 11:14 PM

Far more of a pedigree, actually. Richt had never even been a HC when he was hired. He had only been the OC at FSU under Bowden for several years. Richt's experience was about equal to Mullen's before he ever took our job.

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:28 PM
Who would be worth making the highest paid coach in the country? Who belongs in the group of Saban, Meyer, and harbaugh? Doubt the hire is in that group, so I'd guess chip Kelly

Gruden

msstate7
11-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Gruden

Could be... Not sure why he wouldn't want name leaked though

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-24-2015, 11:33 PM
One name no one has mentioned us going after if Dan left is Mark Richt. What would you guys think about him? I know the perception would be that we took the coach that Georgia didn't want, etc. We could certainly (and have) done worse. More contacts in the state of Georgia than anyone else I can think of. Fertile recruiting ground.

Guess we could dub the Egg bowl the Holy Egg with he and Freezus.

One of my top choices would have to be Whittingham at Utah. I just like his intensity. Watch the followup clip to see for yourself. This was from a game in 2007 when the Wyoming coach "guaranteed" a win against Utah. Seems it didn't sit too well with Whittingham. You can see the results. I thought about some of the crap the Bears did last year (Elston cheap shot on Dak/C.J. Johnson spitting on Dak) and wondered what Whittingham would do if he were facing them this week. I don't think we'd ever take a knee if that opportunity ever arose.

Be sure and watch at the 4:28 mark to see a familiar face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZx5i7LMKu0

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:45 PM
I think we should consider Jim Leavitt if Dan was to move on.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 11:46 PM
Hi Maryland fans. Glad to see you guys are reading.

preachermatt83
11-24-2015, 11:49 PM
One name no one has mentioned us going after if Dan left is Mark Richt. What would you guys think about him? I know the perception would be that we took the coach that Georgia didn't want, etc. We could certainly (and have) done worse. More contacts in the state of Georgia than anyone else I can think of. Fertile recruiting ground.

Guess we could dub the Egg bowl the Holy Egg with he and Freezus.

One of my top choices would have to be Whittingham at Utah. I just like his intensity. Watch the followup clip to see for yourself. This was from a game in 2007 when the Wyoming coach "guaranteed" a win against Utah. Seems it didn't sit too well with Whittingham. You can see the results. I thought about some of the crap the Bears did last year (Elston cheap shot on Dak/C.J. Johnson spitting on Dak) and wondered what Whittingham would do if he were facing them this week. I don't think we'd ever take a knee if that opportunity ever arose.

Be sure and watch at the 4:28 mark to see a familiar face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZx5i7LMKu0

I don't know what exactly has happened at UGA with Richt but he is a good football coach. He would not be in my top 3-4 but def in my top 10. So would Lester

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:50 PM
Randy Shannon - HC/Defense
Steve Sarkisian - AHC/Offense

As a fallback plan

I don't think Starkville is the greatest place for a struggling alcoholic to live in.

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:55 PM
I don't know what exactly has happened at UGA with Richt but he is a good football coach. He would not be in my top 3-4 but def in my top 10. So would Lester

He's just been there too long. They want new blood. It happens to everyone not named Saban or Coach K. Eventually people want something new because it has gotten stale or boring. This applies to just about everything.

I would not want Richt because I think he would be fractured mentally for awhile.

Pollodawg
11-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Every AD in the country keeps a list of replacements handy. You can bet Scott has one. Personally, I think it's moot, to be honest, because I just don't feel like Mullen is going anywhere. I could be wrong of course.

And no. Absolutely not to Richt. When Dan leaves, I want another spread guy.

Lloyd Christmas
11-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Hi Maryland fans. Glad to see you guys are reading.

The level of idiocy right now on Maryland boards is pretty entertaining.

preachermatt83
11-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Pie in the Sky (won't get them but make them say no to 5 mil)
Art Briles
Mike Gundy

Next in line
RichRod
Wittingham
Sarkisian

Last resort
Monken
Mike Leach
Lester
Bronco Mendenhall
Kirby Smart
Mark Richt

*This is assuming Dan leaves ( I don't think he will) and Herman(to carolina) and Fuente (to VaTech) are off the table.

