PDA

View Full Version : OT: Beer advice...

TimberBeast
11-24-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm going to see my brother coming from Athens during Thanksgiving, I am not sure what all they have over there for beer (I'm in MS). I'm trying to give him a list of some stuff to bring, any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I only told him a Dogfish head 90 and Creature Comfort Tropicana (I think that's what it's called). I have had the dogfish head before but it's been a while. I have had a terrapin or two but it's been a while. I am interested in IPAs and pale ales for the most part, but looking for anything different that I should not miss out on. Thanks for any help.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Schlitz beer in the can.

BoomBoom
11-24-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm going to see my brother coming from Athens during Thanksgiving, I am not sure what all they have over there for beer (I'm in MS). I'm trying to give him a list of some stuff to bring, any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I only told him a Dogfish head 90 and Creature Comfort Tropicana (I think that's what it's called). I have had the dogfish head before but it's been a while. I have had a terrapin or two but it's been a while. I am interested in IPAs and pale ales for the most part, but looking for anything different that I should not miss out on. Thanks for any help.

Yuengling, especially if you are not a hops fan. Rumor is we get it in mid January, as reported here, but I've not seen that confirmed anywhere.

SpeckleDawg
11-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Good choice on the DF 90. I would add Cigar City Jai Alai and Bell's Two Hearted.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-24-2015, 04:36 PM
DuClaw Serum XX Double IPA

It's a Maryland brew that is only available in MD, NY, PA, VA, and NC but you might want to check if it made its way into GA yet( last time I looked was over a year ago). If you like and IPA you should really like this one.

notoriousdog
11-24-2015, 04:41 PM
If you're into IPAs, you should get him to bring some Terrapin Hopsecutioner and since it's Thanksgiving the Pumpkin Fest as well. Looks like they sell Heavy Seas out of Baltimore over there as well. The Loose Canon from Heavy Seas is really good IPA.

tcdog70
11-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Schlitz beer in the can.

Schlitz has gone back the the 60's formula---go for the Gusto--you only go around once----the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

LC Dawg
11-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Good choice on the DF 90. I would add Cigar City Jai Alai and Bell's Two Hearted.

I agree on all three of these. Also may want to try Stone Ruination and Victory Hop Devil.

Political Hack
11-24-2015, 05:02 PM

This guy knows his beer. Get some DFH 60 Minute too.

Also, if he can find it, get the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA. Very hard to find but worth the search.

missouridawg
11-24-2015, 05:16 PM
There's a brewery in Wisconsin. Makes awesome beer. Milwaukees best light. Some call it Beast. I call it delicious.

shannondawg
11-24-2015, 05:57 PM
None of the above available in the bbq joint in Shannon. Most everything in quarts.

truevaluedawg
11-24-2015, 06:11 PM
New Belgium's Slow Ride IPA and Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter IPA are both quite tasty.

hailmari
11-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Jai Alai is great. I brought back a big stockpile of beers from Atlanta in August. I highly recommend Sculpin by Ballast Point, it's great. Terrapin hopsecutioner, Terrapin Moo-hoo milk stout, and Liquid Bliss. Anything by Cigar City.. and Jekyll Cooter Brown. I tried a couple from Red Hare (brewery in ATL), but nothing that stood out.

msstatelp1
11-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale but warning, "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY"

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/home.asp

Dawgtini
11-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Schlitz beer in the can.
I prefer the bottle, but good call. Old Style if Schlitz is sold out.

ScoobaDawg
11-24-2015, 06:46 PM

Some good suggestions already made....Here is a compassion of distribution state vs state. Pop in MS vs Georgia...
http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/compare.html

Or here ya go....

First off. Ignore anyone who says Yuengling... Over hyped Budweiser.Highlighted some of my personal favorites.

