PDA

View Full Version : Newman at PG?

Dawg61
11-21-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm having my doubts here. He's a great talent but he sure looks like a SG to me not a PG in charge of understanding and running the offense. But any combination of Newman, Sword, Spoon 3 guard lineup is much better than Ready. It's year 4 and we STILL haven't found a PG after I warned everyone we were in bad trouble at PG losing Bost and kicking off Synthetic Smith. Why did we tell Tookie no thanks again? When is the PG position going to get fixed at MSU? Next year with Peters? Looks like Newman will still be around so are we going to play him again at PG and bench Peters? I realize it's very early but is playing Newman at PG really the best thing for him and MSU? This is the lineup I'd like to see for one game. Spoon seems to have the best basketball I.Q. and he handles the ball well that's why I'm trying him at PG. Houston is in the permanent doghouse though so it's wishful thinking.

PG Spoon
SG Newman
SG Sword
PF Houston
C Ware

I'm done with Fred & Daniels. They can't graduate fast enough.

One last thought. Where has our transition offense gone? We played FAST vs EWU and were getting shots off immediately the whole game. We scored 106 points. Last three games we have not tried to speed up the game instead we've settled into our dreadful half-court offense. Also called "four guys stand and one guy jacks an unbalanced 3" offense. We MUST MUST MUST score atleast HALF our points on transition before the defense sets up or we will lose. Every time.

smootness
11-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Newman will play PG this year, he will play it well, and he won't be back next year.

mstatefan91
11-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Newman played a good game yesterday. He is improving with every game but feel free to call up Howland and let him know what you think about him at PG. I'm sure he will take you seriously.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Newman will not be a point at the next level unless he improves drastically in his ball handling. He seems to struggle running while dribbling at times....that's kind of a big part of playing point guard in the NBA, ha

mstatefan91
11-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Newman will not be a point at the next level unless he improves drastically in his ball handling. He seems to struggle running while dribbling at times....that's kind of a big part of playing point guard in the NBA, ha

That I have seen, but I think it has more to do with rust and the increased speed of the game than anything else. Anybody know the trend on his turnovers over the past 3 games? I feel like there has been a steady decline. I only remember him turning it over once yesterday.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2015, 02:10 PM
That I have seen, but I think it has more to do with rust and the increased speed of the game than anything else. Anybody know the trend on his turnovers over the past 3 games? I feel like there has been a steady decline. I only remember him turning it over once yesterday.

Good point. I think many of us forget that he is going through an adjustment in game speed & competition

Goldendawg
11-21-2015, 03:24 PM
I know Newman is rusty and been hurt, but he was 6 of 17 from the floor yesterday. I think we will see what the NBA sees as he practices and plays more. We cannot play man to man and it stlll looks like the same guys from last year. I hope that we can get better fast.

mstatefan91
11-21-2015, 03:27 PM
I know Newman is rusty and been hurt, but he was 6 of 17 from the floor yesterday. I think we will see what the NBA sees as he practices and plays more. We cannot play man to man and it stlll looks like the same guys from last year. I hope that we can get better fast.

Our man to man is atrocious. That's a bad thing because it is what Howland prefers to run defensively. He's gonna have to get them to run the zone effectively even if he hates doing it.

Dawg61
11-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Our man to man is atrocious. That's a bad thing because it is what Howland prefers to run defensively. He's gonna have to get them to run the zone effectively even if he hates doing it.

These new foul rules are new to Howland too. He didn't coach last year when everyone else got a full year jump on him to adjust. I expect by SEC time Howland will have caught up. Our defense will improve moving forward.