PDA

View Full Version : I just got home from State's football practice.

gravedigger
08-01-2013, 07:23 PM
What I noticed:

We have some defensive backs with serious quickness. Cox stood out to me. Great reaction time.

Tyler's passes looked sharper than I remember but then again, they were not in shoulder pads.

We have some contenders at WR but Ro Jo looked great. BJ Hammond will be good and Christy is a work in progress but he'll be good too. Ross looked like all he needs is a bit of technique coaching and he'll turn into a playmaker.

Dak's passes did not look nearly as sharp as Tylers. However Dak looked more like a qb than the past. I don't know if I can explain that. He just did.

Damian Williams will not just wait his turn. He's going to press Dak for the job next year.

Chris Jones is enormous. Not fat at all. He's just, and you might not appreciate this if you are too young.....but he's 'Ed too tall Jones' enormous.

I had a chance to speak to former qb Sleepy Robinson at practice for a minute. I asked him what the coaches are primarily looking at in the first hours of practice in the fall. His answer was intensity and assignments. By the way, Sleepy is one of my favorite players ever and I could tell he stll misses the game, but the guy is some kind of state fan. Married a girl from Starkville.

This WHOLE year's success or lack thereof will boil down to two things: run blocking and pass blocking.

I think the defense will do the job it needs to do and has the talent to sustain an injury or two.

Behrdawg
08-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the update. See any action out of Antoine?

CadaverDawg
08-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Good stuff, gravedigger. How did the other corners look outside of Cox?

gravedigger
08-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Help me out. Last name?

CadaverDawg
08-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Help me out. Last name?

He prolly meant Quadry Antoine

gravedigger
08-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Redmond is one of the quick ones. Ill go back brought some notes and give a better update in a couple hours. Suffice to say I don't think it will be a weakness this year. We may not have all the big plays we saw from slay and banks but we will not hurt at cb

BeastMan
08-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the update. Its appreciated

elitedawgs
08-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the update gravedigger!

CadaverDawg
08-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Redmond is one of the quick ones. Ill go back brought some notes and give a better update in a couple hours. Suffice to say I don't think it will be a weakness this year. We may not have all the big plays we saw from slay and banks but we will not hurt at cb

Great news. Thanks again, Gravedigger. Says a lot about Townsend that these young guys are looking good this early.

thedawg
08-01-2013, 08:09 PM
High school coach I know was at practice and the first person he mentioned when I asked him looked good was Cedric Jiles.. said great feet and ball skills

gravedigger
08-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. I didnt pay attention to him enough to make an observation, but I will be attending saturday mornings practice and will have a report posted on the board after that. I will take more of a notice of the defense. I couldnt help but focus on the offense while talking to Sleepy Robinson.

What was most interesting about the practice was how well the timing of the offense looked. I guess they work on that individually all spring and summer after spring practices.

The Defense, as far as I can tell, should not cost us this year but my impression was that the younger guys are far quicker than the upper classmen.

I tried to shy away from focusing on who dropped what pass or who threw what interception because I think coaches expect that rustiness in the first couple of sessions and I think we fans should too.

I did say Dak didnt look as sharp as I expected but that was only in his pass accuracy. I saw where someone mentioned he threw the pick 6 to Cox. For whatever reason, I decided to eyeball cox on that play from just before the snap. That interception was a very well thrown ball and Cox made a perfect play and reaction, so I didnt consider that when I made the statement about Dak.

My statement about Ross and technique was based on the fact that when he ran a route and dropped the ball or the ball sailed over his head, Mullen was pretty quick to pull him aside and instruct.

Hevesy was in typical form, but the offensive line looked a bit rusty as well. Hevesy spent a good deal of time talking to a true freshman (cole,carter?) on technique and didnt seem to pleased on the movement of the O linemen on pitch plays when they were running scrimmage plays against the # 1 defense.

I didnt watch the kickers or punters. That will be another part I pay attention to on saturday morning

I seen it dawg
08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Dammit gravedigger get with the program!!! ;)