21st Amendment
Against the Grain
Allagash
Anchorage [Limited]
Anderson Valley
Ass Kisser
Avery
Ballast Point [Limited]
Bard's Tale
Bells
Bison
Blue Point
Blue Tarp [Draft only]
Bottle Tree
Boulder
Boulevard
Breckenridge
BridgePort
Brooklyn
Buffalo Bill's
Burnt Hickory
Butternuts
Chattanooga
Cigar City [Limited]
Cisco
Clown Shoes [Limited]
Coastal Empire [Draft only]
Creature Comforts
Cricket Hill [Limited]
Crooked Stave
Dixie
Dogfish Head (well... Yes its good but there are so many better options now...)
Duck-Rabbit
Evil Twin
Fat Cat
Finch's
Florida Beer Companty
Flying Fish
Founders
French Broad
Full Sail
Great Divide
Harpoon
Heavy Seas - see Clipper City
Highland
Hoppin Frog
Horny Goat
Iron City
Jailhouse
Lakefront
Laughing Dog
Left Hand
Lexington (Alltech/Kentucky)
Mad River (Steelhead)
Matt (Saranac)
McSorley's (Pabst brand)
Monday Night
Moon River [Draft only]
Mother Earth
Moylan's
Napa Smith
New Belgium
Nimbus
O’Dempsey’s
Old Dominion
Ommegang
Orpheus
Oskar Blues
Peak Organic
Penn
Port/Lost Abbey
Prairie Artisan Ales
Pyramid [Limited]
Red Hare
RJ Rockers
Saint Somewhere
Service
Shelton Brothers (importers)
Shmaltz (He'Brew)
Sixpoint
Smuttynose
Southbound
Southampton
Southern Tier
Sprecher
St. George
Starr Hill
Stillwater
Stone
Stoudt's
Strawn
Sweetwater
Terrapin
The Bruery
Thomas Creek
Thomas Hooker
Three Taverns
Uinta
Victory
Westbrook
Weyerbacher
White Birch [Limited]
Wild Heaven
Yuengling

Dawgbite
11-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I prefer the bottle, but good call. Old Style if Schlitz is sold out.

Old Style, the memories. What about some Black Label or Scheafer Light?

Shooter McGavin
11-24-2015, 08:51 PM
All excellent choices. I really like 21st Amendment and Bells Two Hearted ale.

I'm pretty excited I can buy Southern Tier in Meridian now. I've seen their Pumking on draft at a couple restaurants as well.

Maroon Diapers
11-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Get him to stop in Hop City in Atlanta or Birmingham, preferably Atlanta. One of the best beer stores I've been in. Grab a couple bottles of Prairie Bomb! Rated 100 on BeerAdvocate by both users and the Bros. It's as dark as your soul and ~10 bucks a bottle, but delicious. Moylans also has a new quad IPA call Hop Craic. It's delicious but will destroy your palate. Like others have said, Bells Two Hearted is solid. Ballast Point Sculpin is a super IPA. Their Victory at Sea porter is great too if you can go darker.

Prediction? Pain.
11-24-2015, 09:11 PM
If you're into IPAs, you should get him to bring some Terrapin Hopsecutioner and since it's Thanksgiving the Pumpkin Fest as well. Looks like they sell Heavy Seas out of Baltimore over there as well. The Loose Canon from Heavy Seas is really good IPA.

Second for Hopsecutioner.

Others from Terrapin to look out for: Moo Hoo Milk Stout, Rye Pale Ale, and Mosaic Red Rye IPA. (The last of those is a spring seasonal, so there may not be any floating around right now.)

Red Hare out of Marietta is fairly solid across the board, though the Sticky Stout and Watership Brown are two of the more prominent ones.

Red Brick out of Atlanta is worth a shot, too. Their Laughing Skull Red Ale is pretty popular around here, but some of the others (like the Porter and Imperial Stout) are probably better.

Another Atlanta brewery, Orpheus, has gotten a lot of hype in the past couple of years. Not sure you can get their stuff outside of the Atlanta area, though.

Prediction? Pain.
11-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Get him to stop in Hop City in Atlanta or Birmingham, preferably Atlanta. One of the best beer stores I've been in. Grab a couple bottles of Prairie Bomb! Rated 100 on BeerAdvocate by both users and the Bros. It's as dark as your soul and ~10 bucks a bottle, but delicious. Moylans also has a new quad IPA call Hop Craic. It's delicious but will destroy your palate. Like others have said, Bells Two Hearted is solid. Ballast Point Sculpin is a super IPA. Their Victory at Sea porter is great too if you can go darker.

