PDA

View Full Version : OT: English Bulldog

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm looking for an English Bulldog, but not necessarily a puppy but not against it. Not looking to breed them or any of that just a family pet without the puppy training stuff. I'm in al but travel through MS periodically to Memphis. Anywhere along the way that anyone knows of as a place to look? I've tried searching but there's so much crap that comes up I don't know what's real or not. I spent 2 days talking to a lady about a rescue near Memphis then sent me an address in Maryland. Thought some of you may have a suggestion or know of some reputable folks. Not looking for a free dog just some insight if anyone has any.

shannondawg
11-22-2015, 06:21 PM
We have seen more n more Bulldogs on the show circuits so that means more breeders. I would go to their we site to find a reputable breeder. May pay a little more but less chance of getting a unhealthy dog

We are not as active now but have been showing n breeding bouviers n Westies for many years.

MafiaDawg
11-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Dog breeders are on the same level as thieves. Go get a dog at a rescue foundation. You won't regret it and the dog will appreciate you and love you forever.

blacklistedbully
11-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Hope you understand that Bulldogs are somewhat high-maintenance, if you want to keep them healthy. Though they are rugged, it is my understanding you need to constantly clean the folds in their skin to guard against infection. Can be a messy job, and you have to be prepared for a lot of spittle.

Bothrops
11-22-2015, 07:02 PM
They're expensive and very very destructive through the puppy stage. Great dogs but need owners that understand the breed.

Cabo32
11-22-2015, 07:07 PM
What blb said..very high maintenance. Many health risks due to so much inner breeding. I was close to buying one about two years ago. Luckily I decided against it. The dog I was thinking about buying ended up with a terrible food allergy. The owner of the dog spends upwards of $300 a month for certain dog food that only can be bought through the vet

Maroonbulldog
11-22-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm looking for an English Bulldog, but not necessarily a puppy but not against it. Not looking to breed them or any of that just a family pet without the puppy training stuff. I'm in al but travel through MS periodically to Memphis. Anywhere along the way that anyone knows of as a place to look? I've tried searching but there's so much crap that comes up I don't know what's real or not. I spent 2 days talking to a lady about a rescue near Memphis then sent me an address in Maryland. Thought some of you may have a suggestion or know of some reputable folks. Not looking for a free dog just some insight if anyone has any.

If you are willing to travel- these folks rescue bullies around the country and look for good homes for them.
http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/

civildawg
11-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Like others said, please look into a rescue. There are way too many backyard breeders just looking to make money.

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2015, 09:03 PM
We are definitely leaning toward a rescue but there aren't any near us. That's why I was looking around or along a regularly traveled route. Like the idea of knowing some of the allergy or HEALTH issues up front too. Had one several years ago that developed a brain tumor but not until close to 8 years old. Definitely know the work associated with them, but I love the temperament and energ keel once they get out of the puppy stage. Thanks fellas

ScoobaDawg
11-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Dog breeders are on the same level as thieves. Go get a dog at a rescue foundation. You won't regret it and the dog will appreciate you and love you forever.

I strongly agree with look for a rescue instead of paying 3k+, I got the deal of a lifetime with mine from a breeder due to her having a umbilical hernia so she wasn't going to be able to be sold for a normal price. She's from championship bloodlines but I had to agree to have her fixed which was just fine by me. DFW has a big bully rescue group but require you to live in State. I would check for Rescue groups in MS/AL/TN/LA... its a little different with each of those only being a few hours away possible vs here in Texas.
Best thing about Rescue is you get past the puppy stage and know any health issues up front..instead of a breeder you don't.

Hope you understand that Bulldogs are somewhat high-maintenance, if you want to keep them healthy. Though they are rugged, it is my understanding you need to constantly clean the folds in their skin to guard against infection. Can be a messy job, and you have to be prepared for a lot of spittle.

Attention to detail is important. Depending on how deep the folds are on their face and body... then you have the tail pocket. Have to watch the paws for hot spots in between, watch the ears. Biggest thing that helps is to stick to a good diet to limit skin problems. My Bella is now 13 months old and has been on Wellness Core Grain Free her whole life. Grain is a common problem with Bulldogs..and certain proteins can be also, Chicken base is by far the safest it seems.

They're expensive and very very destructive through the puppy stage. Great dogs but need owners that understand the breed.

