PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Recruiting

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-19-2015, 02:55 PM
If we planned to take a PF, then why don't we just go hard after Cameron Lard or are we waiting to see a transfer list in the spring?

Big4Dawg
11-19-2015, 02:57 PM
I think he staff cooled on Lard. Probably see if anyone emerges during the year or like you said, a transfer/JUCO.

jumbo
11-19-2015, 03:00 PM
probably won't take anyone unless there's a no brainier in the late signing period

Big4Dawg
11-19-2015, 04:54 PM
We still have another scholarship with Houston probably gone. (5 seniors + Malik + Houston)

Coach34
11-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Malik is not a definite one and done right now- he has a long way to go

defiantdog
11-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Malik is not a definite one and done right now- he has a long way to go

He played real soft..... I wouldn't expect a guy with his accolades to be that passive on the court

Coach34
11-19-2015, 07:31 PM
He played real soft..... I wouldn't expect a guy with his accolades to be that passive on the court

He hasnt ever played defense- long way to go there. Plus learning to be a PG is going to take awhile as well. Right now im expecting 2 years from him

defiantdog
11-19-2015, 07:44 PM
He hasnt ever played defense- long way to go there. Plus learning to be a PG is going to take awhile as well. Right now im expecting 2 years from him
But you can't teach aggression. He never went for the ball. He stood there and waited for it to come to him. I don't care if you foul, at least make an effort for the ball.

state66
11-19-2015, 08:21 PM
If malik stays we are overloaded at PG. carter, peters, newman, and ready...obviously some can play the 2 as well but i would rather be loaded in the post.

State82
11-19-2015, 08:27 PM
It may be time for Howland to step away from the recruiting trail and officially begin some real coaching.

djaymsu5
11-19-2015, 08:58 PM
The players we have now is not on Howland. Yes he is the coach and supposedly is suppose to take the blame but that's bs in my opinion. There is a reason these guys were rated low 3 star players and didn't have any other good offers other than what Ray did. They were coached terribly for 3 years you can't expect them to just catch on to what Howland is teaching in a few months. It's going to take Malik and Q'c class to really start to carry this team along with some of the elite talent next year. Once he can coach his own recruits we will see a huge jump in play cause all of the players will buy in. I honestly don't think these seniors have. They just are not very good and Howland knows it. I'm not saying he's given up on them but he knows they are a NIT team at best unless they find their mojo soon and get the ball rolling. They will beat some teams this year but they won't be consistent. I would be willing to bet by Howlands 3rd year we will be a very good team.

Irondawg
11-19-2015, 09:07 PM
This is why you don't see a lot of 1 and done guards compared to big guys. Talented big guys are really rare so their talent shows through and the NBA is eager to get them. Guards are a dime a dozen but most freshmen have never played a lot of defense and have not faced a lot of teams that playe good defense against them. So it's a huge adjustment when you just don't blow by people are have open looks consistently.

I'm going to give Newman about 2 weeks before I make up my mind on his ability to make the jump as I'm hoping he's just shaking off some rust from being sidelined for a month

confucius say
11-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Agreed. We need to temper expectations, which we don't always do well as a fan base.