Blackout
11-25-2015, 12:24 AM
I don't think Starkville is the greatest place for a struggling alcoholic to live in.

Less distractions. Focus all on football. Less spotlight as a OC

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 12:32 AM
I suspect when it all shakes out C34 and Todd will be disappointed.

Dan probably likes working for Keenum and Stricklin. New bosses are a crap-shoot.

Probably comes down to what Megan thinks.

Why would I be disappointed?

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 12:37 AM

My guess is someone in the NFL that probably has something in their contract about talking to other teams/colleges during the season.

Blackout
11-25-2015, 12:43 AM
My guess is someone in the NFL that probably has something in their contract about talking to other teams/colleges during the season.

Peyton Manning! Hey, why not. Id take him as an OC

Dawg61
11-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Peyton Manning! Hey, why not. Id take him as an OC

Pretty sure the Titans want Peyton to be part owner

War Machine Dawg
11-25-2015, 12:53 AM

Actually, he has even more of a pedigree. Richt was OC for Bowden at FSU. No HC experience. He'd been an OC for just 6 years. Mullen has been a successful SEC HC for 7, plus his time as OC with Meyer.

Dawg61
11-25-2015, 12:57 AM
The level of idiocy right now on Maryland boards is pretty entertaining.

Do share

FISHDAWG
11-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Awesome. I wouldn't blame him a bit in the world for taking that job.

yeah but out there $6 mil is less than $4.5 mil here .... anyone here ever bought a taco or cheese-burger out there ?

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2015, 09:28 AM

UGA's hiring history says they won't hire a big name - last 4 were an AU assistant, UGA assistant, I-AA HC, & FSU OC. Other than Jim Harrick, name a splashy hire they have made in any sport?

engie
11-25-2015, 09:52 AM
If Dan was looking to leave as some would seemingly have us believe --- he would have done a ton of things differently trying to pull out that one extra win to polish the resume at the expense of the future, such as, but not limited to:
Pulling the rs off the 4* rb with bama and fsu offers when those issues became obvious.
Pulling the rs off the #1 juco OT when our issues at that spot showed, and especially after the injuries.
Pulling the rs off either of the highly recruited corners, especially the refined one, when Redmond went down.

Our three biggest issues this year as a team -- and Dan was still unwilling to sacrifice the future to fix the present. IMO when/if he's truly getting ready to make a move -- these are the types of things that will change...

msstate7
11-25-2015, 09:58 AM
If Dan was looking to leave as some would seemingly have us believe --- he would have done a ton of things differently trying to pull out that one extra win to polish the resume at the expense of the future, such as, but not limited to:
Pulling the rs off the 4* rb with bama and fsu offers when those issues became obvious.
Pulling the rs off the #1 juco OT when our issues at that spot showed, and especially after the injuries.
Pulling the rs off either of the highly recruited corners, especially the refined one, when Redmond went down.

Our three biggest issues this year as a team -- and Dan was still unwilling to sacrifice the future to fix the present. IMO when/if he's truly getting ready to make a move -- these are the types of things that will change...

Good points

Coach34
11-25-2015, 10:07 AM

disagree

The RB's aren't ready to play as Freshmen because he doesn't trust them to pass block and such.
Rankin wasn't in our top 9-10...that's why he RS'ed.

And no no coach other than Crooms would ever pull a RS in the 7th-8th game of the season unless you just didn't have anybody else. I'm not saying Mullen is leaving- but those reasons have nothing to do with it

engie
11-25-2015, 10:23 AM
disagree

The RB's aren't ready to play as Freshmen because he doesn't trust them to pass block and such.
Rankin wasn't in our top 9-10...that's why he RS'ed.

And no no coach other than Crooms would ever pull a RS in the 7th-8th game of the season unless you just didn't have anybody else. I'm not saying Mullen is leaving- but those reasons have nothing to do with it

You're prerogative is well-known at this point.

He might not trust them with that --- although he should with Gibson --- but he didn't trust a damn rb we've got running the rock. So what gives then?

Rankin not in the top 10? Pls.