My fake leather couch has a nice bite scratch right on a section of threads...where one day while I was at work she decided to attack it. Never has again. She tends to chew on the bookshelve.... Anti-chew spray didnt phase her at all so I gave up on that.. During there first year, they have to chew on something..and a bone is great but wont hold their attention especially if you leave them alone. She found my surround sound remote just the other day for the first time. Dont let the short legs fool you. that length from nose to bottom of the foot. they will get ahold of anything left on a coffee table they want.
Kong toys... cant stress it enough, pay the few dollars more and get the ones with ropes in them... Ive had to finally retire one 10 months later. Have several to rotate. Something they can play tug of war with, I have a rubber wheel shaped like a frisbee that is by far her favorite toy.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you end up with one or English Bulldog Forums
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/forum.php

I see a group listed for South Florida also that always out of state (but have to transport yourself via ground)
http://buddiesthrubullies.org/sample-page/faq/

One in Georgia
https://www.facebook.com/Englishbulldogrescueofga?_rdr=p

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2015, 10:25 PM
Ours was named Bella too ha. I found a rescue in Georgia and in New Orleans. Have been lookin at each and the one mentioned by Maroon that has a break down by state. I hadn't seen the one in Miami, wonder what shipping would be. I did contact the rescue in NO, but the one had an adoption pending. There are quite a few awesome dogs and a wide variety of info out there. The more we look I just keep coming back to these.

rbdog82
11-23-2015, 12:08 PM
We took our guy to have his allergies tested at MSU and it turns out he was allergic to 38/40 things, one of which is human dander. We have to give him weekly allergy shots because he's essentially allergic to me. Also, watch out for TPLO surgery ($2,500+). Fantastic dogs though. I know we will be looking for another one when we lose our guy. He just turned 6.

AlmostPositive
11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Mine was allergic to grass. Also had ear problems... died early of a heat stroke on 98 degree day.

What everybody is saying is right: great dogs but you need to know what you're getting into. They spoil you for other breeds, but I had good luck going with a bull mastiff as a compromise. Same character and temperament, much more "athletic." Either one should only be kept inside... they hate the heat and want to be part of the family.

MrKotter
11-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Where were you 4 months ago? We inherited one of these things and would have gladly passed her along to you. Now, she's been with us too long for me to move her on. At least, that is what I'm told

Statecoachingblows**
11-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Mine was allergic to grass. Also had ear problems... died early of a heat stroke on 98 degree day.

What everybody is saying is right: great dogs but you need to know what you're getting into. They spoil you for other breeds, but I had good luck going with a bull mastiff as a compromise. Same character and temperament, much more "athletic." Either one should only be kept inside... they hate the heat and want to be part of the family.

Interesting on the mastiff I have also looked into them a little. Size is a big concern for me though

shannondawg
11-23-2015, 12:37 PM
There are both, reputable breeders will go through a vetting process to see if you are responsible enough and have the facilities,, temperament to own one of their puppies.
My wife turned down more applicants than she accepted when she was actively breeding. She also had a guarantee if your weren't happy, she would refund purchase price and meet you half way to pick up dog/puppy. I told my friends it was easier to adopt a baby than it was to get one of her puppies. i made many a trip to the airport to put them on planes cause she was bawling.

They don't have kind words for the puppy mills and backyard breeders strictly in it for the money.

Thats why I said reputable breeders that usually belong to the clubs or association.

Statecoachingblows**
11-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Where were you 4 months ago? We inherited one of these things and would have gladly passed her along to you. Now, she's been with us too long for me to move her on. At least, that is what I'm told

Ha, I need better friends. Nobody tries to give me anything worth keeping.

DawgInMemphis
11-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Ours was named Bella too ha. I found a rescue in Georgia and in New Orleans. Have been lookin at each and the one mentioned by Maroon that has a break down by state. I hadn't seen the one in Miami, wonder what shipping would be. I did contact the rescue in NO, but the one had an adoption pending. There are quite a few awesome dogs and a wide variety of info out there. The more we look I just keep coming back to these.

My Bully is named Bella also.

