PDA

View Full Version : Bowl committees nervous about inviting Ole Miss to bowl game

Dental Dawg
11-24-2015, 03:26 PM
I heard a rumor during lunch that bowl committees were nervous about inviting Ole Miss due to possibility of NCAA sanctions. Prolly wishful thinking. Has anyone heard anything similar?

defiantdog
11-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Probably a rumor..... Not like the bowl committee would have to give back any money even if the NCAA did anything.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Yeah not sure why the bowl committee would care. Money is money even if they have to vacate the bowl game down the road.

SheltonChoked
11-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Would only matter if the sanctions are announced before the bowl game. If it is a bowl ban, they might choose to take it this year instead of starting next year.

Still probably a rumor.

Dental Dawg
11-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Let me clarify. I think they were concerned with sanctions coming soon and not being able to play in bowl game.

dawgpound
11-24-2015, 03:38 PM
LOL the NCAA would not wait until a bowl selects them and then ban them from the bowl....

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 03:41 PM
LOL the NCAA would not wait until a bowl selects them and then ban them from the bowl....

The strange thing is that it wouldn't be surprising. The NCAA has a track record of screwing things up seemingly just to screw them up.

But the sanctions (if they are indeed coming) will likely be announced either before bowl selection day or in the spring.

TrapGame
11-24-2015, 03:46 PM
We beat that ass in Starkville and then they can't go to a bowl b/c of NCAA sanctions.

Oh, please let this happen.

Dental Dawg
11-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Just lunch time banter. I have given up on them getting any sanctions. These damn rumors keep giving me hope. You would have thought by now that we would have heard something on the ACT stuff.

OdaMaeBrown
11-24-2015, 03:50 PM
damn dude. you are better than this.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2015, 03:51 PM
I think they usually get to chose to go ahead and take the banned or wait until the next season. It's what OSU did. They went to a bowl game at 6-6 and elected to take the bowl banned the next year. The kick in the nut was the next year was Urban"s first year and they went 12-0 and Bama got into the BCS NC game by default and won. I think that was the year they played ND.

To answer you question with what I think is, they already know their punishment and they are trying to keep it quiet so they don't lose their recruiting class and the committees know what sanctions are coming. They would have to know that.

JDog13
11-24-2015, 03:51 PM
anybody smell that?

bgover4
11-24-2015, 03:52 PM
I would think they would be more concerned with UNM's bowl showing last season and also the rumors that half thier team will be academically ineligable.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 03:53 PM

Bold for an 8 post member who only seems to post on OM/NCAA related threads.

Coach34
11-24-2015, 03:53 PM
yeahhhhh- no. Cant see this as being a fear for the bowls.

Political Hack
11-24-2015, 03:57 PM
I thought it was going to be about the "rebels" or "ole miss" or "spice" or "acid" or "fights" or something along those lines.

FISHDAWG
11-24-2015, 03:59 PM
The strange thing is that it wouldn't be surprising. The NCAA has a track record of screwing things up seemingly just to screw them up.

But the sanctions (if they are indeed coming) will likely be announced either before bowl selection day or in the spring.

the NCAA has to figure out which 5-7 teams to allow in so all of the bowls will be filled ... I would think they would wait until after the bowls are filled before anouncing ... if anything at all

Dental Dawg
11-24-2015, 04:06 PM
No troll, dumb ass. I've been on the boards for years. OdaMaeBrown, you've got 8 f'n post.

MSUDawg99
11-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Why is this troll not banned yet??????

Jack Lambert
11-24-2015, 04:13 PM
No troll, dumb ass. I've been on the boards for years. OdaMaeBrown, you've got 8 f'n post.

What was he doing while posting?

K9 Avenger
11-24-2015, 04:15 PM

Dental Dawg is no troll. He's true maroon to the core...not only that, he's an avowed bearshart HATER and a charter member of the "Dawgapalooza"...so there's that...:cool:

DancingRabbit
11-24-2015, 04:32 PM
I think they usually get to chose to go ahead and take the banned or wait until the next season. It's what OSU did. They went to a bowl game at 6-6 and elected to take the bowl banned the next year. The kick in the nut was the next year was Urban"s first year and they went 12-0 and Bama got into the BCS NC game by default and won. I think that was the year they played ND.

