PDA

View Full Version : new college basketball time out rule.

DudyDawg
11-19-2015, 12:28 PM
What are the opinions on the new rule. It says that a coach can't call time outs during live play, a player has to. I don't like it. In most sports the coach is the main or only person calling a timeout. I think it's weird and nit picky and will end in a lot of timeouts not getting called and shit quality plays being run in crunch time. I just don't see the point.

Political Hack
11-19-2015, 12:31 PM
The refs have to pay attention to the floor. Under the old rule they had to pay attention to the bench too. I can see the point, but really wonder how big of a deal it was. Sometimes I think they change stuff just to change stuff.

DudyDawg
11-19-2015, 12:45 PM
The refs have to pay attention to the floor. Under the old rule they had to pay attention to the bench too. I can see the point, but really wonder how big of a deal it was. Sometimes I think they change stuff just to change stuff.

But they didn't have to watch the coaches waiting for TO to be called. They had to listen and be aware but it's not like that hurt their ability to ref the floor. Most coaches call a timeout loud enough for the whole arena to hear.

Big4Dawg
11-19-2015, 12:47 PM
But they didn't have to watch the coaches waiting for TO to be called. They had to listen and be aware but it's not like that hurt their ability to ref the floor. Most coaches call a timeout loud enough for the whole arena to hear.

Then the players should hear it too and call it

DudyDawg
11-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Then the players should hear it too and call it

I agree. Unfortunately they haven't so far. A few games I've seen have turned to a mess late bc of it. And the coaches keep forgetting. Hopefully they all get used to it and it fixes, but I still don't think it makes sense.

mstatefan91
11-19-2015, 01:21 PM
I saw Howland trying to call timeout against Southern. I guess one of our players caught on cause it eventually did get called.

ckDOG
11-19-2015, 01:52 PM
I don't like making a rule against it. Refs should not be obligated to cater to the bench, but a coach should be allowed to get their attention and stop play. It's an art of coaching that some are better than others at.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2015, 02:02 PM
I really like every single rule change except for the elimination of the 5 second count.