PDA

View Full Version : Houston going all in on Herman

BrunswickDawg
11-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Houston upping their game - $3m per for Herman to stay.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14173074/houston-offer-head-coach-tom-herman-raise-3-million-annually

mic
11-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Won't matter ..

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-20-2015, 10:55 AM
3 mil? thats peanuts Houston. HE GONE

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2015, 11:22 AM
I agree that Herman is gone, but if Houston is now willing to pay $3 mil, it begs the question, where does this end?

The problem for Houston is that this doesn't help them keep Herman as much as it just raises the price that everyone else will have to pay to get the coach they are going to get anyway.

Where is the tipping point for college coaching salaries?

The problem that administrators & universities have is that college football coaches hold the programs hostage due to recruiting. Not only do you want to keep a good coach but you are additionally scared shitless that, if he leaves, your recruiting class will fall apart. In the NFL, owners don't face this hostage situation. Owners don't lose their 1st & 2nd round draft pick if they fire the coach, but in college football, you are at risk of this happening if you lose your coach due to poor performance or due to him holding the program hostage for money, if he performs well.

It's a slippery slope & one that college football administrators will have to address at some point. Whether that point is now or that point is when college coaching salaries are in the $10 mil range, at some point soon, administrators will have to address the leverage that all successful college coaches have over the athletic program, program, & university finances as a whole.

I'm not sure what the answer is to control this, but here are some thought:

1. A recruit draft?
2. early signing day in which players can't back out if there is a coaching change?
3. NCAA coaching salary cap?

Taog Redloh
11-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Always thought Houston should be in the Big 12. They have history, a good fanbase, and located in a huge city with lots of talent. Heisman trophy winner too. Wouldn't be surprised if Herman stayed.

gtowndawg
11-20-2015, 12:21 PM
early signing period is the only real and logical thing that can be done. I don't understand why that option is not already available. If a player is ready to sign, let him sign. Works for basketball, why not football?

Taog Redloh
11-20-2015, 01:31 PM
early signing period is the only real and logical thing that can be done. I don't understand why that option is not already available. If a player is ready to sign, let him sign. Works for basketball, why not football?
I imagine it has something to do with whoever makes the money off recrootin hoopla. It certainly has nothing to do with the well-being of the recroots themselves, and I'm certain coaches would not be against something that allowed them to work more efficiently.

preachermatt83
11-20-2015, 02:33 PM
He gone

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2015, 04:34 PM

I agree.

If there was an early signing period, athletic directors wouldn't feel like they have to overpay head coaches who are playing the game in an attempt to make more money.

IMissJack
11-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Always thought Houston should be in the Big 12. They have history, a good fanbase, and located in a huge city with lots of talent. Heisman trophy winner too. Wouldn't be surprised if Herman stayed.

Good fan base? They have 30,000 students and until the last few games, Herman was on he fans for not coming out to a brand new stadium. And, that is in a city of 4.5 million people. I work with U of H people that don't even know they have a new stadium.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
Good fan base? They have 30,000 students and until the last few games, Herman was on he fans for not coming out to a brand new stadium. And, that is in a city of 4.5 million people. I work with U of H people that don't even know they have a new stadium.

Yup,

Houston is a commuter school.