PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Mullen presser

drummerdawg
11-23-2015, 10:13 PM
"We give them the opportunity to prepare for the game and do it all the right way, but we also want to give them some family time for the holidays. So we?ll go with that schedule this week.?

Please tell me he's not letting the guys go out of town this week? I thought we learned our lesson last year.

mstatefan91
11-23-2015, 10:14 PM
The thing is I think he has done this every year. I don't think this started last year. Anybody know for sure?

Blackout
11-23-2015, 10:17 PM
They can have family time on Sunday and before bowl prep

Lloyd Christmas
11-23-2015, 10:19 PM
"We give them the opportunity to prepare for the game and do it all the right way, but we also want to give them some family time for the holidays. So we?ll go with that schedule this week.?

Please tell me he's not letting the guys go out of town this week? I thought we learned our lesson last year.

Oh man here we go again..

Dawgowar
11-23-2015, 10:27 PM

He HAS done this every year. Nothing new. The guys closest to campus take teammates to their homes. Not like they are flying home to New Orleans for the day and coming back. They did it at UF and likely Utah. Meyer is probably doing it this weekend at OSU.

Think they walk through early, not sure. Not that big a deal.

Todd4State
11-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Personally I don't like him letting the players go home. I would only be OK with it if Ole Miss agrees to let their players go home too.

SDDawg
11-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Personally I don't like him letting the players go home. I would only be OK with it if Ole Miss agrees to let their players go home too.

Fvck those Ole Miss thugs on house arrest, they are "home" for a reason. NOTHING that they EVER do should be our model... EVER!!!!! GTHOM!!!!!!

smootness
11-23-2015, 10:48 PM

Good grief, people. This game won't be determined by whose players weren't allowed to leave campus.

Homedawg
11-24-2015, 12:13 AM

So....don't let a kid from West Point go home to eat and take 5 with him. Let's make them stay here, go to someone's appt and do whatever it is they do? Man you aren't that old, get a grip. What goes on here EVERY freaking day is tempting. Dinner w momma or w the boys won't determine the outcome of this game.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Good grief, people. This game won't be determined by whose players weren't allowed to leave campus.

If Ole Miss is practicing, we should be practicing. Period.

And didn't say that the game would or wouldn't be "determined" by who does or doesn't go home. But way to twist it however you see fit as you usually do on here.

It's about being as well prepared as possible- and pigging out on Thanksgiving food is going to negatively affect their bodies from a performance standpoint.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 12:24 AM
So....don't let a kid from West Point go home to eat and take 5 with him. Let's make them stay here, go to someone's appt and do whatever it is they do? Man you aren't that old, get a grip. What goes on here EVERY freaking day is tempting. Dinner w momma or w the boys won't determine the outcome of this game.

I have a grip. I understand diet and nutrition. Apparently you and Dan don't.

Again, I want our team to be as well prepared as possible- and it goes beyond practice. There's no reason that they can't wait to go to West Point and have Thanksgiving on Sunday.

If you are a scholarship football player there are perks and sacrifices. Fame and a chance to make it in the NFL are some of the perks. Celebrating holidays such as Thanksgiving and hopefully New Year's Day non-traditionally are some of the sacrifices.

So, my answer to you is NO- don't let five of our players go to West Point and pig out on Thanksgiving food- which WILL include overeating and eating foods with lots of sugar that is not good for them.

We don't let our guys go out to the Sizzler and then to Cold Stone on a typical game week do we?

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 12:41 AM

Again, I want our team to be as well prepared as possible- and it goes beyond practice. There's no reason that they can't wait to go to West Point and have Thanksgiving on Sunday.

If you are a scholarship football player there are perks and sacrifices. Fame and a chance to make it in the NFL are some of the perks. Celebrating holidays such as Thanksgiving and hopefully New Year's Day non-traditionally are some of the sacrifices.

So, my answer to you is NO- don't let five of our players go to West Point and pig out on Thanksgiving food- which WILL include overeating and eating foods with lots of sugar that is not good for them.

We don't let our guys go out to the Sizzler and then to Cold Stone on a typical game week do we?

Lol it's turkey and mashed potatoes. It's not a cheeseburger buffet and nacho bar. Getting your mind of the game for 1/2 a day is a good thing too.

Homedawg
11-24-2015, 01:08 AM

You are clueless dude. You think we have a damn person per player to walk around and see what they do when they are out of our sight? Yea we feed them what we want them to have but that doesn't stop them from eating ice cream, pizza, drinking beer or smoking dope on their on time. There are 24 hours in a day. Football can have them for a max of 4. That leaves 20! We won't win or lose because they get to be w their families. Maybe that's how the band works though.
Eta, I saw one of our key players at little dooey last Thursday with a couple others, I'm sure they were there eating corn salad...:it worked out ok.....uggghhh

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 01:56 AM
One day of undisciplined eating never hurt anyone. Especially football players. If anything, it will help them feel a little bit stronger. This coming from a powerlifter.

They aren't trying to make a weight class. They aren't bodybuilders trying to stay at a specific body fat percentage with limited water retention.

Come on man

smootness
11-24-2015, 03:14 AM

And didn't say that the game would or wouldn't be "determined" by who does or doesn't go home. But way to twist it however you see fit as you usually do on here.