Forgot about Hop City. Yes, if he's willing to stop at Hop City, then the world is your oyster. Both locations are great, but I agree that the one in Atlanta near Georgia Tech beats out the one in Birmingham. (Though if he goes to the one in Birmingham, he'd have access to Good People Brewing's whole lineup, which is something you should explore if you can.) Best selection of beer I've ever seen in the South.

BrunswickDawg
11-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Become a fan of Strawn out of Savannah - closest local brew for me. I had their Scottish Ale at dinner tonight. Smooth.

DancingRabbit
11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Old Style, the memories. What about some Black Label or Scheafer Light?

Old Style was a lot better than Black Label or Schafer.

When I was a freshman (mid-70s), my brother and I made a road trip to Omaha for a wedding. These were the days of Coors being a sought after rarity. Cousins would bring us a few cases from Texas on holidays.

So we planned on bringing back a pick-up load of it. There was no Coors in Omaha but I was introduced to Heileman's Special Export and Old Style, plus Olympia. All of them tasted OK compared to Bud, Schlitz and Miller. And beer prices were so cheap compared to Mississippi. We loaded up about 10 assorted cases in Omaha and then made a detour through Leavenworth, Kansas on the way back to pick up a dozen cases of Coors. Fun times.

BrunswickDawg
11-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Old Style was a lot better than Black Label or Schafer.

When I was a freshman (mid-70s), my brother and I made a road trip to Omaha for a wedding. These were the days of Coors being a sought after rarity. Cousins would bring us a few cases from Texas on holidays.

So we planned on bringing back a pick-up load of it. There was no Coors in Omaha but I was introduced to Heileman's Special Export and Old Style, plus Olympia. All of them tasted OK compared to Bud, Schlitz and Miller. And beer prices were so cheap compared to Mississippi. We loaded up about 10 assorted cases in Omaha and then made a detour through Leavenworth, Kansas on the way back to pick up a dozen cases of Coors. Fun times.
Did a tall guy in a blue suit with a really short guy in a matching suit bet you $80k that you couldn't get it back in 48 hours?

ScoobaDawg
11-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Forgot about Hop City. Yes, if he's willing to stop at Hop City, then the world is your oyster. Both locations are great, but I agree that the one in Atlanta near Georgia Tech beats out the one in Birmingham. (Though if he goes to the one in Birmingham, he'd have access to Good People Brewing's whole lineup, which is something you should explore if you can.) Best selection of beer I've ever seen in the South.

DAMN YOU PEOPLE I need to get back to Alabama for Beer...lol...sad for someone in Texas where we have sooo many awesome choices but I need some more Hopsecutioner (cans) and Snake handler (growler fill) STAT!!!!

ScoobaDawg
11-24-2015, 10:05 PM
and Im drinking a Bells two hearted ale as I post...very good... can't wait till we get Bells in Texas

Thompson92
11-24-2015, 10:19 PM

Creature Comforts Tropicalia and Terrapin Recreational are both excellent. Make sure you get lots of both of those. Also, CC makes a good sour called Athena, and anything Terrapin should be good. There's also Southern Brewing Company from Athens which I've heard good things about.
21st amendment, Uinta, and Bells are all good too.

DancingRabbit
11-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Did a tall guy in a blue suit with a really short guy in a matching suit bet you $80k that you couldn't get it back in 48 hours?

Sure we could have for a couple hundred. This was 1975, a couple years before Bandit.

I was a little nervous when I was driving and hit St. Louis during morning rush hour. Never had experienced traffic like that and my brother's jacked up 4x4 F100 with a 4 in the floor wasn't the best commuter.

TimberBeast
11-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. These are the beers he picked up tonight. I am excited as I have only tried the Dogfish head 90 and I think I tried the hopsecutioner once but it's been a couple years.

