PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Coaches Carousel

War Machine Dawg
11-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Let's assume the following jobs will all be open this offseason. Rank them from best to worst. Really interested to get a board consensus. I'll stipulate that if Saban bolts for the NFL, Bama is the automatic #1 available job. Here are the schools:

LSU, USC, SCar, UGA, aTm, OK State, Oklahoma, Mizzou, Miami, VT, Maryland

ETA: Added a few of the big schools currently open that I'd forgotten. Rank accordingly.

bobcat91
11-18-2015, 04:03 PM
USC, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, TAMU, Oklahoma State, South Carolina.

Some are better now because of the ease in getting to the CFP.

bgover4
11-18-2015, 04:07 PM
How many coaches jobs do we already know that will be available. USCe, USCw, Mizzou, Miami, VT, Maryland, UCF and i think there are a few other smaller schools. LSU and UGA would be foolish to jump out there this year with that much competition for coaches.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2015, 04:08 PM
LSU - Great local recruiting ground and national brand. Edges USC due to more controlled environment and less headaches.

USC - Everything that LSU provides with more headaches

Oklahoma - Access to Texas recruiting, national brand, and a more blue collar local recruiting ground.

Georgia - Great local recruiting ground, great town, national brand, but an apathetic fanbase. Bama not in division

A&M - everything you need except toughness. Great local recruiting ground that lacks tough kids. Have to beat Bama and LSU

Ok State and SCAR are equal.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2015, 04:26 PM
LSU - Great local recruiting ground and national brand. Edges USC due to more controlled environment and less headaches.

USC - Everything that LSU provides with more headaches

Oklahoma - Access to Texas recruiting, national brand, and a more blue collar local recruiting ground.

Georgia - Great local recruiting ground, great town, national brand, but an apathetic fanbase. Bama not in division

A&M - everything you need except toughness. Great local recruiting ground that lacks tough kids. Have to beat Bama and LSU

Ok State and SCAR are equal.

I put LSU way down that list due to one thing.....unrealistic fan expectations. They are foaming at the mouth to fire a coach that wins 10 games a year. Saban got out as quick as he could. Only the mad hatter would hang around as long as he has.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2015, 04:31 PM
aTm - nothing except a good coach holding them back from winning the NC, probably multiple times. They have more money than God. They laugh at Bama's money.

USC - $$$$$$$$ plus great recruiting and very manageable schedule. Also great media love!!!

Georgia - only competing with Florida to win the east. Great name recognition for recruiting

LSU - fans are total head case idiots. Local media are same said idiots. These people are extremists.

Oklahoma
South Carolina
Ok. St.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Let's assume the following jobs will all be open this offseason. Rank them from best to worst. Really interested to get a board consensus. I'll stipulate that if Saban bolts for the NFL, Bama is the automatic #1 available job. Here are the schools:

ETA: Added a few of the big schools currently open that I'd forgotten. Rank accordingly.

USC
LSU
UGA
A&M
OKL
OK ST
VA TECH
MIAMI
SOUTH CAROLINA
MIZZOU
MARYLAND

Johnson85
11-18-2015, 05:49 PM
aTm - nothing except a good coach holding them back from winning the NC, probably multiple times. They have more money than God. They laugh at Bama's money.

A&M has been a sleeping giant for a long time. If they were that much of a sure thing, it would have happened by now.

Johnson85
11-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Tier 1
USC & LSU - which one is better depends on whether the coach cares about anything but football. If you only care about football and winning a championship, LSU is the better job. USC basically comes with all the advantages of a school like LSU but without the headaches of an insane fan base and administration.

Second Tier
UGA & A&M & OKL - UGA and A&M are similar. Great recruiting grounds but don't have it to themselves. Both are perennial underachievers. I'd take UGA over A&M just because A&M has been a sleeping giant for so long, to me there must be something not obvious that makes it not as good as it should be. Plus, UGA's only obstacle to the SEC CG is UF, where as A&M has LSU and Bama. Oklahoma should be well behind both of these, but they have enough of a name that they can recruit regionally strongly and can be a player nationally, and most importantly all they have to do is make it through the big 12 to get to the playoffs. If it weren't for the easier path, they'd be in a lower tier.

Third Tier
OK ST, VA TECH, and MIAMI - Miami is not the school it used to be. None of these schools are likely to win a championship in teh foreseeable future, but they all offer opportunities to consistently have good winning seasons.

Fourth Tier
SOUTH CAROLINA, MIZZOU, and MARYLAND - USCe and Mizzou I think have both had what is going to look like an atypical run laterly. Mizzou has to take Big 12 talent and compete in teh SEC. They have managed to get to the SEC CG twice while only beating one good team. But they've also finished last int eh division once and will finish pretty low this year. I think you're going to see that become pretty typical. USCe also benefited from an overall down east although they've had some good years. I think you'll see Mizzou and USCe settle into a tier above Vandy and UK. Maryland at least doesn't have SEC pressure; not sure it has much else going for it even though it's had some good years recently also.