It's about being as well prepared as possible- and pigging out on Thanksgiving food is going to negatively affect their bodies from a performance standpoint.

If it doesn't determine the result of the game, then it doesn't matter.

Blackout
11-24-2015, 06:17 AM

He said it won't be THE reason but a reason. Why do anything that won't maximize our chances is his point and I agree.

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 08:19 AM
He said it won't be THE reason but a reason. Why do anything that won't maximize our chances is his point and I agree.

I disagree that forcing players to stay on campus maximizes chances. You're seriously discrediting what being around family & friends and getting your mind off football for a few hours can do for a player.

FISHDAWG
11-24-2015, 08:49 AM
I think Todd is probably eluding to our poor play last EB , and a lot of folks here on this board were bitchin about the players going home thinking that was the reason for poor play ... I can understand both arguments but I would put more emphasis onhigh moral and less on diet a few days before game

RougeDawg
11-24-2015, 08:55 AM
I think Todd is probably eluding to our poor play last EB , and a lot of folks here on this board were bitchin about the players going home thinking that was the reason for poor play ... I can understand both arguments but I would put more emphasis onhigh moral and less on diet a few days before game

Let me add that we rode over on busses the day of the game last year also.

Items like this are why I love playing on Thanksgiving day. No chance for them to go home and both teams have equal prep time, no matter what. But some of you bitching about him letting them go home will also bitch about a Thurdsay came (which would prevent letting them go home). So no win.

msstatelp1
11-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Understand what you're saying but letting them go at Thanksgiving had little to do with losing 3 of the last 4. The Bama game took everything out of the team. Had we not played Vandy, it would would have been 4 straight losses.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Players have been given the chance to go home every Thanksgiving where the game isn't on Thursday. This isn't new & didn't start last year. It only became a problem when we lost last year. The vast majority of the team stay in Starkville only guys within a couple hours go home because you have to be back on Friday. This is much ado about nothing.

FISHDAWG
11-24-2015, 09:10 AM
I agree ... that's why I said I would put more emphasis on team morale ... a trip home makes everyone feel better and a little rejuvenated

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2015, 09:18 AM

I assure you that the team is practicing. It will be okay.

Johnson85
11-24-2015, 09:34 AM
This isn't new & didn't start last year. It only became a problem when we lost last year.

We have played like shit two out of the past three years in the egg bowl; not just failing to execute but failing to have any energy. Maybe they just need to keep them in Starkville when we're playing at Oxford or maybe it's a problem of alienating the DC by the end of the year, but showing up without energy to the egg bowl seems inexcusable.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Freeze said that he gave his guys assignments to give back to the community.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I agree with Todd 100% on this issue. Our energy level was the lowest it had been all season in last year's egg bowl. Even the Ole Miss players commented on this fact.

Croom let the players go home one year on Egg Bowl week and he said he would never do that again. This is the biggest week of the year for MState football. There needs to be total focus and everything needs to be peaking come Saturday night. There is plenty of time after the game and before the bowl game to get away from football. Not to mention the offseason. We only have 2 games left!!!

Also, this hasn't been the case every year b/c we have played several Thursday night games.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 10:51 AM
We've played 1 Thursday Egg Bowl since Dan has been here in 2013.

War Machine Dawg
11-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Let me add that we rode over on busses the day of the game last year also.

Items like this are why I love playing on Thanksgiving day. No chance for them to go home and both teams have equal prep time, no matter what. But some of you bitching about him letting them go home will also bitch about a Thurdsay came (which would prevent letting them go home). So no win.

Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark. Todd is one of the biggest critics against playing on Thanksgiving Day.

BulldogBear
11-24-2015, 02:45 PM
We haven't lost 3 of 4 to Ole Miss. Hmmmmmmm......

HSVDawg
11-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Croom let the players go home one year on Egg Bowl week and he said he would never do that again.

Well, I guess that settles it then. Can't go against the sage advice of the worst coach in MSU football history.

RougeDawg
11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
We have played like shit two out of the past three years in the egg bowl; not just failing to execute but failing to have any energy. Maybe they just need to keep them in Starkville when we're playing at Oxford or maybe it's a problem of alienating the DC by the end of the year, but showing up without energy to the egg bowl seems inexcusable.

And the one we played with great intensity and a 3rd string QB was played on Thursday!!! Why is this so difficult to see that playing on Thursday is a good thing if Mullen is hell bent on letting the players go home? This way they can go home for 3 days and we keep our edge and intensity and kick their asses.

drummerdawg
11-24-2015, 03:26 PM
So would you guys be ok with the players having one or two days off any other week during the season? Why would this week be any different?

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 03:29 PM
So would you guys be ok with the players having one or two days off any other week during the season? Why would this week be any different?

Well they do typically get Friday off unless they're traveling and Thursday really only consists of a walk through which I'm assuming they will go through on Thursday morning instead of Thursday afternoon.

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Because its a National holiday and we aren't a bunch of Nazis forcing the players to miss out on one of the best traditions in America. Being around loved ones for a couple hours will help the players play better not the other way around. Like they aren't going to eat a shit load of turkey and sides if they stay in Starkville anyways. This is one of the dumbest arguments this board gets into every year. Lighten up and let the players eat turkey with their moms. It's not even a full half day.

