PDA

View Full Version : The bad, the ugly and the good for Saturday night (how to skin a bear edition)

Coach 57
11-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Enough of the "I told ya" so hoopla. Let's break some stuff down. In this article I'll give some things that I don't think I've seen mentioned and if they are on here rest assured I didn't steal them.

The Bad: With every competition on the field there is ALWAYS and must be bad, otherwise there is no reason to practice or simulate (i.e practice squad) other teams. So let's continue the negative nelly feel (which was the temperature of last week) that was very prevalent last week at this time. I'll start with the things I think are the worst match ups for us and go down the list.

1. Between the hashes: most think Tredwell is going to take the top off of our defense, and that he is offensively the greatest threat to our defense but that isn't true. I feel confident that Manny will have Taveze on Tredwell and if that's the case the battle will be epic! I wished it was Redmond but it's not abs the next guy I'd rather see us put on him IS Calhoun. Calhoun is great off the LOS and is great at hand fighting the outside guy no matter if it's the boundary or the field side....he's a gamer and I look to see him play well. But that doesn't mean he'll shut Tredwell down, it just means he'll create enough coverage to give Tredwell fits.

But the guy who has quietly been a thorn in our side isn't the flashiest player in the pan, but he is who their offense is predicated around is Engram. Last year he torched us! And covering this guy between the hashes on a turf field is enough to make any DC pop tums all night long! But I'm interested in something that was implemented by Manny at the beginning of the year didn't really start showing up until we hit out stretch which was this new 4-2-5 set. The problem we now face is that it brings guys in that are very inexperienced (i.e Peters & McLaurin) but I think they (along with Bryant) will pose issues for Engram that didn't show last year when we ran a base 4/3 set. Leaving Zack Jackson covering Engram. Stopping or slowing them down starts with winning THAT battle! We must jam him HARD at the point of attack and stay in his front hip pocket.

2.) Twist & shout: Obe other thing that sparks my attention is the stunting & twisting that UM does with their DL. They aren't strong but they SURE are fast! It's predicated off of timing and then getting on the inside or outside shoulder of the OLmen and using the force generated by that shoulder to create push & leverage to the QB or backfield. We CAN accounted this with screens and draws BUT from what I've seen they are very good at feeling (which is what makes the difference between a good college DL and ab NFL one) most of the time. But our OLmen MUST utilize the PUNCH! When they get on our boys' shoulders we've got to punch out not just grind them to the QB! Also we've got to stay within our color coverages on our line. We've faced 1 DL that does what UM does and it was another UM (Mizz). They twisted and stunted all night and there were times where we looked good abs times we didn't. Prepare for a mixture of ups & downs!

3. The valley...get OUT! Dak as great as he is his internal clock is sometimes questionable. I would say it's the ONLY gripe I have with him. Inside that pocket boulders are being tossed at you like a Super Mario game! If we aren't going to stay with 3 step drops then he's got to get out of that valley. The valley in scripture is a tough stretch and it's an up hill climb to get out. UM is going to make Dak beat them inside that pocket! He's done well so far but doesn't do well with pressure from outside. He's fine when it's in his face but he needs to develop his pocket presence and internal clock and no when to bail out of the valley. UM has a great DE (not the best we've faced though) and Dak's gotta feel that, or he's gonna get popped!

The Ugly: there are things worse than the bad, it's the ugly. Penalties I feel will be high and will cost us some much needed yds in this game. I actually won't be supposed if there isn't a fight. I'm not close to Dak but in the conversations I have had with him he is still ticked off at being spit on (literally) by CJ. The emotions of this game will be higher than any EB we may have seen! Our best player in the history is about to play his very last home game Vs the team that mocked him being cheap shotted and laughed and made fun of him after getting jumped this off season at that stupid concert! We've gotta stay composed because this is going to be a dadgum fist fight! And fist fights get ugly sometimes!

The Good: Let's just say it, it's Egg Bowl week!

1. The missing link: one player that gets over shadowed is this guy for this game. I was just listening to Bo Bounds and he's going on and on about Dak Vs the fab 4. 🤔? Did he ignorantly forget Chris Jones? This guy over the last few weeks has been a terror! He's been the guy we've been waiting for! When scouts look at players in his position they don't look at his overall average they look at what he did Vs the cream of the crop! He was a beast Vs Bama, LSU & Arky! These are comparative talents. They'll look at that and Chris is going to shred these guards & center up! Another key stalwart is going to be the play of AJ, Brown & James! We lost last year because we didn't tackle their RB once we got penetration! We had hands on him but didn't wrap up! Gotta do better this year!

2. Don't stop believing?: We are a 2nd half team defensively. In a game with this much emotion and so much on the line, I'm excited to see how we perform! Nuff said!

3.) 15: it has been MY honor and privilege to see this kid LIGHT UT UP! How about you? I think he is due for the game of his career! I know he wants it BAD! I think that his teammates are ready to skin this black bear alive! I think our OL is going to be nasty and may get some penalties. "Protect your brother!" Is what will be preached by Heav at ANY cost!

4. Key offensive weapon will be the slot WR. CJ isn't good in coverage at all and we've got to expose this kid BIG TIME! Fred Ross or Gabe will be open between the hashes we MUST catch these abs loosen their D up to work the outside. They'll probably start off in a base zone and it'll allow us to use 3 step drops and our WRs running stops and curls. But once they clamp down on that we've got to make them pay when going to either man or combo man on the field side!

God bless you boys, it's time to GIRDEMUP and kill the bear!

Jack Lambert
11-24-2015, 09:36 AM
I think we get to Kelly several times and many hurries. He's not Allen and I think Kelly will make a lot of bad throws. Plus with his cock to the right head he always runs right.

BrunswickDawg
11-24-2015, 09:52 AM
I think we get to Kelly several times and many hurries. He's not Allen and I think Kelly will make a lot of bad throws. Plus with his cock to the right head he always runs right.

You mean this cock to the right?

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Sloth-Goonies-Hey-You-Guys-07.jpg

HoopsDawg
11-24-2015, 10:35 AM
We should be able to stop their running game with our front 6. This would allow us to play 5 DB's. I would love to see Calhoun shadow Treadwell, but we usually don't move our corners like that. I also hope we play a little tighter coverage right off the LOS. Keep 1 safety deep and 1 safety is going to have to keep an eye on Engram. I agree we need to jam his ass on every play-no free releases. Can we get pressure with our front 4? I don't know. If we can, Manny won't have to blitz our LB's and safeties as much so that would definitely help in coverage.

Offensively, it's all on Dak and Mullen. OM will probably have the same game plan as last year since it worked so well. They learned a lot from how VT defended OSU. We have the game film on that so it's up to Mullen to have a good counter attack for what they were doing. Ole Miss is good. They are as healthy as they have been all season now that Tunsil and CJ are back. We will have to play a pretty clean game and we need Cooke to punt well.

louisvilledawg
11-24-2015, 11:19 AM
I think we have to contain Kelly on those runs of his. He's an above average athlete with good wheels. Our ends can't fall for the fake or he will have 60 yards rushing and 2 tds before we blink