PDA

View Full Version : LSU fans want Dan to replace miles

civildawg
11-22-2015, 12:11 AM
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu-score-board/if-a-teams-going-to-make-a-run-at-mullen-its-going-to-be-after-this-season/60308736/

Pretty interesting

msstate7
11-22-2015, 12:11 AM
Hope they don't offer

Dawg61
11-22-2015, 12:34 AM
Lol what they gonna tack on Dan's buyout to Les's now? Get ****ing real. LSU isn't about to spend $25 mill to get a coach that's 1-6 vs them. That's the dumbest shit ever.

AlSwearengen
11-22-2015, 12:37 AM
I can't see Meghan agreeing to Baton Rouge. Athens? Sure.

sleepy dawg
11-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Lol what they gonna tack on Dan's buyout to Les's now? Get ****ing real. LSU isn't about to spend $25 mill to get a coach that's 1-6 vs them. That's the dumbest shit ever.

You're right, there's no chance. It'd just cost too damn much. But one LSU fan said this:

"This would be a pretty good hire.

People have too unrealistic expectations about this process. There are only 3-4 truly elite PROVEN coaches. Guys like Mullen and Fuente who make the best of a previously bad school are pretty good choices if you can't get a Saban, Urban, Jimbo type guy. Those guys aren't available. You have to get an up-and-comer.

He has turned a bad Moo St program into a pretty good team. They aren't even the top program in their state and he still pulls pretty good talent there. Imagine his coaching ability with OUR talent?"

In particular, the bolded text I agree with 100%. Mullen is not a proven elite coach. That is clear, but there are only a few who are. The next group down is where Mullen is to me. Can Mullen win a championship here? Maybe... But who can win a championship here? Saban?.. Maybe... Meyer? Maybe... If Mullen can't get us there, there are very, very few who could.

HSVDawg
11-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Who is the idiot that said "they aren't even the best program in their own state"? Does he know which team has finished higher in the standings between the two MS schools the last 5 years in a row and who has won 3 of 5 head to head meetings over the other during that same time period?

RougeDawg
11-22-2015, 01:32 AM
Who is the idiot that said "they aren't even the best program in their own state"? Does he know which team has finished higher in the standings between the two MS schools the last 5 years in a row and who has won 3 of 5 head to head meetings over the other during that same time period?

To be fair, most of those clowns couldn't tell you how to get to New Orleans from Kenner. Let's not expect too much from them.

Bothrops
11-22-2015, 01:34 AM
LSU isn't offering Dan and if they did, they'd have to start upwards of 5 million.

Johnson85
11-22-2015, 04:48 AM
LSU isn't offering Dan and if they did, they'd have to start upwards of 5 million.

If they are going to fire Miles and realistically expect to upgrade, they are going to pay $5M for somebody.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2015, 08:45 AM
They are showing respect for their "real rival."

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2015, 08:53 AM
quote:
No I don't think he bests that at LSU.

Bull shite #1

Stupid. He won 10 games last year in the SEC West with a ton of 2 and 3 star recruits. With LSU's talent he'd do much better.

quote:
Lets say he does come here next year you think Fournette is a Heisman candidate in his offense? A pass happy offense where he spreads the ball?

Yes I damn sure do think Fournette will be. How easily you forget last year

Dak Prescott - 244/396 (61.6) 3446 yards (8.7 ypa) 27 TDs 11 ints

Josh Robinson - 190 carries 1203 yards 6.33 ypc 11 TDs, 28 receptions 370 yards 1 TD

As a team they passed for 3649 yards on 423 passes at 8.6 ypa completing 61.7% of passes with 31 TDs to 12 ints

They ran for 3030 yards at 5.24 ypc with 29 TDs.

If you project LSU's offensive stats right now over 13 games you get

302.9 passes (55%), 2367.3 yards (7.8 ypa) 15.6 TDs to 5.2 ints

544.7 carries 3199.3 yards (5.87 ypa) 35.1 TDs

So Mullen is improving greatly in the same division as Miles with no name players while our offense is loaded and looks like rejected happy meal wind up toys.