FISHDAWG
11-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Because its a National holiday and we aren't a bunch of Nazis forcing the players to miss out on one of the best traditions in America. Being around loved ones for a couple hours will help the players play better not the other way around. Like they aren't going to eat a shit load of turkey and sides if they stay in Starkville anyways. This is one of the dumbest arguments this board gets into every year. Lighten up and let the players eat turkey with their moms. It's not even a full half day.

BRAVO .... and fade to slow clap

sleepy dawg
11-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Fvck those Ole Miss thugs on house arrest, they are "home" for a reason. NOTHING that they EVER do should be our model... EVER!!!!! GTHOM!!!!!!

bingo!

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 04:59 PM
This may be an argument if more than 10-15 kids went home. Again most stay in Starkville & have Thanksgiving dinner with the team & coaches. Some players families come early to eat with the team.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 05:04 PM
This may be an argument if more than 10-15 kids went home. Again most stay in Starkville & have Thanksgiving dinner with the team & coaches. Some players families come early to eat with the team.

It's a non-issue. Some fans are just like to find things to bitch about. If we lose Saturday, this will be brought up in full force as one of the reasons why. If we win, it will be brought up next year...

drummerdawg
11-24-2015, 05:05 PM

I wasn't making the food argument. I do think that this week should be treated like all other game weeks and deserves to be treated as such especially considering the importance of this game. Holiday or not the team needs to be prepared physically and mentally while staying focused on the game. You can twist it however you want but at best it's a distraction and takes time away from game prep. I'm sorry but last year left a baaaaad taste in my mouth and maybe it wasn't because the players were coming in to town only a day earlier from being out of town. But to me it seemed like we coulda/shoulda spent some more time preparing for the team that kicked our ass and it's odd that we just happened to forget how to tackle that week. I'm having Thanksgiving with my family tomorrow and another on Friday instead of Thursday, people can wait to eat with their family that Sunday. Im pretty sure they'd be understanding.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 05:10 PM
I wasn't making the food argument. I do think that this week should be treated like all other game weeks and deserves to be treated as such especially considering the importance of this game. Holiday or not the team needs to be prepared physically and mentally while staying focused on the game. You can twist it however you want but at best it's a distraction and takes time away from game prep. I'm sorry but last year left a baaaaad taste in my mouth and maybe it wasn't because the players were coming in to town only a day earlier from being out of town. But to me it seemed like we coulda/shoulda spent some more time preparing for the team that kicked our ass and it's odd that we just happened to forget how to tackle that week. I'm having Thanksgiving with my family tomorrow and another on Friday instead of Thursday, people can wait to eat with their family that Sunday. Im pretty sure they'ed be understanding.

Players take time to eat everyday. Maybe we should cut that out. Players take time to study and do homework everyday. Maybe we should cut that out. Players go and hangout with friends everyday. We should definitely cut that out. These players need to understand that football is the only thing that is important.

I'm sorry, but if you think that spending 2 or 3 hours with family to eat dinner and hangout is going to influence the game on Saturday then you are just getting ready with your excuses.

The truth is that last year we had a defensive coordinator that had checked out. A team that felt no motivation to play because they were going to be kept out of the playoff no matter the result on the field. Hard to swallow after being #1 for a large chunk of the season and expecting to play for it all.

Let's see. They were also playing on the road in a home dominated rivalry.

drummerdawg
11-24-2015, 05:22 PM
The truth is that last year we had a defensive coordinator that had checked out. A team that felt no motivation to play because they were going to be kept out of the playoff no matter the result on the field. Hard to swallow after being #1 for a large chunk of the season and expecting to play for it all.

That's BS. We were playing for a playoff spot. We were #4 and all we had to do was win and we didn't even show up. We can blame coaches and that's fine but it doesn't make me feel better. All I know is, is that several players left to go out of town, we left the day of from Starkville drove the 2 hours and got our asses handed to us. OM looked prepared and we did not. I have no idea if OM let their guys leave or not but I do know ours did and we played like crap. Like I said, maybe it wasn't because of the days off but I just want to see our team and coaches put everything possible in to this game and not to EVER do last years game plan again. Rant over.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 05:27 PM
That's BS. We were playing for a playoff spot. We were #4 and all we had to do was win and we didn't even show up. We can blame coaches and that's fine but it doesn't make me feel better. All I know is, is that several players left to go out of town, we left the day of from Starkville drove the 2 hours and got our asses handed to us. OM looked prepared and we did not. I have no idea if OM let their guys leave or not but I do know ours did and we played like crap. Like I said, maybe it wasn't because of the days off but I just want to see our team and coaches put everything possible in to this game and not to EVER do last years game plan again. Rant over.
Nobody had us in the top 4 even with a win against OM. I know we were the week going into it but it wasn't gonna stay that way with the conference championships coming up. OSU was gonna leap us whether we won the egg or not.