ScottH
11-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Is Pickens more of a help or hinderance at Ok St?

I have never followed them but have read about the Gundy/Pickens discord.

He and I were on the same elevator leaving the boxes at the MSU OkSU game at Reliant. He spoke and wished MSU well the rest of the year. He had on some jamming orange ostrich boots.

There are really only a hand full of schools that have a single donor that can pull the strings. he is one of them.

War Machine Dawg
11-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Tier 1
USC & LSU - which one is better depends on whether the coach cares about anything but football. If you only care about football and winning a championship, LSU is the better job. USC basically comes with all the advantages of a school like LSU but without the headaches of an insane fan base and administration.

Second Tier
UGA & A&M & OKL - UGA and A&M are similar. Great recruiting grounds but don't have it to themselves. Both are perennial underachievers. I'd take UGA over A&M just because A&M has been a sleeping giant for so long, to me there must be something not obvious that makes it not as good as it should be. Plus, UGA's only obstacle to the SEC CG is UF, where as A&M has LSU and Bama. Oklahoma should be well behind both of these, but they have enough of a name that they can recruit regionally strongly and can be a player nationally, and most importantly all they have to do is make it through the big 12 to get to the playoffs. If it weren't for the easier path, they'd be in a lower tier.

Third Tier
OK ST, VA TECH, and MIAMI - Miami is not the school it used to be. None of these schools are likely to win a championship in teh foreseeable future, but they all offer opportunities to consistently have good winning seasons.

Fourth Tier
SOUTH CAROLINA, MIZZOU, and MARYLAND - USCe and Mizzou I think have both had what is going to look like an atypical run laterly. Mizzou has to take Big 12 talent and compete in teh SEC. They have managed to get to the SEC CG twice while only beating one good team. But they've also finished last int eh division once and will finish pretty low this year. I think you're going to see that become pretty typical. USCe also benefited from an overall down east although they've had some good years. I think you'll see Mizzou and USCe settle into a tier above Vandy and UK. Maryland at least doesn't have SEC pressure; not sure it has much else going for it even though it's had some good years recently also.

Maryland has massive money. The UnderArmour owner is a Maryland grad and he's becoming their Phil Knight at Oregon. Will that be enough to make them competitive and an attractive job is the question.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2015, 07:13 PM
A&M has been a sleeping giant for a long time. If they were that much of a sure thing, it would have happened by now.

I just disagree. They got serious when they joined the SEC. All they need is a coach now. I don't know anything about their AD but if he's any good, he'll hire the right fit that will take them to the SEC CG over and over.

gravedigger
11-18-2015, 07:38 PM
a&m
LSU
Oklahoma
UGA
USC
OK State
VT
Maryland
Mizzou
SCar
Miami

sleepy dawg
11-18-2015, 09:22 PM
I'll base it on the jobs I'd be most likely to take, but might not necisarily be "the best". Pay rate wouldn't be a big deal to me since all can pay good. I'd be more interested in ease of making it to the playoffs, expectations/pressure, and how much I'd be willing to live there... probably in that order.

USC
Oklahoma
LSU
aTm
UGA
VT
Maryland
Mizzou
SCar
OK State
Miami... I've just heard too many bad things about this place to want to go there.

Bothrops
11-18-2015, 09:40 PM

#1 LSU....Would anyone need to explain?

#2 UGA
#3 ATM
#4 USC
#5 Oklahoma
#6 SC
#7 OK State
#8 VT
#9 Miami
#10 Mizzou
#11 Maryland

SDDawg
11-18-2015, 09:56 PM
How many of those is Freeze the top candidate for?! All of 'em, amirite?

Reunion Dog
11-19-2015, 12:24 PM
LSU hands down. I was fortunate to enough to work for Coach Joe Dean @ LSU after graduate school in Sports Management for several years. LSU school has NUMEROUS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in other sports than just football. The fan base is second to none... game atmosphere is second to none. The Capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge. If you think the Mississippi Legislature is favored towards TSUN... you should see watch how its done in Baton Rouge...The Saints are second tier compared to LSU, not only in the state but regional states as well.

The have the best football tradition in the country and most difficult place to play in the country. I have been fortunate to have been to all SEC venues... Nothing compares to LSU on a Saturday nite... not even close. Money is not an issue with them. Lots of oil money has been made during past 8 years and their money endowment is in the size of A&M....

Also, LSU and MS State Retirement can be added to each one... meaning if you have 7 years in State of MS retirement... then you may take that with you and automatically have 7 years in the LSU system.

Don't kid yourselves.. If they get rid of Les... They will come after Dan... Mullen has PROVEN without a doubt that he can coach with less and be legitimate in the SEC West. He has the ability to recruit that state and steal some guys right in front of their guys. Also, LSU is able to pay their assistants so much better than we are. If we keep Dan... he need to get his assistant coaches raises.. That will do him more good than making an extra Million in his own contract. LOYALTY goes a long way in showing people that they mean something... Mullen's ego isn't nearly as arrogant as it was when he took the job at State. Let's hope we win out and then WE AS A SCHOOL, administrators along with Bulldog Club members, need to step up and make our Assistant Coaches our NO.1 priority.

