PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech looking at Mullen??

Jacksondevildog
11-23-2015, 12:08 PM
http://footballscoop.com/news/virginia-tech-moving-towards-hiring-a-new-head-coach/

FYI THIS IS Website MANAGED by a TSUN Bear... Just read the thread don't give him the clicks.
-Scooba

smootness
11-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Lulz. Just get ready, these sites are going to be trying their best to convince everyone Mullen is leaving.

Brahmabull
11-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Maybe he is maybe he isn't.... No reason to worry about something one can't control.

nsvltndog
11-23-2015, 12:27 PM
I think he stays, but I've always felt when he does leave that the destination is likely to surprise a lot of people. This would fit that category.

One question - does anyone affiliated with footballscoop.com have an association with our friends in Oxford such that they would like to pull out all stops at creating a week of distraction?

NCDawg
11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Syracuse fired their coach, also. Think there are 3 ACC coaching openings now-Miami, V Tech, and Syracuse.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
VT interested in Dan....doubt Dan's interested in VT

RichardHarrow
11-23-2015, 12:36 PM
I think he stays, but I've always felt when he does leave that the destination is likely to surprise a lot of people. This would fit that category.

One question - does anyone affiliated with footballscoop.com have an association with our friends in Oxford such that they would like to pull out all stops at creating a week of distraction?

Yep. Apparently they're managed by an ole miss guy. Same outfit that started the Hevesy to USC rumors in January

ScottH
11-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Obviously, I have no idea if Mullen will go anywhere. Or if he wants to. Hell Megan may be packing as I type.

However, I am fairly confident his name is thrown about without anyone having a clue what he is paid. Most folks still assume poor lil MSU.

First I am going to assume Dan doesn't want a pay cut.

A quick goole search brought back Beamer at 2.5mm. Now is Va Tech really going to double their head coaching salary expenditure? May very well decide to. Their budget is slightly bigger than ours but so are their expenses.

Of the current openings only two USCe & USCw are in Dan's current pay range. Maryland is a wild card with Under Armor money.

Now all of that shifts 180 if LSU and/or UGA and their respective dominoes fall.

Think about this. Of All the current openings poor ole MSU would either be 1st or tied for first with USCw for current coaches pay. We've come a long way.

If Dan does decide to leave there will be line of quality coaches wanting our job.

TrapGame
11-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Does Dan have to bring his own couches to burn?**

RougeDawg
11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Are they willing to pay him $6+ mil a year? Probably what it'll take. Beamer only makes $2.7 mil total with bonuses.

These clown websites are just that, clown websites. Don't give them the clicks.

FISHDAWG
11-23-2015, 12:43 PM
I remember SS tweeting a couple years ago that if Mullen ever left it wouldn't be because of money .... who knows

blacklistedbully
11-23-2015, 12:44 PM
I just can't bring myself to see such a move as anything but a step down at this point. VT the past 4 years has lost, 6, 5, 6 then 6 or 7 this year. And this is in a soft ACC.

On the plus side, winning the ACC West should be a lot easier than winning the SECW, but is Dan interested in winning a weak-ass division in a mostly weak-ass conference? I think Dan enjoys being a HC in the SEC, and values a shot at winning an SEC Championship as a far greater accomplishment than winning an ACC West division.

But from a purely prestige POV, HC at VT is not > than HC at MSU.

All that said, I do have an inside source that told me VT is, in fact going very hard after Mullen, and the big money boosters are very much behind it.

Political Hack
11-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Lmao. Someone should take a few minutes and post all the "Mullen to ____" articles over the last few years.

I'm sure he told Michigan, Miami, Penn State and others to pound sand so he could go to Colorado or wherever that stupid rumor was from a year or two ago. These people are idiots 99.9% of the time.

USCw, Texas, UGA, LSU are concerns. VaTech is a lateral move to a crappier conference with worse recruiting grounds. Would be an epic failure on his part to even consider that.

Also, footballscoop purposely does this for recruiting purposes.

SDDawg
11-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Lmao. Someone should take a few minutes and post all the "Mullen to ____" articles over the last few years.

I'm sure he told Michigan, Miami, Penn State and others to pound sand so he could go to Colorado or wherever that stupid rumor was from a year or two ago. These people are idiots 99.9% of the time.

USCw, Texas, UGA, LSU are concerns. VaTech is a lateral move to a crappier conference with worse recruiting grounds. Would be an epic failure on his part to even consider that.

Let's be clear. #1 - FootballScoop is trash. #2 - there are 20+ schools that would hire Mullen if he was available, which he is not. #3 - of those that might look, there might be 5 could deliver the cash and none could deliver the opportunity that he has right now.