The players see that stuff. It shouldn't keep them from playing their guts out in a rivalry game but it sure looked like it did. Only Dak, Bear, and Shump showed up to play. Nobody else did.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 05:35 PM
You are clueless dude. You think we have a damn person per player to walk around and see what they do when they are out of our sight? Yea we feed them what we want them to have but that doesn't stop them from eating ice cream, pizza, drinking beer or smoking dope on their on time. There are 24 hours in a day. Football can have them for a max of 4. That leaves 20! We won't win or lose because they get to be w their families. Maybe that's how the band works though.
Eta, I saw one of our key players at little dooey last Thursday with a couple others, I'm sure they were there eating corn salad...:it worked out ok.....uggghhh

Keep trying to make this into a "the only reason we lost the Egg Bowl last year was because Dan let them go home" issue.

There is a reason why we have a DIETICION on our staff- and it's not to just give someone a job. And you're attempt to compare ONE player at the Lil Dooey vs. THE ENTIRE TEAM pigging out at Thanksgiving is laughable.

Again, it's about MAXIMIZING performance. Apparently you aren't for that or think it's a big deal. Your opinion even if it's grossly misinformed. Tell me how you feel after Thanksgiving Thursday and you will see what I am talking about.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Good retort.** By all means let's not do anything we can to gain every advantage we can during the week of the biggest game of the year.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark. Todd is one of the biggest critics against playing on Thanksgiving Day.

Yes- let's play on Thanksgiving because Dan is too big of a moron to balance the holiday and game week.**

Or how about this solution? Have the players go home for Thanksgiving after the game. It's not like they aren't going to get the first weekend off in December anyway. Rocket surgery I know.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Well they do typically get Friday off unless they're traveling and Thursday really only consists of a walk through which I'm assuming they will go through on Thursday morning instead of Thursday afternoon.

The difference is having Friday off every week is part of their regular game week routine. Having Thursday afternoon off and then traveling back to Starkville even if it is "just the two hour" guys after gluttoning out is very different.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 05:46 PM
The difference is having Friday off every week is part of their regular game week routine. Having Thursday afternoon off and then traveling back to Starkville even if it is "just the two hour" guys after gluttoning out is very different.

I think you are trying very hard. I'll give you that

drummerdawg
11-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Meanwhile Ben Howland says “We have a lot of room to grow. We will have two days off and then we practice hard Wednesday. We have Thanksgiving together as a team. We need this time together to get better.”

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 06:18 PM
I think you are trying very hard. I'll give you that

Not really. It's very obvious that letting even some of the team go home is at best a poor decision when you stop to think about it. It's common sense.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Not really. It's very obvious that letting even some of the team go home is at best a poor decision when you stop to think about it. It's common sense.
They aren't going home for a sleep over. They are going to eat a meal. You keep bringing up diet. There is no telling what these guys eat and drink that the dietician has no clue about because they can't be monitored 24/7.

One meal has never made any difference in overall performance. The only time one meal makes a difference is in weight classes and bodybuilding.

And who's to say that the dietician hasn't already factored this heavy meal in anyway? Not that it makes a big difference anyway.

Now the losing focus thing... I still don't see it. If he was letting them go home the day of the game before they played then sure. But two days before for a few hours? Nope don't see it

HoopsDawg
11-24-2015, 06:45 PM
They aren't going home for a sleep over. They are going to eat a meal. You keep bringing up diet. There is no telling what these guys eat and drink that the dietician has no clue about because they can't be monitored 24/7.

One meal has never made any difference in overall performance. The only time one meal makes a difference is in weight classes and bodybuilding.

And who's to say that the dietician hasn't already factored this heavy meal in anyway? Not that it makes a big difference anyway.

Now the losing focus thing... I still don't see it. If he was letting them go home the day of the game before they played then sure. But two days before for a few hours? Nope don't see it

Are you sure they are coming home right after the meal? Last year Mullen just told them to be back by the team meeting friday morning.

RC3
11-24-2015, 06:47 PM
I will just weigh in. Spending a brief holiday with your family, or one of your "brother's" families is more important than a damn game in the long run. I want to beat the hell out of them as badly as any of yall, but there is a bigger picture at play. Do I think it could have some small effect on their readiness?? sure, maybe a minuscule amount, but that doesn't outweigh the importance of having a brief break from it all and having the opportunity to spend quality time with your loved ones. I am sorry if that sounds weak or noncompetitive but its not that big of a deal. give Thursday afternoon off. make them be back that night, or early friday. not that big of a deal

SDDawg
11-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Freeze said that he gave his guys assignments to give back to the community.

They givin' Spice or Coke?

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 09:34 PM

I bet our dietician does know when they eat something that they aren't supposed to since that's her freaking job. She may not know if it's Lil' Dooey or McDonald's- but I bet when she weighs them she knows that they didn't do something right. You don't have to monitor someone 24/7 to know if they are or aren't doing what they are supposed to.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
I bet our dietician does know when they eat something that they aren't supposed to since that's her freaking job. She may not know if it's Lil' Dooey or McDonald's- but I bet when she weighs them she knows that they didn't do something right. You don't have to monitor someone 24/7 to know if they are or aren't doing what they are supposed to.
My point was that a dietician would agree that one meal does not make a difference. Consistently eating bad or not eating enough does. Geez

