PDA

View Full Version : First coaches poll is out

mstate68
08-01-2013, 11:14 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/coaches-poll/?sf15615474=1

Thoughts?

Political Hack
08-01-2013, 11:18 AM
A&M, Stanford, Louisville, and a few others are too high. LSU is too low. No way in hell Louisville is better than LSU.

Bdog9090
08-01-2013, 11:19 AM
[deleted]

mstate68
08-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Louisville got way too much hype for beating an uninspired Florida team.

SignalToNoise
08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't think that's the current poll. That looks like the poll from right after the National Championship.

Try this link instead: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/22972014/alabama-opens-2013-as-no-1-in-the-usa-today-coaches-poll-top-25

Ok State No 14.

mstate68
08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah I'm a dumbass. Posted the wrong link. Fixed

msstate7
08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't think that's the current poll. That looks like the poll from right after the National Championship.

Good call. It's dated jan 8th

Political Hack
08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
it was the right link when first posted because Ohio St was in it at #2.

Either way, LSU is too low. A&M is too high. Louisville being that high is ridiculous.

mstate68
08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/coaches-poll/?sf15615474=1

hometowndawg
08-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Ridiculous. MSU should at least be top 25**

Preseason polls mean nothing

drunkernhelldawg
08-01-2013, 11:56 AM
I bet the final poll looks a lot different. Interesting that both Ole Miss and Vandy get a lot of votes. I really am skeptical even of the idea that Bama has the # 1 team again. I bet at least 1/3 of the teams in this poll get "upset" in week one or week 2.

Coach34
08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
we did get 3 votes

msstate7
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
we did get 3 votes

We'll get a whole lot more if we win the first game

ShotgunDawg
08-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Why isn't Ole Miss ranked? I thought they could win 10 games*

Raytoraid83
08-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Either way, LSU is too low. A&M is too high. Louisville being that high is ridiculous.

Louisville has the second best player in the country and isnt going to lose a game bc of there schedule. And if you're basing A&M is too high bc of Manziels offseason, lets see how he performs on the field first.

M.Fillmore
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I thought a recruiting National Championship guaranteed you to be in the Top 10 preseason.*

maroonmania
08-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Obvious oversight.

Jack Lambert
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I think the three best teams in the country will be from the SEC but none may not play in the NC game. OSU and some body else will be undefeated come the end of the season leaving the SEC out. I don't think no SEC teams goes undefeated. GA and Florida might but will lose to a one lose Alabama team in the SEC championship.

FISHDAWG
08-01-2013, 12:52 PM
welcome aboard the idiot train ... I got on two days ago and wondering when & where it stops

codeDawg
08-01-2013, 12:59 PM

We got our asses handed to us by #23 Northwestern to end the season last year. No way do we deserve to be ranked in the Top 25 right now.

These polls are based more on past than future performance. Every year it's the team that finishes strong that get the most recognition. We did not do that.

HancockCountyDog
08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
What am I missing about Oklahoma State? I mean, 14? I think Gundy is a good coach, but they went 8-5 last year too, and they are 14 and we are basically unranked? I just don't get it.

WHy is everyone thinking that they are going to be awesome?

hometowndawg
08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
We got our asses handed to us by #23 Northwestern to end the season last year. No way do we deserve to be ranked in the Top 25 right now.

These polls are based more on past than future performance. Every year it's the team that finishes strong that get the most recognition. We did not do that.

Easy killer. I was kidding. I might have used the sarcastriks wrong though...

SignalToNoise
08-01-2013, 01:27 PM
What am I missing about Oklahoma State? I mean, 14? I think Gundy is a good coach, but they went 8-5 last year too, and they are 14 and we are basically unranked? I just don't get it.

WHy is everyone thinking that they are going to be awesome?

Beats me. Must be another perception vs reality thing. I don't know anything about the individual players on the team; maybe the media and coaches see some great talent that just needs to put everything together.