Their offense was nothing but 2 and 3 star players except for a guy here and there.
24th WR, 110th WR (only ranked on 1 service), 117th WR, 176th WR, 179th WR

That's the high school WR ranks of their top 5 WRs last year. Prescott was ranked 20th...for dual threats! He was the 639th ranked recruit and was 300+ spots better than all but one of his top 5 WRs.

Josh Robinson was the 56th ranked RB (828th recruit overall)

Check out guys like Vick Ballard and Ladarius Perkins. Perkins was the 56th ranked RB and 613th ranked recruit in his class. Ballard was a 3 star JUCO recruit.

Ballard 1189 yards (6.13 ypc) 10 TDs, 20 rec 187 yards 1 TD
Perkins 1024 yards (5.00 ypc) 8 TDs, 19 rec 160 yards 2 TDs

Add in Anthony Dixon's senior year (1391 yards 5.41 ypc 12 TDs, 18 rec 123 yards), and you have four different RBs in his 6 years there, with a 1000 yards rushing. NONE of them are anywhere close to Fournette. He lost all but one OL starter this year and has had to rely on passing exclusively.

He does WAY more with WAY less than Les.

quote:
Sure the offense may score more points but the defense will give up a lot

Bull shite #2.

They lost WAY more off their defense than LSU did and lost their defensive coordinator as well, but prior to the game against Arky, they were 19th in the country giving up 18.6 ppg. Even with this game added in, they only give up 21.45 which would be 30th right now without adding in other teams' games yet. Last year that would have been good enough for 22nd in the country. As a matter of fact, they are giving up just a tiny bit less than they did last year and they lost their entire defense and DC. That's with way less talent than we possess.

quote:
With Prescott playing the way he was last year they should have been in SEC champ game.

3 strikes you're out Bull shite.

What they did last year was monumental in that program. They lost to #4 Bama by 5 on the road. They lost to #17 Ole Miss on the road, and they lost to #8 GT in the Orange Bowl. That's a team with the least talent in the SEC West winning 10 games and going to a big bowl game. Mullen took that program from crap to a decent squad. If they win against Ole Miss, with the bowl game they have a chance for back to back 10 win seasons. AT FREAKING STARKVEGAS!!!! Do you not understand how huge that is? Are you stupid?

Mullen is taking Georgia (Smith, Cleveland) Bama (Wilson, Coman, Brown, ), Louisiana (Prescott , Robinson, Williams, Brown, Day), Florida (Holloway), Texas (Ross), Tennessee (Redmond), scraps and winning 8-10 games.

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Thought some of the numbers on RBs were interesting. And equally informative that someone on da bayou could could fight through their dial up connection long enough to find those stats

IMissJack
11-22-2015, 08:56 AM
To be fair, most of those clowns couldn't tell you how to get to New Orleans from Kenner. Let's not expect too much from them.

It's because NMU kicks our butt on winning the media perception. However last time I saw a breakdown we were considered to have the most fans in MS.

Schultzy
11-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Jumbo Fisher would bolt FSU for LSU in two seconds.

Dawgface
11-22-2015, 09:03 AM
With all the coaching vacancies this year, you would have to think someone will send out a feeler to Mullen. If C34 is right in Mullen doing the same, the stars could be aligned for Mullen to have an option to leave. We've all had our head scratching moments with Mullen, but I sure don't want him to go. The next 3-4 weeks will tell the tale.

IMissJack
11-22-2015, 09:08 AM
With all the coaching vacancies this year, you would have to think someone will send out a feeler to Mullen. If C34 is right in Mullen doing the same, the stars could be aligned for Mullen to have an option to leave. We've all had our head scratching moments with Mullen, but I sure don't want him to go. The next 3-4 weeks will tell the tale.

It's my fear that he will want to leave on a high note with Dak this year. He may think he has plateaued here.

Bucky Dog
11-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Mullen will NOT go to LSU and I don't think they do anything other than the feeler.