Jarius
11-24-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't like them going home but it has nothing to Do with diet. Our players go to the bar on the weekends (in season), eat out, etc.....a thanksgiving meal on Thursday is not going to effect their performance on Saturday. I don't like it because it throws off their game week routine in the most important week of the year, and there is a chance that someone could get into something they don't need to get into (I realize that this can happen even if they don't go home but the chances are raised if they go home and don't have a place that they are required to be for that amount of time). A lot of accidents happen over the holidays. I don't think the risk outweighs the reward of staying together as a team.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 09:47 PM
I don't like them going home but it has nothing to Do with diet. Our players go to the bar on the weekends (in season), eat out, etc.....a thanksgiving meal on Thursday is not going to effect their performance on Saturday. I don't like it because it throws off their game week routine in the most important week of the year, and there is a chance that someone could get into something they don't need to get into (I realize that this can happen even if they don't go home but the chances are raised if they go home and don't have a place that they are required to be for that amount of time). A lot of accidents happen over the holidays. I don't think the risk outweighs the reward of staying together as a team.

This is a sensible argument against. Lots of cops out for the holidays. Lots of drunk drivers on the roads increasing the risk of an accident. Etc.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 09:51 PM
This is a sensible argument against. Lots of cops out for the holidays. Lots of drunk drivers on the roads increasing the risk of an accident. Etc.

Did I not mention multiple times that it would throw us out of our weekly routine?

DawgFromOxford
11-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Most of the players don't go home. Only those in the close surrounding areas such as Gabe Myles or Aeris Williams are allowed to go home. The rest of the team stays in Starkville and has dinner with the team. Usually their parents come to Starkville to celebrate Thanksgiving, not the other way around.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Did I not mention multiple times that it would throw us out of our weekly routine?
I was referring more to the chance of someone getting into trouble either with the law or in an accident. Sorry. Should have clarified.

Jarius
11-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Most of the players don't go home. Only those in the close surrounding areas such as Gabe Myles or Aeris Williams are allowed to go home. The rest of the team stays in Starkville and has dinner with the team. Usually their parents come to Starkville to celebrate Thanksgiving, not the other way around.

I don't have a problem with them just going to eat a meal. I don't like them being gone overnight. I don't know their schedule. You sound like you do. If what you say is true and they are just eating a meal for a few hours, then I really don't care (not that anyone cares if I care).

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't have a problem with them just going to eat a meal. I don't like them being gone overnight. I don't know their schedule. You sound like you do. If what you say is true and they are just eating a meal for a few hours, then I really don't care (not that anyone cares if I care).

Thing is nobody knows how often an Aeris or Gabe go home on a typical night. It's all just angst or worry until we win Saturday.

Homedawg
11-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Thing is nobody knows how often an Aeris or Gabe go home on a typical night. It's all just angst or worry until we win Saturday.

Clearly, you don't know or care about nutrition****

Homedawg
11-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Keep trying to make this into a "the only reason we lost the Egg Bowl last year was because Dan let them go home" issue.

There is a reason why we have a DIETICION on our staff- and it's not to just give someone a job. And you're attempt to compare ONE player at the Lil Dooey vs. THE ENTIRE TEAM pigging out at Thanksgiving is laughable.

Again, it's about MAXIMIZING performance. Apparently you aren't for that or think it's a big deal. Your opinion even if it's grossly misinformed. Tell me how you feel after Thanksgiving Thursday and you will see what I am talking about.

Again, you miss the point- we don't have an around the clock manager of the guys. If we did, we wouldn't have failed drug tests, arrests, missed classes and God forbid bad meals eaten. While they are in our sight we control what they eat. Otherwise it's up to them. Whether that's thanksgiving, Labor Day, October 12, etc etc. its up to the PLaYER! If you can't get that I can't help you. Good grief. And no we can't have them in front of us the whole week under NCAA rules anyway.

And who said one guy, I said one KEY player. And who is to say that 30 others weren't at other places? AND , when did anyone say the entire team was leaving on thanksgiving anyway? Most will be here. Many will be eating at coaches houses, better make sure the dietician has cleared there meals-****

Homedawg
11-24-2015, 10:40 PM

Weekly routine? Damn man, are we supposed to hire professors and send them to class so they can be in their "routine"??? Just give up. This isn't even an argument. It's beyond stupid, you don't have one good reason, yet continue to reach!!!

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Again, you miss the point- we don't have an around the clock manager of the guys. If we did, we wouldn't have failed drug tests, arrests, missed classes and God forbid bad meals eaten. While they are in our sight we control what they eat. Otherwise it's up to them. Whether that's thanksgiving, Labor Day, October 12, etc etc. its up to the PLaYER! If you can't get that I can't help you. Good grief. And no we can't have them in front of us the whole week under NCAA rules anyway.

No I get your point. That still doesn't mean that the coaches should encourage it by allowing them to be off. Why risk it? Especially in light of Dak getting attacked on spring break, Bear getting into trouble because he was hanging out with some friends who smoked pot and they got busted, and then MJ passing away tragically. ALL incidents where we allowed players to go home and something bad happened each time.

And then on top of that we encourage them to go away from campus and not focus on the game at hand and pretty much guarantee that they are going to eat crap on top of it all?