Redmond went down mid season... You absolutely burn a redshirt that almost never happened in the first place there if it can help you win another game or two when you are looking to get out of town.

Johnson85
11-25-2015, 10:55 AM
I'd be beyond shocked if it was Maryland

Maryland actually makes a lot of sense if Dan is tired of the grind and if the Underarmour guys thought he was worth paying for. He could get a very good contract out of them and immediately have lower expectations and easier competition. That would come with the problem of having to recruit in Maryland, but I suspect he could recruit well enough to immediately get them bowl eligible, which I'm sure at this point would get him a ton of goodwill at Maryland, just like he did when he came to state. He gets Maryland to where he got MSU two years ago, and he'll get 6 years easy with a lot less stress and work than it will take to compete in the SECW. Another 6 years at say $5M per and he presumably would be able to retire at 50 with $20 to $30M in the bank.

I don't think that's where Mullen's head is at all, but it's not completely crazy.

Coach34
11-25-2015, 10:57 AM
I agree you burn a RS on a CB if you think he can help you at midseason- regardless of whether you stay or not. The fact we didn't tells me we didn't think he could at that point

Statefan
11-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Maryland actually makes a lot of sense if Dan is tired of the grind and if the Underarmour guys thought he was worth paying for. He could get a very good contract out of them and immediately have lower expectations and easier competition. That would come with the problem of having to recruit in Maryland, but I suspect he could recruit well enough to immediately get them bowl eligible, which I'm sure at this point would get him a ton of goodwill at Maryland, just like he did when he came to state. He gets Maryland to where he got MSU two years ago, and he'll get 6 years easy with a lot less stress and work than it will take to compete in the SECW. Another 6 years at say $5M per and he presumably would be able to retire at 50 with $20 to $30M in the bank.

I don't think that's where Mullen's head is at all, but it's not completely crazy.

It's probably SLIGHTLY easier than the SEC West but he would still be in the same division as MSU, Michigan, OSU and Penn State
I guess there is an argument to be had as to whether it would be tougher to win there vs at State in the SEC

Thick
11-25-2015, 11:33 AM

I was thinking maybe Chip Kelly.

preachermatt83
11-25-2015, 11:35 AM

This

Jack Lambert
11-25-2015, 11:38 AM

The problem is will they spend it and if so why have they not done it? I think it's because it's the Eastern Sea Board and they love NFL more.

OdaMaeBrown
11-25-2015, 11:43 AM

If we had better players that could contribute and redshirted them, that would be crazy. I think you are grasping at straws here.

Johnson85
11-25-2015, 11:46 AM
It's probably SLIGHTLY easier than the SEC West but he would still be in the same division as MSU, Michigan, OSU and Penn State
I guess there is an argument to be had as to whether it would be tougher to win there vs at State in the SEC

It's easier at the bottom end, which is why I mentioned getting Maryland to where State was two years ago. Basically every year there is like our 2012 schedule. There are 8 wins for the taking and then there's a considerable jump to win the next game. I think it'd probably be harder to get over that hump at Maryland, but it'd be easier to stay at that 7-8 win per year level at Maryland than it would be at MSU. He could probably get there in two years and then stay there without any major problems. I don't know what Maryland's administration is like, but I'm guessing he could do that for five years before anybody really became unsatisfied.

I don't think Dan is wired to do that (don't think very many coaches that make it to his level are wired to do that), but if he wanted more family time while simultaneously stashing large sums of money away for his kids, grandkids, etc., that'd be a pretty decent way to do it.

HSVDawg
11-25-2015, 11:46 AM

At the time of year those decisions were made, I'm sure he had every intention of staying. He may still have that intention. However, let's not act like he had an offer on the table from USC back when we were sitting at 4-2 when Redmond got hurt. The fact is, none of these negotiations / agreements kick into high gear until mid-November at the earliest. Until that time he has no choice but to coach like he's staying and planning to be here for the next 2-3 years, regardless of his long term goals or intentions. The same holds true for any coach.

Coursesuper
11-25-2015, 12:16 PM

This is a nice argument but, in a situation like his you have to play both sides of the fence. You have to be prepared to stay and to continue to achieve at the level you have been while preparing and negotiating to leave at the same time. I've seen it and done it in my business.

