PDA

View Full Version : CFP Polls....

CarolinaDawgs
11-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Memphis loses to unranked navy @HOME and 24 ranked Houston (which is overrated as well) and doesn't drop in the polls.. We lose to the best team in the country and we drop out.

Is there an explanation for this?

maroonmania
11-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Not that being in the 20s is a big deal anyway, but yes, I was shocked that Memphis remained in anyone's poll after blowing the Houston game like they did.

defiantdog
11-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Memphis loses to unranked navy @HOME and 24 ranked Houston (which is overrated as well) and doesn't drop in the polls.. We lose to the best team in the country and we drop out.

Is there an explanation for this?

It's a committee..... The CFB committee is more useless then common core math.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2015, 04:33 PM
It's a committee..... The CFB committee is more useless then common core math.

Yep. I lost all excitement about the playoff when I heard the word committee. It's like expecting congress to do something intelligent.

defiantdog
11-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Yep. I lost all excitement about the playoff when I heard the word committee. It's like expecting congress to do something intelligent.

It's doomed committee because of its political aspect. Condoleezza Rice and Mike Gould might be experts in their respective field, but they aren't football experts. Then you have 4 active AD's and a few more big heads that, in no way, can vote objectively. The system is a joke.

Quaoarsking
11-19-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm afraid the only way left to do it objectively is to condense down to just 4 conferences of 16-20 teams, let the Big 10 and Pac-12 champions always play in the Rose Bowl, the SEC and Leftover Conference champions always play in the Sugar, and then the winners play for the title.

That way, there's never a poll, never a committee, never a formula. It's entirely based on your record on the field.

Johnson85
11-19-2015, 07:27 AM

The committee idea was always dumb. The BCS formula was actually really good. They should have just used it to fill a four team playoff. The committee only exists because other conferences were worried that the BCS system would result in too many sec teams and they needed a political factor to ensure no major conference champion is left out I. Favor of a one loss sec team.

msstate7
11-19-2015, 07:48 AM
The committee idea was always dumb. The BCS formula was actually really good. They should have just used it to fill a four team playoff. The committee only exists because other conferences were worried that the BCS system would result in too many sec teams and they needed a political factor to ensure no major conference champion is left out I. Favor of a one loss sec team.

Doesn't someone still do the bcs rankings? Anyone know those rankings?

Quaoarsking
11-19-2015, 09:00 AM

Actually the computer polls in the BCS were nonsense. They weren't allowed to consider margin of victory. And 5 of the 6 had secret formulas, so no one would ever know if there was a mistake. The 1 that wasn't secret actually did have a mistake one time in the final rankings and they had to be adjusted a few days later, so it happens.