When Georgia or LSU offers, let me know. If they don't, I don't even think Mullen is having a conversation, much less seriously considering any other job. I could be proven wrong, but for this talk to be coming from these sources during rivalry week is more than a little suspicious. Clickbaiters gonna bait though...

missouridawg
11-23-2015, 12:54 PM

And now, they do it for distractions during Egg Bowl prep.

lachepas565
11-23-2015, 12:56 PM
USCw is the only opening that would be an upgrade at all. Miami might have been at one time, but all it offers now is a talent base and easy schedule. If money's even, maybe, but I don't think Miami can pay.

LSU, UGA, and Texas are potentials, but with SEC money - it's hard to find many better spots than an SEC school where you have some goodwill built up.

BossDawg
11-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Isn't that FootballScoop operated by some UMiss folks? This isn't the first time they're crowed about Mullen leaving....and it being Egg Bowl week and all...

Brahmabull
11-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Remember, it's not just about how much the head coach gets offered. You also have to consider the assistant coaching pool $'s. We maybe on the back end of the SEC in assistant coaching pool money, but we are still very high across the country.

Jarius
11-23-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm really interested in Mila Kunis. I'll let you guys know what she says about my interest in her as soon as I get a response.

blacklistedbully
11-23-2015, 01:01 PM
If....if Mullen were to leave this year, he'd be screwing us pretty badly, IMO, as this will be a terrible year to have to find another suitable HC, what with all the job opportunities becoming available.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Where is the Beaver going? He is the better "recruiter" and has UM ranked ahead of us. Strange that you never see those articles that seem to muddy the recruiting waters especially during Egg Bowl Week. This is purely some douches trying to create distractions.

BossDawg
11-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Where is the Beaver going? He is the better "recruiter" and has UM ranked ahead of us. Strange that you never see those articles that seem to muddy the recruiting waters especially during Egg Bowl Week. This is purely some douches trying to create distractions.

Ding ding ding! As pessimistic as I am, even I can see through this garbage. RebelBruiser probably told them that crap.

HSVDawg
11-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Not necessarily. We'd have the buyout money and no buy-out of ourselves to pay. We'd be able to pay top dollar for a replacement and compete with the big boys.. That being said, I hope he stays because he's done well here and once Saban leaves Bama he might be the premier coach in the SECW.

smootness
11-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Football Scoop is run by Scott Roussel. Coaching Search is run by Pete Roussel. They are brothers, both played at Newman High School, and both went to....Ole Miss.

I don't subscribe to many of the OM conspiracy theories, but this is one where it is 100% accurate. Literally don't pay attention to anything either of these sites says about Mullen.

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
It's weird to think that Mullen could stay long enough to get a statue at MSU and still have time to go have a full head coaching career at a traditional power if he wanted to. I have no clue what Mullen wants to do (other than knowing that he won't be going to Va Tech), but if he really liked the potential of Fitz and Staley, he could stay through their senior year and then if he's confident that he's going to have a record to get him more offers, he'd still be 46 or 47 if he wanted to move on at that point.

Blackout
11-23-2015, 01:30 PM
but if he really liked the potential of Fitz and Staley.

don't forget Tiano and I'm sure others that will flock here after Dak's success... Once we focus on O-Line crooting katie bar the door

ScreenCaptureThis
11-23-2015, 02:34 PM
A quick goole search brought back Beamer at 2.5mm. Now is Va Tech really going to double their head coaching salary expenditure? May very well decide to. Their budget is slightly bigger than ours but so are their expenses.

There are several HIGH-dollar VT boosters that will pay big money to get the man they want. Now, that camp is apparently split between Beamer loyalty (Foster) and getting the best name available, but they are aware they aren't paying much right now and are prepared to pony up for a contract.

They live and breathe by this 22 straight bowl appearances mantra, and will do whatever they can to make sure their record continues (although the game at Charlottesville is starting to look a little less like a sure bet).

And yes, there is a lot of money in that area. It's primarily in the coal industry, but it's there and it's BIG.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2015, 02:37 PM
There is no job opening better than MState except the possible LSU opening and LSU does not want Mullen.

smootness
11-23-2015, 02:43 PM
There are several HIGH-dollar VT boosters that will pay big money to get the man they want. Now, that camp is apparently split between Beamer loyalty (Foster) and getting the best name available, but they are aware they aren't paying much right now and are prepared to pony up for a contract.

They live and breathe by this 22 straight bowl appearances mantra, and will do whatever they can to make sure their record continues (although the game at Charlottesville is starting to look a little less like a sure bet).

And yes, there is a lot of money in that area. It's primarily in the coal industry, but it's there and it's BIG.

Mullen is not going to VT.

ScreenCaptureThis
11-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Mullen is not going to VT.

I agree. However, VT will pay whomever they get to agree to coach up there decent $$. More than Beamer was making and I would venture a guess to say they'll pay in the ballpark of $4M+.

engie
11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Yep. Apparently they're managed by an ole miss guy. Same outfit that started the Hevesy to USC rumors in January

Not managed --- owned by an Ole Miss guy. Same one that wrote that article.

engie
11-23-2015, 03:28 PM
I agree. However, VT will pay whomever they get to agree to coach up there decent $$. More than Beamer was making and I would venture a guess to say they'll pay in the ballpark of $4M+.