Your "point" is it's OK to play with fire because "it's not a big deal" essentially. Whether you realize it or not- which I doubt you do.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Weekly routine? Damn man, are we supposed to hire professors and send them to class so they can be in their "routine"??? Just give up. This isn't even an argument. It's beyond stupid, you don't have one good reason, yet continue to reach!!!

I was referring to their practice routine dumbass. FAIL AGAIN.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 10:50 PM

And again, that's something that is NORMAL for them. It's the guys that don't normally go home that I have the issue with.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 10:52 PM
And again, that's something that is NORMAL for them. It's the guys that don't normally go home that I have the issue with.

That's the thing nobody knows who or if anybody goes home who don't normally go. It's a lot of speculation & guessing.

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 10:56 PM
That's the thing nobody knows who or if anybody goes home who don't normally go. It's a lot of speculation & guessing.

Common sense says that a player that lives within a 40-50 mile radius max of campus could feasibly live at home and go to school. Based on that, I think we can all fairly speculate pretty well who does and doesn't go home more than others.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2015, 11:01 PM
Common sense says that a player that lives within a 40-50 mile radius max of campus could feasibly live at home and go to school. Based on that, I think we can all fairly speculate pretty well who does and doesn't go home more than others.

So if they can go home at any time being so close why is Thursday any different?

Todd4State
11-24-2015, 11:07 PM
So if they can go home at any time being so close why is Thursday any different?

For those within that radius, it's not any different. Hence my response to you above about the players that live close going home being part of their NORMAL routine. And as I said, those players aren't the ones I am talking about. It's the ones that are two hours away that I have the issue with beyond that radius.

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Campus is totally dead on Thursday. You want players to be on home arrest during Thanksgiving day/night so they can just sit in their apartment and focus on Saturday? Overthinking and over preparing for a game leads to being tight which leads to worse results. You realize that right? It's a fine line to walk and it's different for everyone. Each player has their own routine to get ready and it's different from everyone else. Some want to not think about the game at all. Some want to study film all day. Some want a blend of it. These players are basically minor league football players and they are ADULTS. Treat them with respect and you'll get more respect back in return. Believe your players know how to get themselves ready for a game they've been playing their whole lives. Trust them and don't treat them with kid gloves. I want our team loose, relaxed, and having fun. Basically the opposite of what forcing them to adhere to house arrest will do.

A relaxed muscle will outperform a tense one every single time.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Mullen said tonight that he and the team will still get the same amount of hours in that they get in on any typical game week.

smootness
11-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Campus is totally dead on Thursday. You want players to be on home arrest during Thanksgiving day/night so they can just sit in their apartment and focus on Saturday? Overthinking and over preparing for a game leads to being tight which leads to worse results. You realize that right? It's a fine line to walk and it's different for everyone. Each player has their own routine to get ready and it's different from everyone else. Some want to not think about the game at all. Some want to study film all day. Some want a blend of it. These players are basically minor league football players and they are ADULTS. Treat them with respect and you'll get more respect back in return. Believe your players know how to get themselves ready for a game they've been playing their whole lives. Trust them and don't treat them with kid gloves. I want our team loose, relaxed, and having fun. Basically the opposite of what forcing them to adhere to house arrest will do.

Thank you.

smootness
11-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Especially in light of Dak getting attacked on spring break, Bear getting into trouble because he was hanging out with some friends who smoked pot and they got busted, and then MJ passing away tragically. ALL incidents where we allowed players to go home and something bad happened each time.

:facepalm:

Blackout
11-24-2015, 11:21 PM

Because it's a traditional stuff your face until you can't move day with not the best of foods

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Because it's a traditional stuff your face until you can't move day with not the best of foods

Sigh

Dawg61
11-24-2015, 11:39 PM

Eating as many calories and carbs as they can stand is actually a positive thing for some players. Chris Jones for example could probably put down 10,000 calories two days before a game. Know why? Cause he needs that many to perform at his best. Michael Phelps eats 10,000 calories per day during training. Look it up.

mstatefan91
11-24-2015, 11:47 PM
It's about consistent eating. One meal of overeating does not mean anything. Good lord you guys are ignorant.

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 12:14 AM

I want them to celebrate Thanksgiving AFTER the Egg Bowl. Vince Lombardi constantly put his players on "house arrest"- that worked out OK. The 49ers dynasty teams were very business like during their Super Bowls. That turned out OK for them too. It depends on the team I suppose but it's ignorant to sit there and say that there isn't anything to routine and they we should 100% break up the routine and expect better results. And that keeping the routine will somehow lead to worse play.

As I said earlier- if Ole Miss sends their players home, then I'm fine with sending our guys home too. If they don't- then we shouldn't either.

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Mullen said tonight that he and the team will still get the same amount of hours in that they get in on any typical game week.

Of course he did. I suspect he knows that there is some criticism over how he has handled this in the past. And yes- I do believe him when he says that they are getting the same amount of practice time.

But practice time isn't so much the issue as the other things that have been discussed in this thread. I would be interested to hear him address that.

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 12:18 AM

Apparently we have some fans that have never celebrated Thanksgiving before in their lives. That or they will defend Dan to the death.

smootness
11-25-2015, 12:18 AM
As I said earlier- if Ole Miss sends their players home, then I'm fine with sending our guys home too. If they don't- then we shouldn't either.