To answer you question with what I think is, they already know their punishment and they are trying to keep it quiet so they don't lose their recruiting class and the committees know what sanctions are coming. They would have to know that.

I doubt they know their punishment. They have probably received a Notice of Inquiry (NOI), maybe as far back as 2012, but that is easy to keep quiet as it only goes to the president or chancellor and the NCAA does not release that publicly.

The Notice of Allegations (NOA) is more difficult to keep quiet as copies are sent to every organization involved, every person involved, witnesses, etc., but the NCAA still doesn't release it publicly. Once a NOA is sent, a schedule is set up for the university's response and a meeting before the Committee on Infractions. OM might have the NOA and might have some vague idea of the punishment but once the NCAA makes a final decision on the punishment they release it publicly and publish it on their website.

I think the NCAA is probably still conducting interviews and keep uncovering another rabbit hole to go down.

SheltonChoked
11-24-2015, 04:34 PM
The NCAA has nothing to gain or lose from the bowls. Why would they care?

If they are letting 5-7 teams in it wouldn't even upset the SEC. Just move Kentucky or Mizzou up and fill all the spots.

And it might be ole miss that moves the bowl ban up. Take the hit this year and make a bowl next year. Especially if some of your players will not be eligible for the 2nd semester...

I don't believe it, but it's not crazy.

Tailgate Superstar
11-24-2015, 04:35 PM
The NCAA sanctions thing preventing a bowl from picking OM is pretty far fetched. What's not so crazy, however is how many of their Class of 13 5 Stars are going to be eligible for a bowl this year. I have heard rumors that many of these guys going pro stopped going to class quite some time ago. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. How attractive would OM be to a bowl without Tunsil, Treadwell, Kimdeeechee and Connor?

FISHDAWG
11-24-2015, 05:05 PM
The NCAA has nothing to gain or lose from the bowls. Why would they care?

If they are letting 5-7 teams in it wouldn't even upset the SEC. Just move Kentucky or Mizzou up and fill all the spots.

And it might be ole miss that moves the bowl ban up. Take the hit this year and make a bowl next year. Especially if some of your players will not be eligible for the 2nd semester...

I don't believe it, but it's not crazy.

my point was due to the lack of eligible teams they might wait until after bowl season to announce - if they even announce at all

Harrydawg
11-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Any of you who think that a bowl doesn't take all things into consideration
When choosing a team is crazy. This choice = $, bad choice = low ticket sales.

Very often ticket sales to the teams is the profit margin. It's not far fetched that bowls may be Leary of a team
with concerns......NCAA baggage is a concern just as much as a loosing streak.

OdaMaeBrown
11-24-2015, 05:24 PM
I mean seriously. The whole premise is stupid as 17.

I don't know what my 8 post count has to with calling you out though. My post count will keep going up and your IQ clearly will not.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 05:29 PM
I mean seriously. The whole premise is stupid as 17.

I don't know what my 8 post count has to with calling you out though. My post count will keep going up and your IQ clearly will not.

Lol

Dental Dawg
11-24-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm sure MENSA is begging you to join.

OdaMaeBrown
11-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Don't get me wrong, i love TSUN bashing as much as the next guy, but you have to at least be intelligent about it. Otherwise you make us all look like a bunch of dumb ass rednecks.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I heard a rumor during lunch that bowl committees were nervous about inviting Ole Miss due to possibility of NCAA sanctions. Prolly wishful thinking. Has anyone heard anything similar?

NO, but I can see bowl selection committees being a little apprehensive over having a decent game - worried that half the team will be grade casualties. That's pretty much known at this point with that bunch.

ScottH
11-24-2015, 06:44 PM
I would guess they at risk for some player eligibility issues.

If (and it's a gigantic if) the rules are followed.

Allegedly some of the higher priced talent lost ALL interest in academic pursuits after the Memphis loss.

K9 Avenger
11-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, i love TSUN bashing as much as the next guy, but you have to at least be intelligent about it. Otherwise you make us all look like a bunch of dumb ass rednecks.

You're a ****ING IDIOT! Why is your troll ass still allowed to post here?