I was thinking last night while watching some late games who I would want if I were an LSU fan. David Shaw at Stanford. No one ever mentions him but if you look at his offense, it is built to come in and take the talent already at LSU and do very well. He has good defenses and is a smart, well respected winning coach. Not sure what he makes or if he is interested , but I would surely speak to him and find out if I were LSU

basedog
11-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Jumbo Fisher would bolt FSU for LSU in two seconds.

Or Georgia.

sleepy dawg
11-22-2015, 10:18 AM
quote:
No I don't think he bests that at LSU.

Bull shite #1

Stupid. He won 10 games last year in the SEC West with a ton of 2 and 3 star recruits. With LSU's talent he'd do much better.

quote:
Lets say he does come here next year you think Fournette is a Heisman candidate in his offense? A pass happy offense where he spreads the ball?

Yes I damn sure do think Fournette will be. How easily you forget last year

Dak Prescott - 244/396 (61.6) 3446 yards (8.7 ypa) 27 TDs 11 ints

Josh Robinson - 190 carries 1203 yards 6.33 ypc 11 TDs, 28 receptions 370 yards 1 TD

As a team they passed for 3649 yards on 423 passes at 8.6 ypa completing 61.7% of passes with 31 TDs to 12 ints

They ran for 3030 yards at 5.24 ypc with 29 TDs.

If you project LSU's offensive stats right now over 13 games you get

302.9 passes (55%), 2367.3 yards (7.8 ypa) 15.6 TDs to 5.2 ints

544.7 carries 3199.3 yards (5.87 ypa) 35.1 TDs

So Mullen is improving greatly in the same division as Miles with no name players while our offense is loaded and looks like rejected happy meal wind up toys.

Their offense was nothing but 2 and 3 star players except for a guy here and there.
24th WR, 110th WR (only ranked on 1 service), 117th WR, 176th WR, 179th WR

That's the high school WR ranks of their top 5 WRs last year. Prescott was ranked 20th...for dual threats! He was the 639th ranked recruit and was 300+ spots better than all but one of his top 5 WRs.

Josh Robinson was the 56th ranked RB (828th recruit overall)

Check out guys like Vick Ballard and Ladarius Perkins. Perkins was the 56th ranked RB and 613th ranked recruit in his class. Ballard was a 3 star JUCO recruit.

Ballard 1189 yards (6.13 ypc) 10 TDs, 20 rec 187 yards 1 TD
Perkins 1024 yards (5.00 ypc) 8 TDs, 19 rec 160 yards 2 TDs

Add in Anthony Dixon's senior year (1391 yards 5.41 ypc 12 TDs, 18 rec 123 yards), and you have four different RBs in his 6 years there, with a 1000 yards rushing. NONE of them are anywhere close to Fournette. He lost all but one OL starter this year and has had to rely on passing exclusively.

He does WAY more with WAY less than Les.

quote:
Sure the offense may score more points but the defense will give up a lot

Bull shite #2.

They lost WAY more off their defense than LSU did and lost their defensive coordinator as well, but prior to the game against Arky, they were 19th in the country giving up 18.6 ppg. Even with this game added in, they only give up 21.45 which would be 30th right now without adding in other teams' games yet. Last year that would have been good enough for 22nd in the country. As a matter of fact, they are giving up just a tiny bit less than they did last year and they lost their entire defense and DC. That's with way less talent than we possess.

quote:
With Prescott playing the way he was last year they should have been in SEC champ game.

3 strikes you're out Bull shite.

What they did last year was monumental in that program. They lost to #4 Bama by 5 on the road. They lost to #17 Ole Miss on the road, and they lost to #8 GT in the Orange Bowl. That's a team with the least talent in the SEC West winning 10 games and going to a big bowl game. Mullen took that program from crap to a decent squad. If they win against Ole Miss, with the bowl game they have a chance for back to back 10 win seasons. AT FREAKING STARKVEGAS!!!! Do you not understand how huge that is? Are you stupid?

Mullen is taking Georgia (Smith, Cleveland) Bama (Wilson, Coman, Brown, ), Louisiana (Prescott , Robinson, Williams, Brown, Day), Florida (Holloway), Texas (Ross), Tennessee (Redmond), scraps and winning 8-10 games.