BankerDog
11-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Mullen had already turned Maryland down once earlier in his career. The only job he would leave for would be that UGA job should it come open.

msstate7
11-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Mullen had already turned Maryland down once earlier in his career. The only job he would leave for would be that UGA job should it come open.

To me, Maryland makes no sense. It wouldn't be any easier to win a Natty there than here. In fact, it's probably harder... 2 of the best coaches (Meyer and harbaugh) in the country are in that division, Michigan state is about to be a playoff team after winning rose bowl & cotton bowl (new year's 6), and oh, Penn state is knocking down a top 5 recruiting class this year.

Meanwhile here in the west... Miles is most likely out soon and who knows who will replace him. Saban is winding down his career, while Mullen is the youngest coach in the west... He can outlast Saban. Om has proven they can't turn a top 5 class into any more than we can a top 30. aTm could be a giant, but they aren't.

DudyDawg
11-25-2015, 12:44 PM

UGA - if they fire Richt

Did you really just try to say Southern Cal is lateral for State? If not, my bad. If so, you're an idiot

TrapGame
11-25-2015, 12:46 PM
To me, Maryland makes no sense. It wouldn't be any easier to win a Natty there than here. In fact, it's probably harder... 2 of the best coaches (Meyer and harbaugh) in the country are in that division, Michigan state is about to be a playoff team after winning rose bowl & cotton bowl (new year's 6), and oh, Penn state is knocking down a top 5 recruiting class this year.

Meanwhile here in the west... Miles is most likely out soon and who knows who will replace him. Saban is winding down his career, while Mullen is the youngest coach in the west... He can outlast Saban. Om has proven they can't turn a top 5 class into any more than we can a top 30. aTm could be a giant, but they aren't.

If Miles, Saban and Freeze were comfortably cemented into top 10 programs I could see Mullen going to UGA but I think there's about to be a big shake up in the West. Miles gone, Saban going to NFL or USCw and the NCAA hammering UNM. Mullen may be on the verge of the best run State has ever had in the SEC.

engie
11-25-2015, 12:50 PM
If we had better players that could contribute and redshirted them, that would be crazy. I think you are grasping at straws here.

I can name countless players he's done this with.

HSVDawg
11-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Engie I'll tentatively give you credit for having what has seemed to be at least above average knowledge of college football talent evaluation. With that, I pose a question. Would pulling the redshirts off Rankin, Smitherman, and Gibson been the difference in winning vs. losing against Alabama? Because if the answer to that question is "no", then what are we even talking about? That is the only game Mullen could have won down the stretch that would have thrust him to the forefront of any elite job opening. USC isn't going to care if he finishes 9-3 or 8-4 if they want him.

DudyDawg
11-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I can't understand that some of you think going to a Maryland means his life would be easier. Just because the games aren't as tough on Saturday doesn't mean he won't travel and recruit and have the same amount of obligations. He wouldn't just get more free time by leaving the SEC, that's stupid. Also, why would he leave and go somewhere that probably has the same or lower ceiling as us and it would take him a few years of work to get just to where he already is with no real hope of going higher.

AusTexDawg
11-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Pie in the Sky (won't get them but make them say no to 5 mil)
Art Briles
Mike Gundy

Next in line
RichRod
Wittingham
Sarkisian

I'm curious why Sark would be on this list. I was under the impression that the only reason he got the USC job in the first place with a mediocre record at Washington was because Pat Haden wanted to keep it in the Pete Carroll coaching tree. He may be a good OC, but I wasn't impressed with his HC tenures before all of the personal turmoil became public knowledge. I hope he takes his rehab seriously and can make a comeback, but I don't want to be a part of that comeback attempt.

engie
11-25-2015, 01:10 PM
This is a nice argument but, in a situation like his you have to play both sides of the fence. You have to be prepared to stay and to continue to achieve at the level you have been while preparing and negotiating to leave at the same time. I've seen it and done it in my business.