Which is what Dan makes now

Jack Lambert
11-23-2015, 03:30 PM
I feel things would work out good for us. The program is in dang good shape. I just don't see him going to VT. If he leaves he is going somewhere he can for sure win the NC.

Thrill1
11-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Does Dan have to bring his own couches to burn?**

That would be West Virginia.

Political Hack
11-23-2015, 03:45 PM

He's going to take a pay cut to go to VT?

TrapGame
11-23-2015, 03:48 PM
That would be West Virginia.

I kept waiting for someone to catch that. Didn't feel like deleting it.

But, hell VT is close enough to Blacksburg for them to burn a few couches too.

ScreenCaptureThis
11-23-2015, 03:51 PM
He's going to take a pay cut to go to VT?

I said I agree. My "however" was in reference to the original statement of VT only paying Beamer 2.5M. VT will pay. Maybe they'll pony up $6m/yr. Who knows? I simply said I am confident they will pay much more for their new coach, assuming it's a name they absolutely want. Rumors were that they would pay RRod $4-5M, but the big money players up there don't like him. They are still leaning in Foster's direction.

For the last time: I do NOT feel Mullen will take that job. I DO think they will pay MUCH more than the $2.5 they're paying Beamer, for someone OTHER than Mullen.

Bothrops
11-23-2015, 03:53 PM
We will not lose a coach to VT.

Political Hack
11-23-2015, 03:56 PM
I said I agree. My "however" was in reference to the original statement of VT only paying Beamer 2.5M. VT will pay. Maybe they'll pony up $6m/yr. Who knows? I simply said I am confident they will pay much more for their new coach, assuming it's a name they absolutely want. Rumors were that they would pay RRod $4-5M, but the big money players up there don't like him. They are still leaning in Foster's direction.

For the last time: I do NOT feel Mullen will take that job. I DO think they will pay MUCH more than the $2.5 they're paying Beamer, for someone OTHER than Mullen.

So you're saying you think he goes, right?

Lol. I know you don't think he goes. I just want people to know he's making over $4 now. It'll be hard to outpay us and will likely take an SEC school, Texas, etc... to do it. Our big boys have deep pockets too and the people pulling the strings now will not accept losing ever again.

Jack Lambert
11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
So you're saying you think he goes, right?

Lol. I know you don't think he goes. I just want people to know he's making over $4 now. It'll be hard to outpay us and will likely take an SEC school, Texas, etc... to do it. Our big boys have deep pockets too and the people pulling the strings now will not accept losing ever again.

I heard Stricklin several years ago say and it's not second hand but him saying it that Dan will not leave for money.

BulldogBear
11-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Just Egg Bowl week distraction and part B recruiting perception. They make up a story about Mullen leaving so Freeze can try to use it. This is to be expected. Just beat them and their class full of Masolessiahs and later Mullen counter their BS on the couch with that.

FISHDAWG
11-23-2015, 04:05 PM

wow ... that's a hell of a lot of moon shine

ScreenCaptureThis
11-23-2015, 04:06 PM
wow ... that's a hell of a lot of moon shine

Lol... A lot, and I mean A LOT of coal money up there.

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
It'll be hard to outpay us and will likely take an SEC school, Texas, etc... to do it. Our big boys have deep pockets too and the people pulling the strings now will not accept losing ever again.

For any feasible scenario, MSU will pay Mullen as much as anybody else will.

If Mullen leaves, it will be because he decides the place he is going is better for non-salary reasons. Whether it be location, better chance to win, better quality of life, whatever. But Mullen will not be in a position where another school is offering him an extra $1M more than state will pay a year and he feels like he has to go. If Texas offers him $6M, the only decision for the MSU AD will be whether we want to pay $6M for Mullen, not whether it will crimp our finances. Obviously there are boosters at other schools that could make it an issue if they just decided Mullen was the man and price is no issue, but as a practical matter, that just doesn't seem likely to happen without Mullen winning a national championship.

Now if a school like Texas offered him a staff budget that would allow him to hire a $1M per year offensive and defensive coordinator plus top salaries for the other assistants, I'm not sure if the same applies.

defiantdog
11-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Lol... A lot, and I mean A LOT of coal money up there.

Not so much anymore..... Coal production is being moved out of the country in places like Columbia and Japan..... Thanks Obama. A lot of the coal money got the hell out of there.

IMissJack
11-23-2015, 07:30 PM
VT interested in Dan....doubt Dan's interested in VT

Seems like a lateral to me.

PendingTransaction
11-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Dan would be a damn fool to leave MSU. He's earning top $. Win 8 a year and his seat stays comfortable. Others may pay him 5-6 mil, but they will kick his butt out after a few 8-win seasons.

deadheaddawg
11-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Going undefeated in the ACC will get you in the playoff. Go look at VT schedule and look at ours and tell me who has the easier road to going undefeated