Shoot, if Ole Miss does send players home, shouldn't that be more reason not to send ours home? I mean, we'd be guaranteed to win then!

Todd4State
11-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Shoot, if Ole Miss does send players home, shouldn't that be more reason not to send ours home? I mean, we'd be guaranteed to win then!

I'm not exactly sure why you are hung up on this notion that I said that sending our players home "guarantees" a win or a loss- which is something I NEVER have said once. All I have said for the fiftieth time is that I want our players to be in a position where their performance is MAXIMIZED.

That said- I do believe in the spirit of fair competition and sport. The problem is Ole Miss very rarely does. But if they wanted to send their players home for Thanksgiving I would be OK reciprocating that.

Blackout
11-25-2015, 12:39 AM
I'm not exactly sure why you are hung up on this notion that I said that sending our players home guarantees a win or loss.

Death of the West on full display with them T4S. No semblance of logical, analytical thinking because a computer has done it for them their whole lives. Statistics, probability, game theory all no longer part of the common core curriculum. We are reduced to a platitude driven, simplistic minded nation focused on people and not ideas.

"Great minds discuss ideas, small minds discuss people" on full display indeed. Mullen and the players is all they see.

"It won't determine a W or L"
"One big meal don't mean shiiiiit"
"Thanksgivings just like any other dayyyy"
"Who cares if i throw my whiskey when we score"
"Look at our history, no way you can criticize Mullenz for anything"

mstatefan91
11-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Of course he did. I suspect he knows that there is some criticism over how he has handled this in the past. And yes- I do believe him when he says that they are getting the same amount of practice time.

But practice time isn't so much the issue as the other things that have been discussed in this thread. I would be interested to hear him address that.
I don't know that he's aware of it. He could be.

The question was more in reaction to him calling it a hectic week with the holiday so someone asked how many hours he expected to get in before game time. He stated that it would be the usual but with a slightly different schedule.

Dawg61
11-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Apparently we have some fans that have never celebrated Thanksgiving before in their lives. That or they will defend Dan to the death.

Maybe you can take down a couple dozen plates but for myself it's one big plate at noon and I'm good till the Cowboys are done getting their ass kicked. How much are you eating bro? Lol

Dawg61
11-25-2015, 12:47 AM
Death of the West on full display with them T4S. No semblance of logical, analytical thinking because a computer has done it for them their whole lives. Statistics, probability, game theory all no longer part of the common core curriculum. We are reduced to a platitude driven, simplistic minded nation focused on people and not ideas.

"Great minds discuss ideas, small minds discuss people" on full display indeed. Mullen and the players is all they see.

Vrooooom Taxi!! Blackout has left the reservation.

mstatefan91
11-25-2015, 12:48 AM

This post is so full of shit. And if you really think one meal makes a difference then you know absolutely nothing about nutrition and should do some research instead of relying on what someone told you 20 years ago. Athletic performance (not talking about game planning here) boils down to 3 things. Eating consistently, consistent resting, and consistent training. One bad meal means absolutely nothing, one bad night of sleep means absolutely nothing and one bad day of training means absolutely nothing if you've been doing it all right consistently over a long period of time. Damn

smootness
11-25-2015, 12:50 AM
I honestly can't believe this thread has gone 5 pages.

It's a complete non-issue.

mstatefan91
11-25-2015, 12:54 AM

Yeah. Idk why I've let myself get so caught up in it

Dawg61
11-25-2015, 12:55 AM

Will James has bunting. C34 has Stansbury. 7 has the Braves and Todd has Turkey.

drunkernhelldawg
11-25-2015, 02:28 AM
Message for football players who read this board:

Listen to and learn from your real coaches, not the coaches on the internet. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for all you do.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-25-2015, 10:08 AM
@bobcarskadon: Thanksgiving dinner waiting on @HailStateFB after practice https://t.co/fgGtIC0TKP

https://pbs.twimg.com//CUnWyymUwAA1HPl?format=pjpg&name=large

ITS A SABOTAGE! WHY AREN'T WE EATING COTTAGE CHEESE & SALT TABLETS! THE NUTRITIONIST IS A REBEL SPY! DAK RUSHED TO HOSPITAL AFTER SLIPPING INTO TRYPTOPHAN COMA!

smootness
11-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Oh no. I seriously doubt we have Thanksgiving dinner after our Wednesday practice every week. This is a bad sign.

BB30
11-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Hilarious, thanks for the entertainment.

Johnson85
11-25-2015, 10:38 AM
This post is so full of shit. And if you really think one meal makes a difference then you know absolutely nothing about nutrition and should do some research instead of relying on what someone told you 20 years ago. Athletic performance (not talking about game planning here) boils down to 3 things. Eating consistently, consistent resting, and consistent training. One bad meal means absolutely nothing, one bad night of sleep means absolutely nothing and one bad day of training means absolutely nothing if you've been doing it all right consistently over a long period of time. Damn

And maybe you have never met a real person before? Or at the very least, you have surely not played a competitive team sport before.

Players are sluggish sometimes. Usually, a few minutes into the game and people's juices get flowing. Sometimes they never get going; they're in such a hole before they get mentally focused that they can't ever get right. You'd think the egg bowl would be a game where that doesn't happen, but it's happened to State two times in the last three years. If you think changing your routine and eating habits for a week can't make a difference, like I said, you should go participate in a competitive team sport, or if that's not an option, you should at least go meet some humans.