And you totally missed my point. Which was not a refute against him leaving if a perfect situation came along(USC, Georgia), but a refute of him actively trying to get out of there(Maryland, va tech, etc). Two vastly different things. If Mullen was trying to take a job such as Maryland, which was a given as an option to him this year with the expectations and Dak as a senior, he would have played his cards differently this year...

Johnson85
11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
I can't understand that some of you think going to a Maryland means his life would be easier. Just because the games aren't as tough on Saturday doesn't mean he won't travel and recruit and have the same amount of obligations. He wouldn't just get more free time by leaving the SEC, that's stupid. Also, why would he leave and go somewhere that probably has the same or lower ceiling as us and it would take him a few years of work to get just to where he already is with no real hope of going higher.

The games not being as tough absolutely would give him more free time if he wanted it. Maryland is at a point right now that a coach would be fellated for consistently keeping them in bowls. Excluding 2012, the 5th and 6th best team that state plays will usually be a good bit better than the 5th and 6th best team Maryland will play. He won't be in as fertile a recruiting ground, but even so, it will be easier for him to maintain that 6 to 8 win pace at Maryland than it will be at MSU, where depending on our east draw, our 5th and 6th best team we play could will usually be a team like Arkansas, UM or Auburn, depending on who is down in a particular year.

FISHDAWG
11-25-2015, 01:35 PM

I kinda wish he would take the road that Charlie Strong did - Charlie announced early on that he was not interested in the Miami job and laid that speculation to rest ..... I'm not sure of this but I don't EVER remember Mullen doing that in the past. I'm not sure if he is trying to parlay speculation for a raise or if he just enjoys it ... and everyone can save the "it's his right to move on" - I get that .... but I just loved how C Strong came out and showed everyone that he's still committed to his task at hand

DudyDawg
11-25-2015, 01:41 PM
The games not being as tough absolutely would give him more free time if he wanted it. Maryland is at a point right now that a coach would be fellated for consistently keeping them in bowls. Excluding 2012, the 5th and 6th best team that state plays will usually be a good bit better than the 5th and 6th best team Maryland will play. He won't be in as fertile a recruiting ground, but even so, it will be easier for him to maintain that 6 to 8 win pace at Maryland than it will be at MSU, where depending on our east draw, our 5th and 6th best team we play could will usually be a team like Arkansas, UM or Auburn, depending on who is down in a particular year.
I don't see how those games give him more free time. Yeah it might be easier work for 60 minutes on a few saturdays a year. The rest would be just as much work, especially with how many major schools are in the area recruiting what's already slimmer pickings. Would he no longer be recruiting in person? No media appearances? Maybe he would start taking Fridays off**

Also, weren't we at a point where we would've fellated any coach who consistently got us bowls? Why would he want to go restart that somewhere else and then in 6 years be in the exact same place as he is now.

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2015, 01:51 PM
I kinda wish he would take the road that Charlie Strong did - Charlie announced early on that he was not interested in the Miami job and laid that speculation to rest ..... I'm not sure of this but I don't EVER remember Mullen doing that in the past. I'm not sure if he is trying to parlay speculation for a raise or if he just enjoys it ... and everyone can save the "it's his right to move on" - I get that .... but I just loved how C Strong came out and showed everyone that he's still committed to his task at hand

I don't know - the "I have a job that I love" earlier this week is pretty close to that. I think we get too worked up about this. Every year it is the same thing, rumors are spread by people who a)can't fathom why a coach could be happy to be at MSU long term; or 2) have and agenda like FootballScoop.

Pollodawg
11-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Remember that one time he was going to Miami, then Penn St., then OSU or wherever it was he was supposed to be going, and he totally went..........

Coursesuper
11-25-2015, 02:02 PM
And you totally missed my point. Which was not a refute against him leaving if a perfect situation came along(USC, Georgia), but a refute of him actively trying to get out of there(Maryland, va tech, etc). Two vastly different things. If Mullen was trying to take a job such as Maryland, which was a given as an option to him this year with the expectations and Dak as a senior, he would have played his cards differently this year...

