PDA

View Full Version : SEC West question

djaymsu5
11-23-2015, 07:22 PM
If we win Saturday and LSU beats Texas A&M would they not jump us in the standings since they have the same record and the head to head? Same goes for Texas A&M

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 07:44 PM
If we win Saturday and LSU beats Texas A&M would they not jump us in the standings since they have the same record and the head to head? Same goes for Texas A&M

I don't think either will be ahead of the other as far as official standings go. They will just be tied. If we win, there will basically be a four way tie behind Bama with MSU, UM, Arky and LSU/A&M. If you wanted to use the same tie breaker used for teh SEC CG, I think UM would get knocked out first because they would be 1-2 against LSU/A&m, Ark, and MSU. If LSU wins, they would also be eliminated with a 1-2 record against MSU, UM, and Ark. Then we'd be above Ark based on head to head. If A&M wins, Ark would be eliminated with UM and then A&M would be above us based on head to head.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-23-2015, 07:50 PM
They only have tiebreakers for 1st. Every other team could claim they finished 2nd.

TUSK
11-23-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm gonna take a stab at this multiple team tie breaker thing....

Assumptions: MSU beats Ole Miss, LSU beats A&M, & Arkansas beats Missouri...

Ole Miss, MSU, Arkie and LSU all finish 5 & 3...

Alabama
Ole Miss (Florida loss)
MSU
LSU
Arkie
A&M
Auburn

that's my best "quick and dirty" calculation...

djaymsu5
11-23-2015, 09:08 PM
I wonder how they would determine who goes to what bowl if we all finish with the same record like that. Assuming Florida loses the next two which I think will happen btw. I would be happy with the Sugar, Chick Fila etc. but would be really cool to make it to the sugar and watch them in NOLA

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm gonna take a stab at this multiple team tie breaker thing....

Assumptions: MSU beats Ole Miss, LSU beats A&M, & Arkansas beats Missouri...

Ole Miss, MSU, Arkie and LSU all finish 5 & 3...

Alabama
Ole Miss (Florida loss)
MSU
LSU
Arkie
A&M
Auburn

that's my best "quick and dirty" calculation...

They go overall record within the group first. UM would win 'record within the division', but I don't think there's a scenario where it would go that far down the list of tie breakers.