PDA

View Full Version : Decent topic from SP: Is this Mullen's most talented team yet?

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
This is the only good thread on SP right now, and would be even better if some guy named "The General" would stop assuming that this year's team sucks.

To recap, so we don't have to cover the same ground: Many of the 2010 and 2011 teams players are in the NFL, but we have had the luxury of knowing that. Therefore, it is always easier to say that those teams are more talented because it is impossible to know whether or not a current player will make it to the NFL without having to speculate.

Me: I think that this is Mullen's most COMPLETE team. I think some of the other team's best players may have been more elite, but those team's worst players were also worse than this years team. Plus those teams had Lee and Relf at QB instead of Russell.

What say you?

hailmari
07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna go with "yes". I'm predict about ten future pros are on defense and a handful on offense (not just starters but I'm counting who I expect in the future).

messageboardsuperhero
07-31-2013, 07:28 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say yeah. It all depends on how guys develop; this question will be much easier in about two years.

Here are the guys that you know have the talent to make a roster: Autry, McKinney, Nickoe, Skinner, Russell, and Jackson.

Then there are plenty of others who have a chance: Quay, N. James, P. Smith, C. Jones, the Browns might, Eulls maybe, Redmond, a few of the OLs and RBs, M. Johnson, etc. etc. there are a lot more

This will be much easier to answer a few years down the road, but if I had to pick, I'd say this is his most talented team.

HancockCountyDog
07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
This is the only good thread on SP right now, and would be even better if some guy named "The General" would stop assuming that this year's team sucks.

To recap, so we don't have to cover the same ground: Many of the 2010 and 2011 teams players are in the NFL, but we have had the luxury of knowing that. Therefore, it is always easier to say that those teams are more talented because it is impossible to know whether or not a current player will make it to the NFL without having to speculate.

Me: I think that this is Mullen's most COMPLETE team. I think some of the other team's best players may have been more elite, but those team's worst players were also worse than this years team. Plus those teams had Lee and Relf at QB instead of Russell.

What say you?

It's hard to beat that 2010 team as far as taller.

Ballard
Wright
White
McPhee
Mitchell
Cox
Banks
Sherrod

You are talking about two first rounders, a pro bowler, and several starters in the NFL.

That team was beastly.

Coach34
07-31-2013, 07:46 PM
I still think Perkins gets drafted. He will have a good year because Mullen is going to give him the carries, and his combine workouts will boost him as well on speed and hands. He will be a 6-7 year NFL player as a 3rd down RB.

I say yes it is. The schemes we ran last year made our talent level look worse than it really was. Adjustments to the schemes plus another year of maturity and people gonna be surprised by State in 2013.

Coach34
07-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Off this current team, we could have 5 draft picks this year alone:

Autry
Whitley
Jackson
Russell
Perkins

mic
07-31-2013, 08:21 PM

Autry
Whitley
Jackson
Russell
Perkins

If Malcom blows up he could leave early as well..

gravedigger
07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
talent wise sure. Coaching wise, we'll have to see.

Jack Lambert
08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Russell may never be a starter in the NFL but i think he will be on a roster for a long while. He is the proto type QB for the NFL.

bocfarm
08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Russell may never be a starter in the NFL but i think he will be on a roster for a long while. He is the proto type QB for the NFL.

Very similar to Charlie Batch in more ways than one

MSUDawg4Life
08-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I definitely think this is most complete and deepest team Mullen has had here.

RougeDawg
08-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Mullen has brought in some of the best, most consistent recruiting classed we've ever seen. The reason outsiders think he cant recruit is because a top 25 class is only top 12 SEC. They lose perspective on that and dont factor in the attrition rates vs other schools. We've kept most players we've signed and most of the top tier guys. This over time will begin to show effects. I think it was Engie on Sixpack, who broke down schools recruiting classes on signing day and then now and OM's championship classes have lost a lot of players, including most of their 4-5* guys. You cant just base recruiting on one day in February. Even then you can't base future results based on a players *****'s. Just look at Banks. 2* nobody even looked at but us. Dan saw something in him when no one else did or even bothered. As unorthodox as it seems to others, Dan knows what he's doing, and is a brilliant coach. Patience is a virtue.

Also, Mullen has been able to build depth through redshirting a ton of guys the past couple years. This will pay off now because we have 2-3 deep on both sides of the ball, that can step up and play SEC football. His first couple years, we couldn't say that. There may be a little dropoff from our 1's to 2's, but when he first got here, if a #1 went down it was like we had 10 men on the field. We have a stable of Running backs and a young group of talented LB's. Couple that with the depth we now have on both lines and you have a solid team. Dan is able to take a 3* guy, develop him over a year, and have him a 4-5* guy by his redshirt freshman year.

Engie, can you repost the recruiting class rankings you developed after attrition?

