PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the game...

CadaverDawg
11-22-2015, 12:48 AM
First of all....WOOOOOOOOO! Damn, we needed that so bad! It's been a rough week in MSU sports, but I think we can all agree it was worth it for the feeling tonight gave us.

1) Dan Mullen called a hell of a game tonight. He was very creative, and did a great job of stretching the field and mixing in the run at times. I could pick out a few head scratchers, but I'd be nitpicking...Damn good job calling plays tonight, Dan.

2) While I'm giving Dan props...How about the job he did getting our guys back up after a tough loss and emotional week last week. And not only that, but to get them back up again after the 3rd quarter meltdown...just a great job. He showed me a lot tonight. So proud of Mullen.

3) Special teams had a shitastic night until the very end....when you Totally Redeemed Yourself. I just can't talk about the missed PAT, fumbled kickoff, running into kicker, etc, when we had a blocked kick like that. What a play by Benny B.

4) Defense was atrocious. We did a good job of stopping the run though. I don't know the answer to the pass D. It was plain awful. It seemed like Tolan_o Clevelan_ and Zach Jackson were defending every big play in the passing game. Those guys are a huge liability...but maybe it's something about Arkansas, Bc they've torched every D lately. Screw it, we won, just get better.

5) Dak. Freaking Dak Prescott. What do you say? 500+ yds passing, 7 total TD's...he willed us to victory again. Just incredible.

6) Our receivers played outstanding outside of a drop by Malik and the stone hands Bear play for the INT. But an otherwise incredible night. What a catch by Ross, and a hell of a job catching the ball out of the backfield again by Holloway.

7) I just have to say again how proud I am of our guys. They could have quit after Keith died...they could have quit after Bama crushed us...they could have quit when we blew a 31-14 lead tonight...they could have quit when Ark took a 50-44 lead late...they could have quit when Ark had a chip shot to win it....But they never did. They showed heart, pride, and a pair of cajones that I wasn't sure they possessed. Way to go guys...you older guys deserved it, and you younger guys grew up a lot and got a taste of something awesome tonight. Bravo for fighting through adversity and getting a huge road W.

8) Now go take your damn trophy back next week. Let's smoke some Bear ass! GTHOM

Hail Damn State

lastmajordog
11-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Damn you are good CD......Well Done!

BeardoMSU
11-22-2015, 01:20 AM
This is why you are my friend.

http://www.sharegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tumblr_inline_mg17fuLBlg1rs.gif

IMissJack
11-22-2015, 01:25 AM
I see what you did there "no D in Cleveland", good one.

State82
11-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Freaking outstanding CD.

CadaverDawg
11-22-2015, 01:28 AM
This is why you are my friend.

http://www.sharegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tumblr_inline_mg17fuLBlg1rs.gif

https://media4.giphy.com/media/qQh0DBncuFJwQ/200_s.gif

CadaverDawg
11-22-2015, 01:32 AM
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/bbomber4/jon-gruden-fist-pound-fail.gif

RougeDawg
11-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Great write up.

The main and recurring question I have is "where is this f*cking play calling in the big games"? We need to call every single game like this no mates who we play. Open it up. Don't suck it up and play scared. So frustrating to watch our team go as the offensive play calling gas pedal goes.

SDDawg
11-22-2015, 01:44 AM
I see what you did there "no D in Cleveland", good one.

Outstanding!

Dawg61
11-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Awesome win but it's probably not a good idea to blitz with your safety when he's 15 yards behind the LOS when the ball gets snapped. Especially when your secondary can't cover a foot if it was a sock. Then to do it over and over again is just mind blowing. Diaz & Townsend can look for another job. Those two coached the shittiest performance by a MSU secondary since JaMarcus Russell hung 35 on us in the first quarter.

BeardoMSU
11-22-2015, 01:55 AM
Awesome win but it's probably not a good idea to blitz with your safety when he's 15 yards behind the LOS when the ball gets snapped. Especially when your secondary can't cover a foot if it was a sock. Then to do it over and over again is just mind blowing. Diaz & Townsend can look for another job. Those two coached the shittiest performance by a MSU secondary since JaMarcus Russell hung 35 on us in the first quarter.

Well, our offense didn't do them any favors by spotting them 21 in the 3rd quarter.

Dawg61
11-22-2015, 02:06 AM
Well, our offense didn't do them any favors by spotting them 21 in the 3rd quarter.

True but we are allowed to create turnovers too. Chris Jones and AJ were living in Arkansas's backfield and the secondary still put up that performance. Think about that for a bit.

Todd4State
11-22-2015, 02:14 AM
We only allowed 8 points in the fourth quarter incredibly.

LC Dawg
11-22-2015, 02:35 AM
First of all....WOOOOOOOOO! Damn, we needed that so bad! It's been a rough week in MSU sports, but I think we can all agree it was worth it for the feeling tonight gave us.

1) Dan Mullen called a hell of a game tonight. He was very creative, and did a great job of stretching the field and mixing in the run at times. I could pick out a few head scratchers, but I'd be nitpicking...Damn good job calling plays tonight, Dan.

2) While I'm giving Dan props...How about the job he did getting our guys back up after a tough loss and emotional week last week. And not only that, but to get them back up again after the 3rd quarter meltdown...just a great job. He showed me a lot tonight. So proud of Mullen.