They could end up being this year's version of 2012 MSU and it wouldn't surprise me.

RC3
08-01-2013, 01:58 PM
we did get 3 votes

i saw the list of this year's coaches. Hud was included, so maybe he is one of them. maybe urban meyer

ETA:
list of coaches
List of VotersThe USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 62 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The board for the 2013 season: David Bailiff, Rice; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Tim Beckman, Illinois; Bret Bielema, Arkansas; Bill Blankenship, Tulsa; Terry Bowden, Akron; Art Briles, Baylor; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Matt Campbell, Toledo; Rod Carey, Northern Illinois; Dave Christensen, Wyoming; Dave Clawson, Bowling Green; Larry Coker, Texas-San Antonio; David Cutcliffe, Duke; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State; Ron English, Eastern Michigan; Larry Fedora, North Carolina; Jimbo Fisher, Florida State; Kyle Flood, Rutgers; Dennis Franchione, Texas State; James Franklin, Vanderbilt; Al Golden, Miami (Fla.); Todd Graham, Arizona State; Jim Grobe, Wake Forest; Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State; Bryan Harsin, Arkansas State; Bobby Hauck, UNLV; Mark Helfrich, Oregon; Brady Hoke, Michigan; Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia; Doc Holliday, Marshall; Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette; Curtis Johnson, Tulane; Joey Jones, South Alabama; June Jones, Southern Methodist; Brian Kelly, Notre Dame; Jerry Kill, Minnesota; Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech; Mike Leach, Washington State; Rocky Long, San Diego State; Dan McCarney, North Texas; Bronco Mendenhall, Brigham Young; Urban Meyer, Ohio State; Les Miles, LSU; Ken Niumatalolo, Navy; George OLeary, Central Florida; Bo Pelini, Nebraska; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, Arizona; Nick Saban, Alabama; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Charlie Strong, Louisville; Dabo Swinney, Clemson; Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M; Don Treadwell, Miami (Ohio); Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati; Kyle Whittingham, Utah.

drunkernhelldawg
08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
i saw the list of this year's coaches. Hud was included, so maybe he is one of them. maybe urban meyer

ETA:
list of coaches
List of VotersThe USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 62 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The board for the 2013 season: David Bailiff, Rice; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Tim Beckman, Illinois; Bret Bielema, Arkansas; Bill Blankenship, Tulsa; Terry Bowden, Akron; Art Briles, Baylor; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Matt Campbell, Toledo; Rod Carey, Northern Illinois; Dave Christensen, Wyoming; Dave Clawson, Bowling Green; Larry Coker, Texas-San Antonio; David Cutcliffe, Duke; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State; Ron English, Eastern Michigan; Larry Fedora, North Carolina; Jimbo Fisher, Florida State; Kyle Flood, Rutgers; Dennis Franchione, Texas State; James Franklin, Vanderbilt; Al Golden, Miami (Fla.); Todd Graham, Arizona State; Jim Grobe, Wake Forest; Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State; Bryan Harsin, Arkansas State; Bobby Hauck, UNLV; Mark Helfrich, Oregon; Brady Hoke, Michigan; Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia; Doc Holliday, Marshall; Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette; Curtis Johnson, Tulane; Joey Jones, South Alabama; June Jones, Southern Methodist; Brian Kelly, Notre Dame; Jerry Kill, Minnesota; Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech; Mike Leach, Washington State; Rocky Long, San Diego State; Dan McCarney, North Texas; Bronco Mendenhall, Brigham Young; Urban Meyer, Ohio State; Les Miles, LSU; Ken Niumatalolo, Navy; George OLeary, Central Florida; Bo Pelini, Nebraska; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, Arizona; Nick Saban, Alabama; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Charlie Strong, Louisville; Dabo Swinney, Clemson; Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M; Don Treadwell, Miami (Ohio); Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati; Kyle Whittingham, Utah.