There are plenty of things besides going home for thanksgiving that could be contributing to the problem (some combination of playing on the road, driving over on the day of the game (which is what I think is the worst; even an hour and a half ride tends to make me a little less than full speed), DC's that are checked out (an obvious problem in two out o fthe last three years, although our offensive coaching had just as much of a problem without a coordinator with one foot out the door), etc.). But after the last two egg bowls in Oxford, I'd certainly prefer to keep as much of our weekly routine in place as possible.

RealHastings
11-25-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm late to the party, but I'd have to agree with Todd. I'm not saying letting the players go home will decide whether we win or lose or even affect the way we play, I would just feel better if we did not allow that. Just have a big team thanksgiving meal together. Would go well with the family precedence we promote.

smootness
11-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Well, after the last several Egg Bowls in Starkville, I want us to do the same routine we did for those games. And I'm guessing it's exactly what we did for the Oxford Egg Bowls, too.

That's the problem. If you can argue going home for Thanksgiving is a reason for our losses in Oxford, then it's also a reason for our wins in Starkville.

Odds are, though, that it had nothing to do with the result in any of the games.

smootness
11-25-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm late to the party, but I'd have to agree with Todd. I'm not saying letting the players go home will decide whether we win or lose or even affect the way we play, I would just feel better if we did not allow that. Just have a big team thanksgiving meal together. Would go well with the family precedence we promote.

But I don't want these players missing Thanksgiving at home just because it would make a few fans irrationally feel better. It's insane.

FISHDAWG
11-25-2015, 10:54 AM
And maybe you have never met a real person before? Or at the very least, you have surely not played a competitive team sport before.

Players are sluggish sometimes. Usually, a few minutes into the game and people's juices get flowing. Sometimes they never get going; they're in such a hole before they get mentally focused that they can't ever get right. You'd think the egg bowl would be a game where that doesn't happen, but it's happened to State two times in the last three years. If you think changing your routine and eating habits for a week can't make a difference, like I said, you should go participate in a competitive team sport, or if that's not an option, you should at least go meet some humans.

There are plenty of things besides going home for thanksgiving that could be contributing to the problem (some combination of playing on the road, driving over on the day of the game (which is what I think is the worst; even an hour and a half ride tends to make me a little less than full speed), DC's that are checked out (an obvious problem in two out o fthe last three years, although our offensive coaching had just as much of a problem without a coordinator with one foot out the door), etc.). But after the last two egg bowls in Oxford, I'd certainly prefer to keep as much of our weekly routine in place as possible.

sleeping in one's own bed the night before trumps a two hr ride to the game the next day ... I know that I never rest / sleep well in a hotel and I would much rather be rested and face a short commute than to toss and turn all night long ...just MHO

smootness
11-25-2015, 10:58 AM
sleeping in one's own bed the night before trumps a two hr ride to the game the next day ... I know that I never rest / sleep well in a hotel and I would much rather be rested and face a short commute than to toss and turn all night long ...just MHO

This just depends on the person. I sleep like a baby pretty much anywhere. But that's why it's up to the coach and what he thinks will help his team the most.

It's just funny that Mullen and Meyer have always let players go home for Thanksgiving, and they have historically beaten their rivals at a much higher rate than the rest of the country. But since we also did it last year and lost, it's because we let our players go home at Thanksgiving.

Johnson85
11-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Well, after the last several Egg Bowls in Starkville, I want us to do the same routine we did for those games. And I'm guessing it's exactly what we did for the Oxford Egg Bowls, too.
I'm thinking they're not going to let us move teh game to thanksgiving on this short of notice, but I agree I'd like to follow that routine also.

mstatefan91
11-25-2015, 11:16 AM

I have played multiple sports for multiple years throughout my life. Next

smootness
11-25-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm thinking they're not going to let us move teh game to thanksgiving on this short of notice, but I agree I'd like to follow that routine also.

Haha good point. I forgot the 2013 game was on Thanksgiving, but the 2009-2011 Egg Bowls were on Saturday.

MabenMaroon
11-25-2015, 05:35 PM
OH!NO! we are double screwed then, I saw about 2 dozen of our players at the women's game last night, some were hanging out with what appeared to be family members, some were drinking soft drinks and get this ... at least two of them ate a hotdog! And to think they are going to top this all off with having half of Thanksgiving off and some will get to be with family members. Oh the humanity!, what a bloodbath it will be ... we should just forfeit the game right now, we don't stand a 17*chance ****

RealHastings
11-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Well sheeyut, we're 17d boyz. Might as well pack it up now and not even show up***

smootness
11-26-2015, 10:28 AM
OH!NO! we are double screwed then, I saw about 2 dozen of our players at the women's game last night, some were hanging out with what appeared to be family members, some were drinking soft drinks and get this ... at least two of them ate a hotdog! And to think they are going to top this all off with having half of Thanksgiving off and some will get to be with family members. Oh the humanity!, what a bloodbath it will be ... we should just forfeit the game right now, we don't stand a 17*chance ****

All good points.