PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks

Fred Garvin
11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Given Dak's evolution and his performance last night, how much credit does Dan get for it and what impact does that have on Mississippi State attracting 4/5 star quarterback in the future?

Sacrifice
11-22-2015, 01:11 PM
I don't know about recruiting but what he's done with Dak is nothing short of amazing. Has Dan ever coached a QB that has thrown for 500 yards in a game? Just curious.

Taog Redloh
11-22-2015, 02:08 PM
100%.

I know this won't be popular, but Prescott, for all his greatness, isn't an 'elite' talent. He's a good player playing in a system that takes advantage of his strengths (outside of earlier this year).

I can't imagine what Mullen could do with a true 4 or 5 star talent. Well, yes I can, Tebow, who was damn near unstoppable.

Pollodawg
11-22-2015, 02:10 PM
100%.

I know this won't be popular, but Prescott, for all his greatness, isn't an 'elite' talent. He's a good player playing in a system that takes advantage of his strengths (outside of earlier this year).

I can't imagine what Mullen could do with a true 4 or 5 star talent. Well, yes I can, Tebow, who was damn near unstoppable.

Dak is better than Tebow was, at least throwing the ball.

tcdog70
11-22-2015, 04:52 PM
What he has done with Dak is great but his best job is what he did with Relf--the Rebel Killer

Taog Redloh
11-22-2015, 05:18 PM
What he has done with Dak is great but his best job is what he did with Relf--the Rebel Killer
While we are comparing, we also need to take a look at the WR talent that we have right now - easily the best in my lifetime. Relf had nowhere close to that.

Give Dak credit, yes......but damn, those WRs make it a lot easier for him.

JohnnyQuid
11-22-2015, 05:22 PM
dan is incredible at developing qb talent. be should get a ton of credit, and should also be noted this isn't an easy task. but he plays to the QBs strengths and doesn't force them into roles that dont suit them

also as someone said, our wr play has been stellar. bear ross and brown have been as steady as they come. ross is just better and better every game.

bulldawg28
11-22-2015, 05:36 PM
While we are comparing, we also need to take a look at the WR talent that we have right now - easily the best in my lifetime. Relf had nowhere close to that.

Give Dak credit, yes......but damn, those WRs make it a lot easier for him.

We've had playmakers at WR before they just were not used properly. Dan is utilizing the talent

sleepy dawg
11-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Dan is arguably the best QB coach in the country. If there is another who has done what he does with QBs over their career, at so many locations, then I can't think him.

IMissJack
11-22-2015, 06:30 PM
In my opinion this is what makes Dan the best coach we have ever had. We have had better Defenses at MSU before Dan got here. We have had better running backs, and some good receivers. We certainly have had better kickers. The one thing that usually held MSU back in a lot of those average teams was a good QB. We have had a good teacher of QBs in Dan, what other coach wood have made Relf look so good? As long as you have an above average QB, you can win. That is why Dan has made us better since he got here.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-23-2015, 01:49 AM
Where does Brian Johnson, our current QB Coach, fall in this discussion? I would think that some credit would have to be given to Johnson. Just wondering the boards thoughts.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-23-2015, 01:51 AM
Where does Brian Johnson, our current QB Coach, fall in this discussion? I would think that some credit would have to be given to Johnson for Dak's improvement from last season to this season. Just wondering the boards thoughts.

PMDawg
11-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Dan is arguably the best QB coach in the country. If there is another who has done what he does with QBs over their career, at so many locations, then I can't think him.

Maybe Art Briles.

BrunswickDawg
11-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Don't forget Dan's other miracle at QB - winning 5 games with TYSON LEE as his QB. Guy was all heart and no height, and we were 1 play from him taking us to a bowl game.
Earlier poster was right about us having some great WR before, however we have never been this deep. We all thought Joe Morrow was the Bumphis 2.0 - and he rarely sees the field. I don't think it is a lack of talent, but just how deep and talented we are at the position.

I seen it dawg
11-23-2015, 08:25 AM
100%.

Tebow? Dak skill set as a QB are light years past Tebow. Yes Tebow was phenomenal and a winner but don't mistake his shear will to carry his team to talent. Guy couldn't throw it in the ocean.

sleepy dawg
11-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Where does Brian Johnson, our current QB Coach, fall in this discussion? I would think that some credit would have to be given to Johnson for Dak's improvement from last season to this season. Just wondering the boards thoughts.

You're right, Johnson does deserve credit too. How much belongs to each, I don't know.