Stone Ruination
Founders All Day IPA
Dogfish 90
Bells Two Hearted
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Heavy Seas Loose Cannon
Victory Dirt Wolf
Creature Comfort Tropicalia
Cigar City Jai Alai

ScoobaDawg
11-25-2015, 02:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. These are the beers he picked up tonight. I am excited as I have only tried the Dogfish head 90 and I think I tried the hopsecutioner once but it's been a couple years.

Stone Ruination - 100 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/stone-ruination-ipa/14709/)
Founders All Day IPA - 94 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-all-day-ipa/141611/)
Dogfish 90 - 100 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dogfish-head-90-minute-imperial-ipa/10569/)
Bells Two Hearted - 100 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bells-two-hearted-ale/1502/)
Terrapin Hopsecutioner - 95 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/terrapin-hopsecutioner-india-pale-ale/106391/)
Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 - 97 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/heavy-seas-loose-cannon-hop3/51447/)
Victory Dirt Wolf - 99 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/victory-dirtwolf-double-ipa/230098/)
Creature Comfort Tropicalia - 99 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/creature-comforts-tropicalia/261571/)
Cigar City Jai Alai - 99 (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-city-jai-alai-india-pale-ale/95103/)

Damn good selection, your lowest ranked selection is one of the few IPA's I will session drink, and then 2nd lowest is one of my newest favorite IPA,Hopsecutioner has a wonderful Hop profile and then a sweet malt mixture... so freaking good.

Those post is brought to you by... my cellar aged 2013 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. Drinking so good.

hailmari
11-25-2015, 08:06 AM
All good beers, but I'd recommend swapping the Founder's All Day IPA with Stone's Go-To IPA. Personal preference though.. It's smoother to me.

DCdawg
11-25-2015, 09:44 AM
If any of you guys are in San Diego in the near future, stop by the Ballast Point tasting room. I was able to go this summer and had some great beers.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-26-2015, 12:59 AM
If any of you guys are in San Diego in the near future, stop by the Ballast Point tasting room. I was able to go this summer and had some great beers.

Damn, you lucky dawg....I don't really have a bucket list but I will say that one trip I plan to take one day is a CA Brewery/Golf Tour. Fly to San Diego and tour Ballast Point, Green Flash, Stone, Ale Smith and play Torrey Pines (North & South). Drive up to Seaside, CA play Bayonet then on to Santa Cruz to play Pasatiempo. Hitting local breweries along the way of course. Finish the Northern leg of the trip with Russian River Brewery, Bear Republic Brewing and Sierra Nevada. Will coordinate this trip with a Pliny the Younger release also.

Tell your brother to pick you up some Transmigration of Souls from Orpheus Brewing (Atlanta) before he comes home next time. Double IPA with a 10% ABV. I got a six pack back in the summer for $10.50 total. That's a solid ABV to $ ratio. and it's a really good beer.

starkvegasdawg
11-26-2015, 05:01 AM
Guess I'm letting my redneck show here. I never got into all these specialty beers. Just give me an ice cold bud light in a frosted mug and I'm as content as can be.

DCdawg
11-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Damn, you lucky dawg....I don't really have a bucket list but I will say that one trip I plan to take one day is a CA Brewery/Golf Tour. Fly to San Diego and tour Ballast Point, Green Flash, Stone, Ale Smith and play Torrey Pines (North & South). Drive up to Seaside, CA play Bayonet then on to Santa Cruz to play Pasatiempo. Hitting local breweries along the way of course. Finish the Northern leg of the trip with Russian River Brewery, Bear Republic Brewing and Sierra Nevada. Will coordinate this trip with a Pliny the Younger release also.

Tell your brother to pick you up some Transmigration of Souls from Orpheus Brewing (Atlanta) before he comes home next time. Double IPA with a 10% ABV. I got a six pack back in the summer for $10.50 total. That's a solid ABV to $ ratio. and it's a really good beer.

The cool thing about their tasting room is that they have all the usual brews (Sculpin, Grapefruit Sculpin, Victory at Sea) but they also have a large R&D category to choose from. They had one called Barney that was a 12 or 13% ABV. They also had one called Calm Before the Storm that was my personal favorite. It tastes like a coffee stout but has the mouth feel and color of a pilsner.