PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Projection

It_Could_Happen
11-23-2015, 12:19 PM
It's all over the place right now. I'm seeing everything from Nashville to Orlando to Tampa. I think everybody's first choice is Sugar, but what do you guys think the most likely destination is after a win this weekend?

starkvegasdawg
11-23-2015, 12:21 PM
A win this weekend is citrus or outback at a minimum.

rabbitthedawg
11-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Actually I'd love for it to be the Peach Bowl in Atlanta. Great place to go and not that far, provided we don't get the Sugar Bowl.

dickiedawg
11-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Actually I'd love for it to be the Peach Bowl in Atlanta. Great place to go and not that far, provided we don't get the Sugar Bowl.

That'd be a hell of a bowl. But would require the SEC getting a playoff team plus two at large big 6 bids, I don't see that happening.

Political Hack
11-23-2015, 03:42 PM
That'd be a hell of a bowl. But would require the SEC getting a playoff team plus two at large big 6 bids, I don't see that happening.

It's almost certainly Sugar or bust from a NY6 standpoint. We'd have to be top 12 or top 16 (can't remember which) to get an at-large bid. I don't see us getting in the top 12 and they won't pass over the 9-12 teams to go that low in the rankings.

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 03:48 PM
A win this weekend is citrus or outback at a minimum.

I may not understand it but I was thinking once you get past the citrus bowl, the next five or six bowls are basically a crap shoot. Top ranked team not in the CFP goes to Sugar. Citrus gets the next selection, and then you get to the big grouping.

There used to be a rule I think that the Citrus could pick it's representative, but couldn't pick a team with more than one game worse in record than the best team still available. Not sure if that still applies. I also think the loser of the SEC CG was guaranteed to fall no lower than the Outback or Cotton, which obviously doesn't apply with respect to the cotton and I assume doesn't apply at all.

Jack Lambert
11-23-2015, 03:51 PM
It's almost certainly Sugar or bust from a NY6 standpoint. We'd have to be top 12 or top 16 (can't remember which) to get an at-large bid. I don't see us getting in the top 12 and they won't pass over the 9-12 teams to go that low in the rankings.

I want to agree but you never know with this committee. If they want State in the Sugar Bowl they can make it happen. I think some of it also as to do with what team those bowl committee wants. If it's not the play off game. I could be wrong on those.

msudawg1200
11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
It's all over the place right now. I'm seeing everything from Nashville to Orlando to Tampa. I think everybody's first choice is Sugar, but what do you guys think the most likely destination is after a win this weekend?

Here's the scenarios:
1.Sugar-we win the Egg and UF loses to FSU and Bama to fall behind us in the rankings.
2.Citrus-we win the Egg and UF beats FSU
3.Outback-could happen if we win the Egg but Citrus wants LSU considering they beat A&M
4.Gator,Texas,Music City, Liberty-if we lose Egg we go to one of these

I think this is the way it is set:
1. Cotton(playoff)-Bama
2. Sugar-UF(if they beat FSU) or Egg winner if not
3. Citrus-see #2
4. Outback-A&M vs LSU winner
5. Gator-Egg Bowl loser
6. Belk-Tennessee
7. Texas-A&M vs LSU loser
8. Music City-Georgia
9. Liberty-UPig
10. Birmingham- Barn
11. Independence-UK if it beats Louisville

AlmostPositive
11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Damn I would love sending Ole Miss to the Belk Bowl.

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Here's the scenarios:
1.Sugar-we win the Egg and UF loses to FSU and Bama to fall behind us in the rankings.
2.Citrus-we win the Egg and UF beats FSU
3.Outback-could happen if we win the Egg but Citrus wants LSU considering they beat A&M
4.Gator,Texas,Music City, Liberty-if we lose Egg we go to one of these

I think this is the way it is set:
1. Cotton(playoff)-Bama
2. Sugar-UF(if they beat FSU) or Egg winner if not
3. Citrus-see #2
4. Outback-A&M vs LSU winner
5. Gator-Egg Bowl loser
6. Belk-Tennessee
7. Texas-A&M vs LSU loser
8. Music City-Georgia
9. Liberty-UPig
10. Birmingham- Barn
11. Independence-UK if it beats Louisville

Looking at the bowl selection order, I'm thinking there's very little chance we'll end up in the Citrus. If UF gets to the Sugar, the Citrus as far as I can tell has its choice among the remaining teams. It seems likely that the Citrus will choose between one of the three SEC teams that are 9-3 (the LSU/A&M winner, the MSU/UM winner, or UGA (provided they beat Ga Tech)). I could make an argument for any of them. If UM wins the egg bowl and UF is in the Sugar, I think it will be UM or UGA in the Citrus. From the West, LSU and A&M both have better brand name recognition and bigger fan bases, but UM will have a win over both of them, will have finished the season with good momentum, and their fans are not let down b/c of comparing this year to last year or from recent success like A&M and LSU arguably are. UM's real risk will be that UGA is a lot better name brand and has a larger and closer fan base for traveling purposes. The only hope for UM will be that Citrus bowl reps will feel like the UGA fanbase is apathetic about a 9-3 season after all this time.