Good post man. +1

HSVDawg
11-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Did that dude refer to Ross and Redmond as "scraps"? Both of those guys were 4-star recruits and had offers from everyone. Shit, one of them got us put on probation.

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Posted by matsuflex online on 11/22/15 at 12:24 pm to graves1
Freeze looks like a big *****. Sounds like a doofus like Les, and I think it's been obvious to a lot of people recruiting has been shady since he's been at Ole Miss

ReplyOptionsTop

Lol that board is good reading.

JohnnyQuid
11-22-2015, 01:49 PM
I sincerely hope the vocal minority don't get their wish about dan moving on. "dan has peaked but lsu (last 15 yrs 2nd to bama in sec I would think and I don't mean wins/loses) wants him" wasnt.there some thing u couldn't poach fellow sec schools HC?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-23-2015, 02:47 AM
It's because NMU kicks our butt on winning the media perception. However last time I saw a breakdown we were considered to have the most fans in MS.

You're exactly right....The Black Bears do kick our butts when it comes to media perception. This is one of if not the biggest area we need to improve on as it relates to recruiting and the university in general. We've stepped up or marketing efforts within MS over the last few years but we need to work twice as hard with the national media now.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-23-2015, 02:55 AM
I sincerely hope the vocal minority don't get their wish about dan moving on. "dan has peaked but lsu (last 15 yrs 2nd to bama in sec I would think and I don't mean wins/loses) wants him" wasnt.there some thing u couldn't poach fellow sec schools HC?

That was supposedly the case when Slime was running the show. Now that he's out of the picture, it could be open season on HC's. With this being the 1st year under a new commissioner no one really knows.

dawgs
11-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Mullen will NOT go to LSU and I don't think they do anything other than the feeler.

I was thinking last night while watching some late games who I would want if I were an LSU fan. David Shaw at Stanford. No one ever mentions him but if you look at his offense, it is built to come in and take the talent already at LSU and do very well. He has good defenses and is a smart, well respected winning coach. Not sure what he makes or if he is interested , but I would surely speak to him and find out if I were LSU

David shaw has been talked about plenty. He's turned down some offers and is a Stanford grad, so at this point he seems highly unlikely to go anywhere and the speculation has moved on to other candidates more likely to change jobs.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-23-2015, 08:39 AM
The problem with this is the vocal minority aren't chipping in to pay that $15million dollar buyout he has or the $2nillion dollar assistant coaches salaries. Not to mention any buyout for a current coach plus the new staffs salary. I just don't see them swallowing $20million to get rid of Les. Now after next season his buyout goes down to almost nothing that's when I think a move could be made.

I seen it dawg
11-23-2015, 09:08 AM
The problem with this is the vocal minority aren't chipping in to pay that $15million dollar buyout he has or the $2nillion dollar assistant coaches salaries. Not to mention any buyout for a current coach plus the new staffs salary. I just don't see them swallowing $20million to get rid of Les. Now after next season his buyout goes down to almost nothing that's when I think a move could be made.

Which is why the "retirement" after 2016 is and has been discussed. We will see if the huge money guys, which are there, will want to have a new coach in place believing Fournette can carry them to a title.

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 09:28 AM

Not just a $15M buyout. It would be a $15M buyout when non-athletic budgets at the school are getting slashed (and I think real slashed, not the normal state gov't "slashed" of a 3% cut or the federal gov't "slashed" of slowing down the rate of growth), and then they would go commit $4.5M a year (surely even if Mullen was open to leaving it would take a decent raise to pull him) to a coach that is 1-6 against the coach they just paid $15M to get rid of. I think Mullen would actually be a slight upgrade over Miles, but the optics of that really would look terrible. Even thought it wouldn't really be university money footing the bill for that, surely the President and AD would be embarrassed to do that.