Well from what you wrote I just don't understand how I misinterpreted that. My bad. Look it boils down to this if UGA and Richt part ways there is a real possibility that the guy leaves us. So be it. We move on and hope Scott doesn't screw up.

mstatefan91
11-25-2015, 02:37 PM
I think Mullen has been a lock at a different program more times in the media than the number of wins we have this year...

And for all of their talk about not worrying about State, OM fans seem to be actively rooting for him to leave lol

Johnson85
11-25-2015, 03:01 PM
I don't see how those games give him more free time. Yeah it might be easier work for 60 minutes on a few saturdays a year. The rest would be just as much work, especially with how many major schools are in the area recruiting what's already slimmer pickings. Would he no longer be recruiting in person? No media appearances? Maybe he would start taking Fridays off**

Also, weren't we at a point where we would've fellated any coach who consistently got us bowls? Why would he want to go restart that somewhere else and then in 6 years be in the exact same place as he is now.

You are missing the point of pretty much everything I've said. The game work wouldn't be easier 60 minutes a few saturdays a year. It's not like he's going to take a ice cream break during the damn game just because the opponents are easier. But in college football games are mostly won or lost well before kickoff. His margin of error everywhere gets easier. So maybe film sessions shut down at 11pm instead of 1am. Maybe he lets an assistant coach handle a few more off campus visits to recruits. etc.

And nobody ever argued that Mullen would go to Maryland to end up in the same place he is now. It would be to basically replay 2009 through 2013 at around $5M or $6M per while enjoying the honeymoon period again. Because he has raised expectations at MSU so much, winning 6, then 7, and then 8 wins the next three years would have a vocal if small contingent of the MSU fan base calling for his head (how small the contingent would be would probably depend on whether UM was doing better). At Maryland, he can probably get another big extension if he averages 7 wins for his 2nd and 3rd year.

This is all sort of devil's advocate. I was just pointing out why Maryland would make sense; but the type of person it would make sense for is somebody who just wants to "cruise" through another four to six years of work (cruise in this context meaning averaging something like 55 hours a week instead of 70) while minimizing stress and maximizing income. Of course people with that type of personality typically won't make it to an SEC head coach position to begin with, much less stay there for seven years. But for a lot of normal people (which of course doesn't typically describe an SEC HC), going to a job with lower expectations (and therefore less stress and less criticism) for more money would be appealing, especially if they could already retire without worry and they were working now primarily to set their family.

deadheaddawg
11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
It is VERY UNLIKELY that Mullen goes anywhere. The SEC unwritten poaching rule is still very much in effect. There is one job in America Dan would leave State for hands down outside of the SEC and it ain't USC.

What would the SEC do about it?

(Answer is nothing)

chef dixon
11-25-2015, 03:36 PM
This whole rumor thing was constructed by people that don't know anything (including us) after a big win Saturday. If we lost that game we would have half our fans trying to run him out of town this week.

Coach34
11-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Remember that one time he was going to Miami, then Penn St., then OSU or wherever it was he was supposed to be going, and he totally went..........

State people have never said he might leave before. This is the 1st time I've thought it was possible

Coach34
11-25-2015, 04:21 PM
This whole rumor thing was constructed by people that don't know anything (including us) after a big win Saturday. If we lost that game we would have half our fans trying to run him out of town this week.

I posted the rumor- so are you calling me liar?

Coach34
11-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Rumor mill now saying Smart to SC

OdaMaeBrown
11-25-2015, 05:56 PM

The rules are that the person redshirting has to be better and have the mental skills down. If they don't meet that criteria then you are talking out your ass as usual.

Pollodawg
11-25-2015, 07:24 PM
State people have never said he might leave before. This is the 1st time I've thought it was possible

Meh. If he goes, he goes. I wish him the best unless its somewhere else in the SEC, then he's on his own. I'll always appreciate what he's done here. But I will say this, whooping OM's ass one last time and possibly helping State play its way into the Sugar Bowl would be one helluva parting gift.

And with the talent we've assembled, I think another spread type, offensive minded coach could come in and win pretty quickly. The transition wouldn't be that bad I don't believe. I will say, though, that if he does leave, and we are ever between coaches and he is between jobs, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

SPMT
11-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Who has actually done this?