Big4Dawg
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Mullen has brought in some of the best, most consistent recruiting classed we've ever seen. The reason outsiders think he cant recruit is because a top 25 class is only top 12 SEC. They lose perspective on that and dont factor in the attrition rates vs other schools. We've kept most players we've signed and most of the top tier guys. This over time will begin to show effects. I think it was Engie on Sixpack, who broke down schools recruiting classes on signing day and then now and OM's championship classes have lost a lot of players, including most of their 4-5* guys. You cant just base recruiting on one day in February. Even then you can't base future results based on a players *****'s. Just look at Banks. 2* nobody even looked at but us. Dan saw something in him when no one else did or even bothered. As unorthodox as it seems to others, Dan knows what he's doing, and is a brilliant coach. Patience is a virtue.

Also, Mullen has been able to build depth through redshirting a ton of guys the past couple years. This will pay off now because we have 2-3 deep on both sides of the ball, that can step up and play SEC football. His first couple years, we couldn't say that. There may be a little dropoff from our 1's to 2's, but when he first got here, if a #1 went down it was like we had 10 men on the field. We have a stable of Running backs and a young group of talented LB's. Couple that with the depth we now have on both lines and you have a solid team. Dan is able to take a 3* guy, develop him over a year, and have him a 4-5* guy by his redshirt freshman year.

Engie, can you repost the recruiting class rankings you developed after attrition?

Actually, Croom offered Banks and he committed on 04/27/2008. Mullen was hired 12/7/08. Carry on

engie
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Autry
Whitley
Jackson
Russell
Perkins

I'd add Skinner to that list of possible picks for sure.

That's 5 or 6 of 10 total seniors remaining(assuming Swede is on scholarship to make #10). That's pretty incredible really. Also not counting Swedenberg who could easily make a roster IMO. No better hangtime or "net" punter in the country coming out... And Siddoway will get invited to a camp too IMO. Only graduating seniors I don't see at least getting a cup of coffee at the NFL level is probably Harrison-Gay and Holley.

Roster(scholarship) seniors:
Autry
Harrison-Gay
Holley
Jackson
Perkins
Russell
Siddoway
Skinner
Swedenberg
Whitley

engie
08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
So, yes, I think it's our most talented team yet. Not at every position, certainly, but it's got the fewest weaknesses of any we've had thusfar -- and next year's team will be even better.

Autry to Chris Jones/Ryan Brown/AJ Jefferson = push, possible upgrade if Jones is who we think he is
Russell to Dak = push at worse in this offense(with how Russell is currently being used)
Perkins to Robinson = push at worse in this offense(with how Perkins is currently being used)
Gabe to ?? = downgrade probable -- but being surrounded by rsSRs at C and LT(with >30 starts apiece) will mask it
Skinner to Brown(s) = push at worse
Siddoway to JUCO(s) = push
Whitley to (probably) Cox = push at worse

This roster is to the point that losing NFL talent is not going to hurt us so bad anymore IMO... That's the first time since I've been around that I could say this across the board -- because there's more NFL talent in waiting. Now, losing early round NFL talent(Gabe Jackson, etc) will certainly still hurt...

Political Hack
08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
NFL level talent on defense:
Autry
Quay
James
Dale
Richie
BMac
Wells
Cox
Jiles
Redmond
Nickoe
Jones
Eulls
PJ
and probably a few more I'm missing.

Not saying all these guys will make the league, but they all have the talent to do it.

rtdawg
08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I still think Perkins gets drafted. He will have a good year because Mullen is going to give him the carries, and his combine workouts will boost him as well on speed and hands. He will be a 6-7 year NFL player as a 3rd down RB.

I say yes it is. The schemes we ran last year made our talent level look worse than it really was. Adjustments to the schemes plus another year of maturity and people gonna be surprised by State in 2013.

Coach-Just curious as to why you have the confidence you do about our schemes changing from what we did last year to this one? I certainly hope you are right in this, just wanted to see what makes you so confident.

Coach34
08-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Coach-Just curious as to why you have the confidence you do about our schemes changing from what we did last year to this one? I certainly hope you are right in this, just wanted to see what makes you so confident.

Collins had a good defense when he was a DC before coming to State- he did not play a read and react passive style of defense. So that will most assuredly change.

Mullen is not a dumbass and saw the problems we had last year. They spent this Spring working on new sets and doing some different things with Tyler under Center. They didnt spend time doing that for nothing.

We wont see a major overhaul on offense- but we will most assuredly do some things differently.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-01-2013, 10:36 PM

What do you expect from someone who couldn't pass basic entrance requirements from any of the branches of the Armed Forces (not even the USCG), but refers to himself as a general? It is actually insulting to people who have actually served.

ETA: yes, this is Mullen's most complete, deepest team.

engie
08-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Collins had a good defense when he was a DC before coming to State- he did not play a read and react passive style of defense. So that will most assuredly change.

Making a new thread for "the book on Collins" that I'm working now. Think it deserves it's own thread given the speculation and discussion about him...