If MSU wins the egg bowl and UF is in the Sugar, I think the winner of LSU/A&M and UGA will be a threat to get picked for the Citrus. I think we will look like the strongest team but any of the three would be justifiable.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Have ya'll looked to see who they are projecting in the Sugar Bowl opposite the SEC representative?

I would love to go to the Sugar, but it will look and feel a lot like the Peach from last year. Having something to gain from a win here is one thing, but is there that much to gain?

That team.......Baylor

Questions to ponder. I don't know.

Political Hack
11-23-2015, 05:32 PM
I want to agree but you never know with this committee. If they want State in the Sugar Bowl they can make it happen. I think some of it also as to do with what team those bowl committee wants. If it's not the play off game. I could be wrong on those.

Sugar takes #2 SEC team, which could be us. We're more attractive with Dak than LSU, A&M or Florida's apathetic offense. A&M is the only other fanbase that will pack the place. The Sugar will want us if we win the Egg. It doesn't matter what place were in if they want us and we are only 1 win lower than the other 2nd place SEC teams.

Dak taking us to the Sugar bowl seems fitting too. I think us vs OU would be a dream come true for the Sugar. That QB matchup is a 3 hour highlight reel.

AlmostPositive
11-23-2015, 05:39 PM
I agree... with an Arkansas style win at Ole Miss, Dak Prescott is about the best. most compelling story in college football...any bowl committee would surely weigh that heavily

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Sugar takes #2 SEC team, which could be us. We're more attractive with Dak than LSU, A&M or Florida's apathetic offense. A&M is the only other fanbase that will pack the place. The Sugar will want us if we win the Egg. It doesn't matter what place were in if they want us and we are only 1 win lower than the other 2nd place SEC teams.

Dak taking us to the Sugar bowl seems fitting too. I think us vs OU would be a dream come true for the Sugar. That QB matchup is a 3 hour highlight reel.

Where do you find that rule? I thought the playoff committee filled all of the 6 NYD bowls subject to the affiliation rules, so that whoever they ranked 2nd in the SEC is going to the Sugar.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2015, 07:15 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5696060-3x2-940x627.jpg

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Have ya'll looked to see who they are projecting in the Sugar Bowl opposite the SEC representative?

I would love to go to the Sugar, but it will look and feel a lot like the Peach from last year. Having something to gain from a win here is one thing, but is there that much to gain?

That team.......Baylor

Questions to ponder. I don't know.

Baylor would be an awful matchup for us, but I think being present in the Sugar trumps winning the Citrus or any other bowl. To go to one of the four most prestigious bowls in back to back years would be huge. Getting smoked in both of them would definitely take some of the luster off of it, but it'd still be better than a win in even the Citrus bowl. But it's not like we'll guaranteed a win in any bowl. Our pass defense is suspect and we can't run the ball. How we do in any bowl will depend a lot on the matchup.

WinningIsRelentless
11-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Baylor would be an awful matchup for us, but I think being present in the Sugar trumps winning the Citrus or any other bowl. To go to one of the four most prestigious bowls in back to back years would be huge. Getting smoked in both of them would definitely take some of the luster off of it, but it'd still be better than a win in even the Citrus bowl. But it's not like we'll guaranteed a win in any bowl. Our pass defense is suspect and we can't run the ball. How we do in any bowl will depend a lot on the matchup.

Hell Dak may throw for 1000 vs Baylor. We can score at will against them.

IMissJack
11-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Hell Dak may throw for 1000 vs Baylor. We can score at will against them.

That is what they are saying about us!

Coach34
11-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Sugar is taking the 2nd highest ranked SEC team- that will be us when we win the Egg and Fla loses out

Jack Lambert
11-23-2015, 08:01 PM

What I was saying the CFP commitee can make state the second highest ranked team if they want to. I think they do what they want to do and damn the torpedos.