If Mullen just wants a raise to make $6M a year.. He has earned that right. Let's hope he realizes its time to pay his assistants and catch up with the other SEC members in that category. Mullen will leave at some point... but he will not leave unless it is for a potential top 5 school. LSU & Bama are 2 of those.... but it has to be hard on a coach, players and assistant coaches to be able to win in the SEC West. It would be much easier to go to a Top 5 school not in the SEC West to make a run. But then do you have all the decision making there like Dan has at State?

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Lots of oil money has been made during past 8 years and their money endowment is in the size of A&M....

I agree with much of what you said, but this is ridiculously incorrect

http://i.imgur.com/GvCE57V.jpg

Reunion Dog
11-19-2015, 12:51 PM
don't know the calendar year of this... also don't know what each school counts for endowments. some use academics, corporate matching and then for profit companies such as Exxon, IBM, Microsoft and Intel, along with Defense contracts that use schools research facilities that either donate or build buildings then donate them to school.. like Honda did with us about 10 years ago. Honda gave MSU the building and equipment that was said to be worth $10M... but all it was for Honda was a tax write off & contribution of their Main Corporation... which in turn was a good PR move for them.

Vandy, I can see becasue it's a private school... but no way LSU is that low... not all things are being counted here...

and for us... Shows you how bad our Bulldog Club is and there is no telling the amount of salaries we pay for some of those idiots. All but one or two of them will not leave Starkville on a daily basis unless its to travel with the team to an away game. Mississippi State is more than just the county of Oktibbeha county... no leadership in their...The Male cheer leader from Jackson Prep has his kiss a$$ puppets in there. You can on our hand and just use 2 fingers about people who aren't afraid to make a decision without his OK'ing it... or his father in law Bailey Howell... what a joke..

Political Hack
11-19-2015, 01:03 PM
LSU, USCe

UGA, A&M

OU, OSU, SC

VT, Mizzu

Maryland

Miami

AusTexDawg
11-19-2015, 02:41 PM
#1 - LSU: in-state recruiting, no (serious) in-state competition, proximity to TX for recruiting, solid tradition
#2 - Southern Cal: few schools have better tradition, excellent recruiting. Downsides include distractions/scrutiny, maybe some academic requirements (definitely harder to get into than LSU)
#3 - TAMU: If I were rating this by where it is today, it would be below UGA & Oklahoma; however, A&M has more potential upside than most. If they could ever get everyone pulling in the same direction, out-recruit Baylor (never thought I'd say that), and take advantage of the Longhorns being stuck in the ditch, A&M could make some noise.
#4 - UGA: the rip against Mark Richt is that he underachieves by only winning 8-10 games most years. Even in the Goff & Donnan eras, UGA wasn't bad. Great recruiting area (even with more competition). Success may depend on how well 'Bama, Auburn, Clemson and FL State are doing. If two of those schools fall into a rut and UGA capitalizes on recruiting, they could be dangerous.
#5 Oklahoma: Top flight tradition, but very dependent on Texas for recruiting. While they were a juggernaut in the '50s and '80s, some of that had to do with feasting on Big 8 weaklings (the same way Nebraska made its reputation). Even if the folks in Norman are tired of Stoops, I wouldn't want to be the coach that followed him. I'd wait until they hire the next John Blake and follow him.
#6 tie - Mizzou, OK State & Virginia Tech: Each school has been consistent under its longtime coach. They have the potential to exceed their past successes, but it takes the right coach and the right circumstances. If I were RichRod, I would hightail-it to Blacksburg. OK State can't be successful without someone who can recruit Texas.
#7 tie - Miami & Maryland: Miami's tradition doesn't extend past my lifetime, but it has seen the same heights as OU and USC. Miami is like a British Lord today who has a fancy title but can't afford to fix up the mansion that he inherited. Like the 20th century represented the sunset of the British Empire, the last dozen years represent the fall of Miami. Like Britain, it doesn't have the funds or the hunger to be what it once was. Maryland has the UnderArmour hookup, and I actually like their Maryland Pride uniforms (hated their throwbacks earlier this year). Maryland is near fertile recruiting grounds, too. However, if I'm a coach, I don't want to go anywhere near Maryland until everyone who was involved in firing Ralph Friedgen is gone and they finish paying off their debts accrued from joining the Big Ten. If the same administration is there and the financial pressures of recent years have not been relieved, it's asking too much to play in the same division as Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. Either a more understanding administration or less financial pressure would balance the downsides of divisional play.
#8 - SCar: Carolina has potential and is an SEC job. Eastern division job is attractive, but if Spurrier was surpassed by Dabo, I'm not sure this is a great job as long as Clemson is on it's current run. The HBC did a lot to take the focus off of Clemson, but that's a blood feud. Long-term success at South Carolina is probably dependent on mediocrity at UGA.