FISHDAWG
11-23-2015, 09:37 AM
why would LSU want a coach that hasn't beaten Bama in 7 years ..... seems to me that this deficiency is why they want Miles gone ... why would Dan want to go somewhere that he was on a short schedule for immediate results

Dawgology
11-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Not just a $15M buyout. It would be a $15M buyout when non-athletic budgets at the school are getting slashed (and I think real slashed, not the normal state gov't "slashed" of a 3% cut or the federal gov't "slashed" of slowing down the rate of growth), and then they would go commit $4.5M a year (surely even if Mullen was open to leaving it would take a decent raise to pull him) to a coach that is 1-6 against the coach they just paid $15M to get rid of. I think Mullen would actually be a slight upgrade over Miles, but the optics of that really would look terrible. Even thought it wouldn't really be university money footing the bill for that, surely the President and AD would be embarrassed to do that.

Most universities have a contract with head coaches in which if the coach leaves early (besides a mutually agreed upon retirement) then the coach actually owes the sports foundation money. The school that is hiring the coach usually covers this and it can be in the millions. So, on top of a 13 million buyout they would have to cover several million to get the new coach out of his contract and then pay said coach. You're looking at a cool $20 mil investment probably to get an active and desirable head coach in there.

blacklistedbully
11-23-2015, 10:08 AM
why would LSU want a coach that hasn't beaten Bama in 7 years ..... seems to me that this deficiency is why they want Miles gone ... why would Dan want to go somewhere that he was on a short schedule for immediate results

Because they think Les is the reason they haven't, and they think Mullen, with their players and resources would.

Coursesuper
11-23-2015, 10:16 AM

The first thing you need to understand is these folks are Bat Shat Crazy, second the TAF which operates outside of the normal university day to day stuff and the major players behind that organization don't give a rats ass what it looks like. They operate in a bubble, here in LA. They have no real rival, and they entire state is LSU this and LSU that and that leads to a special kind of crazy that comes along with a very different culture than the rest of the SEC or world for that matter. There is an arrogance that permeates everything because the are only held in check by themselves. This is very reminiscent of the late 70's and the fired Charlie McClendon. They were very good but swung up and down, not badly always winning but not enough for these folks and they fired him. They then went on to wander in the wilderness until Sabear go hired an turned it all around. I could very well see that happening again. They buyout is nothing to these folks, they can stretch out the Les buyout over eight to ten years, they will have to pay the assistants off which will be about another 2 mil. Then pay a coach around 5 mil a year going forward. They can handle that with no problem.

TrapGame
11-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Saban really spoiled those bastards.

BrunswickDawg
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Because they think Les is the reason they haven't, and they think Mullen, with their players and resources would.

So let me get this straight - a segment of MSU fans thinks Dan has plateau'd and isn't the coach to get us over the top. And both UGA and LSU fans think our "plateau" coach can outdo both of their "plateau" coaches - both of whom have won more??? I love college football fan logic.

BossDawg
11-23-2015, 10:32 AM

I hope they don't either. I don't want to see Dan leave, at all, but I think it's inevitable at some point. I've got a feeling he wants another job, too. Did 34 say something about Mullen putting out feelers? But I'm just super pessimistic when it comes to State football and I'm always expecting some hammer to drop, so I hope I'm wrong.

Further, I wouldn't be very confident in his replacement. I guess I should just become a Bama fan if I'm gonna let things worry me this much.

Coach34
11-23-2015, 11:01 AM
So let me get this straight - a segment of MSU fans thinks Dan has plateau'd and isn't the coach to get us over the top. And both UGA and LSU fans think our "plateau" coach can outdo both of their "plateau" coaches - both of whom have won more??? I love college football fan logic.

Well- you are leaving out the fact that Georgia and LSU have more resources and are at a different starting point than State is.

Coach34
11-23-2015, 11:02 AM
I hope they don't either. I don't want to see Dan leave, at all, but I think it's inevitable at some point. I've got a feeling he wants another job, too. Did 34 say something about Mullen putting out feelers? But I'm just super pessimistic when it comes to State football and I'm always expecting some hammer to drop, so I hope I'm wrong.

Further, I wouldn't be very confident in his replacement. I guess I should just become a Bama fan if I'm gonna let things worry me this much.