SPMT
11-25-2015, 07:40 PM

He interviewed for Miami in some capacity. I've heard MSU employees say they feared he may go to Penn State, people who actually worked in the athletic department.

Of course if UGA, LSU, the real USC, Texas, Florida, ND called he's 99.9% gone. Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, Va Tech, gtfoh.

Pollodawg
11-25-2015, 07:47 PM
He interviewed for Miami in some capacity. I've heard MSU employees say they feared he may go to Penn State, people who actually worked in the athletic department.

Of course if UGA, LSU, the real USC, Texas, Florida, ND called he's 99.9% gone. Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, Va Tech, gtfoh.

One of those those six teams is already looking for a coach, and three more on that list are a real possibility. I don't see the dude splitting for the ACC and South Carolina. I think Richt saves his job, but I think Miles is done. Charley Strong remains to be seen. And I am not sure how Dan would go over in Hollywood. He may not even be on their radar.

SPMT
11-25-2015, 10:48 PM
One of those those six teams is already looking for a coach, and three more on that list are a real possibility. I don't see the dude splitting for the ACC and South Carolina. I think Richt saves his job, but I think Miles is done. Charley Strong remains to be seen. And I am not sure how Dan would go over in Hollywood. He may not even be on their radar.

So a realistic 17% chance, basically and that's if LSU fires Miles. Only those idiots would fire a coach that averages 10 wins per year.

I seen it dawg
11-25-2015, 11:09 PM
I think the scenario where he would leave would be the LSU-FSU chain reaction. Only thing at this point I could see. And that's very plausible.

cheewgumm
11-25-2015, 11:11 PM
In all honesty if Mullen leaves, I say good luck! He's done great here. He should be proud.

If it happens, I am anxious to find out why he wants out much. I get it if it's "I've been there for X years and done all i can do.". If it is something juicier, I'm anxious to find out.

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 11:18 PM

I think you have handicapped that pretty well. If Dan went to Texas, the good news is we would probably keep Manny.

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 11:19 PM
So a realistic 17% chance, basically and that's if LSU fires Miles. Only those idiots would fire a coach that averages 10 wins per year.

I'm pretty sure Miles is done.

engie
11-25-2015, 11:30 PM
The rules are that the person redshirting has to be better and have the mental skills down. If they don't meet that criteria then you are talking out your ass as usual.

Love it when people accuse you of talking out of your ass -- yet they want you to define intelligence relative to a point in time and differentiate between multiple individuals in the process. Sounds easy enough**

SPMT
11-25-2015, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Miles is done.

Probably so, still a bunch of fools. Who's going to average more than 10 wins, win more than one NC, and play for more than one......

Coach34
11-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Probably so, still a bunch of fools. Who's going to average more than 10 wins, win more than one NC, and play for more than one......

LSU has now lost 5 straight to Bama- thats what is getting him fired. They expect to play for the SEC title every year- just like Bama does- and anything less is seen as a bad season. I'm not saying its right- but thats how the majority thinks

SPMT
11-25-2015, 11:42 PM
LSU has now lost 5 straight to Bama- thats what is getting him fired. They expect to play for the SEC title every year- just like Bama does- and anything less is seen as a bad season. I'm not saying its right- but thats how the majority thinks

They don't have close to Bama's history. Can't wait to watch them flounder like Florida. They will beat Bama a couple times with a new coach but lose to State, Ole Miss, and Auburn. Bunch of fools.

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 12:49 AM

I don't believe Miles is gone for a second. I think LSU people have leaked that because they are hoping Miles will just quit but nobody pays $18-$30 mill (if you include the next coach's buyout too). Nobody. Name me another school in the history of college football to pay $18 mill to fire a coach? LSU is just a bunch of whiny blowhards right now.

IMissJack
11-26-2015, 08:26 AM
I don't believe Miles is gone for a second. I think LSU people have leaked that because they are hoping Miles will just quit but nobody pays $18-$30 mill (if you include the next coach's buyout too). Nobody. Name me another school in the history of college football to pay $18 mill to fire a coach? LSU is just a bunch of whiny blowhards right now.

Notre Dame to Charlie Weiss approximately $18M buyout I believe.