I agree a strict diet is important for an English Bulldog. We've had great success with Acana's Pacifica. It's pricey, but cheaper than vet bills. They are wonderful dogs... she was around well before I had kids (and was probably pretty spoiled), but has adapted very well and is great with my 1 y.o. daughter.

dawggoneit
11-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Interesting on the mastiff I have also looked into them a little. Size is a big concern for me though
Have you looked into the English Bulldogge. Had one several years ago and it was by far the best dog I've ever owned. Little taller version of a English Bulldog but with far less health problems.

bulldawg28
11-23-2015, 02:17 PM
If your looking for a more healthy bulldog I would go with the Old English bulldog. They look similar to the English only healthier and more athletic.

bulldawg28
11-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Have you looked into the English Bulldogge. Had one several years ago and it was by far the best dog I've ever owned. Little taller version of a English Bulldog but with far less health problems.

Lol..great minds think alike. I have one now named Jackson. He's the best

AlmostPositive
11-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Well, having owned both I would say if you like one you would like the other. Bull mastiffs are big dogs -- females 100 lbs or so, males a little more -- but they don't really act like it.. they don't need a lot of room to exercise. Fewer health issues than pure English bulldogs. They are inside dogs for this climate, but even more so because they want to be with the family. They are gentle with people and even strangers unless a threat is communicated though the owner, in which case they can take out a pack of pit bulls.

In a nutshell.... Bull mastiffs: not much shedding, low exercise requirements, very loyal, very low aggression absent a threat. Very strong and fast. love to play or just be close to you.

Statecoachingblows**
11-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Well, having owned both I would say if you like one you would like the other. Bull mastiffs are big dogs -- females 100 lbs or so, males a little more -- but they don't really act like it.. they don't need a lot of room to exercise. Fewer health issues than pure English bulldogs. They are inside dogs for this climate, but even more so because they want to be with the family. They are gentle with people and even strangers unless a threat is communicated though the owner, in which case they can take out a pack of pit bulls.

In a nutshell.... Bull mastiffs: not much shedding, low exercise requirements, very loyal, very low aggression absent a threat. Very strong and fast. love to play or just be close to you.

Sounds like this is going to be a tougher choice than I thought. I'm definitely going to have to look at them further. Ive got to make a decision before my wife picks something out without my input. I'll go from a "manly dog" to something that fits in shoebox before I know it.

AlmostPositive
11-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Sounds like this is going to be a tougher choice than I thought. I'm definitely going to have to look at them further. Ive got to make a decision before my wife picks something out without my input. I'll go from a "manly dog" to something that fits in shoebox before I know it.

A bull mastiff is a manly dog without looking like one. When my female was a year old she was attacked in a park by a larger older dog that the idiot owners let off the leash. At first she though the other dog wanted to play -- she had no idea about fighting or aggression. She figured it out on the third charge. The other dog's owners carried him off gushing blood... I don't even know if they got him to the vet in time.

A motivated bull mastiff could eat a pit bull like an after dinner mint. The thing is, they are almost never motivated. I found mine nuzzling a day old squirrel in the front yard once. They're openly emotional dogs. They will respond to everything you do.

Anyway, both good choices, both $1000 plus upfront investments, with a good bit more expense later.

Statecoachingblows**
11-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Had been looking to avoid the puppy stage out of sheer lack of desire to do the puppy stuff. Don't mind taking care of the dog in any way, just not the training and al that. Main thing for a mastiff would be getting one young enough to grow up with my daughter. I would be nervous about one that large at a year or so old and it not knowing my child or simply playing to rough. The bulldog situation presents a similar issue but the size sifference is one that I'm not quite as concerned with I guess.

AlmostPositive
11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
There is no safer dog with children than a bull mastiff. It is a breed standard for them to consider themselves part of the family... they will love your daughter almost as much as you do. They don't snap, they're not nervous...

The only exception would be a dog that was badly abused earlier in life..

jb1020
11-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I've had my English since 2003. Bought him as a puppy. Been a fantastic dog. Had minor skin issues along the way, but figured out it was his diet. I tried everything then ended up with grain free dog food. His coat has been great since.

I really wouldn't really consider mine high maintenance. You can tell the past couple of years it gets harder for him to walk, but no hip issues ever sent us to the vet. We never had any breathing issues either...we've been lucky.

Unfortunately his days are seriously numbered. Going to be a sad day in our house very soon.

I'd say if you want an English Bulldog...get one. We've had nothing but good experiences for the past 12 years.