Obviously, these 62 coaches have more pressing tasks than voting for teams other than their own to be in the poll. I'd say an average of two minutes was put into this by these coaches with openning games coming right up. And I bet most of them resented the two-minute investment.

camsu
08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Standford is for real. Excellent OL and DL will win Pac12. Very pro oriented team and strong. Don't count them out and everyone wants someone other than the SEC.

RC3
08-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Obviously, these 62 coaches have more pressing tasks than voting for teams other than their own to be in the poll. I'd say an average of two minutes was put into this by these coaches with openning games coming right up. And I bet most of them resented the two-minute investment.

well its probably more likely that they dont even do it themselves. wasn't there something a few years ago where spurrier admitted he didnt do it, but one of his assistants did? that being the case, my guess would be urban meyer, mark hudspeth and steve spurrier

Saltydog
08-01-2013, 03:44 PM
a little synopsis I found while looking at the poll.....Their defense is young.....I think we can run it down their throats all day......

14. Oklahoma State (8-5) | Points: 726. | Previous ranking: not ranked.

Outlook: QB Clint Chelf, who started the final five games of the season last year and threw for 1,588 yards and 15 scores against six interceptions, goes in to camp as the presumed starter but could face challenges. In addition, electric RB Jeremy Smith is ready to take over following a season in which he averaged 5.3 yards a carry and scored eight times. The Cowboys also have a lot of talent at receiver, led by Josh Stewart, who had 1,210 yards last season. The question mark for coach Mike Gundy is the defense, which is young. Opens: Aug. 31 vs. Mississippi State in Houston (ABC, 3:30).

HancockCountyDog
08-01-2013, 03:53 PM
a little synopsis I found while looking at the poll.....Their defense is young.....I think we can run it down their throats all day......

14. Oklahoma State (8-5) | Points: 726. | Previous ranking: not ranked.

Outlook: QB Clint Chelf, who started the final five games of the season last year and threw for 1,588 yards and 15 scores against six interceptions, goes in to camp as the presumed starter but could face challenges. In addition, electric RB Jeremy Smith is ready to take over following a season in which he averaged 5.3 yards a carry and scored eight times. The Cowboys also have a lot of talent at receiver, led by Josh Stewart, who had 1,210 yards last season. The question mark for coach Mike Gundy is the defense, which is young. Opens: Aug. 31 vs. Mississippi State in Houston (ABC, 3:30).

A young defense against a seasoned offense? Yes Please.

The thread about our most talented team under Mullen got me pumped up too. I just don't see how we are underdogs to OSU. Did the finish last year really erase all the great things the team did in the beginning of the year?

August 31st, cant get here soon enough;

Political Hack
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Louisville has the second best player in the country and isnt going to lose a game bc of there schedule. And if you're basing A&M is too high bc of Manziels offseason, lets see how he performs on the field first.

A&M isn't going to be worse because of Manziel. Theyre going to be worse because they lost some absolute studs on both lines. I think they still win 8-9 games, but upsetting Bama and things like that just aren't going to be in the cards for them this year.

PMDawg
08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Oregon, Clemson, and Florida look too high to me.

Coach34
08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I think Florida is going to lose 3-4 games

Demdawgs
08-01-2013, 04:46 PM

First, check LSU's schedule. Second, check Louisville's.

Saltydog
08-01-2013, 05:24 PM
ball and wear them down and break their backs in the fourth.........I think we can run it on them and I'd like to see Robinson in there busting some heads........

Political Hack
08-01-2013, 06:58 PM
First, check LSU's schedule. Second, check Louisville's.

people who base their preseason rankings based on how many games you think a team will win are stupid. I know that's what they do, but it's a horrible practice and shouldn't be the case. LSU is a better football team than da Ville. Period. But because Louisville plays a cupcake schedule they get a higher ranking? It should be the exact opposite.

FlabLoser
08-01-2013, 07:39 PM
How in the world is LSU going to bounce back from losing 10 Jrs? How many did they lose to graduation & the NFL?