I seen it dawg
11-26-2015, 08:41 AM

You underestimate the crazy. The money is sitting on the table. It's done.

GreenheadDawg
11-26-2015, 08:50 AM

I know from very high ups here in Baton Rouge that it is a done deal. The money is spoken for and they have more than enough to send him on the first thing smoking. The AD better pull the trigger or he may be next on the chopping block. That's how serious they are down here

I seen it dawg
11-26-2015, 08:54 AM
I know from very high ups here in Baton Rouge that it is a done deal. The money is spoken for and they have more than enough to send him on the first thing smoking. The AD better pull the trigger or he may be next on the chopping block. That's how serious they are down here

Yep. All that. The AD probably won't make this hire.

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 10:20 AM

Notre Dame to Charlie Weiss approximately $18M buyout I believe.

Yup wow he got $18 mill from ND and another $6 mill from Kansas. $24 mill to not coach football. But he's a ****ing fat retard. Not the coach with the best record in the SEC since he took over.

smootness
11-26-2015, 10:27 AM

It's more than just that. Think about the kind of talent they've had over the last few years. Beckham, Landry, Hill, Blue, Mingo, Reid, Mathieu, Simon...these are all good to great players in the NFL, yet they can't win more than 3 games anymore. I think part of this is fueled simply by the success so many of their players are having at the next level.

DudyDawg
11-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Yup wow he got $18 mill from ND and another $6 mill from Kansas. $24 mill to not coach football. But he's a ****ing fat retard. Not the coach with the best record in the SEC since he took over.

So you just contradicted yourself? Why can a fat retard get 18 mil but the best record in the SEC cant? Miles is 200% done

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 12:51 PM
So you just contradicted yourself? Why can a fat retard get 18 mil but the best record in the SEC cant? Miles is 200% done

Um because you fire a fat retard you don't fire a coach with the best record in the toughest league that has a National Championship and another NC game appearance. Weiss was a colossal **** up of a hire. That is why Notre Dame didn't care to blow 18 mill to get rid of him. Miles is the furthest thing from a **** up hire making his firing and paying of $18 mill PLUS the buyout of the next coach phenomenally stupid at best.

Coach34
11-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Miles is done. They could have raised $50MM to get rid of him if they needed to. Losing to Saban 5 straight sealed his fate

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Miles is done. They could have raised $50MM to get rid of him if they needed to. Losing to Saban 5 straight sealed his fate

Maybe I'll end up looking like a dumbass here (wouldn't be the 1st time) but this just screams of rich people bragging about how rich they are to me. Yup LSU could raise 2 billion dollars before noon if they had to. Sure everybody got money till money gotta sign the check. $25 mill to get rid of the best record in the SEC looks like Timmy logic. If LSU doesn't mind being Timmy for the next 5-10 years than sure they will fire Les.

DudyDawg
11-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Well hell yeah Weiss sucked. I guess we kinda got confused with each other. I was saying if you gotta pay a terrible fat ass 18 mil imagine what you'd have to pay a good coach to get rid of him. It's stupid to fire him, but he's gone.

VandelayIndustries
11-26-2015, 01:57 PM

He is going to get fired, and he won't get 15 million in one check. It would be over 8 years so it's easier to swallow, Being in Baton Rouge people are tired of him not just losing to Bama but also other teams out of the west. I would be really shocked if he is the coach on Sunday. I agree with about the whiny blowhard part though

Dawg61
11-26-2015, 02:05 PM
He is going to get fired, and he won't get 15 million in one check. It would be over 8 years so it's easier to swallow, Being in Baton Rouge people are tired of him not just losing to Bama but also other teams out of the west. I would be really shocked if he is the coach on Sunday. I agree with about the whiny blowhard part though

Oh man the butt hurt in Baton Rouge is at monumental proportions when they are gonna Bobby Bonilla him. This is hilarious! I will enjoy watching them wreck their football program. So will Hud.

Blackout
11-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Hell if something does happen go and give Chip Kelly 7 million a year. Would be well worth it. Fitz is his type of QB. Let ADIDAS really go all in on us like they have in the other 2 sports