He's talking to somebody. I'm not saying he is leaving- but wont be surprised in the least if he does.

Pollodawg
11-23-2015, 11:10 AM
He's talking to somebody. I'm not saying he is leaving- but wont be surprised in the least if he does.

I kind of wonder if Dan doesn't feel like he's accomplished all he can here.

Johnson85
11-23-2015, 11:45 AM
The first thing you need to understand is these folks are Bat Shat Crazy, second the TAF which operates outside of the normal university day to day stuff and the major players behind that organization don't give a rats ass what it looks like. They operate in a bubble, here in LA. They have no real rival, and they entire state is LSU this and LSU that and that leads to a special kind of crazy that comes along with a very different culture than the rest of the SEC or world for that matter. There is an arrogance that permeates everything because the are only held in check by themselves. This is very reminiscent of the late 70's and the fired Charlie McClendon. They were very good but swung up and down, not badly always winning but not enough for these folks and they fired him. They then went on to wander in the wilderness until Sabear go hired an turned it all around. I could very well see that happening again. They buyout is nothing to these folks, they can stretch out the Les buyout over eight to ten years, they will have to pay the assistants off which will be about another 2 mil. Then pay a coach around 5 mil a year going forward. They can handle that with no problem.

The TAF operates outside of the university, but unless they have a really strange set up, Miles is still an employee of the university and it technically will be the AD and/or President that has to fire him and the president has to give a rats ass about what it looks like. As a practical matter, the TAF can probably doom a president and get him fired within a year or two at most, but the president will have an incentive to push back if Miles wants to stay (which I would say is questionable).

blacklistedbully
11-23-2015, 12:02 PM

You are overstating it. A segment of our fans, as well as a large percentage of media think Dan has plateaued at MSU. A segment of LSU fans and a large percentage of media think Dan would take them beyond what Miles has done. Those LSU fans and media types are probably right about LSU being better under Mullen than Miles. That is not at all difficult logic to grasp.

You are completely ignoring the inherent advantages each of those schools has over MSU. Personally, I don't think Mullen has plateaued, rather I think he has plenty of room to grow as a coach, and thus grow our program. He has certainly consistently made what many fans think are some bone-headed mistakes and hard-to-understand personnel decisions that have cost us a few games. But even those fans (of which I am one) recognize and appreciate the tremendous amount of good he has done our program, with the vast majority not wanting to lose him because we know what it was like BM (before Mullen).

Unlike some, I don't feel he will remain the same. I think we've seen signs of his very gradually adapting. He is still a very young coach, still in his first HC gig. If he continues to get the support he is getting, I think he will continue to grow and become a better coach, and in so doing, be able to achieve SECW championships at MSU. As well all know, an SECW championship also means you are an SEC champ favorite, and thus a NC contender.

BrunswickDawg
11-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Good points. I was really meaning to comment more on the expectations of LSU/UGA fans than anything else. Both of them have Bama envy something awful instead of enjoying the fact that they have been in a stretch of some of the best football that has been played in their histories. Les and Mark may have under achieved, but you can make that argument for every top program other than Bama since 2009.

Keep in mind - Saban 5 years @ LSU 48-16
Miles past 5 years 48-15 with 2 games to go

They came in to different situations, but they can't claim he didn't win as much as Saban. But Saban didn't start at scratch either, he was 8-4 that first year, and Dinardo did leave some talent.

shannondawg
11-23-2015, 03:48 PM
First thing I would do is fire the guy that offered the 15 mil payoff.

BulldogBear
11-23-2015, 04:08 PM
The LSU fans I work with must be in the 10% because they all looked at me like I had two heads when I asked them which of the 90/10 (according to Bo) they were. They believe getting rid of Miles would be the height of foolishness at this point. Young team, LF probably coming back, general success thru 11 years. Not one of them wants to get rid of Miles. Now if it's more mediocrity next year, then maybe.

Obiwandawgbroni
11-23-2015, 04:20 PM
I just really don't see this happening. Fisher has a 5 million plus job in the best recruiting grounds in america and his conference is fairly weak.