3) Special teams had a shitastic night until the very end....when you Totally Redeemed Yourself. I just can't talk about the missed PAT, fumbled kickoff, running into kicker, etc, when we had a blocked kick like that. What a play by Benny B.

4) Defense was atrocious. We did a good job of stopping the run though. I don't know the answer to the pass D. It was plain awful. It seemed like Tolan_o Clevelan_ and Zach Jackson were defending every big play in the passing game. Those guys are a huge liability...but maybe it's something about Arkansas, Bc they've torched every D lately. Screw it, we won, just get better.

5) Dak. Freaking Dak Prescott. What do you say? 500+ yds passing, 7 total TD's...he willed us to victory again. Just incredible.

6) Our receivers played outstanding outside of a drop by Malik and the stone hands Bear play for the INT. But an otherwise incredible night. What a catch by Ross, and a hell of a job catching the ball out of the backfield again by Holloway.

7) I just have to say again how proud I am of our guys. They could have quit after Keith died...they could have quit after Bama crushed us...they could have quit when we blew a 31-14 lead tonight...they could have quit when Ark took a 50-44 lead late...they could have quit when Ark had a chip shot to win it....But they never did. They showed heart, pride, and a pair of cajones that I wasn't sure they possessed. Way to go guys...you older guys deserved it, and you younger guys grew up a lot and got a taste of something awesome tonight. Bravo for fighting through adversity and getting a huge road W.

8) Now go take your damn trophy back next week. Let's smoke some Bear ass! GTHOM

Hail Damn State

I usually wait until Monday to post because there are so many emotions right after the game but I appreciate you focusing mostly on the positives. There are obviously areas we have to improve upon but we just beat a hot team at their place to improve to 8-3 in a year in which a lot of people thought 6 wins would be good. **** all of them and most of all **** Ole Miss.

SDDawg
11-22-2015, 02:44 AM
Me tonight: https://vine.co/v/OAUFJq0PL0B

It_Could_Happen
11-22-2015, 02:54 AM
Great all around win. Most fun state game I've watched in a long time. Being from Arkansas I love the shit talking I get before the game and then the F**K you's I get on Twitter after the game after beating their ass. That's 4 in a row against the Pigs and 2 in a row in Arkansas. Our guys will be juiced up for next week and I can't wait.

Hail State

msstate7
11-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Gotta figure we'll see less Zach Jackson this week vs om... Most likely an extra safety. I will say this about Zach though... He made a few plays last night. His coverage on 4th was absolutely huge and he had a great run stopping play vs Collins. He finished with 7 tackles.

grinnindawg
11-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Part of the problem on pass D was the officiating crew.

They are one of the SEC crews that only calls holding on the OL when they tackle.
They call it the same both ways, they just don't call it.

Once the O lineman figure that out, pressure becomes pretty much non-existent.

Bucky Dog
11-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Did you guys see the locker room after the game? I don't know about you guys but I can see Mullen loves this place and puts his heart into it, and his players respect and play hard for him. It doesn't get any better than that at MSU!

I also agree we probably will, or should, see a little more JT Gray next Saturday.

Dawgface
11-22-2015, 08:46 AM
I have a question. Got called a way for a brief period last night to check on an older neighbor. I saw the fumbled 2nd half opening kick. How did the other 2 turnovers occur in the 3rd qtr?

msstate7
11-22-2015, 08:50 AM
I have a question. Got called a way for a brief period last night to check on an older neighbor. I saw the fumbled 2nd half opening kick. How did the other 2 turnovers occur in the 3rd qtr?
Bear didn't catch ball and it bounced to ark db for int. Dak fumbled

Dawgface
11-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Bear didn't catch ball and it bounced to ark db for int. Dak fumbled

Thanks.

tupelopix
11-22-2015, 08:55 AM
I know it's part of the game but I can't help but think how different our secondary would look without injuries, particularly to Will Redmond. I think he would be making a huge difference for us right now.

AlmostPositive
11-22-2015, 09:01 AM

Dak was pressured and had the ball knocked out of his hand just before passing, and Bear missed a perfectly thrown pass and tipped it to obe of their guys

CadaverDawg
11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
I know it's part of the game but I can't help but think how different our secondary would look without injuries, particularly to Will Redmond. I think he would be making a huge difference for us right now.

Yea, I think about that a lot too. Hate it for our secondary and for Will. We could use him big time right now. I bet it kills him to watch his boys get lit up from the sideline and not be able to help.

HSVDawg
11-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Part of the problem on pass D was the officiating crew.

They are one of the SEC crews that only calls holding on the OL when they tackle.
They call it the same both ways, they just don't call it.

Once the O lineman figure that out, pressure becomes pretty much non-existent.

Totally agree on this. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same crew that called the OM-Ark game. Usually when both teams go over 50, it isn't just pure coincidence that both defenses suck.

In fact, I only remember 5 flags being thrown all night on any plays. The late hit on Ross out of bounds, the bad call on fair catch interference when our guy got blocked into the returner, the tick tack PI on Cleveland, and two kick offs out of bounds. Those refs mostly let them play, for better or worse.

JohnnyQuid
11-22-2015, 12:24 PM
those type of games are fun as hell when you win them. I had to rewatch the 2nd half this morning to fill in the blanks. 3rd quarter drove me to drink heavily.

dak is amazing. Fred ross has become one hell of a receiver. have we covered the TE yet? I don't even care. great win

eta: almost forgot. Chris Jones is a man possessed right now

basedog
11-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Very good post Clint, I'd give u +1.